PDA

View Full Version : What is Happening???

jdsooner
1/20/2009, 09:00 PM
It appears that we are losing recruits right and left at the last minute. This was already one of our weaker classes and it appears to be falling apart. Tonight I heard Al Eschbach say that our loss in the BCS did not hurt our recruiting effort. I believe that it has hurt us. Our national image is not good right now because of BCS losses.

pappy
1/20/2009, 09:05 PM
I'd agree with that. We can say well atleast we won the big 12 again, but bcs losses are coming back to bite us. I think we'll get back on track though. so not really any worries here.

Collier11
1/20/2009, 10:17 PM
Think before you speak guys, these guys arent leaving us for Florida or someone like that, they are leaving for playing time or because of grades. Do you really think someone would leave OU for losing the BCS title game only to go to Baylor and A&M

Rhino
1/20/2009, 11:02 PM
Ford - wanted to be closer to home.

Williams - wanted to be far away from home.

Ward - split-second decision; enrolled before giving us an opportunity to get him back.

Jones - wanted to be a WR, we wanted him as a DB.

Mahoney - isn't a decommit yet, may not qualify anyway.

tulsaoilerfan
1/20/2009, 11:06 PM
Before some of u blow a gasket, let's check back in 2012 and see how this class looks, ok?

Ground_Attack
1/20/2009, 11:48 PM
just getting rid of the flaky ones before they get here. That's all.

BoulderSooner79
1/21/2009, 12:05 AM
Before some of u blow a gasket, let's check back in 2012 and see how this class looks, ok?

But I'll blow a gasket if I wait that long to blow a gasket. :O

snp
1/21/2009, 01:04 AM

Ward - split-second decision; enrolled before giving us an opportunity to get him back.

Sticky please for all the chicken littles.

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 01:15 AM
Guys, remember that while the recruiting "gurus" are fun to follow, at the end of the day, they don't know much more than we do.

Anyone (besides Ryan) know where Rivals.com rated Bradford back in '06? They ranked somewhere between 18th and 26th best QB in the country.

At this point in the process, kids that are backing out at the last second are probably not the kind of kid we needed in the first place.

Desert Sapper
1/21/2009, 01:26 AM
OH CRAP! Did Ryan Broyles flip back to Poke State again????????

:rolleyes:

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 01:32 AM
OH CRAP! Did Ryan Broyles flip back to Poke State again????????

No, we lost Chad Davis to Washington State.

Oh, wait...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2009, 01:57 AM
historically, you guys should be excited at this point. we've tended to pull a lot of gems in this very situation in the past.

badger
1/21/2009, 07:23 AM
I hear that XLK guy that OSU got is going to be a stud for them and we're going to lose to them now all because we lost out on recruiting XLK. XLK! XLK! XLK!

I'm gonna start a parody thread so we can all look back and laugh on all the "top" recruits that we "lost" and how "doomed" we are because we "lost" these "top" recruits.

XLK! :D

(and no, I'm not gonna start a thread, but if someone else does I'll definitely contribute)

starrca23
1/21/2009, 09:02 AM
I feel pretty good about this class. I think some of our recruits flew under the radar because they signed early. Did anyone notice that Chaisson and Lewis have moved up on Rivals due to their performance at the UA game? Just proves the point that 8times made...hard to figure at this point.

Collier11
1/21/2009, 09:23 AM
I hear that XLK guy that OSU got is going to be a stud for them and we're going to lose to them now all because we lost out on recruiting XLK. XLK! XLK! XLK!

I'm gonna start a parody thread so we can all look back and laugh on all the "top" recruits that we "lost" and how "doomed" we are because we "lost" these "top" recruits.

XLK! :D

(and no, I'm not gonna start a thread, but if someone else does I'll definitely contribute)

ha, we all remember how that devastating loss turned out for us and XLK

SoonerFaninAZ
1/21/2009, 09:54 AM
Do you really think someone would leave OU for losing the BCS title game only to go to Baylor and A&M

Amen!

