PDA

View Full Version : TAMU Game Thoughts

OUSKINS
1/17/2009, 08:56 PM
--Don't like it one bit when refs get as ticky-tack as they did today. The game was called "fairly" if not slightly in OU's favor, but all of those off-the-ball fouls, traveling calls, and hand-checks make it very difficult for the game or any individuals to get into a flow.

--OU controlled the tempo of the game early. TAMU seemed a bit taken aback early at first and somewhat tentative--which is odd for an underdog team playing at home. In those situations, you can usually count on the home team coming out hot like KSU did last Saturday. To be honest, TAMU spent the entire game trying to claw back from the early 9-0 deficit-- they never got there.

--No problem with how Blake played today. Not a good game for him overall, but he was pretty assertive and helped us get off to such a good start. He got into some foul trouble and I thought Capel did a good job of getting him in and out of the game. Blake simply had a hard time getting the ball to fall tonight-- that's going to happen. But I liked that he didn't go into a shell or shy away from the ball.

--Austin Johsnon probably played the best game of his career today. He was superb on both ends of the floor. Excellent defense for the second game in a row and those three's he hit were DAGGERS for the Aggies. He also created offense for the rest of the team and displayed some true senior leadership. The easy MVP of the game.

--The "runner up" for MVP was definitely Taylor. Looks like he's gotten back to his "garbage man" ways. He was hustling all over the floor and taking advantage of his offensive opportunities. Lately, I think he's been forcing his offense at times, but today I only counted one poor decision. Those shots off the glass in the second half were huge.

--My love-hate relationship with Tony Crocker continues with serious intensity. Crocker was great against Texas on Monday; he was downriight awful today. 6 turnovers from a non-point guard? Really? He was a mess when he had the ball in his hands. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a severe hot-cold player. I just don't get it.

--Willie was quiet today--- no problem with that though. Other guys were rolling and he just kind of tagged along...he did make one HUGE three during a TAMU run though and those little floating runners are a thing of beauty. I never worry about Willie-- I trust that he understands when he needs to take over and when he can afford to hang back. He is a very smart basketball player.

--Kudos to Ryan Wright for finally making an impact. He did a fine job filling in for Blake. First time all year he's really made any kind of impact that mattered.

--This probably wasn't our "best" win of the season, but it might be the most gratifying. This was a really tough game to win-- TAMU is a solid team and they are excellent at home. Coming off the UT win and facing a sold-out crowd, had all of the makings of bad afternoon. But Capel had the guys ready to go for this one...I think the blase' effort we saw against Arkansas may have woken them up a bit.

--Look around the country....winning on the road in conference isn't easy...for anyone. I'm really happy we've started 2-0 on the road and we've made it real clear early that we are by far the team to beat in the Big 12.

I'm feeling really confident in the team right now....they have been very focused and aggressive in their three B12 games.

Now, they have fairly interesting week ahead: Nebraska on Wed; Baylor Saturday and at OSU the following Monday. The Cornhuskers are on average team...nothing special, but probably a bit better than in years past. Remember, they DESTROYED us in Lincoln last year. I expect a win, but I'm not totally writing them off.

Baylor is exciting..their game against OSU today was highly entertaining. I think there's a chance OSU and Baylor are BOTH better than Texas....impressed by both so far. Those will be good tests.

Sooner04
1/17/2009, 09:11 PM
Good recap.

I got shanghai'd by the wife into going to see a movie with my in-laws at the Warren today. If you were at the 12:30 screening of Gran Torino, I was the guy listening to the OU BBall game on my radio headphones. It was a bitch trying to get score updates from Big Bob, but it sounds like we pulled it through.

Big win when you consider we've got two home games this week. Got a change to really jump on the conference race.

There has never been a more hot/cold player than Tony Crocker. Nice to see us win with a sub-par effort from the Crock Pot. Lots of guys are stepping up, and that's the sign of a really good team.

Soonerfan88
1/17/2009, 10:01 PM
I thought overall the "team" played very well today. They are starting to work well together and that is what will carry us further into the tournament.

Still not sure what to think of Crocker. Did they say anything on the radio postgame show about his ankle?

Also, any reports on Omar Leary? He took a pretty hard hit and then bounced off the floor so hopefully no concussion issues there.

