PDA

View Full Version : Before I head out

85Sooner
1/20/2009, 11:10 PM
Now that the festivities are winding down. I would like to ask all of the Obama fans to list what they expect. Specifically, What will make him a good POTUS in your eyes. List your top 1-5-10 I don't care. I will promise to let you post without response. I wish Our Country Well and I hope he does whats right for the United States of America. Inquiring minds want to know. Leave GW or Clinton or any other ex POTUS out of it. What do you really expect?

Sincerely 85

Good night, Elvis has left the building

OklahomaTuba
1/20/2009, 11:14 PM
Heal the earf. Just heal the earf.

jdsooner
1/20/2009, 11:22 PM
Intelligent leadership.
Rebuild our roads and bridges.
Develop new and greener sources of energy. Decrease our dependence on foreign oil.
Improve the quality and availability of our health care system.
Make certain that our country stands for justice rather than torture.
Be more prudent about putting our troops in harms way.
Make things more fair for the poor and the middle class.

8timechamps
1/20/2009, 11:30 PM
I didn't vote for Obama, but he is my president, and I will support him. Now that he is in, here is what I expect (or desire):

1. Health Care - fix the current system. A family not able to attain health care coverage from their empolyer shouldn't have to pay $400/mo for good coverage.

2. Get rid of the over-paid executive structure in corporate America.

3. Protect our country from all that wish to do us harm. By no means should we be viewed as less powerful (or able to act) in the world's eyes.

4. Get out of Iraq. Work to resolve Afghanistan.

5. Heal the economy (see #2)

OklahomaTuba
1/20/2009, 11:37 PM
Raise my taxes, 50% of my income isn't nearly enough.

Give more tax breaks to people who don't pay taxes at all. They need it.

Lets set a national debt record. Why settle for anything less???

We need more illegal immigrants, don't have nearly enough.

Let the gov run health care, they do a good job with everything else, so why not??

Let the terrorists in Gitmo free. They are freedom fighters after all.

KC//CRIMSON
1/20/2009, 11:57 PM
Send Tuba to Canada.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/21/2009, 12:01 AM
1. Protect the U.S. against its enemies.

2. Promote free enterprise and free trade.

3. Promote the value of service.

OklahomaTuba
1/21/2009, 12:04 AM
Yummmmm, Molson.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2009, 01:39 AM
I don't give a rat's ***...Can my place of employment just manage to stay open long enough for me to either find something better, get comfortable on my own, or become so successful that I get a raise big enough to support my family and send the kids to college?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/21/2009, 04:45 AM

Let the gov run health care, they do a good job with everything else, so why not??

Well Bush has already taken care of 2,3, and 4 ;)

TUSooner
1/21/2009, 07:19 AM

You left out "Take my children away and eat them." :rolleyes:

85Sooner
1/21/2009, 07:45 AM
I didn't vote for Obama, but he is my president, and I will support him. Now that he is in, here is what I expect (or desire):

1. Health Care - fix the current system. A family not able to attain health care coverage from their empolyer shouldn't have to pay $400/mo for good coverage.

3. Protect our country from all that wish to do us harm. By no means should we be viewed as less powerful (or able to act) in the world's eyes.

4. Get out of Iraq. Work to resolve Afghanistan.

5. Heal the economy (see #2)

So, I see only one on here knows the meaning of Specific.

lexsooner
1/21/2009, 08:01 AM
Pragmatic problem-solver, which is what we need right now in the White House.

Plans to govern as a centrist; open to cooperation between parties.

Has integrity, good intentions. He genuinely wants to fix the economy, end the Iraq War, lower the deficit.

Open to advice from talented, experienced advisors he has assembled.

Exceptionally high intellect, plus strong common sense abilities; highly organized and thoughful; good decision-maker.

Charming, well-spoken, likeable, popular, and most importantly, genuine - able to win support from the American public as well as politicians of both parties.

Unique, diverse upbringing; common man background and perspective.

Has credibility, respect from leaders of other countries.

Pretty honest guy - open about past coke use, smoking, etc. Not particularly interested in sexual vices.

Religious, good family man.

Tough and decisive. Much more so than most people think. No doubt about who is in charge

Youthful, and full of energy and ambition.

lexsooner
1/21/2009, 08:03 AM
So, I see only one on here knows the meaning of Specific.

You promised not to respond.

