PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Air Force

Melo
1/16/2009, 11:42 PM
Vet asked me to come by and give an update on the things that have been going on with me.

January 9th, I graduated BMT.

I was the second round of flights to go through the new 8.5 week program. I had so much fun while I was there - We did so many awesome things, like, the obstacle course, the gas chamber, M16 and M9 range. We did the BEAST (Basic Expedentiary Airman Survival Tactics), which meant we went out to the field for an entire week to get a feel for being in a deployed location. I loved every moment of it - I pulled DFP (Defensive Fighting Position) duty ALL day the day of evaluations and earned my sector major points, leading to an extra banner on our guideon. I spent 8.5 weeks not shaving my legs, plucking my eyebrows, etc. I also opted for no showers at the BEAST. It was amazing.

While all of the things we learned were difficult, we accomplished them all, and graduated together. I dont really feel as if I have changed much, personality wise, but I do know that I've gained a greater sense of patriotism, a greater sense of pride and confidence in myself, and the knowledge that I can accomplish a lot more than I originally thought. I know Ive made the right decision.

I passed my PT eval with flying colors - 33 pushups in 1 minute, 55 situps in 1 minute and 11:30 1.5 mile run. I was one of three females to get an extra town pass at graduation for receiving above minimum PT requirements.

Jan 12th, I arrived at Goodfellow AFB for Tech School for my #1 job choice. Some people told me I was stupid for joining the AF with an open contract, however, Im VERY happy with my job selection. Im 1N4, or Network Intelligence Assessment - basically, an intel analyst. We havent been told much about what we actually do - they informed us to just tell people were students, or that were in the AF, and that they couldnt actually tell us much about our job until we recieved our security clearances and were physically in a secure building. My school doesnt actually start till Feb. 4th, and it should last for about 17 weeks.

Im not sure if I mentioned it on here or not, but before I left for basic, I got engaged. We werent planning on getting married until after he came back from Iraq, however, the last few days have been nothing but reconsideration, as far as that is concerned.

I havent been around here much, however, I hope everyone is healthy and happy.

These are some pictures of my fiance and I before I left for basic, him and I on Thanksgiving, then of me from the BEAST.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/l_e168f88b07f342969e59f7814acee0d9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/l_b45b0cfe17a14984845f2e9a8d440538.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/mel.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/mel2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/mel3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/mel4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/mel5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/mel6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/mellybelly/096_719.jpg

VeeJay
1/17/2009, 12:14 AM
Awesome!

Thanks for the update. You look great in those pics.

Congrats on the fiance thing too.

PrideTrombone
1/17/2009, 12:18 AM
Good to hear you're doing well!! Nice glasses. ;)

Tailwind
1/17/2009, 12:25 AM
Great going girl! Or should I now be saying "woman"! I'm so proud of you!

Curly Bill
1/17/2009, 01:00 AM
Congrats and keep up the good work. Cool pics too, I want me one of those colored guns. :D

Flagstaffsooner
1/17/2009, 01:23 AM
Were you Latrine Queen?;)

olevetonahill
1/17/2009, 06:00 AM
Congrats and keep up the good work. Cool pics too, I want me one of those colored guns. :D

Wonder why they are blue?
Are they Trainers ?

Okla-homey
1/17/2009, 06:38 AM
yay Melo! Now, keep your head down and stay focused, be a DG from tech school, and hit that first assignment running. The great thing about Big Blue is, if you can dream it, you can do it. And it will give you back as much as you give it.

And don't forget that bachelors degree. Once you get settled in at your new assignment and achieve your five level, get started on finishing your degree. No sense in not doing so since its free. That way, you'll be all set when you decide to apply for commissioning.

Flagstaffsooner
1/17/2009, 07:01 AM
Leave it to the Air Force to make a cute girl look ugly.;)

Okla-homey
1/17/2009, 07:30 AM
Leave it to the Air Force to make a cute girl look ugly.;)

but after three months deployed, there are plenty of horn-dogs that look right past the the BCG's, dirty fingernails and untweezed eye mustaches.;)

I once observed a group of three airmen standing outside a female tent just staring with longing looks at a couple bras and granny panties hung on a length of rope to dry.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2009, 08:01 AM
Awesome, Congratulations on everything. Does this mean Melo gets to be Ol' Vet Posse Intel Analyst ;)

Flagstaffsooner
1/17/2009, 08:13 AM
but after three months deployed, there are plenty of horn-dogs that look right past the the BCG's, dirty fingernails and untweezed eye mustaches.;)

I once observed a group of three airmen standing outside a female tent just staring with longing looks at a couple bras and granny panties hung on a length of rope to dry.That's why they season the food at Lackland with saltpeter.;)

Melo
1/17/2009, 08:16 AM
Were you Latrine Queen?;)

Hellll no. Our MTI goes, 'Who likes to bowl?' Im thinking, 'No way am I raising my hand!'

