PDA

View Full Version : John Gruden fired at Tampa Bay

OUinFLA
1/16/2009, 06:02 PM
also the GM Bruce Allen
just announced on Tampa news stations.

BoulderSooner79
1/16/2009, 06:07 PM
With all his star players passing on early NFL entry, Stoops wouldn't dare to even talk to Tampa, right ? :O

Sooner in Tampa
1/16/2009, 06:58 PM
dammit...

Jay C. Upchurch
1/16/2009, 07:14 PM
Perfect example of the uncertainty of NFL coaching....

Gruden led the Bucs to a Super Bowl title in Jan. 2003 and Tampa won two more division titles in 2005 and 2007, and now he's unemployed.

What would make Bob Stoops think things would be any different for him at that level? He wins a Super Bowl one year and a couple years later they're asking what have you done for us lately?

Zero chance Stoops leaves OU anytime soon.

batonrougesooner
1/16/2009, 07:33 PM
I agree. Where else in sports, business or anywhere can you have an essentially guaranteed multimillion dollar per year contract with near perfect job security?

Only way he leaves is if he simply decides one day he has enough money and just wants to give it a shot. The downside to that is that when the day of firing comes in the NFL (and it would) he wouldn't necessarily have the guarantee of finding another situation similar to what he has in Norman.

batonrougesooner
1/16/2009, 07:36 PM
I don't know how the NFL can lure the top coaches in college football anymore.

Gruden is the perfect example. Consider what Jay pointed out above. Pretty solid accomplishments for Tampa Bay and then to get thrown out on your *** after the first down season? I guess the NFL can just continue to recycle it's current coaches.

ArkanSooner
1/16/2009, 08:20 PM
Perfect example of the uncertainty of NFL coaching....

Gruden led the Bucs to a Super Bowl title in Jan. 2003 and Tampa won two more division titles in 2005 and 2007, and now he's unemployed.

What would make Bob Stoops think things would be any different for him at that level? He wins a Super Bowl one year and a couple years later they're asking what have you done for us lately?

Zero chance Stoops leaves OU anytime soon.

To be fair, that sometimes happens in college football, too.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/TommyTuberville.JPG

AlbqSooner
1/16/2009, 08:35 PM
Ranks right up there with Tampa letting John Lynch go. Owners with more money than sense. They are just filling out a tax return when they make moves like this. Players and team be damned.

goingoneight
1/16/2009, 09:17 PM
This is the equivalent of OU winning the MNC in 2000, taking division crowns in three of the next five years, but letting Stoops go in 2005 after 8-4.

It's retarded with a capital drool.

SoonerLB
1/16/2009, 09:52 PM
That's the NFL, rich egotistical owners making decisions that most other people would be fired for making.

oubose
1/16/2009, 10:05 PM
Coaching in the NFL doesn't look to promising for any team these days, no matter what you do. You sure want to go over your contract with a fine tooth comb, before you commit to anything.

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!

BudSooner
1/16/2009, 10:26 PM
To be honest it started with Gruden getting into it with Warren Sapp/Derrick Brooks, Sapp had enough and went to Oakland with thoughts of retirement.
Brooks just wants to end his career there, I can't blame the guy after all he started there why not finish it there? Sometimes loyalty can be a bitch especially if you have the living nightmare of having Gruden for a coach..he was a ****ing **********. At this point, who the hell does Tampa go after?
Cowher? nope, he's gonna sit out one more year.
Parcells? Uh, no...please.
As much as I hate the guy, Jimmy Johnson could fit in there, he could park his boat nearby, have the beaches but *******s for owners in the Glazers.
Pete Carroll? Oh please god no, please....anyone, hell give us Dave Campo before Pete please.

Teh pickens be deh slim right now.
But for now, I will rejoice in the notion that Chucky is gone...W00000000T!!!!!!

BudSooner
1/16/2009, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing...Chucky did win with Tony Dungy's guys.
Heh, bite it ya smug bastard. :D

TMcGee86
1/16/2009, 10:39 PM
ESPN says they have already hired the DC as their head coach.

I forget his name. But they said they had a plan in place before the firing.

Either way I wonder if the Tennessee boards are freaking out now and regretting the Kiffin hire.

Sooner in Tampa
1/16/2009, 10:41 PM
To be honest it started with Gruden getting into it with Warren Sapp/Derrick Brooks, Sapp had enough and went to Oakland with thoughts of retirement.
Brooks just wants to end his career there, I can't blame the guy after all he started there why not finish it there? Sometimes loyalty can be a bitch especially if you have the living nightmare of having Gruden for a coach..he was a ****ing **********. At this point, who the hell does Tampa go after?
Cowher? nope, he's gonna sit out one more year.
Parcells? Uh, no...please.
As much as I hate the guy, Jimmy Johnson could fit in there, he could park his boat nearby, have the beaches but *******s for owners in the Glazers.
Pete Carroll? Oh please god no, please....anyone, hell give us Dave Campo before Pete please.

Teh pickens be deh slim right now.
But for now, I will rejoice in the notion that Chucky is gone...W00000000T!!!!!!
You are ****ing kidding me right? Brooks was on the local radio and he was TORE UP...he blames the ADD fans and media...he LOVES Gruden and is extremely upset with this decision.

Warren Sapp is another huge fan of Chuckie...lets get the story right boys.

Scott D
1/16/2009, 10:41 PM
couldn't happen to a better *********.

OU-HSV
1/17/2009, 02:10 AM
ESPN says they have already hired the DC as their head coach.

I forget his name. But they said they had a plan in place before the firing.

Either way I wonder if the Tennessee boards are freaking out now and regretting the Kiffin hire.

Looks like Raheem Morris ??
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-7-102/Morris--Dominik-will-at-least-bring-a-plan-to-Bucs.html