SoonerJack
1/21/2009, 09:08 AM

This is definitely a function and responsibility of the U.S. Government. :rolleyes:

Chuck Bao
1/21/2009, 09:28 AM
The US economy is in far worse shape than most people realize, so I'm going to go with:

1. Bail out the favored banks.

2. Bail out the favored banks, again.

3. Bail out the favored banks, yet again.

Nothing else matters much until the banks start lending. And, I stand by my earlier prediction that it will take 3-4 rounds of recapitalization to get them in a position to lend.

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 09:56 AM
This is definitely a function and responsibility of the U.S. Government. :rolleyes:

Do you even have a clue what I'm talking about? I'm guessing not.

I'd be more than happy to discuss the inner workings of corporate stock option programs as a starter. I've have over 15 years of seeing these plans and how they're structured to favore the elite. And you're dead wrong if you think the government doesn't have a big hand in that. Thanks for your opinion though.

85Sooner
1/21/2009, 10:10 AM
As a capitalist but in total agreement that Corporate big wigs are compensated beyond their worth I had thought of a possible solution but have not put the numbers to it.

It would be interesting to see how the numbers would work if it were that :
No person in any publicly traded corporation can make more in total compensation than the combined totals of the compensation earned by persons directly under them on the hierarchy flow chart. This would apply to all levels, thus if you are a boss and you want a raise, better make sure the people under you are getting a part of the increase. Does that sound feasible?

JohnnyMack
1/21/2009, 10:23 AM
1. Extricate us from a war we should have never been in.
2. Make the State Department take the pressure off the Department of Defense.
3. Establish pragmatic regulations in the banking industry.
4. Push for increased funding in science, not in faith based initiatives.
5. Push for the establishment of a "New Deal" type infrastructure initiative.

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 10:30 AM
As a capitalist but in total agreement that Corporate big wigs are compensated beyond their worth I had thought of a possible solution but have not put the numbers to it.

No person in any publicly traded corporation can make more in total compensation than the combined totals of the compensation earned by persons directly under them on the hierarchy flow chart. This would apply to all levels, thus if you are a boss and you want a raise, better make sure the people under you are getting a part of the increase. Does that sound feasible?

You're on the right track. The problem is that in most publicly traded companies, the top execs don't make obsene salaries. The real money comes from the stock they are given (whether through a contracted incentive or options they are granted). There needs to be more regulation on how thoes individuals dispose of said stock.

85Sooner
1/21/2009, 10:34 AM
You're on the right track. The problem is that in most publicly traded companies, the top execs don't make obsene salaries. The real money comes from the stock they are given (whether through a contracted incentive or options they are granted). There needs to be more regulation on how thoes individuals dispose of said stock.

I meant for that to be included in the "total compensation" The CEO gets options? OK the options can be no more than the combined options provided to those directly beneath him on the flow chart. Everything counts. Including bonuses.

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 10:51 AM
I meant for that to be included in the "total compensation" The CEO gets options? OK the options can be no more than the combined options provided to those directly beneath him on the flow chart. Everything counts. Including bonuses.

That would be a great starting point.

StoopTroup
1/21/2009, 11:50 AM
1) Stay Alive
2) Don't be gettin' all up in my grill
3) Don't let your head swell...your still a Public Servant
4) Stop with all of the speeches about what your gonna do...your in now...get to ****ing work.
5) Don't try and fix stuff that ain't broke
6) Admit to the World that Bob Stoops should be President and not you.

TMcGee86
1/21/2009, 12:26 PM
Protect and defend the Constitution.

that's pretty much it.

OklahomaTuba
1/21/2009, 12:30 PM
Keeping the first lady safely hidden from public view should be his top priority.

King Crimson
1/21/2009, 12:33 PM
abolish AM talk radio.

start five-year plans.

abolish private property.

nationalize the fast-food industries.

"disappear" Miley Cyrus

abolish education in favor of Obama's "Hep Cat Young Pioneers".

jkjsooner
1/21/2009, 02:58 PM
I'm afraid we're in a real pickle right now so I'm not sure anyone is going to be happy in the short term as the economy is getting worse every day and you can't fix 20 years worth of mismanagement in a year or two.

Here is my list.

1. Regain the respect of the international community. That doesn't mean agreeing with everyone or kissing Europe's butt but it does mean finding common ground, compromising, using diplomatic means, etc.... Things that every President has done until recently.

