PDA

View Full Version : Calling Sooner04 & OUSKINS

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 11:12 PM
Need a recap. Didn't get to see the game, but followed it on ESPN.com. Seems like it went about the way I expected except for the "over by the half" part.

ouflak
1/22/2009, 07:58 AM
I second the call.

OUSKINS
1/22/2009, 08:53 AM
Sorry, was too tired to recap after getting home from the LNC last night and then watching the Cavs-Blazers game on DVR. I'll do my best now:

--Really impressed with the crowd last night. Maybe my expectations are low, but the turnout was very good (worlds better than for a comprable game in recent years) and the fans were loud and into the game.

--I'm sure some fans were frustrated that Nebraska hung around for so long, but I really wasn't particularly upset with how the game went at all. Honestly, Nebraska just played an excellent game.

--Capel got out-coached tonight, something that doesn't happen often. Nebraska is one of the smallest Big 12 teams I've ever seen. They have ZERO inside game. So, all they can do is try and slow the game down a bit and hit shots from beyond the arc. I thought Capel played into their hands early by going zone....this sort of neutralized our athletic advantage and gave Nebraska plenty of open looks from three-- and they were hitting them. It took Capel awhile to switch back to man-to-man, which I really didn't understand. Once we did, NU seemed much more frustrated.

--I don't think our effort was poor last night overall, but I do think we got very lazy at times on offense. We took a total of 25 three's in the game-- our percentage wasn't bad, but that is simply WAY too many heaves from downtown. If you are the more talented/athletic team, you are playing into your opponent's strategy by relying on the three pointer. NU was throwing some serious junk defense out there last night and they were definitely giving us open looks...but sometimes, you need to pass up an open look in favor of driving the basketball or dumping it down low-- even when there's traffic. In the second half, Austin Johnson started taking the ball to the hoop and we had positive results.

--After the A+M game, I praised Willie for letting the game come to him and picking his spots. But last night, he was just too passive. He was absent. We need from him than that.

--Crocker? Eh....not nearly as bad as the TAMU game, but he had nowhere to go but up from that dreadful performance. His effort was fine, but again, he settled for the jumper way too often...he had a size and athletic advantage over many of the NU players who were guarding him, but he did not take advantage.

--Kinda funny to see Omar Leary "tower" over someone. Cookie Miller for NU looked almost a head shorter than Omar out there. Speaking of Omar, he got a bunch of minutes last night and hustled his tail off as always. He also hit a big three when our momentum was fading a bit.

--Austin Johnson is becoming a true leader. For the third game in a row, he stepped up and made some huge shots for us in the second half. His 15 points and 5 assists were key.

--Cade Davis left his shot at Madison Square Garden in NYC. The guy is in a total funk right now. He was 0-5 from deep last night and most of those misses weren't even close. They were good looks, but he clearly doesn't have the confidence he did earlier in the season. You can sense the tension in the building whenever he gets the ball...everyone knows he's struggling and there is an audible groan from the crowd every time he misses. But I will say this....Capel is showing a lot of faith in Davis.....he's sticking with him and from watching their interactions, he seems very positive and encouraging. I think Capel KNOWS we need some punch off the bench and that Davis is the most likely source....and I will give Davis some credit for continuing to hustle when he's out there. He had 5 rebounds last night, which was second most on the team behind Blake.

--That leaves Blake....he was ridiculous last night. Again, NU had no answer for him, but it's not like other players around the country are dropping 27 points and 18 rebounds on the Huskers on a nightly basis. He was just absurd-- one of the more fun games to watch because he was just so physically dominant. He was literally running people over, sending bodies flying, and dropping in all kinds of shots in the lane.

One one play, he soared and blocked a shot easily on a drive by a NU guard. Then, in an effort to get back down on offense, he collided with a NU player (probably could have been a foul on Blake) and the guy slammed to the floor like a load of bricks. I mean, the dude just crumbled. Blake kept running and wound up with a two-hand dunk on the other end.

NU tried everything....double-teaming, triple-teaming, fronting him in the post-- nothing worked. If our guards would have been a little more patient last night and not so eager to hoist from deep, Blake could have gone for 40 no problem. He was a beast.

Summary

Nebraska played an A+ game in the first half. I think they caught us a bit off guard and the Huskers were precise and energetic. I really don't think that team is capable of playing any better. But Blake kept us within 6, which had to be mildly disheartening to the NU staff and players. In the second half, OU outscored them 40-23....so, the cream eventually rose.

Not a glamorous win by any means, but we need to accpet that we're going to get the best shot from teams like NU...they will be prepared and motivated...we'll have to weather some storms...especially on the road. I'm content with this win.

Now, for Baylor......if you have the chance, you really should get out to the LNC on Saturday....Baylor is a very good team and an exciting one at that. They have a few NBA prospects in their backcourt and they will get up and down the floor. This is a game where their skill and our athleticism could really be on display.

If you don't remember last year's game, here's a reminder (it never gets old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doCHJTH2y74&feature=PlayList&p=D7F51BF9DC1AE436&index=0&playnext=1

8timechamps
1/22/2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks SKINS, that's what I was looking for.

I said my thread about NU that they were a "quirky" team that hustles on defense. Seems like they lived up to that last night.

Still a good win even if it's not as good as the TAMU win.

On to Baylor...that is going to be a real test.