PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read this book (Homey bait)?

OKC-SLC
1/18/2009, 07:45 PM
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan

I just bought it last night along with a couple other books. Looking forward to finishing the ones I'm reading (Bud Said to Barry Who Told Bob... and Outliers) so I can get to this one.

Anyone read this?

Okla-homey
1/18/2009, 08:05 PM
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan

I just bought it last night along with a couple other books. Looking forward to finishing the ones I'm reading (Bud Said to Barry Who Told Bob... and Outliers) so I can get to this one.

Anyone read this?

Not me, but it sounds awesome. Does it include first-person narrative accounts by survivors? That sort of historical non-fiction is the gold standard IMHO. Studs Terkel did a project on WWII based on first-person accounts that is among my all time favs.

OKC-SLC
1/18/2009, 08:16 PM
I think it is mostly first hand info; not sure if it's direct narratives, but I can't wait to find out.

It won a national book award for nonfiction in 2006. http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2006_nf_egan.html