PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sick and tired of this crap.....

PhiDeltBeers
1/22/2009, 08:49 AM
Dave Sittlers article on the Nebish game (//http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=202&articleid=20090122_202_B1_OUsWil67526)

SoonersEnFuego
1/22/2009, 08:58 AM
He's acting like we lost.

SoonersEnFuego
1/22/2009, 09:00 AM
Game proves Sooners have respect to earn
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/Thumbs/20090122_b1oubkb0122p3_package.jpg (http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090122_b1oubkb0122p3.jpg)
OU's Willie Warren tries to fight off Nebraska's Cookie Miller (left) and Sek Henry for a loose ball Wednesday in Norman. CORY YOUNG/Tulsa World

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/thumbs/20090122_B1_sittler-dave_thumb.jpg (http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/thumbs/20090122_B1_sittler-dave_thumb.jpg)

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist (http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/authors.aspx?a=DAVE-SITTLER-WORLD-SPORTS-COLUMNIST)
Published: 1/22/2009 2:29 AM
Last Modified: 1/22/2009 3:31 AM

NORMAN — Perhaps it's time for Oklahoma's basketball team to consider changing its nickname back from the Aretha Franklins to the Sooners.

For the past few games, coach Jeff Capel and his players have sounded a whole lot like Ms. Franklin as they repeatedly sang a version of the tune that made her famous — R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Capel went on a rant last week, explaining that he was tired of the critics who questioned if his team was worthy of its No. 6 national ranking.

He wasn't amused when the media and some fans brought up what appeared to be some OU shortcomings — suspect guard play, a lack of quality depth, questionable perimeter shooting, a lack of defensive purpose and a dependence on superstar sophomore Blake Griffin.

"Everyone talks about everyone else," said Capel, complaining about the lack of national attention his team has received. "We don't (even) get any respect in our own state."

See, there's Ms. Franklin's favorite word again.

So Capel wants respect? OK, coach, earn it.

And here's how: Win the Big 12 Conference championship or the league tournament (or both), get a No. 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament and go deep in the Big Dance instead of losing by 30 points in the second round like last season.

Until then, cool it on playing the lack-of-respect card.

Oh, it'd also be a good idea to not let undersized, double-digit underdog Nebraska scare the bejesus out of you on your home court.
That's what the Cornhuskers did to the Franklins, err, the Sooners, Wednesday night at the Lloyd Noble Center.

Yes, OU improved to an impressive 18-1 overall and 4-0 in the Big 12. But don't let the margin in OU's 72-61 win fool you. The Cornhuskers were up six at halftime and only down 57-55 with less than three minutes left in the contest.

Now, remember, this is a Nebraska team that is challenged big time in the height department. Husker coach Doc Sadler doesn't give serious playing minutes to anyone taller than 6-foot-5.

And yet there were the Huskers making the OU critics look prophetic in the first half. They outrebounded the much-taller Sooners, held OU's perimeter shooters to just one of their last nine attempts from 3-point range, limited OU's bench players to a single point, outworked them on defense, hit the 3-ball on offense when OU was slow to guard them and forced the Sooners totally out of their game plan.

At the half, Husker forward Ryan Anderson had 17 points. A nonstarter who was averaging 4.9 points a contest, Anderson took advantage of a lackadaisical Sooner defense by popping treys from deep in the corner before a defender could locate him.

Basketball can be a pretty simple game when you have a 6-10 stud like Griffin. When everyone who guards him is at least five inches shorter, it's wise to tell the big fellow to get down low on the block and go to work.

When Griffin launched his first shot from 3-point range, one got the idea that it was the Sooners who were showing a lack of respect. It sure looked like they were dissing their opponent when Griffin put up such a low-percentage shot when the shots from point-blank range were there for the taking by the national-player-of-the-year candidate.

Griffin didn't score his first field goal until nearly 12 minutes into the game. His monster slam with 8:17 left in the first half seemed to finally awaken Griffin to the fact he could score at will down low, which he proceeded to do the rest of the evening. That dunk was the first of nine consecutive shots Griffin made inside. Once he got his head into the game, Griffin took it over as he finished with 27 points and 18 rebounds.

"He's a great player," Sadler said of Griffin. "He's a load. He's a huge load."

But that was Sadler's game plan — let Griffin get his, but hold down the rest of the Sooners. And it almost worked, until guard Austin Johnson added nine second-half points to help put the pesky Huskers (12-5, 2-2) away.

"I didn't like the way we played the first half," Capel said. "We played in the first half, and we competed in the second half."