Although, after speaking with a number of fans of both the Sooners and other teams, there is a segment out there that would rather go 11-2 and win the Cotton Bowl than 12-2 and lose the Championship Game. Or 12-1 and win the Fiesta Bowl than 12-2 and lose to the National Champions.

"I would love the lose the seventh game of the World Series every year."-Whitey Herzog, after being asked in 1987 if he were tired of losing the seventh game of the World Series.

8timechamps
1/21/2009, 11:04 AM
Although, after speaking with a number of fans of both the Sooners and other teams, there is a segment out there that would rather go 11-2 and win the Cotton Bowl than 12-2 and lose the Championship Game. Or 12-1 and win the Fiesta Bowl than 12-2 and lose to the National Champions.

I get this from CU fans all the time. Funny to me though.

Would you rather date the hottest girl in the world for 6 months, only to be left at the alter...or, date the girl that's not bad to look at, has really bad gas, and still leaves you at the alter?

I'll take the hot girl for 6 months...the ride is much more fun.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/21/2009, 11:29 AM
Think before you speak guys, these guys arent leaving us for Florida or someone like that, they are leaving for playing time or because of grades. Do you really think someone would leave OU for losing the BCS title game only to go to Baylor and A&M

Good Point!

oudivesherpa
1/21/2009, 12:18 PM
I do think this is not one of our stronger classes, however, it appears there is a disconnect from current years performance and current years recruiting classes. It appears that many kids have their mind made up before or very early into the season. I would contend that performance is a lagging indicator, that is this years performance will have a greater impact on high school juniors, than the current batch of high school seniors. Any comments, am I way off base on this assumption?

ouleaf
1/21/2009, 12:32 PM
I think our rep. is fine in terms of recruiting. As long as we're consistently in the hunt for championships, we don't lose Stoops, and keep getting a lot of big time games on TV we'll still be able to recruit.

soonerfan28
1/21/2009, 01:10 PM
I think we get really strong classes about every 4 years and we had a pretty good one last year. 2004-AD, Blomar, Chris Patterson, Wolfe, Braxton, Walker, Holmes. 2008-Calhoun, Good, RJ, Johnson, Jarboe, Owens, McGee, Ibiloye, Jones, Hanna, Miller. 2005 wasn't near as strong as 2004 and 2009 won't be near as strong as last year. I also noticed that about evry 4 years we take the top players in Texas. Thats not saying that we don't get good players every year out of there.

picasso
1/21/2009, 01:24 PM

ding ding ding.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2009, 01:27 PM
I do think this is not one of our stronger classes, however, it appears there is a disconnect from current years performance and current years recruiting classes. It appears that many kids have their mind made up before or very early into the season. I would contend that performance is a lagging indicator, that is this years performance will have a greater impact on high school juniors, than the current batch of high school seniors. Any comments, am I way off base on this assumption?

OH MY GOD. they haven't played a down of frickin football.

this, by the rankings is our strongest class

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2005&School=57

when i look at that class i notice several things.

1 - 3 early entrants
2 - a lot of good players, but only two that were over the top good (lofton, kelly) that had more than 3 stars next to their name. 2 more if you count the 3 stars (iglesias and english)

now, lets look at the class after that. it didn't have near the star power as you see instead of every 4 star being 5.9 or 6.0, you see a lot of 5.8s and below

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2006&School=57

there are 7 over the top good players (4 5.8 or less) - bradford, chris brown, mccoy, gresham, trent williams, beal, and murray - with several others that have showed flashes of being great. (interesting note: you could make an argument that across the country, the 2006 high school class may be one of the strongest classes ever - taylor mays, harvin, bradford, tebow, kindle, antoine smith, etc).

looking back over many many classes you see that the "difference makers" tend to be the guys that on normal years float in the 5.7-5.9 range. this class is loaded with these guys - remember before that all star game, chaisson and lewis were in that range as well.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2009, 01:33 PM
I think we get really strong classes about every 4 years and we had a pretty good one last year. 2004-AD, Blomar, Chris Patterson, Wolfe, Braxton, Walker, Holmes. 2008-Calhoun, Good, RJ, Johnson, Jarboe, Owens, McGee, Ibiloye, Jones, Hanna, Miller. 2005 wasn't near as strong as 2004 and 2009 won't be near as strong as last year. I also noticed that about evry 4 years we take the top players in Texas. Thats not saying that we don't get good players every year out of there.

