PDA

View Full Version : Wanna get pizzed off?

Flagstaffsooner
1/15/2009, 01:17 PM
Read this asshat (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9080876/Bradford-made-the-wrong-choice-by-staying)

OK, let's hope this has a Peyton Manning-like, no-harm-no-foul happy ending.

No one wants to witness a replay of Matt Leinart's plummeting-draft-stock, baby-mama-drama, USC farewell tour.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9080878_36_2.jpgSam Bradford, right, is risking untold millions by passing up the draft in order to play another season at Oklahoma. (Doug Benc / Getty Images)
Yeah, we have no choice but to root for Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.
On Wednesday, the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner announced he would return for a fourth season at OU rather than risk being drafted by Kwame Kilpatrick's favorite football team, the Detroit Lions.
Bradford's decision is equal parts inspiring, stupefying and bat-(spit) crazy.
Most draft experts had Bradford at the top of their Big Boards. The kid just took a one-year sabbatical from a $60-plus million contract and close to $40 million in guaranteed bonuses.
I heard news travels slow in the Dust Bowl, but surely the Bradford family has heard about the world-wide financial crash. Maybe they're immune? Maybe T. Boone Pickens is a Sooner supporter, too?
Whatever the case, I'm sure Warren Buffett could explain the financial mistake Sam Bradford just made. OK, Warren Buffett is a little too square. How about Tupac Shakur and his life philosophy, M.O.B.?
Money over BCS.
Right now, you got to get your money, honey.
I understand that losing the national title game to Florida left the feeling of unfinished business throughout Sooner Nation. But if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense in 2009.
Bradford made a wonderful financial decision for Bob Stoops and all the other grownups associated with Oklahoma football. Bradford's return gives the Sooners another crack at avenging their fifth straight BCS bowl loss and third straight national title game defeat.
But this makes no sense for Sam Bradford. It's irresponsible.
Keep in mind , I'm pro-education, pro-four years of college. It took me five years to graduate from college, and I wish it had taken six. Matter of fact, I'd re-enroll in college right now if the occasional specs of gray in my beard wouldn't give me away.
Everything tastes, feels, smells, sounds and looks better on a college campus. It's heaven for your five senses. Declaring for real life sucks. But real life ain't too shabby when your pockets are fat like a post-holidays Oprah.
The University of Oklahoma is recession- and depression-proof. It's not going anywhere. Bradford can always return to OU and collect his degree. The opportunity to be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft is very fickle.
In 2005, Leinart, fresh off a Heisman Trophy season, was supposed to be the No. 1 pick in the draft. He returned for one more season at good-old USC. For his troubles, Vince Young spanked him in the national title game, Reggie Bush won the 2006 Heisman, a USC women's basketball player helped Leinart become a daddy and Leinart dropped nine spots in the 2006 draft.
The total cost for Leinart was about $14 million. That's the estimated difference in guaranteed money between what Leinart received in 2006 as the 10th selection and what Utah quarterback Alex Smith got for being the No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft.
Leinart made a horrible decision, and in fact may have revealed a bit of the immaturity that has kept him tethered to the Arizona bench for three years. In order to excel in the NFL, you have to really want to be a professional football player. Being an NFL quarterback carries the most responsibility in professional sports.

There's nothing wrong with Bradford wanting to prolong childhood. I'm desperately and embarrassingly clinging on to mine.
And maybe Bradford is the next Peyton Manning. The reigning NFL MVP graduated from Tennessee in three years and was pegged as the No. 1 pick in the 1997 NFL draft. He returned to college for his senior season and was the top choice in 1998.
There's a theory, backed by stats, that the best NFL quarterbacks require four years of college seasoning. I don't think there's enough information to legitimately support the theory. The NFL did not allow early entry until 1990.
What's a fact is once the NFL hands you a truckload of guaranteed money, it can't take it back unless you open a dogfighting operation or do something incredibly stupid and illegal.
I've looked at this from every angle. Bradford made a curious choice at best and a ridiculous one at worst.
I hope it works out. The Sooners — despite a retention/recruiting effort that snagged three other high-profile, draft-eligible underclassmen — lose a lot of the pieces that made Bradford unstoppable this season.
Bradford is risking exposure. He threw the ball into huge windows this season. His line provided him top-shelf protection, and his receivers accelerated for massive separation. I'm suspicious of his arm strength and ability to make plays under pressure.
We'll monitor this situation closely. There'll be no I-told-you-so column if this ends poorly. There'll only be sadness. [I]You can e-mail Jason Whitlock at [email protected].
[email protected] jeez.

sooner ngintunr
1/15/2009, 01:22 PM
"He threw the ball into huge windows this season"

I guess he never watched an OU game all year?