If Capel and Sooners want to reach their lofty goals, they better learn to compete for 60 minutes. If they do, they'll earn all the respect they can handle.How do new OSU defensive coordinator Bill Young and new New York Jets coach Rex Ryan tie into a dark period in OU football? Read Dave Sittler's blog at
tulsaworld.com/sportsextra (http://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra)

(http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/authors.aspx?a=DAVE-SITTLER-WORLD-SPORTS-COLUMNIST)

OUSKINS
1/22/2009, 09:05 AM
Someone send him a memo that a college basketball game is 40 minutes long, not 60.

PhiDeltBeers
1/22/2009, 09:07 AM
I hope the Tulsa World doesn't pay him much money. If he wants to stir a pot he can go somewhere else and do it. No Sooner fan wants to read his negative articles and this is the exact thing that Capel is fed up with. Chumps like Sittler.

PhiDeltBeers
1/22/2009, 09:13 AM
I left him a little note!

MojoRisen
1/22/2009, 09:15 AM
This dude is way over the top, I can take critics but this guy is just trying to pile on. OU did not play with a lot of desire last night and were going through the motions for most of the game. I got the feeling they felt they could pull away at anytime. I did not like that what I saw last night, but that doesn't take away from our other games we have won in a big fashion or against top comp.

PhiDeltBeers
1/22/2009, 10:09 AM
I do believe OU is the only team in the nation with 18 wins. That deserves a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Crimsontothecore
1/22/2009, 10:17 AM
I agree Sittler is a little over the top with his criticism but I must agree with him that Capel should let the "lack of respect" thing go.

I heard Capel interviewed by Al Eshbach a couple weeks ago and he was voicing his criticism of the fan support his team gets. He said that he "holds his breath" as he walks down the tunnel wondering what he's going to see. Well Jeff, this IS a school with a traditional football power and b-ball will probably always play second fiddle. Surely you knew that before you took the job.

I was baffled by Capel's decision to do away with midnight madness. If you want more fan support then maybe start by not eliminating the one event that allows fans to interact with the players and get to know them for one night. The reason Capel gave for the move was "we never did that at Duke, so why do it here?" Well, the last time I checked Duke didn't have a football team that attracted 80,000+ every Saturday and was top-5. If all your school lives for is b-ball then midnight madness is probably a waste of time but this is OU.

bigtime
1/22/2009, 10:23 AM
I was baffled by Capel's decision to do away with midnight madness. If you want more fan support then maybe start by not eliminating the one event that allows fans to interact with the players and get to know them for one night. The reason Capel gave for the move was "we never did that at Duke, so why do it here?" Well, the last time I checked Duke didn't have a football team that attracted 80,000+ every Saturday and was top-5. If all your school lives for is b-ball then midnight madness is probably a waste of time but this is OU.

I am sorry but you are dead wrong on why Capel did away with the MM. He did away with it because he was told it was a big deal and invited some top recruits to the one three years ago. There was nobody there, and it made him look foolish in front of the recruits. Why should he have a MM when nobody shows up? The Duke explanation was a nice way of explaining why without calling out the fans.

He is going to continue to have an open scrimmage. I thought the one in the fieldhouse was really a success this year....

starrca23
1/22/2009, 10:28 AM
The worst part to me is that unless they win the National Title he will say, "See...told ya so."

8timechamps
1/22/2009, 10:49 AM
If this article was written 3 weeks ago, I might have agreed with him. Now...it just comes across as ignorant.

Crimsontothecore
1/22/2009, 10:53 AM
I am sorry but you are dead wrong on why Capel did away with the MM. He did away with it because he was told it was a big deal and invited some top recruits to the one three years ago. There was nobody there, and it made him look foolish in front of the recruits. Why should he have a MM when nobody shows up? The Duke explanation was a nice way of explaining why without calling out the fans.

He is going to continue to have an open scrimmage. I thought the one in the fieldhouse was really a success this year....

I used to take my kids to MM every year when they were younger and though that's been a few years, I never remember the place being empty. Not full either but maybe half full. Anyway, maybe it's not the best time to invite recruits but I think it's neat for the fans. I just think eliminating such an event takes away some of his room to gripe about fan support.

Ton Loc
1/22/2009, 11:44 AM
Just another old, fat, nonathletic guy talking out of his ***. I like how he picks one game to base his reasoning on the entire season. I wonder what he thinks about higher ranked teams that actually lost to the crap teams, Michigan State and Wake Forest.

soonervegas
1/22/2009, 12:19 PM
Pot stirrer! Pot stirrer!

