PDA

View Full Version : Calling out current OU students!!

SPuL
1/16/2009, 02:32 PM
I made thread before about colleges, and I don't think anyone who currently goes to Oklahoma responded. But I ask this now because I've been doing a lot of thinking, research and now I'm 50-60% sure I want to transfer to Oklahoma. The next step would obviously (sammy B!) be to visit the campus and look around.

So I'm wondering if anyone who currently attends the university would be soo kind enough to help a fellow Sooner fan get a tour of the campus? :D

But yea, I'd appreciate it. It'd be sometime from now to Summer. Don't know. I'd probably try to come down during an Oklahoma home basketball game, so I can get a feel of how the games are too.

but yea, if anyone's down. Lemme know! :cool:

SPuL
1/16/2009, 05:58 PM
anybodyyyyy

Viking Kitten
1/16/2009, 06:10 PM
Yea.

Or Nay. Whatever.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2009, 06:11 PM
anybodyyyyy

If you're willing to drop the whole idea of going to OU and transfer to Baylor instead then I'd be more than happy to show you around campus.

SPuL
1/16/2009, 06:27 PM
lol Baylor is a good school academics wise. But I just can't convince myself on the whole living in Texas part lol

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2009, 06:47 PM
lol Baylor is a good school academics wise. But I just can't convince myself on the whole living in Texas part lol

Waco is more like Somalia than Texas. Who wouldn't want to live in Somalia?

Okla-homey
1/16/2009, 08:02 PM
I made thread before about colleges, and I don't think anyone who currently goes to Oklahoma responded. But I ask this now because I've been doing a lot of thinking, research and now I'm 50-60% sure I want to transfer to Oklahoma. The next step would obviously (sammy B!) be to visit the campus and look around.

So I'm wondering if anyone who currently attends the university would be soo kind enough to help a fellow Sooner fan get a tour of the campus? :D

But yea, I'd appreciate it. It'd be sometime from now to Summer. Don't know. I'd probably try to come down during an Oklahoma home basketball game, so I can get a feel of how the games are too.

but yea, if anyone's down. Lemme know! :cool:

Look dillweed. Mapquest N-O-R-M-A-N, O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A and come on out. WTF do you think you need a personally guided tour and a free t-shirt and OU bookbag in order to make up your mind? It's a large public university campus in the heart of the Reddest of Red States. Lots of students. Great sports. What more do you need? A cookie? Are you Special Ed up there or something? Sheesh.

King Crimson
1/16/2009, 08:18 PM
i'm just going way out on a limb here, but i bet the admissions office has tours of the campus.

Vaevictis
1/16/2009, 08:19 PM
It does. You see them all the time.

"This over here is the statue of Carl Albert. And that's the Student Union. And that over there is the Nuclear Laboratory, where nothing nuclear actually happens anymore. And that's the Electronics Lab, where there aren't any electronics labs anymore. And that's the Law Building. And, in keeping with the pattern, no, law isn't taught there anymore. That there is the building where architecture is taught. Yes, it's hideous. Ironic, no?"

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2009, 08:36 PM
In Spul's defense, you can learn a lot of things about the campus and community from an average student that you might not learn from an official tour.

SPuL
1/16/2009, 08:45 PM
Look dillweed. Mapquest N-O-R-M-A-N, O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A and come on out. WTF do you think you need a personally guided tour and a free t-shirt and OU bookbag in order to make up your mind? It's a large public university campus in the heart of the Reddest of Red States. Lots of students. Great sports. What more do you need? A cookie? Are you Special Ed up there or something? Sheesh.

Whoa there, buddy. Don't take your bad day out on me. Take a step back from the monitor. Take a deep breath. And breathe out. Feel better?

In Spul's defense, you can learn a lot of things about the campus and community from an average student that you might not learn from an official tour.

Exactly. I remember on the tour they gave me here, they tell you the basic stuff. Like cafeteria is here, library is here, gym is here, blah blah blah. It gave the basic stuff. But from playing sports I became friends with some of the upperclassmen. Through them I was able to find out a lot more about the campus then some tour. Found out about some nice chill spots and areas to study, short cuts to get from one building to another. Then a lot of tips and tricks on parking, best places to eat, etc. Things that aren't on the tour.