2004 was a good class?

2 jucos who started
1 early entrant
1 incredible kicker
3 starters in the secondary (dj wolfe, marcus walker, lendy holmes) that have been constantly on fans badmouthing list
2 guys who got us put on probation
several more transfers
the rest career backups

soonerfan28
1/21/2009, 01:41 PM
2004 was a good class?

2 jucos who started
1 early entrant
1 incredible kicker
3 starters in the secondary (dj wolfe, marcus walker, lendy holmes) that have been constantly on fans badmouthing list
2 guys who got us put on probation
several more transfers
the rest career backups
I'm only going by the quality they were coming out of HS. That's what were talking about here, right? We still don't know how good the 2008 really is until they get on the field.

jdsooner
1/21/2009, 02:06 PM
This may turn out to be a good class, but at the moment we have 1 wide receiver committed to the program. We are going to have to fill unexpected holes late in the process, which is very difficult. I find it dishonest to say about someone who changes their mind, "Well, we didn't need that person anyway."

SoonerFah
1/21/2009, 02:09 PM

Losing these players only opens up opportunities for other players. And it appears there are still some good ones out there at this point.

Ford, Williams, and Jones were all recruited as DB's. but we also already have Kevin Brent, Gabe Lynn, Javon Harris, and Marcus Trice so it's not like it kills us there.

Ward kinda hurts at this point, but we do have Jaz Reynolds coming in with some other players still potentially who could sign with OU.

Brandon Mahoney may decide to decommit, and that is understandable. He wants to play early and we have some established depth with 4 other incoming freshmen linebackers in his class. If he's afraid of competition, this may not be the best place for him anyways.

murray1430
1/21/2009, 07:54 PM
I would rather have the kids that commit and stick with it than the ones that are not sure. They will be your players for OU when it is all said and done. I feel the commits that will stick it out are the ones that will work the hardest to become players at OU and in turn will be the ones that help win championships not the ones that are satisfied with teams that are not at the same caliber as OU, USC, Florida, etc. I also feel that it says a lot about a kid that commits to these types of schools because they have the confidence to come in here and believe they are gonna start and make a difference. That is the type of players that I would want on my team when it counts.

PDXsooner
1/21/2009, 11:19 PM
star rankings have been one of the worst things that's ever happened to my beloved sport.

8timechamps
1/22/2009, 02:02 AM
star rankings have been one of the worst things that's ever happened to my beloved sport.

Nail meet head.

As I mentioned earlier in this post, Bradford was a three "star" player according to rivals. Shows how much they really know.

Things like Rivals,com and Scouts.com are fun to follow, but at the end of the day, these "experts" don't really know much more than we do.

soonermagic14
1/22/2009, 09:58 AM
we had a 5 star DT in McFarland but I noticed he just lost a star. why? no 5 star recruits now. what would make rivals.com take a star away? i know stars really dont mean too much but not having any 5 stars? I'm glad we have excellent coaching....these 3 and 4 stars will compete and in a lot of cases out play the "5 star" recruits b/c they have something to prove.

SoonerSig
1/22/2009, 01:04 PM
McFarland lost his 5th star due to a lackluster senior year (I think that he was just trying to stay healthy) as well as underperforming in All Star games. Doesn't mean much. The kid has been through a lot and still lives in Texas...not too much support. Once he gets to Norman and feels the love he will show the skill and promise that got him his 5th star in the first place.

oudivesherpa
1/22/2009, 06:10 PM
When I say this will not be one of our stronger classes I'm not comparing our recruits to other schools, most schools would die for this recruiting class, but compared to recent recruiting class do you think this class is stronger, weaker or about the same as prior classes? Also, some of the posters seem to think there is NO correlation between recuriting classes and on the field performance. I'm just trying to get an objective analysis of the relationship between performance and recruiting. Let's face it Mac (UT) seems to win the recruiting wars most years but compared to OU they seem to lag in performance.