SoonerTerry
1/15/2009, 01:24 PM
I'm suspicious of his arm strength and ability to make plays under pressure

Has this guy seen Sam play?

Flagstaffsooner
1/15/2009, 01:30 PM
"He threw the ball into huge windows this season"

I guess he never watched an OU game all year?
http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Jason-Whitlock?authorId=310

When you are a fatazz ****** from Ball State you dont need to see the games.

Has this guy seen Sam play?I doubt he could see a game over his belly.

gotpoi73
1/15/2009, 01:32 PM
he forgets to mention how well alex smith's career has turned out. sam's dream was to play at OU, not some crappy nfl team. i've never even heard sam say he wants to play in the nfl. he probably will, but we all know how he feels about OU.

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2009, 01:35 PM
Leinart went 10th in the draft as I recall - is that plummeting? I suspect his guaranteed money far exceeds this guys lifetime earnings. And I still expect Leinart to be a starting NFL QB and make lots more $$ and he got to stay at USC and learn ballroom dancing as well.

Flagstaffsooner
1/15/2009, 01:43 PM
Leinart went 10th in the draft as I recall - is that plummeting? I suspect his guaranteed money far exceeds this guys lifetime earnings. And I still expect Leinart to be a starting NFL QB and make lots more $$ and he got to stay at USC and learn ballroom dancing as well.And he doesn't have to anything for it except sit on the side line and eat crow.;)

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 01:45 PM
I was so easy for Leinhart having the talent around him at USC, but I think he forgot he was playing in the NFL and he hasn't been able translate what he did in college to the NFL. I think that has a little to do with cockiness. Bradford doesn't have that problem. Bradford wasn't higlhy recruited nor has he had the success that Leinhart had in college and I think Bradford will make an impact at the next level.

Desert Sapper
1/15/2009, 01:46 PM
Wait, wait. Money. money money money, money money money money. Okay, got it.

First off, any QB that leaves before 4 years is unlikely to be a success.

Second, Leinart stayed because he was the king of LA. What the hell is in Arizona besides a huge hole in the ground and lots of beach with no water?

Third, Manning wasn't an idiot for sticking around another year. He was brilliant. College is where you live. The NFL is where you make a living. It's not about growing up. It's about experiencing life.

Fourth, Sam is about team. Anybody that has played a team sport recognizes what this is all about. What kind of team would Sam play on if he left this year?

SoonerLB
Leinart's collecting playoff dollars along with a nice paycheck for practicing, and I'm guessing, but he will probably be in the NFL longer than Smith, so I doubt he's complaining, other than about playing time maybe.

Hot Rod
People who think others SHOULD do something, based on very little information and the fact that he IS NOT SAM, are the reason they make themselves out to be idiots.

Sam will be just fine and playing for another Big XII title in 11 months.

sooner518
1/15/2009, 01:48 PM
Mr Whitlock,

Please remove your enormous head from Todd McShay's *** and realize that nothing is guaranteed in this world and there was no guarantee that Sam would be drafted in the top 10. Just because ESPN's draft "experts" say its so, doesn't make it true.

My favorite from the comments section:

You are kidding right? Tebow would be # 1 overall.

Bradford, although I'm not that impressed would still be a first rounder, even if late. As top QB he would be assured of at least $45m for 5 years. I believe he is around 5th best QB in country and when Tebow and others come out next year his stock will go way down.

he just made at least a $15m mistake and that is he has a great year next season, which I suspect he won't. If I'm right and he falls he may not even get drafted.

Can you say terrible decision. I'm sure Stoops talked him into it. what a selfish guy.

What planet is this guy living on??? Tebow at #1? A late 1st rounder making "at least" $45 million in 5 years ???

Collier11
1/15/2009, 01:56 PM
I dont see the issue with what he is saying, from an outsiders POV why not take the money and run. Some people are incapable of realizing that money isnt everything but I know it would have been hard for me to turn down that much cash. Some of you are too sensitive

Flagstaffsooner
1/15/2009, 01:56 PM
What the hell is in Arizona besides a huge hole in the ground and lots of beach with no water?

You Sir are a tad poor in your geography. I live in a mountainous pine forest covered with several feet of snow.:confused:

boomermagic
1/15/2009, 02:02 PM
I agree with a lot of what the guy is saying.. It is a FACT that Sam is risking millions by staying.. I think it was a bad move financially on Sam's part but I am SOOOOOO glad he chose to stay.. If you will admit it I think most of you are being selfish by saying Sam should have stayed..

