PDA

View Full Version : U-Verse

texas bandman
1/16/2009, 03:52 PM
Anybody have ATT's U-Verse? What are the pros and cons? I'm tired of cable and having lived with fickle DISH reception at my prevous residence, I'm thinking of making the switch.

LosAngelesSooner
1/16/2009, 04:34 PM
I've got it. The Internet is fast and the cable is pretty reliable. Plus it's nice to have free Internet access at every Starbucks and to be able to record 4 programs at the same time.

texas bandman
1/16/2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks.. and aren't you able to access the DVR from any TV?

SoonerJack
1/17/2009, 01:23 PM
My in-laws have it and I'm kinda jealous. I've got time-warner, which is ok, but the dvr can only record two shows at a time and you have to watch them from the tv with the dvr. The U-verse interface is really good, but it's picture in picture isn't as good as TWs.

Getem
1/17/2009, 01:44 PM
Uverse's HD channels are only 6 mb and since they use the existing copper wire that's not likely to improve. Sticking with Cox for now...

StoopTroup
1/17/2009, 02:56 PM
Make sure you have plenty of patience. We have had some problems in our area and also with the equipment and installation of it all.

There are some advantages and they have been pretty good about addressing our problems and concerns. That's something that has kept us with them through the transition phase. Without that...I'd be back with them as my internet provider and cell phones only.

Another thing...if any of you have ever experienced the delays between say live Rabbit eared TV and satellite...then you know if you have one TV in one room and another in the other room....your gonna hear those folks cheer first when OU scores a TD. It's going to be that way with your Uverse TVs in the house once your hooked up. I'm not thrilled about it either. We have mentioned it to them and evidently it is a drawback which can't be fixed.

If anyone else doesn't have this problem as a UVerse Customer...I'd like to know.

BudSooner
1/17/2009, 09:46 PM
Make sure you have plenty of patience. We have had some problems in our area and also with the equipment and installation of it all.

There are some advantages and they have been pretty good about addressing our problems and concerns. That's something that has kept us with them through the transition phase. Without that...I'd be back with them as my internet provider and cell phones only.

Another thing...if any of you have ever experienced the delays between say live Rabbit eared TV and satellite...then you know if you have one TV in one room and another in the other room....your gonna hear those folks cheer first when OU scores a TD. It's going to be that way with your Uverse TVs in the house once your hooked up. I'm not thrilled about it either. We have mentioned it to them and evidently it is a drawback which can't be fixed.

If anyone else doesn't have this problem as a UVerse Customer...I'd like to know.
I believe what you are referring to is digital error correction, the digital boxes compensate for any possible errors by slowing down the broadcast(fractions of a second)and make adjustments to keep the picture fluid as possible. We can see how many errors occur on our digital boxes in customers homes...it's kinda handy since it will show you how badly fubarred the customers experience has been, ours will show up to a two week history.
I don't like that, but again as you said there is no way around it at this point.
My problem is just from what i've heard from our customers about the experience, some of the techs are old cable tv techs...UVerse isn't installed by traditional phone techs, they are video techs only(this from a Uverse tech himself)and sometimes you may see 1-2-3 or more techs at a job depending on the size of the job.
I've heard that they will not wallfish cat5 cable, isn't that what is used to connect the modem to the various digital boxes? That it acts like a network hub as sorts?

I'm just one of those who believe that it takes a few years for something new to get the bugs worked out before it really takes off.

SeattleOUstudent
1/18/2009, 01:49 AM
pros? all the freaking HD channels. No contract. Something like $250 just for staying with them more than 30 days.

Cons? Eh, not really. So glad they arent TW, though!

bluedogok
1/18/2009, 02:13 PM
I had the same delay problem between my Directv SD box in another room and the DVR's, the DVR's also seem to lag a little because they are streaming the video onto a hard drive, seemed to be the case with both the SD or HD-DVR's. I noticed it when talking to my dad on the phone. now that they have the OKC Cox HD-DVR we are pretty close to watching the game at the same time as my Directv HD-DVR.

GrapevineSooner
1/18/2009, 05:25 PM
I've heard that they will not wallfish cat5 cable, isn't that what is used to connect the modem to the various digital boxes? That it acts like a network hub as sorts?

Nope. And that's for liability issues in all probability.

However, you don't need Cat 5 to connect from the outside to be wired to the Residential Gateway. It can be Coax or Cat 5 wired to the room where you want the Residential Gateway to be.

BudSooner
1/19/2009, 10:23 AM
Nope. And that's for liability issues in all probability.

However, you don't need Cat 5 to connect from the outside to be wired to the Residential Gateway. It can be Coax or Cat 5 wired to the room where you want the Residential Gateway to be.

Ok, I thought the modem/EMTA acted as a central node from which all of the dvrs got signal from. Makes sense, we don't wallfish cat5 cable either.

Wait, residential gateway, you mean the dvr? Heh, it's so much easier to call it a dvr/hd box...etc.