PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new TV and surround receiver

OUDoc
1/21/2009, 02:34 PM
Does Cox's HD DVR connect with HDMI or only component cables?
I'm at work and can't remember what box I've got. My current TV doesn't have HDMI inputs, so I've never looked for it before on the cable box.

FYI, I got a Denon AVR-1909 (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538649372/denon-avr-1909) and a Samsung 67" LED DLP (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/458892796/samsung-hl67a750?s_c=site_search) TV.

Taxman71
1/21/2009, 02:37 PM
The DVR definitely has HDMI and component. Some non-DVR STB have HDMI, most do not.

OUDoc
1/21/2009, 02:38 PM
I'm trying to make a list of how many freaking HDMI cables I'll need to buy. It's more than I thought.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2009, 02:40 PM
I m sure you know this but in case you don't monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp)

Taxman71
1/21/2009, 02:40 PM
Just remember to get them at monoprice and you can order a couple extra without worrying about it. Eventually, you will need at least 2 for each HDTV you have (1 for cable box, 1 for DVD).

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2009, 02:41 PM
nice tv btw..

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2009, 02:41 PM
Doc, there is no advantage to hooking up your cable box with HDMI vs. component+optical other than reduced wire clutter. Cable boxes handle HDCP internally and no cable channel I'm aware of passes DTS-HD MA, DTHD, or 5.1 LPCM.

Mine's hooked up with HDMI, but that's just for wire clutter. If I need to free up an HDMI port on my receiver I'll downgrade the cable box in a second.

And I'll second (third, whatever) monoprice. Or bluejeanscable.com.

And yeah, nice TV.

OU4LIFE
1/21/2009, 02:49 PM
what froz said,

and unless you have a blue ray player, and even if you do, you probably won't see any difference from the DVD player by going component there as well.

I've only got one HDMI cable, and it's from my cable box. Got it at Monoprice. Sure everything may eventually get there, but why waste the money now, by the time the other peripherals get up to speed, I'm sure there will be a better HDMI cable out along with them. Save your money.

IB4OU2
1/21/2009, 02:57 PM
Does Cox's HD DVR connect with HDMI or only component cables?
I'm at work and can't remember what box I've got. My current TV doesn't have HDMI inputs, so I've never looked for it before on the cable box.

FYI, I got a Denon AVR-1909 (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538649372/denon-avr-1909) and a Samsung 67" LED DLP (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/458892796/samsung-hl67a750?s_c=site_search) TV.

Wow! You'll be able to see that polyp from thirty feet away! :D

olevetonahill
1/21/2009, 02:59 PM
Ive got a Sanyo , It seems to Only work in the Fall then shuts down In early January ;)

yermom
1/21/2009, 03:07 PM
my Cox HD DVR has the port, but no HDMI cable. i have one from the Sucker City closeout, but i got one pretty cheap from newegg. i probably would have gone for monoprice, but i was already ordering other stuff from newegg

anyone else have problems with Cox's HD service?

i've been having really crappy signal on some channels and occasionally some just don't show anything at all. last week there was some Lost show, i guess it was a recap episode or something and all i got was black from abc, HD and regular. other channels just seem to take turns lately

i was thinking about maybe switching to U-Verse but it's not available in my part of Norman yet, apparently

bluedogok
1/21/2009, 03:22 PM
My parents Cox HD-DVR has HDMI, we got them a Blu-ray player for Christmas and their older Sony TV only had one HDMI connection so we swapped the DVR to component video/RCA audio and hooked the Blu-ray up HDMI. They went to Digital Cable/HD before last years Fiesta Bowl so their DVR is a little over a year old.

Taxman71
1/21/2009, 03:26 PM
I agree that the signal isn't any better with HDMI over component, but the cable clutter can be a real issue depending on your setup. My 50 inch is in a built-in corner unit with everything underneath in a cabinet, so component from the DVR is fine. However, my 2 other 32 inch flat-panels are sitting on top of cabinets without anything surrounding them. In this case, a single HDMI is MUCH preferred over 5 to 10 gray component cables.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2009, 03:52 PM
I agree that the signal isn't any better with HDMI over component, but the cable clutter can be a real issue depending on your setup. My 50 inch is in a built-in corner unit with everything underneath in a cabinet, so component from the DVR is fine. However, my 2 other 32 inch flat-panels are sitting on top of cabinets without anything surrounding them. In this case, a single HDMI is MUCH preferred over 5 to 10 gray component cables.

I believe that Doc's receiver will take an analog (component) signal and feed it out through HDMI. I'm operating under the assumption that he's going to feed everything into the receiver and only have one HDMI cable from the receiver to the display.

Could be wrong, though. :D

OUDoc
1/21/2009, 04:00 PM
Yes. I'm going to run everything through the receiver (I've never done that before, I had always run everything through the TV).

jkjsooner
1/21/2009, 11:15 PM
So what is this 3D stuff on that TV? I've heard about a new 3D technology going on with movies as well.

As someone who doesn't have stereoscopic (depth perception based on comparing signals from both eyes) I suppose I'll never get what it is. (Old style 3D glasses did nothing for me.)

I suppose it's on technology that I'll never pay for....

OUDoc
1/22/2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah, it says you need some liquid crystal 3-D glasses to view it. I've never been a 3-D fan. So far, it hasn't added anything to movies other than being gimmicky. We'll see what happens with that technology.

Taxman71
1/22/2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I the 3-D Journey to the Center of the Earth was more of a distraction than anything else. The movie industry is trying to draw more people to the movies instead of just waiting to buy the DVD and watching it in their dedicated home theater.

yermom
1/22/2009, 11:08 AM
well, maybe if they would focus on good movies instead of marketing the ****ty ones

the lowest common denominator is a fickle bunch