PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska: Trap Game?

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 01:04 AM
On paper, this looks to be over by the half. I like to think that we are finished "playing to the level of our competition", but you just never know.

Nebraska is, for lack of a better word, quirky. The Huskers lost last year's playmaker (Aleks Maric) who was their best rebounder and shot blocker. They will run 4 gaurds on the floor and try to play an uptempo style.

Nebraska will be sorely outmanned under the boards. And that's putting it mildly. As mentioned, with the loss of Maric, the Huskers will have no answer for Blake. The Huskers will look to senior gaurd Steve Harley to keep them in the game. Harley leads the team in points and is second in assists. A real telling sign is that Harley is currently third on the team in rebounds.

As mentioned, Blake should have plenty of room to work, and Nebraska will struggle in the paint.

The question is, is this a trap game? After coming off a solid win on the road, and peaking ahead at games with Baylor and O State, will the Sooners be ripe for a letdown? Anything is possible I suppose, and the huskers do make up on defense what they lack on offense.

At the end of the day, the Huskers are just undermanned, and outcoached. Blake has a good night, and the Sooners roll. This, of course, is subjective to AJ's play (as he will have his hands full).

Prediction
Sooners 72
Huskers 55

Salt City Sooner
1/21/2009, 08:48 AM
The question is, is this a trap game?
Considering the fact that NU flat handed the guys their collective butts on a platter last year, I'm betting that they'll have OU's full attention. Revenge can be quite the little motivational tool sometimes.

OUSKINS
1/21/2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah, last year's game was a total embarrassment, so hopefully, our guys remember.

But honestly, and this may be an arrogant statement, no this is NOT a "trap game." To me, a trap game is a game where I think if we play down a bit we could lose. In this instance, I think we could very well bring our "C" game and still win an ugly one.

If this was on the road, I might be a bit more cautious, but this game doesn't worry me in the least-- at least not in terms of winning or losing. I do think we could potentially slog through the evening and win a 63-55 type of game, but I really don't think there's much chance at all that NU comes in and upsets us.

Sooner04
1/21/2009, 09:49 AM
NU will definitely muck it up, and if we're cold they've got a great chance of staying in the game until the end. Our ability to get to the free throw line will be an asset tonight because the number of possessions is going to be low.

I'd be concerned if it were in Lincoln, but I'm confident of a drumming in Norman tonight.

cheezyq
1/21/2009, 11:02 AM
What Salty said. NU has beaten OU like 3 of the last 4 games or something. I'm sure Capel will be beating that into his players.

royalfan5
1/21/2009, 03:41 PM
NU has came out very poorly on the road this season. Unless OU has a flu bug hit or something, they should be able to impose their will early. NU has to move without the ball, and pass well to get quality shots and that has been a problem most games. We do have a 6'11 player who just joined the team and became eligible over the weekend. He may play, but unfortunately for NU his name is Jorge Brian Diaz, and not Jesus Christ Diaz, or even Jobu Diaz.

OUstud
1/21/2009, 03:52 PM
NU has came out very poorly on the road this season. Unless OU has a flu bug hit or something, they should be able to impose their will early. NU has to move without the ball, and pass well to get quality shots and that has been a problem most games. We do have a 6'11 player who just joined the team and became eligible over the weekend. He may play, but unfortunately for NU his name is Jorge Brian Diaz, and not Jesus Christ Diaz, or even Jobu Diaz.

Yo bartender! Jobu needs a refill!

soonervegas
1/21/2009, 11:56 PM
Some of you sniffed it out.....nice call.