PDA

View Full Version : A proud/exciting day for a dad (me)

OU-HSV
1/17/2009, 01:44 AM
Ladies and gents, today we enrolled my son in his first organized team sport. That's right, my boy is going to be playing some spring T-Ball I'm really excited..not only will this introduce him to team sports, but I think he'll have fun and it will burn some of that wild nearly 4 year old kid energy off. He likes to hit the nerf/tough foam baseball set in the back yard, so that's a good start. Turns out baseball seems to be the only youth/rec sport kids can start at age 4 around here.
I actually never played baseball/t-ball. I did play softball a few years ago and it was fun. But I was a soccer kid and then eventually a football kid. But I respect baseball and what it stands for. And it's like I told my wife, just because football is my favorite doesn't mean he has to only play it. Basically I want my son to play whatever he wants. So we'll see how this goes. I'll drop some updates every now and then maybe.
What's all of your input?? Surely some of you have kids that have played T-Ball or Baseball. Did they start at age 4 as well and did they like it??

(oh and I felt this would best fit in the S.O. for maximum exposure, and since it's not just a "sports" topic)

SPuL
1/17/2009, 02:05 AM
Congrats! I can't comment on having a kid play, but I started the same way when I was younger.

Does he seem like he likes baseball? If he does, it should work out fine. Not only will it give him an outlet to play something he enjoys, but it'll introduce him to the aspect of teamwork and playing as a team. Maybe gain new friends, and the extra motivation and encouragement from the coaches is always a plus.

Hope it goes well!

OU-HSV
1/17/2009, 02:14 AM
Yeah I think he'll like it.
Thanks for the input

OUHOMER
1/17/2009, 05:31 AM
OH yea, my son played T-ball, pitching machine, baseball, thru high school ball.

Dude, it was so much fun for him and me, I can't explain it. We played almost year round. spring ball, summer ball, fall ball. He ended up being pretty damn good at it. I personally think it helped shape him into the young man he is today.

But T-ball was a blast, you will see it all. kids in the outfield picking there nose, dancing because they have to pee. Just remember it's t-ball and they are learning. You will see parents who think each game is a world series playoff game

OUHOMER
1/17/2009, 05:36 AM
As a matter of fact, I have been thinking about going up and volunteering to coach a youth baseball team, or maybe umping. Been waiting for grand kids, but at the pace my kids are going, I will be dead and gone before they have kids.

olevetonahill
1/17/2009, 06:04 AM
I coached Both of My sons T-ball teams . Its a Blast
Just remember Coaching a T-ball team Is kinda Like herding a Can of worms down a Hot sidewalk .

Okla-homey
1/17/2009, 06:53 AM
Good for you. And whatever you do, do not let him get interested in soccer. Its a girls' sport and would make him turn ghey and and become a communist sympathizer. ;)

Preservation Parcels
1/17/2009, 07:51 AM
Outstanding! Our four sons meant a lot of baseball over the years, and one is still in it. It's more than a sport. The comraderie stays with them long after the last pitch, and it's a great way to meet other parents, too.
Just stay away from the crazed ones who are trying to live their frustrated lives vicariously through their children. Offer to coach, do field maintenance, keep score, do concession stand, be team parent, organize the team party, etc. Take good team snacks; homemade brownies, cinnamon rolls, and cookies go over very well.

Play catch, chase balls, and enjoy time with your son and encourage him to do his best. You'll always be his favorite "coach." Teach him to be a good, coachable player. As he gets older, teams are drafted, and if he gets a reputation for sportsmanship, it will get him on better teams. One of our sons had medium talent, but coaches told us they fought over him because his attitude made the team better.

We've endured really bad win-loss seasons, and we've enjoyed our youngest son's team winning the state championship. Baseball has been a great part of our family. I hope you have as much fun as we did.
:pop:

AlbqSooner
1/17/2009, 08:56 AM
Friend of mine attended his son's first T ball game. Dad was a very macho jock type and he was sooooo proud of Kyle. Every time Kyle did something well, Dad was telling everyone around, "That's my son!"

Kyle got on base and advanced to second with the next batter. Subsequent batter got a long hit and Kyle sped toward third. Coach waved him home and he rounded third at full speed. About half way home he broke stride and SKIPPED to the plate.

Everyone except Dad was laughing. Dad was yelling, NO KYLE NO! DON'T SKIP IN BASEBALL!

OU-HSV
1/17/2009, 09:09 AM
Cool, thanks for all the input yall, sounds like it will be a great experience (for both of us).
On down side is how late some of the weeknight games will be. If I recall correctly they told me some games start at 7:15. Usually my son goes to bed at 8, but I'm sure he'll manage to stay awake later since he'll be having fun.

OUHOMER
1/17/2009, 09:13 AM
Wait till the tournaments start, you will get a late game across town or 2 towns over, not get home until midnight.

Preservation Parcels
1/17/2009, 09:54 AM
Cool, thanks for all the input yall, sounds like it will be a great experience (for both of us).
On down side is how late some of the weeknight games will be. If I recall correctly they told me some games start at 7:15. Usually my son goes to bed at 8, but I'm sure he'll manage to stay awake later since he'll be having fun.

Our league scheduled the youngest teams to play early and on Saturdays. By the time they were 10, games might be scheduled to start later. I hope yours does the same. Unless they have lights, the sun dictates how late they can play. I've never seen a lighted T-ball field.

Hot Rod
1/17/2009, 12:19 PM
My oldest son is now 8 and has played 4 years of baseball(3 years of t-ball, 1 year pitch machine). I never forced him to play. He just loved baseball. He's enjoyed ever since then. I've helped coach on his team and it can be a challenge sometimes, because there are parents who push their kids to play and they don't want to be out there AT ALL!

The games do create an atmosphere where something funny is bound to happen, so be sure to have cameras ready. Usually in 4-5 t-ball they don't keep score, unless it's a tournament game, so you'll see parents/families from both sides cheering on all participants.

Enjoy the first season!