Soonerus
1/17/2009, 10:04 PM
Great recap...Great win...

Sooner74
1/17/2009, 11:46 PM
I am a little concerned with the hot cold play of our players. I surely know it isn't our coaching. Could it just be that we have two really good players and some people playing above themselves sometimes?

OUSKINS
1/18/2009, 12:42 AM
I am a little concerned with the hot cold play of our players. I surely know it isn't our coaching. Could it just be that we have two really good players and some people playing above themselves sometimes?

It's a fair question:

Are guys inconsistent-- or are they just not all that good, and occasionally play well?

I think AJ and Taylor probably fall into the category of guys that truly get the most out of what they have 99% of the time. Any "inconsistencies" we see are just signs of what they really are. Nothing wrong with that... just the facts.

But Crocker is different IMO. I could be wrong. I could be overrating him, but I think the RIDICULOUS swings of play are quite odd. I've said it before, if he was inconsistent having a good game/bad game/average game, then I'd think that made sense. But Crocker goes from being the best player on the floor to the worst player on the floor all during the same week.

My guess would be that confidence has something to do with it. Seems like if Crock gets off to a slow start, things snowball badly for him and vice versa when he starts off well.

I think I have a pretty good read on "what" every OU player "is" at this point....but Crocker? I don't have a clue.

oumartin
1/18/2009, 07:30 AM
Heck, Crocker buried his first shot yesterday(a three), and it was downhill from there. I've seen this a few times from him. IMO if he starts out making a basket early he may feel he is gonna have a good game and he is forcing to much. Thats the reason you see him turning it over.

I think we he comes out and just plays within himself and eases into his scoring and lets things come to him then he is at his best. Its those games when he hits something really early that seem to be his worse

8timechamps
1/18/2009, 10:23 PM
You hit the nail on the head about the ref's calls during the game. I don't think I've ever seen so many traveling calls as I did during the game.

It was a good win, and A&M seems to be playing like a team on the rise, I still question their ability to make a run for a tourny spot.

The thing that impressed me most (other than AJ's play) was our effective free throw shooting. I don't know what the final numbers ended up being, but we hit them when we needed them...something I had been worried about.

I'm not too concerend with Nebraska (although they aren't to be taken lightly), but Baylor scares me. They can be as good as anyone in the conference, or they can play poorly (as I thought they did against the Pokes).

I thought Blake had a decent game given the amount of time he was on the bench.

What are the downfalls to moving Willie to point? I'm just playing the "what-if" game. If AJ can play close to the way he did Saturday, no problem. Didn't Willie play point in High School (or at least a portion)? I'm sure Coach C knows what he's doing...just curious.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/19/2009, 11:39 AM
Nice recap, skins.

Thank you Ryan Wright for bringing some energy to the floor.

AJ saved our bacon. I think skull may have to take AJ out of his rants and insert Crocker. Doesn't it seem like we always have that guy that lives up to his ability about a third of the time? I think Crocker's filled that role the last three years.

ouwapiti
1/19/2009, 11:58 AM
hand checking is 'supposed' to be an automatic foul.....its 'supposed' to be a 'point of emphasis' in officiating but is not called enough...that, along with rough play, also a 'point of emphasis', are a couple of reasons that you see low scoring college games...... i might add also, that very few blocked shots are indeed blocked shots without any body or arm contact......which also contributes to low scoring games.....the officials have let the game become more physical which limits skill and favors 'bruiser' games.....

cjames317
1/19/2009, 12:37 PM
I believe last year's game in collietown was one of those "bruiser" games. Blake's foul trouble helped him avoid some manhandling.

josh09
1/19/2009, 01:15 PM
Yes, this recap is pretty good. I was there, and that place was ridiculously loud, as well.

birddog
1/21/2009, 12:02 PM
so, is anybody upset now that we didn't hire turgeon? besides GHP, of course.

OUstud
1/21/2009, 12:10 PM
so, is anybody upset now that we didn't hire turgeon? besides GHP, of course.

:D The extent of his coaching seems to be swearing when one of his players turns it over (see: pretty much all of the first half vs. KU).

King Crimson
1/21/2009, 01:15 PM
i never liked the guy as a player (complete jerkoff) and would NOT have wanted him at OU....but, i think he's got a chance to be a pretty good coach. i wouldn't bury him just yet.