Like it was said, this was a going through the motions game. (After two big games, before two other big games)

This article should have stayed in the bin. Now if we lose at home to OSU, MIzzou, or KU then you can write this.

P.S. Where are his articles on Wake and Michigan State? They WERE NOT good enough to just go through the motions.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2009, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember Capel also explaining that midnight madness was basically a wasted practice and he only gets so many opportunities to have his guys working.

Collier11
1/22/2009, 01:13 PM
All that MM is is a slam dunk contest for the fans, considering that alot of fans wont even watch the team on TV, why waste his time or the teams? Capel has every right to call out the fans

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2009, 02:45 PM
Our turnout for a top 10 basketball team is nothing short of pathetic.

It was pathetic when Kelvin was here. It was pathetic when Billy was here (and don't try to tell me it wasn't, I was AT the games the last couple years of Billy's tenure here and the crowds were just as sparse.) It's pathetic now that Capel is here.

This is a team that's in contention for a #1 seed, which means they're in contention for a national title. I don't think we're necessarily the best team in the country, but we're certainly one of the teams that could get hot in the tournament and win the whole damn thing. We've got a guy who very well could be the #1 pick in this year's NBA draft and another who some project as a lottery pick. Yet we can't manage to pack our arena for a conference game.

Of course, I'm not there, so this is all talk from me.

Crimsontothecore
1/22/2009, 03:48 PM
I can't disagree about attendance. I guess I'm just tired of all the bitc**** about it. It's pretty obvious by now that LNC won't be packed regardless of how good or how bad the team is. This isn't Duke and probably never will be so live with it and consider yourself fortunate to be one of a very select few who have the wonderful and well paying job of being a D-1 basketball coach. Life ain't so bad so please go cash that fat check and shut up.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2009, 03:52 PM
And I can see where you're coming from.

I'm just of the opinion that one of Capel's job expectations is winning a bunch of games. One of the factors that helps win a bunch of games is great support from the fans-it helps your home court advantage and it helps you recruit. Can't blame a guy for being upset that the same people who'll call for his head if he has an off year aren't doing everything they can do to help him not have an off year.

If that makes any sense.

tommieharris91
1/22/2009, 04:05 PM
What's funny is that attendance is up at OU this season. Pretty much everywhere else it's down.

NormanPride
1/22/2009, 04:43 PM
Haven't there been really good crowds this year? Capel is bringing the people in, but you can't expect a turnaround in one season. I don't really know why people don't go more... I know I would love to go to every one, but I'm in Tulsa. I'm lucky if I even make one. :(

Sooner04
1/22/2009, 05:23 PM
What's funny is that attendance is up at OU this season. Pretty much everywhere else it's down.
Bingo. We're probably averaging close to 9,000 butts in the seats a game. That's a major improvement over last year and the years before.

Capel's building something big in Norman.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2009, 05:40 PM
That's great that attendance is up. That's not something I'd heard, and it's heartening.

I DO NOT want to lose Capel to a school that packs the gym every night. I don't want to lose Capel period.

Sooner04
1/22/2009, 05:52 PM
That's great that attendance is up. That's not something I'd heard, and it's heartening.

I DO NOT want to lose Capel to a school that packs the gym every night. I don't want to lose Capel period.
I just went and browsed the box scores. They have attendance and then they have "estimated actual attendance". That last figure is, basically, tickets scanned at the door. I added up the "estimated actual attendance" of all 11 home games and our average is 8,466 a game.

So we're drawing 8,500 a game with some meat left on the schedule (O-State and Kansas). 9,000 in actual attendance hasn't been seen since the late 80s, I'll guarantee you that. I think we can get there.

PhiDeltBeers
1/22/2009, 05:54 PM
Heck, I really like Capel. I thought everyone else on this board did too. Apparently, there are a few that aren't so fond. Probably the same few that want to see Bob Stoops go.

Crimsontothecore
1/22/2009, 06:07 PM
Heck, I really like Capel. I thought everyone else on this board did too. Apparently, there are a few that aren't so fond. Probably the same few that want to see Bob Stoops go.

Whoa! Hope your not suspecting me of not liking Capel because of my comments. I love the guy and hope he sticks around for a long time. He was a brilliant hire by Joe C. I just wish they would come to grips with the unfortunate fact that the LNC will probably never have an atmosphere comparable to the Dukes, NC's or KU's of the world. It's what it is so quit beating the dead horse.

soonervegas
1/22/2009, 06:51 PM
To Crimson's point....we are going on, what, 25 years as a top 20 basketball program? 2 final fours, 2 elite eights, a handful of sweet 16's......

