PDA

View Full Version : Student Tickets Cost, Fan Support & Consession Sales

MojoRisen
1/22/2009, 11:05 AM
Sooner Board,

This was news to me last night that student tickets are costing the students 35$ per ticket per game. The introduction of a refund for 130$ if students attend 16 of 17 home games is in place as if that is some kind of big attraction.

Not for nothing, but I grew up in Oklahoma and my Father went and played BB at OU on scholarship. I endedup attending the University of Cincinatti because it was in state and affordable with a solid Biz program.

Student tickets at the shoe maker center were free for students, two tickets each or per ID with tuition - subject to availability.

The Shoe always sold out 13,000 seats for the most part.

My point is, the student tickets should be free - Period.

The weird thing about the Shoe in Cinci is that they also sold Beer up until about 10 minutes left in the game, if the university is worried about money couldn't they just sell beer to students who are over 21?

That is a whole other issue, but I was shocked that the tickets cost the students 35$, and we never had incident at the Shoe for selling beer, 2 beers per ID.

The student section rocked

That is all...

A-M
1/22/2009, 11:11 AM
I too was a little shocked when I heard that the students were paying $35.00a ticket for the bb games. Sounds a little high to me. Even after a student receives the refund, it still cost a student almost $28.00 per game. The original $595.00 is a lot of money to come up with to buy the tickets in the first place.

sooner518
1/22/2009, 11:13 AM
holy crap! that is ridiculous! are we sure that this is really what they cost the students?

MojoRisen
1/22/2009, 11:23 AM
That is what they said last night on National TV~

If I could get 2 tickets for free at UC, and you had to get in line for them at a cost of 28$each, we are talking about 56$ per game.

That is a lot of Pizza & Beer to be watching the games from the dorm rooms.

Just sayin

Sooner04
1/22/2009, 12:07 PM
I think your numbers are a bit off. I don't have the exact number on me, but I have no idea where you're getting this $35 a game stuff. I think it's much, MUCH, cheaper than that.

yermom
1/22/2009, 12:08 PM
ok, i was hoping someone was hearing something wrong...

STUDENT SEASON TICKET $130
(23% discount)
NEW Rebate offer
Just by attending (or having someone else use your season ticket) you will have the opportunity to have the Athletics Department
purchase your ticket for you. At the completion of the season, those student season ticket holders that went to 16 or more of the
games (90%) will have a $130 credit put back on their bursar account and anyone who attended at least 14 of the games (80%) will
have a $50 credit.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/20080909_mbb_student_policy.pdf

MojoRisen
1/22/2009, 12:24 PM
I don't think I was the only one who heard 35$ per Ticket last night on TV - I appologize but was just repeating what was said.

They should be free- any given game people may want to get in.

Maybe there were saying that if you do not have season ticket the cost is 35$ per game. They definitely said 35$ a game, I am not sure if that was accurate as they were having Students practice Announcing and handling the production of the Broadcast.

yermom
1/22/2009, 12:57 PM
yeah, maybe the annoucers heard it wrong :)

that actually seems pretty cool. i mean students can just charge it to their bursar account anyway

i agree though, anyone with a student ID just getting in and getting into a GA area would be pretty cool. not everyone thinks about it beforehand and buys tickets. it would make it easier for the casual fan to get into going to games

sooner518
1/22/2009, 01:28 PM
i do remember hearing them say something about $35 per ticket last night, but I discounted it because last night's broadcast was so bush league anyways. I figured (correctly) that they had their facts wrong

OUstud
1/22/2009, 04:01 PM
I wish they'd take out the seats in the SS and put in bleachers. Me and my friends showed up late (pregaming, you know; and by late I mean right at the national anthem) and it was full. We wound up getting better seats anyway, but it sucked sitting down, not having vocal fans around us, etc. When the students would sit down we'd see like 2-3 empty seats per row, which with bleachers wouldn't be an issue. If they're going to do general admission they need bleachers.

there there
1/22/2009, 04:08 PM
They are definately not $35 per game. Season tickets are $130 (potentially free). For individual games I know the texas game was 10, so I'm assuming big 12 games are 10 and the non-conference games were less.

