PDA

View Full Version : The circuit is closed!!

Whet
1/16/2009, 12:50 PM
Circuit City to liquidate remaining US stores

Bankrupt Circuit City Stores Inc., the nation's second-biggest consumer electronics retailer, said Friday it failed to find a buyer and will liquidate its 567 U.S. stores. The closures could send another 30,000 people into the ranks of the unemployed. "This is the only possible path for our company," James A. Marcum, acting chief executive, said in a statement. "We are extremely disappointed by this outcome."
The company had been seeking a buyer or a deal to refinance its debt, but the hobbled credit market and consumer worries proved insurmountable.
The liquidation of Circuit City is the latest fallout from the worst holiday shopping season in four decases. People have slashed their spending since the financial meltdown in September as they worry about their job security and declining retirement funds.
Other recent casualties include KB Toys, which filed for bankruptcy in December and is liquidating stores. Department store chains Goody's Family Clothing and Gottschalks Inc. both filed for bankruptcy this week—Goody's plans to liquidate, while Gottschalks hopes to reorganize.
Industry experts expect more bad news in the coming months as spending likely will deteriorate further.
Circuit City said in court papers it has appointed Great American Group LLC, Hudson Capital Partners LLC, SB Capital Group LLC and Tiger Capital Group LLC as liquidators.
"Regrettably for the more than 30,000 employees of Circuit City and our loyal customers, we were unable to reach an agreement with our creditors and lenders," Marcum said.
Shareholders are likely to receive nothing, as is typical in bankruptcy cases. It was unclear what would happen to the company's 765 retail stores and dealer outlets in Canada.
"Very, very sad," said Alan L. Wurtzel, the son of company founder Samuel S. Wurtzel, and the chief executive from 1972 to 1986, board chairman from 1986 to 1994 and vice chairman until 2001. "I feel particularly badly for the people are employed or until recently were employed."
Wurtzel has previously said Circuit City didn't take the threat of rival Best Buy Co. seriously enough and, at some points, were too focused on making a profit in the short term instead of building long-term value.
Circuit City filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in November as vendors started to restrict the flow of merchandise ahead of the busy holiday shopping season.
It had been exploring strategic alternatives since May, when it opened its books to Blockbuster Inc. The Dallas-based movie-rental chain made a takeover bid of more than $1 billion with plans to create a 9,300-store chain to sell electronic gadgets and rent movies and games. Blockbuster withdrew the bid in July because of market conditions.
Circuit City, which said it had $3.4 billion in assets and $2.32 billion in liabilities as of Aug. 31, said in its initial filings that it planned to emerge from court protection in the first half of this year.
Under court protection, Circuit City has broken 150 leases at locations where it no longer operates stores. The company already closed 155 stores in the U.S. in November and December.
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Huennekens had given the company permission to liquidate if a buyout was not achieved. The company still needs final approval of a liquidation from the court.
The liquidation is the latest big blow to the nation's malls, which have suffered from a rise in vacancies as a slew of chains from Mervyns LLC to Linens 'N Things have liquidated. But analysts say that the demise of Circuit City, whose stores range in size from 20,000 to 25,000 square feet, will hurt the fortunes of mall operators even more.
"It will bring to market a glut of big box spaces across the country," said John Bemis, head of Jones Lang LaSalle Inc.'s retail leasing team. "It will have one of the largest impacts on big box real estate across the country."
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D95OBUM00&show_article=1&catnum=0

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 12:57 PM
DAMN DAMN DAMN!

1890MilesToNorman
1/16/2009, 01:00 PM
Ya think if I had bought the extended warranty on my laptop 4 months ago it might have helped?

soonerboomer93
1/16/2009, 01:02 PM
crap, wonder if I should go check out their sales

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 01:08 PM
crap, wonder if I should go check out their sales

I went to a couple of the stores liquidation sales that were shut down earlier....Mostly 15 to 25 percent off..if it was already on sale though, it kinda paid off as they added the extra 15 to 25 to that percentage..

I bought a HTIB that was regular 599 for 399 but it was marked down to 450 before I bought it

King Crimson
1/16/2009, 01:13 PM
that's weird, OfficeMax went down not too long ago as well. internet sales?

too many out of the box laptops with 1g memory and Vista?

i scored some deece bargains when OMax was closing out...40$ Vaio laptop sleeve for 15$, Western Dig 500g internal hard drive for about 40% off.

edit: should say CompUSA instead of OMax.

IBleedCrimson
1/16/2009, 02:24 PM
i worked for the circuit city in norman for a while as an inhome installer. worst management of any job ive ever had.

yermom
1/16/2009, 03:28 PM
i got some pretty sweet deals from the Norman store as it was closing

they are trying to screw the people that hung around during the liquidation though. bastards

if i was working at one of the closing ones, i'd just leave now. you may not get your last check

DBrown
1/16/2009, 04:14 PM
where "service is state of the art" indeed.

OUHOMER
1/16/2009, 06:58 PM
Umm, I have a bunch of ( lets say consumer electronics) coming in for the CC distribution center ardmore..... I wonder if they have me hold them like they did when they filed bankruptcy.

Jerk
1/16/2009, 07:07 PM
A couple of years ago they fired their commissioned salesmen and replaced them with low wage hourly employees. I guess that didn't work out. Some dumbarse with an MBA probably made that decision and now he's also out of a job.

Penguin
1/16/2009, 07:26 PM
You think I can get an iPod for $5?

soonerboomer93
1/16/2009, 09:13 PM
they have this one up here in the woodlands. I went to it in early december and it was basically empty. It doesn't help them that you can't see it from the main road, and they only have a small sign on the mall loop though.

bluedogok
1/16/2009, 10:23 PM
i worked for the circuit city in norman for a while as an inhome installer. worst management of any job ive ever had.
That seems to be a common thread in most of these closures....

A couple of years ago they fired their commissioned salesmen and replaced them with low wage hourly employees. I guess that didn't work out. Some dumbarse with an MBA probably made that decision and now he's also out of a job.
Nah...most of them leave for a higher paying job somewhere else That way they don't have to hang around for the repercussions of their failed management. They leave it to others to suffer through.

Hot Rod
1/17/2009, 11:54 AM
I tried to help out last year by seeing if they would price match an item. Oh well.