PDA

View Full Version : Austin Johnson is Big 12 Player of the Week

Jay C. Upchurch
1/19/2009, 11:44 AM
NORMAN -- Senior Austin Johnson was named the Phillips 66 Big 12 Player of the Week today after leading the Oklahoma men's basketball team to victories over 11th-ranked Texas and Texas A&M last week. It marked the first time in his career he was named league player of the week.

Johnson, a point guard who entered the week averaging 6.6 points per contest, sported averages of 17.0 points, 5.5 assists, 3.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots against the Longhorns and Aggies. He shot .571 from the field on the week (12-for-21), .571 from 3-point range (4-for-7) and .857 from the free throw line (6-for-7).

In a 78-63 home win over Texas last Monday, Johnson registered 15 points, four assists, two boards and a block while going 6-for-9 from the floor and 1-for-1 from behind the arc. He was also OU's primary defender against Texas guard A.J. Abrams, who finished the night 8-for-27 from the field and 3-for-15 from 3-point range.

Johnson was even better in a 69-63 win at College Station Saturday, finishing with a season-high 19 points, seven assists (both game highs), four rebounds and two blocked shots. He was 6-for-12 from the field, 3-for-6 from long distance and 4-for-4 at the charity stripe. His key 3-pointer with 1:36 left put OU up by five after the Aggies had cut OU's lead from 14 to two.

Johnson now averages 7.7 points, 4.4 assists, 2.8 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.0 blocked shot on the season. He leads the Big 12 and ranks in the top 10 nationally with his 3.2 assist-to-turnover ratio.

The Big 12 Player of the Week honor is the fifth for Oklahoma this season as sophomore Blake Griffin has claimed four awards. Freshman Willie Warren has been named Big 12 Rookie of the Week four times.

Kansas freshman guard Tyshawn Taylor was this week's Big 12 Rookie of the Week honoree after averaging 17.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists in two wins.

Johnson's Sooners, who are off to their best start (17-1) in 23 years, host Nebraska on Wednesday at 8 p.m. CST and No. 21 Baylor on Saturday at 3 p.m.

OU Sports Info Report

stoopified
1/19/2009, 11:58 AM
Very much deserved.AJ is by far the most overlooked or underratted PG in the Big 12.

Boomer.....
1/19/2009, 11:59 AM
Great for him and well deserved.

cjames317
1/19/2009, 12:48 PM
Congrats, AJ. The TV announcers used the term "senior leadership" often during the game and it described his game perfectly. Hope it continues.

soonerfan28
1/20/2009, 10:46 AM
Big 12 Players of the week
Nov. 17 Blake Griffin, Oklahoma, F, So.
Nov. 24 Blake Griffin, Oklahoma, F, So.
Dec. 1 Blake Griffin, Oklahoma, F, So.
Dec. 8 Craig Brackins, Iowa State, F, So.
A.J. Abrams, Texas, G, Sr.
Dec. 15 Cory Higgins, Colorado, G, So
Dec. 22 James Anderson, Oklahoma State, G/F, So
Dec. 29 Craig Brackins, Iowa State, F, So.
Jan. 5 Sherron Collins, Kansas, G, Jr.
Jan. 12 Blake Griffin, Oklahoma, F, So.
Jan. 19 Austin Johnson, Oklahoma, G, Sr.

Rookies of the week
Nov. 17 Toney McCray, Nebraska, G, Fr.
Nov. 24 Quincy Acy, Baylor, F, Fr.
Willie Warren, Oklahoma, G, Fr
Dec. 1 Willie Warren, Oklahoma, G, Fr.
Dec. 8 Tyshawn Taylor, Kansas, G, Fr.
Dec. 15 Lucca Staiger, Iowa State, G, So.
Dec. 22 Tyshawn Taylor, Kansas G, Fr.
Dec. 29 Willie Warren, Oklahoma, G, Fr.
Jan. 5 Willie Warren, Oklahoma, G, Fr.
Jan. 12 Lucca Staiger, Iowa State, G, So.
Jan. 19 Tyshawn Taylor, Kansas G, Fr.

There's quite a few OU players on these lists and it looks pretty nice.

birddog
1/20/2009, 11:33 AM
he's looked pretty good lately. it is his senior year so hopefully he feels he needs to step up if this team is going to make a run in the tourney. we are short on pg's and EVERYONE is counting on him to be that outside presence that can also dish the ball and defend. these last two games he's done exactly that.

keep on working, AJ.

cheezyq
1/20/2009, 04:29 PM
What's really impressed me is his ability to recognize a lane and get to the basket. He's also snuck in that backdoor screen a couple of times, which is a nice, quick and easy 2 points.

While his defense hasn't been of the "lockdown" variety, he's made some key plays and stops on defense when we needed it.

ouleaf
1/21/2009, 12:17 PM
I think AJ has gained a lot of confidence this year. I think he doesn't have as much pressure on him anymore with more playmakers out there on the floor for us. Plus the offense really flows through Blake first and AJ doesn't really have to create as much on his own like in previous years.

I hope he can play like this come tourney time. I'm a little anxious about his abilities if teams can throw bigger guards at him. We'll have to see over the next few months if he continues to produce.

sooner59
1/22/2009, 12:38 AM
I will admit, I never cared for Austin Johnson. I always though he was on the court when there had to be someone better. This season, I have to give it up to "both" Griffin brothers. Both have really stepped up their games and they earned it all in the offseason. Willie Warren is as-advertised, and I am convinced he is the real deal and will be playing in the NBA next year. But I am the "proudest" of Austin Johnson". He seems to have reached a second level that I honestly thought wasn't there. If he keeps competing at a high level, we have a chance to go really far in the tournament. If we stay healthy and keep competing at a high level, we can realistically reach the final four. Who knows what would happen if we got there and got "hot". This is a pretty special team. Im backing them regardless 100%.