My detail was stairwell - A 10 minute, non- inspectable detail.

Wonder why they are blue?
Are they Trainers ?

Those were our MockM16's. They disassemble like a real M16, but are missing some key components of a real M16. Is what I was told. However, They do not disassemble like a real M16. It took me about 1:50or so to take the mock M16 apart and put it back together. When we to the range, and had to take it apart to clean it, the real M16 came apart in about 9 seconds. Im not sure why the huge difference.

yay Melo! Now, keep your head down and stay focused, be a DG from tech school, and hit that first assignment running. The great thing about Big Blue is, if you can dream it, you can do it. And it will give you back as much as you give it.

And don't forget that bachelors degree. Once you get settled in at your new assignment and achieve your five level, get started on finishing your degree. No sense in not doing so since its free. That way, you'll be all set when you decide to apply for commissioning.

Trust me - With the fiance in Iraq, and my tendancy to be a loner, I have nothing to do BUT take some classes. Ill do it as soon as I figure out which ones I should take.

I once observed a group of three airmen standing outside a female tent just staring with longing looks at a couple bras and granny panties hung on a length of rope to dry.

You are not even kidding.

We had no problems in BMT, but there are folks here in tech school getting in all kinds of trouble, getting married after 3 weeks of dating, etc. Its ridiculous.

First thing I did was throw my granny panties away. Ugh!

VeeJay
1/17/2009, 08:21 AM

Methinks Homey has embellished this memoir:

S/B: "I once stood with two fellow airmen outside a female tent just staring with longing looks at a couple of bras and granny panties hung on a length of rope to dry." :D

Flagstaffsooner
1/17/2009, 08:21 AM
Did you have the stamp thiny on them? M5412

I was chrome amd brass.

Flagstaffsooner
1/17/2009, 08:37 AM
BTW, were those panties grounded to inspection side?
ABQ will love this.

SoonerDood
1/17/2009, 08:40 AM
Awesome job Melo! I was wondering how the new 8 1/2 week BMT would be. How's Goodfellow been so far? You're starting your class exactly one year after I started mine. What bases did you put on your dream sheet?

Melo
1/17/2009, 08:41 AM
Did you have the stamp thiny on them? M5412

I was chrome amd brass.

Laundry marks dont go on undies! You have mesh bags, with the laundry mark on them, that you throw the undies into, and then it all gets washed in the bag.

ABQ will love this.

Grounded to the top and to the right. :D

I kicked some *** when it came to clothing drawers. I never once failed. How did they do tshirts when you were in? Did they fold them in the 6 inch squares? From what I understand, the rolling is new-er.

AlbqSooner
1/17/2009, 08:45 AM
ABQ will love this.

WHUT?:D
Congrats Melo. Intel is a great field in the USAF. Keep a good attitude and stick with it and you can retire in reasonable comfort at a reasonable age. That ain't very likely in the civilian sector.

captain_surly
1/17/2009, 08:46 AM
That is quite possibly the most inspirational post I have ever seen on this board. I realize that I'm a noob when it comes to post count but I was right here watching when you showed up with your bad self and I'm proud of where you are with your life.

Congratulations on your impending nuptials and my sincere gratitude for your service defending our freedom.

Flagstaffsooner
1/17/2009, 08:50 AM
Laundry marks dont go on undies! You have mesh bags, with the laundry mark on them, that you throw the undies into, and then it all gets washed in the bag.

Grounded to the top and to the right. :D

I kicked some *** when it came to clothing drawers. I never once failed. How did they do tshirts when you were in? Did they fold them in the 6 inch squares? From what I understand, the rolling is new-er.
We folded everything into 6" squares. And we called it the security drawer.

