PDA

View Full Version : New WR recruit: Cameron Kenney

OklahomaTuba
1/15/2009, 01:51 PM
OU football recruiting: Junior college receiver eyeing Sooners

by: DAVE SITTLER World Columnist
Thursday, January 15, 2009
1/15/2009 12:07:16 PM

BLOGS: For more blogs, including OU football, click here.
World columnist Dave Sittler has written a blog about OU recruiting. A junior college receiver who has drawn interest from multiple SEC schools has reportedly received a scholarship offer and will visit OU.

Here is the blog:

It didn’t take Oklahoma long to capitalize on Wednesday’s news that Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Sam Bradford was returning to OU next season instead of heading for the NFL.

Wide receiver Cameron Kenney told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he received a call and scholarship offer Wednesday night from OU. The Sooners also invited Kenney, who attends Garden City (Kansas) Community College, to make an official recruiting visit this weekend.

Kenney had given a verbal commitment to Auburn, but reopened the recruiting process after the Tigers made a coaching change.

“It’s Oklahoma . . . What else can you say? They just played for the national championship and they said they needed me,” Kenney told the Atlanta newspaper. “I’m going to try to keep a (low profile) about this. But it’s exciting.”

OU has to replace the bulk of its receiving corps. While it has several talented young prospects already on the team, it could use someone with Kenney’s experience and versatility.

Kenney canceled a recruiting visit to South Carolina this weekend so he could accept OU’s invitation to visit Norman. He will visit Georgia next weekend.

Georgia coach Mark Richt thinks enough of the 6-foot-2, 195-pound Kenney that he brought along three of his assistant coaches when he made an in-home visit with Kenney and his family last week.

Kenney had 83 receptions for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns in two seasons with Garden City.

While he said Bradford’s return won’t have an impact on his final decision, Kenney might change his mind after he meets Super Sam and some of the other Sooner studs who decided to play college ball next season instead of moving on to the NFL.

With recruiting heading into it’s most important stretch before the February signing date, look for OU to sell potential recruits on the fact that Bradford and several more Sooners underclassman decided to return next season to make another run at the national championship.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090115_92_0_imgsrc76666

OklahomaTuba
1/15/2009, 01:55 PM
Here is his Rivals profile:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=74850&sport=1

sooner518
1/15/2009, 02:00 PM
Come to OU and play for conference and national titles or go to Georgia which just had it's most heralded pre-season team in a decade and beat Michigan St for the Capitol One Bowl championship. lolZ!

Boomer.....
1/15/2009, 02:26 PM
Nice, we can sure use some more wide receivers.

sooner2b09
1/15/2009, 04:50 PM
Sounds like he really wants to come here but doesnt want to announce it so soon

XFollower
1/15/2009, 04:57 PM
Dang, he kicks too. Let's get him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zIb3WJnEs

Toronto Sooner
1/15/2009, 06:31 PM
This guys looks very interesting. Not only does he bring size (6-2) and speed (4.4), but it looks like he brings extreme toughness. I love how he plays D, and finishes off tackles. As the very least, he should be able to provide punishing blocks to spring Broyles and Gresham for 80 yard runs.

It sounds like he understands the special opportunity that has been presented to him (from OU).

It would be good for OU to get 2 WRs (in addition to Jaz) - guys that can contribute right away (be it in a heavy support role or a prominent starter). Getting Randle and this guy would be ideal. If not, getting this guy and another similar WR would do.

CatfishSooner
1/15/2009, 07:43 PM
he looks pretty legit...

Will he not be red-shirted?

sooner59
1/15/2009, 08:19 PM
No way he would redshirt! He would start.

LRoss
1/15/2009, 08:52 PM
I might be wrong, but red-shirting a JUCO would sound pretty unusual.

OklahomaTuba
1/16/2009, 12:26 AM
No way would we RS a juco WR.

Reminds me of Travis Wilson a little bit.

TXBOOMER
1/18/2009, 11:14 PM
How did that dude end up playing at Garden City? Looked like a stud on the video.

Desert Sapper
1/19/2009, 12:17 AM
How did that dude end up playing at Garden City? Looked like a stud on the video.

Grades?

Bonecrusher#31
1/20/2009, 01:41 AM
When is this dude suppose to make a decision ?

allentxsooner
1/20/2009, 09:47 AM
Looks like he will make a decision on signing day between us and Georgia

I think he will make the right decision!