Even OU knows that, hence why they have those videos on their site with underclassmen trying to give you a feel. But there's only so much you can learn from a 10 min video.

If someone wouldn't mind, great. But if you don't want too, cool. But please keep the PMSing aimed away from me. Thanks.

Viking Kitten
1/16/2009, 08:46 PM
"Here on the south side of the Bizzell Library is the Bizzell statue. From the rear view, his hood totally looks like a vagina. On the northwest side of campus is the Fred Jones Art Museum, featuring a kind of pony thing with light up demon eyes. Look to the southeast, where you will see the bursar's office, where you will be assraped each spring by the Oklahoma Legislature."

King Crimson
1/16/2009, 08:48 PM

that's true. the tours at CU and DU are really moronic. "this is the library...and they have like all the books ever there....".

SPuL
1/16/2009, 08:54 PM
"Here on the south side of the Bizzell Library is the Bizzell statue. From the rear view, his hood totally looks like a vagina. On the northwest side of campus is the Fred Jones Art Museum, featuring a kind of pony thing with light up demon eyes. Look to the southeast, where you will see the bursar's office, where you will be assraped each spring by the Oklahoma Legislature."

lol on my campus they actually have a really ugly statue of 2 alligators. stupid thing..

King Crimson
1/16/2009, 08:56 PM
i kind of like the demon pony.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2009, 08:56 PM
that's true. the tours at CU and DU are really moronic. "this is the library...and they have like all the books ever there....".

I've never been on our official tour, but the word I've heard most often to describe it is "hokey."

I met an ADPi sophomore at summer registration prior to my fish year that did a great job at showing me around campus.

Penguin
1/16/2009, 09:15 PM
For an extra $20, they show you where to find some hookers. For another $50, they show you the best place to bury them. Well worth the money, if you ask me.

tommieharris91
1/16/2009, 09:27 PM
http://www.ou.edu/go2/audience_nav/transfer_students.html

Try this yet?

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2009, 09:45 PM

That over there is the South Oval. That big thing with flowers is the passion pit. I totally nailed a chick there.

That over there is the Blender. I can't remember what it's actually called. However, if you pledge a house on South Greek, you're pretty much going to have all your classes there. If you pledge a house on North Greek, forget that it exists, you'll never have a class there. I totally nailed a chick here, though.

Over there is the stadium. They play football there.

Here's the Energy Center. If you pledge a house on North Greek, plan on spending a lot of time here.

SPuL
1/16/2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.ou.edu/go2/audience_nav/transfer_students.html

Try this yet?

yeaa, I saw the videos too. But what I'm saying is first hand experience trumps what you see or read online lol

OUsooner1
1/16/2009, 10:30 PM
if you're 21 i'll give ya a tour of campus corner. :D

SPuL
1/16/2009, 11:41 PM
^lol 21 in july :(

Got a fake ID tho :cool:

soonerhubs
1/16/2009, 11:59 PM
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but SPuL what is your major?

SPuL
1/17/2009, 12:04 AM
English as my major and Creative writing as my minor. I love writing so it works beautifully!

No tests, just essays :cool:

tommieharris91
1/17/2009, 12:14 AM
yeaa, I saw the videos too. But what I'm saying is first hand experience trumps what you see or read online lol

I used to know some people that were tour guides. A few of em would give the tours just like Froze did.

As fer signin you up for one, I can't help ya.

SPuL
1/17/2009, 12:25 AM
I actually added one of those kids who had a video on the main OU page. I added him on facebook. Talked to him a few times. Would hit him up for this but he seems too much like a crackhead. lol

Vaevictis
1/17/2009, 02:55 AM
"Over there is Price Hall. If you like swank surroundings, business is your major. Brand new buildings, projectors, wireless internet, power outlets at your seat, reservable conference rooms, laptops you can check out...