MojoRisen
1/22/2009, 04:11 PM
Bleachers at the Shoe behind each basket, nobody cared how loud the students got because they were all together in bleachers. If you were 21 you could buy beer... They only had a few beer stands so the line was ussually real long and people were not totally getting ****ty at the game-based on how it was distributed.

I found this, so I guess the Lady Annoucer who was interviewing a student and promoting the refund was wrong with the 35$ unless the students sit on level one for a conference game.

Seating Levels Season Tickets
Single-Game Tickets
Premier** Conference Nonconference
Level 1
(LE, LW, RE, & RW) $490.00* $60.00 $35.00 $30.00
Level 2
(LS, LN, E, & W) $325.00* $45.00 $25.00 $20.00
Level 3
(N & S) $190.00 $30.00 $10.00 $10.00

NormanPride
1/22/2009, 04:30 PM
There is no way in hell we sell beer at LNC. Boren is so anti-alcohol it's not even funny. Thanks, greek.

cheezyq
1/22/2009, 05:45 PM
From what I understand, it's not the "selling out" or "not selling out" that's the problem. The problem, at least during the few games I've had the opportunity to attend, is that most of the fans who DO attend aren't there to cheer on the team. They're there to be entertained, and so they sit on their butts during the whole game, rarely cheering regardless of what happens on the court. It's almost as if they're at a golf match, where you would expect to face a chorus of "shhhh" if you do anything louder than a light golf clap.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/22/2009, 06:06 PM
our tickets were $35 for the season

BoomerSoonerGoOU
1/23/2009, 02:59 AM
I am a student season ticket holder. They are $10 a piece... at least for the conference games. I don't remember what the lower OOC ticket prices were. They are definitely not $35.

badger
1/23/2009, 05:28 AM
Ok... CLARIFICATION TIME...

If you are a non-student, those same seats would probably cost $35.

If you are a student, they cost LESS.

As in, $130-for-the-entire-season LESS.

It's like fooseball, people. Non-students don't pay... $15? $20? $25? Whatever the student cost is for a football ticket. Us alums pay around $50 at least! If they were the same seats that students got, between the 30 yard line and the endzone, it would likely be more! But, they're cheap because they're for students.

So anyways, not sure how this got started on the wrong foot. We had a big long thread here before the season praising the plan that would get students in their seats for games ... and it's working. Students would not buy tix at those prices on their bursar unless they're already get a free education from mommy and daddy... and even then they might not with parental intervention.

I cite this (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/20080909_mbb_student_policy.pdf) for my statement that student tix are free if you attend 90 percent of games! Read it if you think otherwise!

okienole3
1/23/2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah. Mine are $35 a ticket, with the exception of Texas, Kansas and OSU which were $60 :eek:

yermom
1/23/2009, 09:18 AM
Ok... CLARIFICATION TIME...

If you are a non-student, those same seats would probably cost $35.

If you are a student, they cost LESS.

As in, $130-for-the-entire-season LESS.

It's like fooseball, people. Non-students don't pay... $15? $20? $25? Whatever the student cost is for a football ticket. Us alums pay around $50 at least! If they were the same seats that students got, between the 30 yard line and the endzone, it would likely be more! But, they're cheap because they're for students.

So anyways, not sure how this got started on the wrong foot. We had a big long thread here before the season praising the plan that would get students in their seats for games ... and it's working. Students would not buy tix at those prices on their bursar unless they're already get a free education from mommy and daddy... and even then they might not with parental intervention.

I cite this (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/20080909_mbb_student_policy.pdf) for my statement that student tix are free if you attend 90 percent of games! Read it if you think otherwise!

Badger has me on ignore :(

;)