PDA

View Full Version : Grayshirt

nytehorn
1/19/2009, 08:36 PM
Can any of you explain exactly what a "grayshirt" means. I have seen it used when schools go over the 25 scholly limit in a recruiting year. This year, A&M and NC are over that yearly limit; will they have to grayshirt some players? How does this work? Does the player pay his own way, until a scholly is available or what?

setem
1/19/2009, 09:10 PM
I am not sure but I am pretty sure a greyshirt is a student who does not enroll in classes until the spring so he pretty much gets 6 years to play 4. I could be wrong though.

sooner59
1/19/2009, 10:32 PM
I think you are right. To my understanding, when a school gives out too many offers and receives more commitments than the number of scholarships available, they can "grayshirt" the players unable to receive the scholarship. The player basically agrees to go to that school, although not part of the recruiting class that season. They go to school during the first semester and are guaranteed a scholarship after that as part of the next recruiting class. So setem, it sounds like we have similar views of the rule.

MALE918
1/20/2009, 02:44 PM
a gray shirt is basically a delayed entry program. a player has 5 years of eligibility to play 4. his eligibility begins when he enrolls. a player has several options.
1: if he feels he can start immediately. grad h.s. early sign in feb. and then enroll and start practicing in spring. could start or redshirt.
2: sign in feb grad h.s. regularly and enroll in fall and start practicing in fall. doubtful to start but can redshirt.
3: or grayshirt and get a sixth year to play four by graduating h.s. early or on time. not play or practice at all that fall with team and instead attend classes at your college or a juco and instead enroll and become eligible the following spring.
why would a player do this? there are several reasons. too few scholarships, grades, mom wants child to compete at an older age so he's more developed, recovering from h.s. injury, etc.
it mostly only happens in football but can sometimes happen in other sports.