Widescreen
1/22/2009, 07:13 PM
Let's face it Mac (UT) seems to win the recruiting wars most years but compared to OU they seem to lag in performance.

Really? They have beaten us 3 out of the last 4 years.

KingDavid
1/22/2009, 08:40 PM
Nail meet head.

As I mentioned earlier in this post, Bradford was a three "star" player according to rivals. Shows how much they really know.

Things like Rivals,com and Scouts.com are fun to follow, but at the end of the day, these "experts" don't really know much more than we do.

In defense of the system of ranking, which I think creates at least SOMETHING to help subdue the boredom of the off-season, Bradford was ranked about where he should have been ranked given his performance as a football player in HS. Football was probably the sport he spent the least time pursuing behind Golf and Basketball.

You can no more expect the recruiting experts to rank every high school prospect perfectly than you can expect a pro football team to rank the college prospects perfectly. That's what makes it fun not just for us, but for the recruiting experts as well, I'm sure.

The recruiting experts know a whole helluva lot more than most any average fan. Their star rankings are meaningful, indeed - although not perfect. Google Tom Lemming's biography and do a little reading about how folks like him started all of this (logging 150K miles/year in your car to visit all the top recruits and watch them play/practice) and you'll gain some respect for the price these guys have paid to study the game, its trends, and the players rising through the ranks. Their work is trivial matter, I assure you.

birddog
1/22/2009, 09:14 PM
hopefully alot of these players see that we are getting there alot and if they come here they can be the player that gets us a national championship.

the schedule sets up well for us every year. the big 12 is considered tough, and we own it. win all our games and we'll be back there again. only about 20 teams can say that.

The Remnant
1/22/2009, 10:20 PM
I would be interested to know how many recruits have committed and how many slots are still open? Alot can happen between now and national signing day.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/22/2009, 10:59 PM
we can take between 21 and 24 - most likely 22. there is an odd situation in that we may have 2 kickers on scholly right now. i only think 1 is, but if there is 2 we only have 21 free. the other scholly in question is grangers if he goes medical.

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2009, 09:49 AM
If getting your spinal cord cut on doesn't get you a medical, then nuthin should.

8timechamps
1/23/2009, 09:56 AM
In defense of the system of ranking, which I think creates at least SOMETHING to help subdue the boredom of the off-season, Bradford was ranked about where he should have been ranked given his performance as a football player in HS. Football was probably the sport he spent the least time pursuing behind Golf and Basketball.

You can no more expect the recruiting experts to rank every high school prospect perfectly than you can expect a pro football team to rank the college prospects perfectly. That's what makes it fun not just for us, but for the recruiting experts as well, I'm sure.

The recruiting experts know a whole helluva lot more than most any average fan. Their star rankings are meaningful, indeed - although not perfect. Google Tom Lemming's biography and do a little reading about how folks like him started all of this (logging 150K miles/year in your car to visit all the top recruits and watch them play/practice) and you'll gain some respect for the price these guys have paid to study the game, its trends, and the players rising through the ranks. Their work is trivial matter, I assure you.

I know there are a few guys out there that know what they are doing (Lemming being one), but most of them talk as if the schools look to them for advice, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I'll give you an example:

A good friend of mine from high school went to play at Arkansas. He was invited to the combine, but wasn't good enough to get an invite to any camps. Once he realized he wouldn't play any longer, he got into coaching. He coached for two high schools in Texas over the course of about 8 years. He eventually ended up on the coaching staff at Carson Newman (TN.) and two years ago moved to a D-1 program.