Oh, what's that you say? English major? I'm so sorry. You're more likely to be in Gittenger, which is more like a 40 year old inner city high school. Enjoy!

No seriously, it could be worse. At least you won't be an electrical engineer where the male:female ratio is at best 8:1."

OUsooner1
1/17/2009, 05:54 AM
just pick a month and day

http://www.ouevents.com/

and if you decide to come once you're 21 shoot me a PM

SPuL
1/17/2009, 12:58 PM
yea, I'd prolly do one of them tours too anyways for the heck of it.

LilSooner
1/17/2009, 01:02 PM
That over there is the South Oval. That big thing with flowers is the passion pit. I totally nailed a chick there.

That over there is the Blender. I can't remember what it's actually called. However, if you pledge a house on South Greek, you're pretty much going to have all your classes there. If you pledge a house on North Greek, forget that it exists, you'll never have a class there. I totally nailed a chick here, though.

Over there is the stadium. They play football there.

Here's the Energy Center. If you pledge a house on North Greek, plan on spending a lot of time here.

Truer words have never been spoken

SPuL
1/17/2009, 04:34 PM
lol I could prolly learn more from this thread thn one of those tours

proud gonzo
1/17/2009, 08:43 PM
Whoa there, buddy. Don't take your bad day out on me. Take a step back from the monitor. Take a deep breath. And breathe out. Feel better?

Exactly. I remember on the tour they gave me here, they tell you the basic stuff. Like cafeteria is here, library is here, gym is here, blah blah blah. It gave the basic stuff. But from playing sports I became friends with some of the upperclassmen. Through them I was able to find out a lot more about the campus then some tour. Found out about some nice chill spots and areas to study, short cuts to get from one building to another. Then a lot of tips and tricks on parking, best places to eat, etc. Things that aren't on the tour.

Even OU knows that, hence why they have those videos on their site with underclassmen trying to give you a feel. But there's only so much you can learn from a 10 min video.

If someone wouldn't mind, great. But if you don't want too, cool. But please keep the PMSing aimed away from me. Thanks.
i currently go to OU, but i'm not volunteering to give you a tour because you were a whinybitch at Homey. Do you feel more informed now?

olevetonahill
1/17/2009, 09:36 PM
In Defense Of this Kid , You Know Homey still comes across as the Colonel . Dont you?
Flag and I were Talking On the Phone this Morning LOL at How Hard he comes down on some of these Kids .:D
I betcha Young SPuL can just Feel the Okie Love Headin his way .:P

Partial Qualifier
1/17/2009, 10:21 PM
i currently go to OU, but i'm not volunteering to give you a tour because you were a whinybitch at Homey. Do you feel more informed now?

Actually: Homey started the 'whiney bitch' nonsense, not that it matters. Sheesh, people.

The state this forum's in nowadays makes me sad. :(

SPuL
1/18/2009, 01:24 AM
^Exactly. But yea, my first impression of this forum was that it was a bunch of cool Sooner fans who seemed pretty helpful. So I figured I'd ask for some help. I don't know if it's the weather, remnants of the loss still hanging over their heads, etc. But I guess that only applies to some. Was just a simple question really. Sorry if I offended anyone. ~_~

Oh, and telling somebody who attacks you for no reason to calm down is considered being a "whineybitch"? Gotcha.

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2009, 01:29 AM

****, if I went to OU then I'd buy the kid lunch and a beer because of that.

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 01:49 AM
^Exactly. But yea, my first impression of this forum was that it was a bunch of cool Sooner fans who seemed pretty helpful. So I figured I'd ask for some help. I don't know if it's the weather, remnants of the loss still hanging over their heads, etc. But I guess that only applies to some. Was just a simple question really. Sorry if I offended anyone. ~_~

Oh, and telling somebody who attacks you for no reason to calm down is considered being a "whineybitch"? Gotcha.

Come On down . Pick me Up we go up there . I will Find you some one to walk around wit you. While I sit and Drank Beer and OVJ .:D :D :D :D :D

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 01:52 AM
Oh SPuL , Homey wasnt attackin Ya .
If he had been , he would have Called in an Air strike :eek:

OklahomaTuba
1/18/2009, 01:58 AM
English Major huh?