2. Regulate industries that need to be regulated - specifically the financial industry. I'm all for limited regulation but we can't have a repeat of economic mess we're in now. I don't trust CEO's who have their short term interests in mind to properly look out for our country's (or even their on company's) long term interests nor do I trust the insider network of board of directors to control CEO's. I'm looking forward to an administration that doesn't feel that all forms of regulation are the enemy of capitalism. Only small minded persons view the world in such black and white ways.

3. I don't expect this to happen with any administration unfortunately, but I would like for an administration to honestly look at the long term health of our system instead of taking the route that has short term political benefits. That means that it is not sufficient to increase our standard of living by massively increasing the national debt.

4. Some type of fix for the healthcare system. I'm not talking universal healthcare but at least an admission that our healthcare system is broken and it is getting worse by the year. I hope we figure this out before the majority of companies cut their employee healthcare plans. (At that point people will wake up.) Costs need to be cut. We need to quit paying the full price of the world's healthcare R&D. I want drug companies to invest in new drugs but I do not want the U.S. to pay a price that Canada or whoever does not have to pay.

5. Some type of solution to our trade imbalances. I don't know the solution but something will have to be done. It may mean that we need to deflate the dollar so that we can compete on an international level. It may mean protectionism. I understand these are controversial but our country can't survive if all of our manafacturing and intellectual work is offshored. It may work for 10 or 15 years but at some point it will kill us.

6. Find a way out of Iraq if possible. Concentrate on our real enemy and let Sunni's and Shiites work out their own problems. We can just leave a vacuum so I don't know if this is possible. It's not really about whether invading Iraq was morally right or not. I personally think it WAS morally right but absolutely against our own best interests.

7. A real effort to reduce our dependence on oil. This isn't going to happen in four or eight years but we must make efforts in that direction. It is about national security. It is about independence. It is about a long term energy plan. If we wait until alternatives are obviously necessary it most likely will be too late. Now that the price of oil is again low we cannot abandon our efforts for alternative energy as we did in the '80s.

8. An administration that will admit its failures and shortcomings. An administration that will change direction when it feels that its current direction is flawed. A confident but humble administration. An administration that honestly listens to those who disagree with it.

9. An administration that actually believes that the other two branches of government each have 1/3 of the power. An administration that doesn't lecture to members of congress like they are two year olds.

10. A politically moderate administration.

jkjsooner
1/21/2009, 03:08 PM
The US economy is in far worse shape than most people realize, so I'm going to go with:

Chuck, I generally like your posts but I just don't understand why you said U.S. here. The world economy is in very bad shape and the U.S. is no more to blame than quite a few other counties - namely various European ones.

rainiersooner
1/21/2009, 03:19 PM

I think one problem is that human talent will then run towards private companies; private companies will decline to go public; and public companies may choose to go private...thereby reducing a significant source of investment liquidity. I believe that the market should be allowed to dictate compensation, but that requires better, more timely disclosure. IMO it has been the lack of disclosure more than anything else (i.e., executive compensation) that has caused the current crisis. Just my $0.02.

rainiersooner
1/21/2009, 03:22 PM
Oh, and as an aside - I'd like to see Obama ban Notre Dame from playing football. Just 'cause.

OhU1
1/21/2009, 03:32 PM
1. Wants to abolish the BCS.
2. Will pay for my gas and mortgage.
3. Will tax the rich which means anyone making more than me.
4. Now that his pay grade has been raised will be able to answer the tough questions.
5. I liked him as the President on the first two seasons of "24".

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 11:27 PM
I think one problem is that human talent will then run towards private companies; private companies will decline to go public; and public companies may choose to go private...thereby reducing a significant source of investment liquidity. I believe that the market should be allowed to dictate compensation, but that requires better, more timely disclosure. IMO it has been the lack of disclosure more than anything else (i.e., executive compensation) that has caused the current crisis. Just my $0.02.

The problem with that is that there are far too many publicly traded companies that depend on investors to fund new rounds of capital, not to mention that taking a company public is simple compared to going back private. Which, is almost impossible with Fortune 500 companies.

I'm all for paying people what they are worth, but nobody on this planet is worth one hundred million (or more) a year. Nobody.

I think you hit the nail on the head though with regards to the disclosure point. That's where I see the biggest problem we have in corporate America today.