We've discussed recruiting rankings, etc. He told me that the coaching community generally ignore the scouting services and that any coach worth his weight recruiting already has a network of coaches that he goes to for information. He did say that they will utilized some folks in that industry (I'm assuming guys like Lemming) for information about recruiting trips (dates, etc.) but that was about it.

For me, the services are fun in the off-season (as you mentioned), but being able to tell how a kid will develope in college is like predicting where the stock market is going over the next four years.

The one thing that gets missed in the scouting is the character of the player. Sure they may scratch the surfice, but they don't know at the end of the day whether the kid is going to end up being a thug or a hard working team player.

Widescreen
1/23/2009, 11:05 AM
The one thing that gets missed in the scouting is the character of the player. Sure they may scratch the surfice, but they don't know at the end of the day whether the kid is going to end up being a thug or a hard working team player.
This is it in a nutshell. College football is littered with stories of can't-miss prospects who missed. Has nothing to do with athletic ability if you don't have enough marbles rolling around in your head and have the character and desire to work hard.

PDXsooner
1/23/2009, 12:13 PM
stars are an indicator of how good they were in high school. They are not a predictor of how good they'll be on the college level. Yet everyone expects it to be that. When a 5-star kid is a 4th year junior and still hasn't lived up to expectations, everyone assumes something's wrong. You know what, maybe his stars were wrong.

sffs1
1/23/2009, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know who stoops was looking at in Midway saxet, yesterday

soonerfan28
1/23/2009, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know who stoops was looking at in Midway saxet, yesterday
Seeing as how we have lost a couple of recruits in the last week then he might be checking out some last minute recruits, but usually at this time of year he's looking at next years seniors and that would be my guess.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/23/2009, 02:04 PM
stars are an indicator of how good they were in high school. They are not a predictor of how good they'll be on the college level. Yet everyone expects it to be that. When a 5-star kid is a 4th year junior and still hasn't lived up to expectations, everyone assumes something's wrong. You know what, maybe his stars were wrong.

i don't even think this is an accurate picture of star rankings. in general, it is a snapshot of a kid's athleticism in high school. if you played any sport at all, you know that their are certain types of athleticism that translate to the sport, their are certain types that don't. you also know that growth isn't something easily predicted (or otherwise david robinson would never have played basketball for navy).

enter the recruiting services - anyone who saw clips of reggie bush in high school knew that, barring injury, he was going to be a good college football player. his balance, vision, speed, elusiveness, and acceleration were uncanny. but guess what? there were other guys who had very similar highlight clips - quentin griffin, jacob gutierrez, heck even quan cosby at mart. what made bush a 5*, Q a 1*, gute a 2* and cosby a 4*? simple - bush and cosby had the size to be drafted (cosby was listed at 6' out of high school, he measured in at 5'8). you see, that is the measuring stick that the recruiting services use to judge their evaluations - the NFL draft. so guys who can play the game in high school, but aren't going to get drafted (think wes welker) aren't going to be ranked highly even though they could be great college players.

i'll put together a long winded post about our stoops classes and how they have faired on the field later. for now, look at another reason, why getting 5*s out of high school isn't the best idea.

our 5*'s and their years on campus

jamar mozee - 1
tommie harris - 3
chijioke onyenegecha* - 2
pasha jackson* - 2
lance mitchell*- 3
zach latimer - 5
rhett bomar - 2
adrian peterson - 3
gerald mccoy - 3
mike reed* - 1
stephen goode - 1
jermie calhoun - 1

* = juco

there are 2 points that we can take from this:

1. services suck at picking dominating DEs or any position that has to forecast weight gain (latimer was projected as a DE but could never break 225 lbs).

2. you pay a price for 5*s because they aren't on campus for very long. as soon as they have 1 dominating season they are gone to the next level. in other words, you can't count on them for building a MNC team. you have to get a perfect storm of 3* and 4* kids who redshirt and are juniors and seniors and then sprinkle in some 5* underclassmen like, uh florida.

snp
1/23/2009, 02:39 PM

If stars are based on production in HS than many of the top athletes playing out of position in high school wouldn't be 5*. Like Reuben Randle.