Don't expect to make more than 30K a year. Ever.

Do yourself a huge favor and just get a marketing degree. YWIA.

SPuL
1/18/2009, 02:13 AM
****, if I went to OU then I'd buy the kid lunch and a beer because of that.

Thanks man. After reading this thread you almost got me thinking Baylor kids got their heads on straighter than OU kids. ALMOST. LOL

Come On down . Pick me Up we go up there . I will Find you some one to walk around wit you. While I sit and Drank Beer and OVJ .:D :D :D :D :D

lol sarcasm? oh and LOL @ Air strike. Reminds me of COD 4. 5 kill streak!

But yea, noticed a lot of posters on here are in the air force, army, marines, etc. Much respect to them.

English Major huh?

Don't expect to make more than 30K a year. Ever.

Do yourself a huge favor and just get a marketing degree. YWIA.

Yea, man. I get what you're saying. But I plan on getting my PhD in either english or journalism. I'm keeping my grades up, doing extra curricular work, doing co-ops, so I can get into either Stanford, Columbia, or Harvard. Will be tough, but everything worth it is.

But I've read a lot about it, and getting a masters or further in Journalism, entry level pay is around 60-90,000 as a editor at a newspaper.

But I'm also minoring in creative writing, so the English gives me good solid foundation on that too. Right now I'm currently researching and working on a TV screenplay. I write short stories from time to time. Then also write for paper. And I also record my own music.

so I figure doing all that, I can make decent amount of money here and there. Throw that all together and should get me enough to provide a good life for me and my family. lol That is what I hope at least :D

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 02:51 AM
Im serious . I drink Beer and OVJ we find you a Guide
then you Bring My drunk *** home .;)
NO Sarcasm .

SPuL
1/18/2009, 02:54 AM
Who's OVJ?

but LOL sounds like a plan man. Sounds like a plan

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2009, 04:23 AM
Who's OVJ?

but LOL sounds like a plan man. Sounds like a plan

OVJ= Ole Vet Juice = bathtub gin

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 04:48 AM
OVJ= Ole Vet Juice = bathtub gin

110 proof Sour Mash
**** the BT gin .;)

SPuL
1/18/2009, 07:03 AM
lol no clue what either of those are. Never drank a drop of acohol in my life. Tim Tebow would be proud. :cool:

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 07:22 AM
lol no clue what either of those are. Never drank a drop of acohol in my life. The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah would be proud. :cool:

Well hell , Long as you the DD Im good .;)

BudSooner
1/18/2009, 10:01 AM
Oshi...........

I have a feeling if the meeting between Vet and his new buddy happen....some youngster is going to be hanging pantless upside down in the studen union. :D

Fer realz. :D

SPuL
1/18/2009, 02:32 PM
^loool

But yea, I really need to get there soon so I can make decision.

What about around the campus? Good apartments? I hate dorming. I'd party in them. Live in them, hell no. Study or sleeping becomes a problem sometimes lol

As long as they got good apartments and market and all the usual stores for everyday needs, we'll be all set. ~_~

Fraggle145
1/18/2009, 04:14 PM

You gotta be 21, but then hit me up. I know a few peeps in the recruitment office. If I'm not down at the Biostation I'll show ya around. I've been a student at OU for my undergrad and about three years of grad school so I may be a little too old balls, but I still know my way around town.

Fraggle145
1/18/2009, 04:15 PM
lol no clue what either of those are. Never drank a drop of acohol in my life. The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah would be proud. :cool:

Heh, and you want to break in your liver with the vet? you are a brave soul.

BudSooner
1/18/2009, 04:34 PM
Read him his last rites while we still have the chance. :D

SPuL
1/18/2009, 07:17 PM
You gotta be 21, but then hit me up. I know a few peeps in the recruitment office. If I'm not down at the Biostation I'll show ya around. I've been a student at OU for my undergrad and about three years of grad school so I may be a little too old balls, but I still know my way around town.

