PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jack on the way out???

OklahomaTuba
1/19/2009, 09:19 AM
The San Antonio Express-News reported that Oklahoma secondary coach Bobby Jack Wright is on a short list of candidates to start a program at the University of Texas-San Antonio. Wright was one of Bob Stoops’ first hires in December 1998, and the former Texas recruiting coordinator's strong ties and connections in Texas helped OU’s new coach made immediate inroads into the Lone Star State.

Why would an assistant at one of the best programs in the country want to leave all that to build a team from scratch? Because almost every assistant coach wants to be a head coach.

And there's also the fact that Stoops has been heavily involved the past two seasons in helping coach what had become a leaky secondary. Make of that what you will.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/blogs/weblog.aspx?column_id=13

cobrapilot
1/19/2009, 11:54 AM
Nice retirement job for BJW

Could be a deal much like Pete Fredenberg got at the University of Mary Hardin Baylor when there was a coaching change at Baylor

I have always been suspect of BJW's coaching ability but he is one helluva recruiter in Texas

OU will miss his recruiting contacts

ashley
1/19/2009, 02:14 PM
Forget it. It is not gonna happen. He has no interest although it is his if he wanted it. The will turn to Bill Bradley if they can overcome the fact that Bill does not have a college degree. Legal but frowned on by academia It will probably happen now that Bill is nolonger with the Chargers.

SoonersEnFuego
1/19/2009, 04:15 PM
Yes, but what about Bill Brasky?

TXBOOMER
1/19/2009, 08:05 PM
LOL...I would be shocked if Bobby Jack even thought about that job.

Curly Bill
1/19/2009, 08:07 PM
I'd be disapponited if BJW didn't think about, and preferably take that job.

william_brasky
1/19/2009, 08:15 PM

No one has contacted me yet.

ashley
1/19/2009, 08:26 PM
Bill, he is at OU and going to stay. Not good for you but good for OU.

Curly Bill
1/19/2009, 08:27 PM
Bill, he is at OU and going to stay. Not good for you but good for OU.

Yep, that's why Bob has to help coach his position. :rolleyes:

SOONER STEAKER
1/19/2009, 10:15 PM

LMAO. Thanks for the great laugh..

Crucifax Autumn
1/19/2009, 10:37 PM
ah...the offseason. Time for coaching speculation and grand humor!

No wonder I spend too much time on here.

AlbqSooner
1/20/2009, 06:32 AM
Leavitt left a pretty good KState to start a program at South Florida.

SoonerAtKU
1/20/2009, 07:58 AM
Yep, that's why Bob has to help coach his position. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's any secret that Wright's biggest strength is his recruiting. If they can shuffle him around and get him more experience at a position that we have an expert in, all the better. I don't see what the downside is. Would you like to hire a worse recruiter who maybe has one idea up his sleeve that Bob doesn't have?

NormanPride
1/20/2009, 10:31 AM
BJW is a proven commodity as a secondary coach, and an excellent recruiter. Our problems with the passing game have not been from our corners or safeties.

ashley
1/20/2009, 09:22 PM
Norman Pride, you are are a very smart man.

Jmorales22
1/20/2009, 09:39 PM
I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion, but its been obvious to me that BJW hasn't done that great of a job of coaching the secondary. We have not been up to our standard in the secondary since Mike left. Agreed BJW is a great recruiter though. But Bob alone as the head coach is simply not going to always be there and I'd like more consistency out of our secondary. It hasn't just been the backers in coverage.

bluedogok
1/20/2009, 10:15 PM
UTSA is going full bore to get to Division I-A football, it has already been approved by the school. They will be starting out in DI-AA, they are already D-I in basketball. It is very much along the lines of what Leavitt did at USF, a traditional commuter school with close to 30,000 enrollment and projections to grow more. As long as they have capped UT enrollment at 50,000 like they have stated the other systems schools will keep growing.

I could see him doing this as a "retirement job" considering that he is quite a bit older than the most of the OU staff.

I know we are trying to get in on the campus building projects down there.

SoonerTerry
1/20/2009, 11:51 PM

saw him at a kegger... he drank the keg and pissed out the bonfire... ***hole

badger
1/21/2009, 06:45 AM

Yes he is :D

I have every confidence that BJW could build a strong foundation for the new football program at San Antwan, but BJW might not want to start from scratch at his point in his career. Surely he's looked at how other assistants from OU who have had their own successes in recruiting and coaching here have fared at other jobs lately. Yes, Leach is off being the mad scientist and Fightin' Mangina was Orange Bowling it up last season with a 12-1 record, but then you have Chuck Long out in San Diego State, or the Arizona hell Mike Stoops had up until this season.

This type of stuff has to lead assistants now to believe that they shouldn't just take an opportunity because it's there, but take the best possible opportunity for them, even if it means staying at OU. There's a big difference between going to a vacant coaching job because it's vacant and for your taking, then waiting it out and looking for a better vacant coaching job.

I'm not sure San Antonio is the best option for BJW... especially compared with his spot at OU, even if it's an assistant's spot compared with a head coaching spot.

swardboy
1/21/2009, 07:27 AM

Badger?

OU_Sooners75
1/22/2009, 06:17 AM
BJW is a proven commodity as a secondary coach, and an excellent recruiter. Our problems with the passing game have not been from our corners or safeties.

Then tell us, oh masterful one, what has the problem been? It damn sure has not been our DLine!

Because the last time I looked, giving up a ton of yards through the air starts and finishes with the back 7, mainly the secondary.

Guess what. BJW coaches the secondary.

ashley
1/22/2009, 08:23 PM
You take a very simple view of our defense. Please tell what our philosophy of defense has been since Coach Stoops has been our coach.

TXBOOMER
1/22/2009, 08:34 PM
Then tell us, oh masterful one, what has the problem been? It damn sure has not been our DLine!

Because the last time I looked, giving up a ton of yards through the air starts and finishes with the back 7, mainly the secondary.

Guess what. BJW coaches the secondary.

BJW is a cocky dude, but the defensive struggles had more to do with inexperience this year than anything else. By the end of the year the secondary was playing pretty good. Really good when we were blitzing and getting strong pressure on the QB. Tech, Nebraska etc.

OU_Sooners75
1/23/2009, 03:43 AM
BJW is a cocky dude, but the defensive struggles had more to do with inexperience this year than anything else. By the end of the year the secondary was playing pretty good. Really good when we were blitzing and getting strong pressure on the QB. Tech, Nebraska etc.

Sorry, I do not buy all that inexperience when you are continually fading.

Maybe the first 3 or 4 games, but at some time those starters have enough experience to do a better job.

So it lies in one of two areas....

1. Position Coaching
2. Defensive Schemes...

Hell maybe even both.

Hell, we created a crap ton of turnovers. So It is not like our DBs were sorry and inexperienced by the time we played Florida.

Sorry, I do not buy it.