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 02:08 PM
Yes he should stay because he would possibly have went to the Lions and they allowed 25 sacks this season. That is 3.5 sacks a game and with Sam needing to gain maybe 10 to 15 pounds of muscle to be able to take the beating of a top pick. If he were to get drafted by a team like the Vikings then he looks stupid for staying, but I think he would wind up in SF or Detoit. SF allowed 34 sacks (4.2 a game). He should have stayed and he did. He's a genius.

boomermagic
1/15/2009, 02:16 PM
Yes he should stay because he would possibly have went to the Lions and they allowed 25 sacks this season. That is 3.5 sacks a game and with same needing to gain maybe 10 to 15 pounds of muscle to be able to take the beating of a top pick. If he were to get drafted by a team like the Vikings then he looks stupid for staying, but I think he would wind up in SF or Detoit. SF allowed 34 sacks (4.2 a game). He should have stayed and he did. He's a genius.

If they pay me millions I'll gladly get sacked 3or 4 times a game... :D At my age I have trouble getting sacked period..:D

BigRedJed
1/15/2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not going to dog Sam at all for staying. Makes me happy as can be. But I also don't disagree that it is a huge risk. If I were his dad or mom or someone close to him I would have probably encouraged him to jump. I think for a lot of us those numbers are so abstract that it's easy to dismiss them.

But anything from injury to poor line play to an emergence of a new QB somewhere to a shuffling of which NFL team has what needs next season could potentially cost him tens of millions over the course of his career, if not all of it, which could happen in the case of injury. Just like it's really easy for Whitlock or whoever to dismiss the factors that kept him here, it's easy for us to dismiss tens of millions of dollars, because in all likelyhood nobody here will ever have access to money like that, and because we WANT him to stay.

The other thing I think about is how NFL players' bodies break down. I think they have a finite number of years in them, and potentially he just subtracted one of those, which could be millions and millions, by itself.

The fact of the matter is that kind of money could set up his children and future generations of Bradfords for life. If anything happens to change that, it will be tragic. So here's to nothing bad happening. As a Sooner fan, I'm thrilled that he's staying.

Neg away...

BigRedJed
1/15/2009, 02:30 PM
Also, for the record, Whitlock is a douché.

Spray
1/15/2009, 03:26 PM
Also, for the record, Whitlock is a douché.

A "doo-shay"? Is that French?

MichiganSooner
1/15/2009, 03:48 PM
Let's see, Matt Leinart was drafted 9th per the article which was a plummet from his ASSUMPTION of being #1. Guess he is in the poor house.

Did Sam say yesterday that he did not want to risk being drafted by Detroit? I never heard him say that.

The writer does not want to go back to college because his grey hair specks would make him more visible in the classroom. Maybe Sam wants to really get his bachelor degree out of the way before his hair grays or goes bald.

The writer needs to get his own money, money, money, money by trying to write a good book and stay out of sports writing.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/15/2009, 03:58 PM
You don't want to be drafted by Detroit. See Billy Sims, Barry Sanders, et al.

BigRedJed
1/15/2009, 04:18 PM
Whaddya want to bet they'll have the first pick next year too?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/15/2009, 04:40 PM
Whaddya want to bet they'll have the first pick next year too?

Good point, question is, will they take a receiver with the 1st pick?

SOONER STEAKER
1/15/2009, 04:51 PM
Sam is a smart kid and the family isn't in dire needs like many kids who opt for the NFL early. If Sam doesn't make the money in the NFL, he surely will make it managing some Fortune 500 companies money.

OUMallen
1/15/2009, 04:51 PM
College is where you live. The NFL is where you make a living.

BINGO BANGO BOINGO!

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 05:18 PM
I can see huge improvements in Detroit next year with whoever they draft. 1-15 here they come.

Breadburner
1/15/2009, 05:53 PM
Al Gore made this possible.....

Desert Sapper
1/15/2009, 05:58 PM
You Sir are a tad poor in your geography. I live in a mountainous pine forest covered with several feet of snow.:confused:

I forgot about all y'all 'zona Sooners. My apologies. Arizona is as diverse a state as any, covering lush forests, beautiful mountain ranges, breath-taking desert scenery, and, of course, the Grand Canyon. It is a lovely state. ;)

I'm not sure it compares to the rockstar life Leinart was living in LA, but that's just my opinion.

tator
1/15/2009, 06:08 PM
I'm not going to dog Sam at all for staying. Makes me happy as can be. But I also don't disagree that it is a huge risk. If I were his dad or mom or someone close to him I would have probably encouraged him to jump. I think for a lot of us those numbers are so abstract that it's easy to dismiss them.

But anything from injury to poor line play to an emergence of a new QB somewhere to a shuffling of which NFL team has what needs next season could potentially cost him tens of millions over the course of his career, if not all of it, which could happen in the case of injury. Just like it's really easy for Whitlock or whoever to dismiss the factors that kept him here, it's easy for us to dismiss tens of millions of dollars, because in all likelyhood nobody here will ever have access to money like that, and because we WANT him to stay.

