PDA

View Full Version : 80GB or 160GB PS3?

achiro
1/16/2009, 08:41 AM
80 seems like way more than enough? How much memory are you guys actually using on your PS3?

Lott's Bandana
1/16/2009, 08:44 AM
I have a 40GB....had it about 2 months now. With the ability to download movies, TV shows and games from the PS3 store, plus play all my mp3's I have already determined my Jimmy Stevens needs to grow into a Loadholt.

Go big as you can.

achiro
1/16/2009, 08:47 AM
I have a 40GB....had it about 2 months now. With the ability to download movies, TV shows and games from the PS3 store, plus play all my mp3's I have already determined my Jimmy Stevens needs to grow into a Loadholt.

Go big as you can.

Do they charge for those tv shows and movies? I already have a 160 GB xbox 360 with that option so unless it's free I figure I could just do it on the 360?

Lott's Bandana
1/16/2009, 09:00 AM
Yes...

Most entire movies to own are $14.99, rentals $2.99.

Games are all ranges of prices, most $9.99.

I've been thinking that the system gets an iTunes compatible package will take a big leap ahead, and also require some significant drivage.

OUDoc
1/16/2009, 09:17 AM
I got a 40gb and changed out the HDD myself for a 120gb. It's currently about 1/2 full. If you have the means, I'd always get the bigger HDD. You might not need it, but it won't hurt to have the extra space.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 09:24 AM
I've got a 40...Anything special need to be done to change it doc?

OUDoc
1/16/2009, 09:43 AM
I've got a 40...Anything special need to be done to change it doc?

No (other than backing up your game data, I just started over on all my games/downloads), it's the easiest swap ever.

Apparently we lost my thread from a few years ago, but here's a video showing how to do it. It took less than 5 minutes.

-B1mQ21XXLE

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 10:07 AM
The misses really surprised me at Christmas with the 80. Since I have not hooked it up to the innerwebs yet, it seems plenty big. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 10:14 AM
I wonder what the max is it can handle...I've got a 240 sitting here looking at me

OUDoc
1/16/2009, 10:14 AM
The misses really surprised me at Christmas with the 80. Since I have not hooked it up to the innerwebs yet, it seems plenty big. ;)

Are you Amish or something?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 10:33 AM
Are you Amish or something?

I'm tired of asking him myself....he's got a great online game and he doesn't have innerweb hooked up to it...thats like peanut butter no jelly

achiro
1/16/2009, 10:34 AM
Can you use an external memory for it through the USB?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 10:34 AM
ham no burger

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 10:38 AM
Can you use an external memory for it through the USB?

yes

how to (http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-External-Hard-Drive-to-a-PlayStation-3)

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 10:42 AM
I am considering changing over to uverse and will wait until the house is ready.

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 10:43 AM
My wii however is riding the innerweb. Nintendo just makes it so easy.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 10:48 AM
It was easier for me to hook up the ps3 than the wii...but I already had wireless going...

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I don't have the wireless, just the wii wireless adapter for xp. It works like a charm. uverse sets up a wireless network in your home when you come on board. I will probably have to replace my home puter as it is getting pretty crappy. I have one of those external usb to ethernet adapters and it is causing many crashes of late. I bought one of those card slot things to intall the ethernet port into my old computer, but haven't got around to it yet. The computer is 4 years old and has xp service pack 2. (which is horrible) I keep getting the notice to upgrade to three but am afraid it will explode when I do it, so I haven't. ;) suggestions? should I wait until Windows 7 is standard and buy a new home computer?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 11:20 AM
No reason to have to worry about waiting on a computer or an operating system. All you need is a modem and a wireless router

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 11:23 AM
I know, I was just talkin bout my puter now, should I replace it or not? Nothing to do with my new toy. ;)

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 11:24 AM
Are the movie rentals in Hi-def? I tend to buy my ondemand stuff off the cable in case I want to burn a copy to dvd.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 11:32 AM
I still use Windows XP myself...One of my laptops has vista and its ok....

No need to wait if you wanna replace it

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 11:34 AM
Whats the specs on your home computer anyway?

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 11:40 AM
Processor
Type Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Installed Qty 1 RAM
Installed Size 512 MB Technology DDR SDRAM Storage
Hard Drive 160 GB
Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel GMA900 Installed Size 128 MB Audio Output
Type Integrated Audio output compliant standards Integrated Intel High Definition audio Telecom
Modem Modem (analog) Max transfer rate 56 Kbps Networking
Networking Network Adapter Miscellaneous
Features 8-in-1 media card reader Operating System / Software
OS Provided Microsoft Windows XP Home SP 2 OS Certified Microsoft Windows XP Home SP 2 Software Microsoft Office 2003 Basic

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 11:44 AM
Memory isn't much...

What do you use it for?

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 11:48 AM
surfing, shopping itunes and photographs.

badger
1/16/2009, 11:55 AM
I got NP a 120GB. I highly recommend it.