Were you in a RH&T?http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/1186951209_b7bc4d9a60.jpg?v=0

olevetonahill
1/17/2009, 09:12 AM
This was the Kinda Barracks we Had , I think some may still be standing . They were Built In the late 30s early 40s and Used for 3 wars Of training .
One Our Drill Sergent's Punishments was to Make us Low crawl under em :D

http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/memoirs/brummer_ross/mem_brummer_005_720x487.jpg

SteelCitySooner
1/17/2009, 09:15 AM
Congrats Melo! You look great in those pics....and what a great job! You'll love that career field. BTW my 19 year old son is stationed at the clinic at Goodfellow.. He doesn't think it's a bad place.

olevetonahill
1/17/2009, 09:18 AM
That is quite possibly the most inspirational post I have ever seen on this board. I realize that I'm a noob when it comes to post count but I was right here watching when you showed up with your bad self and I'm proud of where you are with your life.

Congratulations on your impending nuptials and my sincere gratitude for your service defending our freedom.

Yup , When she first came to the Board she was a Tad Mixed up . I grew very fond of her . Much Like a Granddaughter . And Like a Granpa . I shook my head in :confused: at some of her antics . Cheered Her on with Pride at some others.
I always Knew she would end up Making Great decisions .
Melo Im Proud Of you Baby .

afs
1/17/2009, 09:20 AM
Congrats on finishing BMT and welcome to the USAF. We'll see if I end up being your supervisor one of these days in the Intel world. One piece of advise for Goodfellow - to lighten your mood, when you're able to walk to and from class out of formation, find a group of the officer students and space yourselves out so they have continuously salute each individual and have the biggest ****-eating grin on your face when you do it.

afs
1/17/2009, 09:24 AM
We had no problems in BMT, but there are folks here in tech school getting in all kinds of trouble, getting married after 3 weeks of dating, etc. Its ridiculous.

They're only getting married so that they can move off base. You think people are getting trouble now, what until the end of Phase III (that's what it was 6 years ago) and especially when you get to your first assignment. It only gets worse.

Veritas
1/17/2009, 10:31 AM
****in A Melo. Thank you for the update and for your service. I don't know you, but I'm proud of you. :)

VeeJay
1/17/2009, 10:45 AM
http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/memoirs/brummer_ross/mem_brummer_005_720x487.jpg

OleVet - were you in charge of the landscaping and painting at that place?

olevetonahill
1/17/2009, 10:48 AM

OleVet - were you in charge of the landscaping and painting at that place?

Naw I was PLO :D

TUSooner
1/17/2009, 11:27 AM
Im 1N4, or Network Intelligence Assessment - basically, an intel analyst.
Sorry, but there's precious little for you to do here.

:rolleyes:

But seriously ...
Extreme congratulations and respect your way! Your attitude and accomplishments is awesome. Even your awesomeness is awesome.

Melo
1/17/2009, 12:02 PM
Awesome job Melo! I was wondering how the new 8 1/2 week BMT would be. How's Goodfellow been so far? You're starting your class exactly one year after I started mine. What bases did you put on your dream sheet?

Ive been asked a LOT about the new 8.5 BMT, and I will tell you exactly what I have told everyone else - Its freaking awesome! I had so much fun. It was BMT, and had its rough spots, times I wanted to come home, etc, but over-all, it was one of the best things Ive ever experienced.

Goodfellow is okay, too. They have actually implemented a new program that is only being tested here, which is the 'Transition Level' program. They no longer have the phase program.

On my dream sheet, stateside, I put Colorado, Langley, Ft Meade and Lackland. Overseas, I put Mildenhall, Menwith Hill, Kadena, Misawa, Ramstein and Kunia. Ive been told that the majority go to Ft Meade, though.

Curly Bill
1/17/2009, 12:14 PM
I spent three quality years in Misawa Japan. Do ya like snow? :D

Melo
1/17/2009, 12:14 PM
We folded everything into 6" squares. And we called it the security drawer.

Were you in a RH&T?http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/1186951209_b7bc4d9a60.jpg?v=0

We fold the shirts into 4ths, length ways, then tightly roll them, leaving both edges neat and... flush, I guess.

And yes, I stayed in one of those dorms. I was in the 324, but I cant remember what the name of the dorm was.

Congrats Melo! You look great in those pics....and what a great job! You'll love that career field. BTW my 19 year old son is stationed at the clinic at Goodfellow.. He doesn't think it's a bad place.