I don't think the crowd issue is THAT big of a deal.

Let's just be happy with what we have 8,000-9,000 diehard attendees. Many people see OU basketball as a TV sport.

oumartin
1/22/2009, 07:25 PM
Hey, wonder if he thinks Michigan State is any good or Wake Forest. They both lost on their home courts last night

Eielson
1/22/2009, 09:45 PM
I can't disagree about attendance. I guess I'm just tired of all the bitc**** about it. It's pretty obvious by now that LNC won't be packed regardless of how good or how bad the team is. This isn't Duke and probably never will be so live with it and consider yourself fortunate to be one of a very select few who have the wonderful and well paying job of being a D-1 basketball coach. Life ain't so bad so please go cash that fat check and shut up.

You don't have a problem saying this isn't Duke, but it isn't like Duke is the only team with better basketball fans than us. What if we said this isn't OSU? Yuck.

bluedogok
1/22/2009, 11:18 PM
You don't have a problem saying this isn't Duke, but it isn't like Duke is the only team with better basketball fans than us. What if we said this isn't OSU? Yuck.
Well, G-I Arena isn't exactly pulling them in either....

NewsOK.com - Small crowds now the norm for OSU basketball games (http://www.newsok.com/small-crowds-now-the-norm-for-osu-basketball-games/article/3339713?)

It seems like Capel is getting some positive press as well..

NewsOK.com - Tramel Blog: Sadler lauds Capel (http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2009/01/22/sadler-lauds-capel/)
Posted by berrytramel
January 22, 2009

OU basketball coach Jeff Capel has a huge fan in Nebraska coach Doc Sadler.

Sadler went out of his way twice Wednesday night to salute Capel’s program. Salder told the media during his press conference that you “never hear anything bad” about the Sooner program.

Then later, leaving Lloyd Noble Center, Sadler stopped to chat with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and told Joe C. what a keeper he had in Capel, that Sadler never hears anything negative about OU basketball on the recruiting trail, that Capel does everything right, and that he couldn’t say that about a lot of people.

There’s no history that I know of between Capel and Sadler, and the comments were completely unsolicited. They weren’t in response to a question.

Capel has indeed done a superb job as the Sooner coach. Would another coach have been able to sign Blake Griffin? Probably. Would another coach have been able to sign Willie Warren? Maybe.

But that’s not really the point. Capel took the job, and OU basketball has been rising ever since. Both competitively and in status. On and off the court.

And Capel has what might be the most difficult thing to obtain: what seems to be heartfelt respect of his peers. At least one peer in particular.

Charla
1/25/2009, 10:04 PM
I would rather play Basketball at OU than Football at Duke.

Payton
1/26/2009, 10:39 AM
That guy is an idiot. A lot of people are Blake's height. And the only reason Nebraska was in the game was because a guy who averages 4 points a game had 17 in the first half. They weren't missing anything for a while and we were playing poorly. So sick of these fartlazourasars posting this crap.

Jeopardude
1/26/2009, 11:05 AM
To Crimson's point....we are going on, what, 25 years as a top 20 basketball program? 2 final fours, 2 elite eights, a handful of sweet 16's......

I don't think the crowd issue is THAT big of a deal.

Let's just be happy with what we have 8,000-9,000 diehard attendees. Many people see OU basketball as a TV sport.

That's what I like about Capel. He's not willing to "just be happy." And basketball games are so much fun to watch live (and so much cheaper than football) that it's worth it to try to get people to see that.

badger
1/26/2009, 12:27 PM
Someone send him a memo that a college basketball game is 40 minutes long, not 60.

But what it the game went into quadruple overtime? Huh? Huh? Take THAT, haters! 40 minutes of regulation plus four sessions of 5-minute overtime equals 60 minutes total! Do you know how many games we've had go into quadruple overtime?! DO you? That's why we need to prepare for 60 complete minutes of play, because you NEVER KNOW when it will happen, because it HAS and it WILL and...

... eff it, I can't keep it up any longer! :mad: Even NBA games aren't 60 minutes long! Are we counting pregame or halftime or something?! Gaaaaaahhhhh!

I think the deeper concern in this column is how we played a non-tourney team. Could the likes of an Oral Roberts (sorry to all Owl fans in advance) threaten OU come tourney time if they play like they did against Nebbish? After all, come March, it's single elimination in both conference and national tournaments (unless you're CBI championship-bound). We need to correct mistakes now before then...

...and we have a few months to do just that :)