Like jkm said, it's about athletic ability. No one claims they are the truth, just a predictor.

The Remnant
1/23/2009, 10:44 PM
Do the current scouting services judge players strictly on talent? Or do they also consider character issues as well? Several decades ago one of the top lineman in the country from a nearby high school here in the Inland Empire went to OU and ended up on the wrong side of the law, Nigel Clay.

OU_Sooners75
1/24/2009, 05:19 AM
I feel pretty good about this class. I think some of our recruits flew under the radar because they signed early. Did anyone notice that Chaisson and Lewis have moved up on Rivals due to their performance at the UA game? Just proves the point that 8times made...hard to figure at this point.

:confused:

uhhhh. Recruits cannot sign early.

OU_Sooners75
1/24/2009, 05:22 AM
Being named the #1 most prestigous football program by ESPN (of all resources) probably hurt us the most.

OU_Sooners75
1/24/2009, 05:34 AM

"You can get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking your head up a bull's a$$. but wouldn't you rather take my word for it?"

:D

Little Al
1/24/2009, 05:23 PM
Goode and Calhoun are gone? WTH?

Rhino
1/24/2009, 06:59 PM
Goode and Calhoun are gone? WTH? ? No.

BillyBall
1/24/2009, 07:26 PM
Goode and Calhoun are gone? WTH?

What the hell are you talking about? They are both on campus and doing well. :confused:

Collier11
1/24/2009, 07:41 PM
I think he misread that someone earlier put that they were on campus for 1 year so far

snp
1/25/2009, 02:56 PM
Do the current scouting services judge players strictly on talent? Or do they also consider character issues as well? Several decades ago one of the top lineman in the country from a nearby high school here in the Inland Empire went to OU and ended up on the wrong side of the law, Nigel Clay.

If the character flaws are that transparent or there is no chance the prospect will qualify, then recruiting services could downgrade him. It's not the standard operating procedure but you'll see several players every year where this happens.

:confused:

uhhhh. Recruits cannot sign early.

He meant commit early.

badger
1/26/2009, 08:59 AM
Meh, Feb. 4 is approaching quickly. Blah blah 5-star blah blah highly-touted blah blah "win with or without you."

:D

soonerfan28
1/26/2009, 10:46 AM
i don't even think this is an accurate picture of star rankings. in general, it is a snapshot of a kid's athleticism in high school. if you played any sport at all, you know that their are certain types of athleticism that translate to the sport, their are certain types that don't. you also know that growth isn't something easily predicted (or otherwise david robinson would never have played basketball for navy).

enter the recruiting services - anyone who saw clips of reggie bush in high school knew that, barring injury, he was going to be a good college football player. his balance, vision, speed, elusiveness, and acceleration were uncanny. but guess what? there were other guys who had very similar highlight clips - quentin griffin, jacob gutierrez, heck even quan cosby at mart. what made bush a 5*, Q a 1*, gute a 2* and cosby a 4*? simple - bush and cosby had the size to be drafted (cosby was listed at 6' out of high school, he measured in at 5'8). you see, that is the measuring stick that the recruiting services use to judge their evaluations - the NFL draft. so guys who can play the game in high school, but aren't going to get drafted (think wes welker) aren't going to be ranked highly even though they could be great college players.

i'll put together a long winded post about our stoops classes and how they have faired on the field later. for now, look at another reason, why getting 5*s out of high school isn't the best idea.

our 5*'s and their years on campus

jamar mozee - 1
tommie harris - 3
chijioke onyenegecha* - 2
pasha jackson* - 2
lance mitchell*- 3
zach latimer - 5
rhett bomar - 2
adrian peterson - 3
gerald mccoy - 3
mike reed* - 1
stephen goode - 1
jermie calhoun - 1

* = juco

there are 2 points that we can take from this:

1. services suck at picking dominating DEs or any position that has to forecast weight gain (latimer was projected as a DE but could never break 225 lbs).