...cept it was an Xbox 360, not a PS triple :D

As has been documented here, we sold our Wii. We found that we just weren't playing it as much as hoped. We had fun initially, then it just sat there for a few months.

If you're plunging for a new system, a certain Web site established a flow chart... which I can't find so I will just type it out:

1) Do you like video games?
Yes: Buy a PC
No: Move to question two.

2) Do you have friends?
No: Buy a PS3
Yes: Move to question three.

3) Are these friends real or just on the Internet?
Real: Buy a Wii.
Internet: Buy an XBox 360.

:P

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 11:58 AM
I think Badger is showing some bias.

We have a 360, a wii and the ps3. I like the wii and the ps3 a lot. The 360 is just loud and not as much fun. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 12:00 PM
I have the big 3 as well..They probably all get equal play around here.

frank, does your computer crap out on you, or does it just run slow?

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 12:01 PM
It crashes and attributes the crash to the ethernet adapter, aside from the daily crashes, it works great. I will probably install the new internal ethernet port this weekend and give it a try.

OUDoc
1/16/2009, 12:02 PM
My PS3 has given me more hours of fun than all the other systems combined. I wouldn't trade it for anything. And my sons have both a Wii and an XBox 360.

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 12:05 PM
LBP is the bestest game too. My wife saw me playing it and said it looked like super mario bros. I had to explain to her how much better it is! ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2009, 12:06 PM
At my house, I play the PS3, the wife plays the Wii and the students from the youth group play the 360...so it all equals out..

Change out that ethernet adapter and buy some ram frank!

frankensooner
1/16/2009, 12:07 PM
will do, oh exalted one. ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2009, 12:28 PM
I was lucky enough to get one of the original 60GB PS3s with the Emotion chip and SACD support. Yay me!

jkjsooner
1/16/2009, 03:58 PM
Are the movie rentals in Hi-def? I tend to buy my ondemand stuff off the cable in case I want to burn a copy to dvd.

I want to add to this question. How long does it take to download a hi-def movie? Since you're going through your Internet channels rather than your normal cable channel I would guess it would take a lot longer. Can you get 1080p movies? What is the compression like?

One reason I got a PS3 is because Comcast compresses the crap out of my HD channels (and I can't get Fios). The On Demand isn't so bad but it still doesn't come close to Blu-Ray. I don't care as much about 1080p vs 1080i vs 720p as I care about compression. Those darn mosquito artifacts and blockiness drive me crazy (even if I can't see it from my couch) and I don't see any of that in my Blu-ray movies.

BudSooner
1/16/2009, 09:59 PM
I was lucky enough to get one of the original 60GB PS3s with the Emotion chip and SACD support. Yay me!

We are just now getting on the PS3 bandwagon, it took until MGS4 came out that I HAD TO get it..that game f'n rules!
I know what the emotion chip is, but what is SACD support?

Ever played BioShock on PS3? I looked at some YouTube videos, it's gonna be one I will probably play for hours upon hours, much like MGS3..****ing old bastard sniper. It took me 3hrs to find him hiding before I could bust a cap in his old lard ***. :D

bluedogok
1/16/2009, 10:13 PM
Change out that ethernet adapter and buy some ram frank!
I had problems with my computer (the 4 year old desktop) and finally got around to replacing the NIC and disabling the on-board one. It works but the hard drive is acting wonky, I have a new drive but haven't reloaded it yet. I also just bought a Core i7/920 CPU so I am starting to build a new one for rendering/animation stuff....leaves the old one for the other tasks.

BudSooner
1/16/2009, 10:43 PM
I'm considering getting an Apple, perhaps the Macbook and probably the MiniMac for the kids.

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2009, 12:07 AM
what is SACD support?

Super Audio Compact Disc

SACD is a legacy audio format. Sony rolled it out in the mid-90s to replace CDs. Unlike RBCD (Red Book Compact Disc, what is usually referred to as just CD) SACD will support both 5.1 and lossless. A properly mastered SACD sounds noticeably better than a corresponding CD-however, Sony's rollout was horribly botched and it turned out that people were more interested in convenient, lossy music (.mp3s) than they were an audiophile listening experience.

There was also a DVD-A format, which also supported 5.1 lossless tracks.

bluedogok
1/17/2009, 12:57 AM
Super Audio Compact Disc

SACD is a legacy audio format. Sony rolled it out in the mid-90s to replace CDs. Unlike RBCD (Red Book Compact Disc, what is usually referred to as just CD) SACD will support both 5.1 and lossless. A properly mastered SACD sounds noticeably better than a corresponding CD-however, Sony's rollout was horribly botched and it turned out that people were more interested in convenient, lossy music (.mp3s) than they were an audiophile listening experience.

There was also a DVD-A format, which also supported 5.1 lossless tracks.
I have a Denon DVD player that plays both, the 1812 Overture (the Kunzel digital cannons version) and Dark Side of the Moon sounds great on SACD.