Hotrod3157
1/20/2009, 01:23 PM
Looks impressive in the video think he would be a great addition to the receiving corps.

Boomer38Sooner
1/20/2009, 10:18 PM
I really hope that Cameron realizes he will be playing and catching balls from Sam Bradford if he comes to OU instead of an inexperienced new QB at UGA

Collier11
1/25/2009, 09:49 PM
I hear he committed, any official word? By the look of things this guy is a stud, what can you guys tell me about him?

JLEW1818
1/25/2009, 09:54 PM
yep, says on rivals he did commit to us

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=74850

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2009, 10:25 PM
This is great news if Kenney is as good as advertised. The guy has size and speed if the rivals page is not fibbing. With Sam coming back for most likely 1 year, a polished JUCO WR is the perfect match.

Curly Bill
1/25/2009, 11:13 PM
Good news.

Are we still after Tyrece Gaines as well?

Soonerfan88
1/25/2009, 11:43 PM

He only seriously started playing football his senior year of HS.

This is a great day as he will, IMO, make an instant impact on the team next year, even without being here for Spring.

Edit: I think Gaines is out because of grades - no one wants another Sims situation.

soonerfan28
1/26/2009, 10:52 AM
Now that he has committed does anybody see him being able to move ahead of the other guys on the depth chart? Even Miller and Owens willl have more time in the offense then Kenney and they are every bit as talented as Kenney.

MojoRisen
1/26/2009, 11:52 AM
I think he is definitely going to make an instant impact. He has college experience and has excelled - al biet Juco, it is still a big difference from a true freshman out of highschool. We are going to need all of our guys and who steps up is going to be key! We need dudes who are going to hold onto the ball and make some plays for us!

Having Sam be able to work with our guys in spring and over the summer and fall- I suspect we are going to have people on the same page!

Collier11
1/26/2009, 12:18 PM
See Mike Reed, Chijoke, etc...dont count on him, although I hope he does step in soon

OklahomaTuba
1/26/2009, 01:22 PM
No way anyone can say for certain that he will make any impact at all.

I give it a 25% chance, and that may be high! But if he does, I think this is the type of WR we needed.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/26/2009, 01:36 PM
See Mike Reed, Chijoke, etc...dont count on him, although I hope he does step in soon

WR and running back tend to be the 2 positions that transition the best from juco, because they are more about athleticism and talent than technique. the issue, however, is keeping them eligible for 2 seasons (see ferguson, robert)

TXBOOMER
1/26/2009, 03:14 PM

We have had some JUCO guys that didn't pan out, but I think overall we have had great success with them....guys like Josh Heupel, Lance Mitchell, Pasha Jackson, CJ AhYou, Alan Patrick, Loadholt, Balogun, Halzle (good back-up). I'm sure there are others.

Desert Sapper
1/26/2009, 06:38 PM
We have had some JUCO guys that didn't pan out, but I think overall we have had great success with them....guys like Josh Heupel, Lance Mitchell, Pasha Jackson, CJ AhYou, Alan Patrick, Loadholt, Balogun, Halzle (good back-up). I'm sure there are others.

I think our last JUCO WR may have been Mark Bradley. He did OK.

(Especially since nothing happened in January of 2005 to jeopardize that...and nobody can tell me otherwise;) )

Salt City Sooner
1/26/2009, 09:39 PM
Bradley transferred in from Arkansas-Pine Bluff, a 4 year school.

I was browsing Soonerstats just now, & unless I missed one, the last JUCO receiver that I saw that had any significant playing time at OU was Mo Little back in '97.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/26/2009, 10:04 PM
Awesome...SEC,SEC,SEC....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

KingDavid
1/27/2009, 07:31 PM
Early prediction: Cameron Kenney makes impact on special teams right away.

I'll bet we see him as the punter every once in a while (especially in safe situations in the n/c schedule) and have him run that fake at least once before conference play gets under way. Make Texas gobble up some practice time having to game-plan for that.

I think it's safe to say, based on that footage, that Cameron Kenney WOULD MOST DEFINITELY have gotten the first down on the fake punt against Texas (the one where Mike Knall looked like he was pushing a walker).

That's my early prediction.

This is kid is a real "get" in my opinion. I hold out strong hopes that he can contribute immediately - on special teams if not at WR.