BudSooner
1/22/2009, 06:46 AM
More quality jobs, keep jobs here, checks and balance system for CEO's...those guys aren't out on the floor of places like the auto industry/aerospace assembling parts so why should they take the biggest wages/bonuses?
And on that note, tell the unions to STFU, that they are the reason the Big3 is in the shape it is in.

Healthcare needs to be overhauled, badly.

NO MORE BAILOUTS.

Something, anything to slowdown the influx of illegals, create a huge canal between the US and Mexico and fill it with sharks with frickin laser beams attached to the sharks heads?

A uniform alcohol percentage on beer sold in the United States....no more watered down brew!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playoffs in college football.....heh, never gonna happen.

Vaevictis
1/22/2009, 07:38 AM
(1) Holds people in his administration accountable when they **** up. Don't cover up, like certain other administrations.
(2) Recognizes that appearance matters. In politics, appearance is substance. Example: Gitmo. Let's assume holding and treating the prisoners they way it was done under the Bush administration is necessary (let's do so, and not argue about it). Even assuming that, America having a gulag everyone knows about is a terrible idea.
(3) Doesn't surround himself with people who always agree with him.
(4) No "Baghdad Bobs" in the White House press room. That is, don't trot your press guy out to repeat rediculous memes that nobody is ****ing buying. If you're going to have a story, at least make it one people don't scoff at. Let's assume the media is biased (so we don't have an argument about it). It doesn't matter -- it's your job, Mr. President, to manage the message.

That would be a good start.

In terms of foreign policy:

(1) We actually seem to have made some progress in Iraq. Try not to **** it away on ideological grounds.
(2) We need to do something about Afghanistan and Pakistan, especially the part where the Pakistanis let people hide out in Pakistan, and cause trouble in Afghanistan.
(3) Engage our enemies, make reasonable demands. Make it clear who the bad guys are like we used to do with the Soviet Union. (Remember? We used to talk to our enemies. And we usually came out the better for it because we usually successfully made THEM look like the unreasonable evil asshats. Let's get some more of that, instead of this cowboy diplomacy where *we* end up looking like the unreasonable evil asshats.)
(4) Take a more nuanced position on Israel. Yes, they're allies. That doesn't mean we have to blindly support them.
(5) If we're going to take prisoners, either (a) make sure nobody knows about it, or (b) grant them the full protection of the law.

Domestic policy:
(1) Let's have a mortgage market equivalent of the Securities Acts from the 1930's.
(2) Have a reasonable plan for dealing with excessive executive compensation. I would prefer not to completely prohibit it, but I would like to see shareholders be able to come back with a claim of breach of fiduciary duty if the CEO fails to perform in line with their pay and recoup that from the CEO. I would also like to see mandatory minimum "deductables" on all insurance policies protecting executives and board-members from shareholder action, and make them large so it HURTS when you lose a judgment, even if it doesn't actually bankrupt you.
(3) Do something about profit incentive for inefficiency at health insurance companies. Delay, delay, delay, and hope they go away -- that's the name of the game at some insurance companies. There should be criminal penalties for companies and employees that engage in this tactic.
(4) The demand for certain procedures is inelastic, so the free market doesn't work for them -- eg, if you need a heart transplant, there is no such thing as a free market, because your alternative is to die. Let's just bite the bullet and pay for these things. I assure you, it will be more efficient. These are the sorts of things where price controls and government insurance do make sense. Procedures where demand is elastic -- eg, you want the nicer cast? Or antibiotics for that non-life-threatening illness that will go away in a few weeks? You pay.
(5) If we do implement a national health care plan, let's not do it like Canada and outlaw private practice. Private and public healthcare should exist side-by-side. If you want to go outside the public system and can afford to, you should be able to.

I think that's a reasonable start.

jkjsooner
1/22/2009, 09:42 AM
Something, anything to slowdown the influx of illegals, create a huge canal between the US and Mexico and fill it with sharks with frickin laser beams attached to the sharks heads?

Isn't that what land mines were created for? That would solve the problem and be much cheaper than a huge concrete wall.

That's a little tongue-in-cheek of course. I don't suggest that. But it would work.

def_lazer_fc
1/22/2009, 09:54 AM
Keeping the first lady safely hidden from public view should be his top priority.

pot, kettle. you're name is Tuba for ****'s sake. fat, fat, fat, fat, fat.