You saying that to me or Olevet?

But nahh I don't plan on drinking. haha It's a lie to say I never had drop, but I've tried beer, and I just don't get how people can enjoy it. It tastes so horrible lol. Only time I might drink is at an open bar. My cousin had one for her wedding, had about 5 cocktails. 3 Long island iced teas, and 2 Killer Kool-aids. Were pretty good. Gave me good buzz and felt awesome rest of party lol

Probably light stuff for y'all, but like I said not a big drinker. :cool:

Okla-homey
1/18/2009, 07:19 PM

But nahh I don't plan on drinking. haha It's a lie to say I never had drop, but I've tried beer, and I just don't get how people can enjoy it. It tastes so horrible lol.

Boston huh? You obviously aren't Irish. ;)

olevetonahill
1/18/2009, 07:28 PM
Boston huh? You obviously aren't Irish. ;)

He aint Posse material either :eek:

SPuL
1/18/2009, 07:36 PM
Hey, every posse needs a DD right? ~_~

Viking Kitten
1/18/2009, 08:59 PM

But nahh I don't plan on drinking. haha It's a lie to say I never had drop, but I've tried beer, and I just don't get how people can enjoy it. It tastes so horrible lol. Only time I might drink is at an open bar. My cousin had one for her wedding, had about 5 cocktails. 3 Long island iced teas, and 2 Killer Kool-aids. Were pretty good. Gave me good buzz and felt awesome rest of party lol

Probably light stuff for y'all, but like I said not a big drinker. :cool:

Good luck with that whole "I'll probably make $70,000 a year right out of college as a newspaper editor" thing, by the way.

SPuL
1/18/2009, 10:18 PM
Good luck with that whole "I'll probably make $70,000 a year right out of college as a newspaper editor" thing, by the way.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Science_(MS),_Journalism_(MSJ)/Salary/by_School

Unless I'm misreading something. Plus, I believe that is a masters. I plan on going further in my graduate studies to a PhD. I don't know if it will even be journalism, but that is the plan as of now.

SPuL
1/18/2009, 10:59 PM
But anyways man, I don't plan that to be my only source of income. I like to think I'ma creative guy. But I hope I can make some money off my music, short stories, and screenplays. I got a ton. But also I plan on writing a sports novel about being an intense sports fan witnessing all those heartwrenching losses then finally witnessing your team win it all for the first time. I was hoping I could start it after last week, wrote a quick article before the game that could serve as a before/after type of thing, but.... :(

Viking Kitten
1/18/2009, 11:15 PM
Let me put it another way. Do you think someone who writes the sentence, "But nahh I don't plan on drinking. haha It's a lie to say I never had drop,..." will make $70,000 a year his first year out of college as a newspaper editor? Never mind the fact that newspaper people are getting laid off faster than you can say "spell check"?

Not that I think journalism isn't a noble calling. Just don't expect it to be a moneymaking enterprise. I would also suggest you consider ALL the writing you do, including message board posting, to be "practice." Develop good habits now, because professional journalists are Nazis about that type of thing.

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2009, 11:19 PM
Take VK's advice and be a Poli Sci/History major like me. You'll never ever have to worry about making money.

SPuL
1/18/2009, 11:55 PM
Let me put it another way. Do you think someone who writes the sentence, "But nahh I don't plan on drinking. haha It's a lie to say I never had drop,..." will make $70,000 a year his first year out of college as a newspaper editor? Never mind the fact that newspaper people are getting laid off faster than you can say "spell check"?

Not that I think journalism isn't a noble calling. Just don't expect it to be a moneymaking enterprise. I would also suggest you consider ALL the writing you do, including message board posting, to be "practice." Develop good habits now, because professional journalists are Nazis about that type of thing.

Lol judging my use of grammar by message board posts? lol I can see what you're saying by using all forms of writing as practice, but I do enough writing where a little posting on a message board shouldn't throw me off course.