2. you pay a price for 5*s because they aren't on campus for very long. as soon as they have 1 dominating season they are gone to the next level. in other words, you can't count on them for building a MNC team. you have to get a perfect storm of 3* and 4* kids who redshirt and are juniors and seniors and then sprinkle in some 5* underclassmen like, uh florida.
Not that it matters with the point you're making but RJ Washington was also a five star.

Geronimo12
1/26/2009, 11:01 AM
I saw on SI.com that OU has contacted Robert Marve....Does anyone else have more info?

Collier11
1/26/2009, 11:17 AM
Yea, Stoops contacted him to gauge his interest, Marves dad now says he is considering OU. Keep in mind we only have 3 scholly QBs when Allen gets here and SB will be gone after this coming season barring an injury

badger
1/26/2009, 11:47 AM
So... um... any recruiting violations or other fun foul play to report on the national scene?

2008: Athlete fakes recruitment by picking Cal over Oregon in front of HS audience

2007: Joe McKnight "misspeaks" about speaking to Reggie Bush before choosing USC

Thoughts?

soonerfan28
1/26/2009, 01:45 PM
Reuben Randle pulls a fast one on LSU at the last minute and chooses OU.

badger
1/26/2009, 02:37 PM
Reuben Randle pulls a fast one on LSU at the last minute and chooses OU.

I could see this happening. Joe McKnight got so fed up with all the LSU gibberish from local Baton Rouge fans and Tigah this and Tigah that so he went as far away from Louisiana as possible - Southern California.

However, anyone who defects from the state of Louisiana has hell to pay. Unless you leave town right away from an early verbal and enroll and the outta state university, you'll put up with outraged cajuns (ragin' cajuns, if you will) who are infuriated that you would have no state pride, because you're not an LSU Tiger.

So... is he the type to want to leave home and see what else the country has to offer, or is he more of the type to play it safe and stay home rather than deal with angry TIGAH BAIT chants?

If he comes to us, we'll know that he's a great guy for wanting to accept that challenge and put up with the pressure that comes with making such a decision. If he stays with LSU... well, we wouldn't have wanted a 'play it safe' guy anyway.

soonerfan28
1/27/2009, 01:37 PM
Him waiting until the last minute could for sure be a sign that he either is thinking out of state and is waiting to let people know because of the backlash that he's gonna recieve or he is still torn about where to go and they both work in OU's favor.

badger
1/27/2009, 02:16 PM
Him waiting until the last minute could for sure be a sign that he either is thinking out of state and is waiting to let people know because of the backlash that he's gonna recieve or he is still torn about where to go and they both work in OU's favor.

Perhaps there is a side to Les Miles that we as fans of other teams don't see. What I see is loud, brash, arrogant, cocky, strange, ego-filled, eccentric...

I'll keep it short by saying that there's little to be desired from the fan perspective. About the only thing I've liked about him was kicking Ryan Perriloux (sp?) off the team when it was obvious that he was damaged goods.

As far as competing, LSU needs to up its talent level so that it will be back in championship contention, but it looks like getting Lester is starting to take its toll on them as far as recruiting and winning go.

In any event, a lot of reasons to not attend LSU.

cjames317
1/27/2009, 02:22 PM
Other than Chris Brown, we got any other returning Louisiana guys? Maybe that'll help?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/27/2009, 03:07 PM
nic harris, brent rawls, rufus harris

OklahomaTuba
1/27/2009, 03:37 PM
3/4 isn't that bad I guess.

snp
1/27/2009, 04:14 PM
Frank Alexander.

Salt City Sooner
1/27/2009, 05:06 PM
nic harris, brent rawls, rufus harris
Rufus Alexander, mebbe? ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/27/2009, 05:20 PM
whoops, crossover from a thread about recruits mouthing off out of high school.

Harry Beanbag
1/27/2009, 05:43 PM
whoops, crossover from a thread about recruits mouthing off out of high school.

Heh, I forgot about him. Isn't he the one that talked **** about OU's academics then promptly flunked out of UT? :D