Thank you! I dont think its a bad place, either...

Yup , When she first came to the Board she was a Tad Mixed up . I grew very fond of her . Much Like a Granddaughter . And Like a Granpa . I shook my head in :confused: at some of her antics . Cheered Her on with Pride at some others.
I always Knew she would end up Making Great decisions .
Melo Im Proud Of you Baby .

When I first came to the board, I was 16 and still in HS. 5 years is a lot of growing up and figuring things out - I wouldnt change a single thing, had I the chance to go back.

Congrats on finishing BMT and welcome to the USAF. We'll see if I end up being your supervisor one of these days in the Intel world. One piece of advise for Goodfellow - to lighten your mood, when you're able to walk to and from class out of formation, find a group of the officer students and space yourselves out so they have continuously salute each individual and have the biggest ****-eating grin on your face when you do it.

Hey, supervisor is cool with me - one of the guys I worked with at the BEAST called me out at graduation, asking me where I was going to tech school. He introduced me to his mom. Who happened to be a Lt Col in the Intel field, teaching classes at OTS. Well, she hands me a paper with her email and tells me to keep in touch, because its all about who you know. If that is the case, then it doesnt hurt to know everyone.

soonerboomer93
1/17/2009, 01:01 PM
Congrats Melo

Getem
1/17/2009, 01:09 PM
Heh, those red tags reminded me of Gladiator
http://members.cox.net/gswood64/melo-glad.jpg

GottaHavePride
1/17/2009, 01:14 PM
Good for you, Melo. :)

Okla-homey
1/17/2009, 06:05 PM
Now, if we could only get Sic'em raised and out on his own, we could relax.

Melo
1/17/2009, 11:19 PM
Now, if we could only get Sic'em raised and out on his own, we could relax.

Wishful. Thinking.

olevetonahill
1/17/2009, 11:28 PM
Wishful. Thinking.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Flagstaffsooner
1/17/2009, 11:33 PM
We used to do that and 'frost' them in the chow hall.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/18/2009, 12:58 AM
Congrats, Melo! You look pretty tough!

OUTromBoNado
1/18/2009, 01:13 AM
That's awesome. I've always wished I could serve. Both grandparents and my father were in the Armed Forces, but medical reasons kept me out.

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 02:47 AM
That's awesome. I've always wished I could serve. Both grandparents and my father were in the Armed Forces, but medical reasons kept me out.

They didnt Do waivers huh ?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2009, 03:14 AM
Only for Hitler in the Bavarian Army

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 04:38 AM

WTF ?

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 04:44 AM

No DUDE .
The US Military WILL do a Medical Waiver.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2009, 04:45 AM
I am in Drunkytown and I was showing off my History Channel knowledge of Hitler getting a waiver to fight in the Bavarian Army during WW I

OUTromBoNado
1/18/2009, 11:59 AM
They didnt Do waivers huh ?

Not for epilepsy. I've only ever had two (last one was 11 years ago), but I was off medication both times. That's okay, I may not be in the military, but I've got a government job now, so I view that as my contribution to my country.

OU_PhD
1/18/2009, 12:13 PM
I was in the 320th at Lackland. Went on to Kadena, Mountain Home and Spangdahlem/Bitburg. I was just looking at the SMSgt promotion list and saw a guy from Moore, OK, that I knew when I was a young airman that made BTZ. Anyway, he had been in a couple of years longer than me but the damn fast burner just made E-8. Pretty awesome. One of my old bosses made it too. I was happy for them both.

I was 2W071.

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 02:42 PM
Not for epilepsy. I've only ever had two (last one was 11 years ago), but I was off medication both times. That's okay, I may not be in the military, but I've got a government job now, so I view that as my contribution to my country.

Thats cool .

TheHumanAlphabet
1/19/2009, 11:16 AM
Congrats Melo! Thanks for your service.
Now go learn that intelligence and find Bin Laden...perhaps he has succumbed to the plague...

AggieTool
1/19/2009, 12:47 PM
Meh, Navy chicks got more "meat on the bones".;)

SoonerStormchaser
1/26/2009, 06:21 PM
Melo,
Sorry bout the disappearing act...I took a mini-vacation (somewhat work-induced) after the MNC game.

Check your peem box.