And as for the newspaper business, I agree. My hope is that i can achieve a columnist position similar to what Rick Reilly or Bill Simmons have. Bill Simmons racks in little over $500,000 for what he does. Currently for my sports newspaper I do a lot of opinion pieces. So that'd be the ideal position.
Yes, it'll be tough. But I'm gonna give it my all to achieve those goals.

And as far as money making enterprise, I agree with you. But like I said earlier, I'll be doing a lot of other forms of writing and my music on the side as well. I already make a little here and there with music, and hopefully I can get some of my other creative writing works to pick up.

It'll be tough, but just because the odds are against me, I'm not going to give up man.

Viking Kitten
1/18/2009, 11:58 PM
As I said, good luck amigo.

Frozen Sooner
1/19/2009, 12:14 AM
As another stylistic tip, you might want to consider dropping the "lol" you seem to be unable to go more than three sentences without.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2009, 12:34 AM
This is a tough crowd!

007sooner
1/19/2009, 12:37 AM
^loool

But yea, I really need to get there soon so I can make decision.

What about around the campus? Good apartments? I hate dorming. I'd party in them. Live in them, hell no. Study or sleeping becomes a problem sometimes lol

As long as they got good apartments and market and all the usual stores for everyday needs, we'll be all set. ~_~

I was either an RA or involved in the housing center student association stuff for all 4 years I was at OU. lived in couch then walker then cate (def. my fav). don't knock our dorms, they may look ugly but they're closer to campus than anything else (except some of the greek houses, gag sputter gag) and they're cheap and frickin awesome if you cant cook. i loved em. the apts around campus all sucked, you had to pretty far to get to any of the good ones... of course now there's traditions but i never got to see whether those were any good or not.

SPuL
1/19/2009, 01:20 AM
Nah, man. I wasn't knocking the OU dorms. I'm just speaking about dorm life in general from my experience. I found the noise to be annoying and it was pretty tough to study or sleep.

As another stylistic tip, you might want to consider dropping the "lol" you seem to be unable to go more than three sentences without.
LOLzie! first they knock the english major, now everybody seems to be an english major around here. Amazing!!

Almost forgot... LOLOL

This is a tough crowd!

Whatever floats their boat man. They can nit pick how I type on a message board all day long. Only provides me with more material to "LOL" at! :D

Partial Qualifier
1/19/2009, 01:37 PM
Seriously, SP: a heavily-stylized message board persona is the key to your future success. :rolleyes:

In case you haven't figured it out yet: few current OU students frequent this forum. I politely recommend you look elsewhere for insight.

SPuL
1/19/2009, 05:48 PM
Seriously, SP: a heavily-stylized message board persona is the key to your future success. :rolleyes:

In case you haven't figured it out yet: few current OU students frequent this forum. I politely recommend you look elsewhere for insight.
haha I know right?

And yea, man. I've figured that out. Seems to be a lot of older Sooner fans on this forum.

olevetonahill
1/19/2009, 05:54 PM
haha I know right?

And yea, man. I've figured that out. Seems to be a lot of older Sooner fans on this forum.

Easy on the OLD **** .;)

SPuL
1/19/2009, 09:19 PM
haha never said it like it was a bad thing. I'm actually counting down the days till I'm 80 in anticipation. Only 60 more years! :D

fadada1
1/19/2009, 10:26 PM
just go. if i could get away with it, i'd go back in a second. but, i don't think my wife would allow me to go back as a freshman.

i took a 5 1/2 year break from OU to go to the navy. when my time was up, there was never any doubt i was heading back to OU. i'm never more proud than when i tell people i graduated from OU.

GO!!!!

tommieharris91
1/19/2009, 10:50 PM
SPuL, try the Reserve, the Commons, University Greens, and (if you really wanna spend money and live around rich chicks) Crimson Park. Those are complexes in Norman where a lot of students live.

SPuL
1/19/2009, 11:53 PM
^thanks man. Appreciate that. I like apartment living too. Be able to cook for yourself, have your own bathroom, nice quiet, etc. Best part about dorms is dropping in on those parties, and it's not like I can't do that if I live close by.