The other thing I think about is how NFL players' bodies break down. I think they have a finite number of years in them, and potentially he just subtracted one of those, which could be millions and millions, by itself.

The fact of the matter is that kind of money could set up his children and future generations of Bradfords for life. If anything happens to change that, it will be tragic. So here's to nothing bad happening. As a Sooner fan, I'm thrilled that he's staying.

Neg away...
What he said.

I'm glad he's staying, but I'm very surprised too.

Although I will say that Sam is in a unique position among star college athletes. He is no one-trick pony. If it weren't for football, he still has quite a few viable options.

007sooner
1/15/2009, 06:09 PM
he forgets to mention how well alex smith's career has turned out. sam's dream was to play at OU, not some crappy nfl team. i've never even heard sam say he wants to play in the nfl. he probably will, but we all know how he feels about OU.

Also, he has said his goal is to a corporate lawyer, hasn't he? You kinda need a college degree before you can go to law school. Even if that's on the back burner forever (because who needs a law degree to accomplish what NFL players can accomplish...) it still shows a commitment to education that I'm glad Sam hasn't abandoned.

Not sure why everyone feels entitled to blast Sam because he didn't let money override every other value he holds. Why have we as a society forgotten that sports is about more than just millions of dollars?

1890MilesToNorman
1/15/2009, 06:17 PM
If they pay me millions I'll gladly get sacked 3or 4 times a game... :D At my age I have trouble getting sacked period..:D

You have to be very good in the sack to get that kind of money in a sack! :P

bri
1/15/2009, 06:23 PM
Whitlock's just angry 'cause Tulsa just scored again. Also, someone took the last cookie.

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/Jason%20Whitlock,%20thinking%20hard-thumb.jpg

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2009, 07:54 PM
What he said.

I'm glad he's staying, but I'm very surprised too.

Although I will say that Sam is in a unique position among star college athletes. He is no one-trick pony. If it weren't for football, he still has quite a few viable options.

Yep. If Sam has pro-level golf potential, he could make even more $$ w/o being dogged by angry linebackers and huge lineman wanting to harm him.

Partial Qualifier
1/15/2009, 09:08 PM
What planet is this guy living on??? The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah at #1? A late 1st rounder making "at least" $45 million in 5 years ???

He's living on the planet where everyone makes a living writing outrageously inflammatory editorials day in & day out because there's always a fresh set of people who haven't yet noticed this schtick is what the writers do to attract attention.

Seriously. He's been doing it since at least 1998. Probably longer. He's a clown and perfectly fit to ignore :)

bluedogok
1/15/2009, 09:51 PM
Good point, question is, will they take a receiver with the 1st pick?
Doubtful, Matt Millen is no longer there......

Too many of the national media have shown they have no allegiance to any place, they only care about money and attention. They don't understand why anyone would care to stay in school because they don't have the same priorities. As gotpoi stated, Sam always wanted to play at OU, like many kids they dreamed of playing at their favorite college, the pros were not the "dream" for them but the national hacks just can't comprehend that (or anything else) would be more important than the money.

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2009, 10:08 PM
That's what sets OU apart from the other schools. Guys in Oklahoma spend their lives dreaming of such things. Little kids sit on Santa's lap and ask for OU to win or say "and let me play for OU. Amen" at the end of prayers.

These azztards from other states really don't seem to think that way. They dream of playing for USC and getting to the NFL. USC is just the means to a greedy end. OU guys from Oklahoma know the shot will be there when they choose to take it, but they tend to put school pride and the joy of being a Sooner ahead of the rest much more than guys at other schools.

bluedogok
1/15/2009, 10:14 PM
That's what sets OU apart from the other schools. Guys in Oklahoma spend their lives dreaming of such things. Little kids sit on Santa's lap and ask for OU to win or say "and let me play for OU. Amen" at the end of prayers.

These azztards from other states really don't seem to think that way. They dream of playing for USC and getting to the NFL. USC is just the means to a greedy end. OU guys from Oklahomsknow the shot will be there when they choose to take it, but they tend to put school pride and the joy of being a Sooner ahead of the rest much more than guys at other schools.
I think there are other schools that have that same kind of "love for the school" but it is more of a south, southeast or midwest thing. There are kids in Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Georgia, etc. that want to go to the big schools there as well. I also thing that it also happens at places where there is not as much pro influence. I think pulling kids out of LA, Chicago or Miami they are naturally more attracted to the pros since that is the focus in those type of places and college is just a means to an end.

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2009, 10:22 PM
I can give you that one, I just think it's a bit stronger in OK

BigRedJed
1/16/2009, 02:38 PM
...Not sure why everyone feels entitled to blast Sam because he didn't let money override every other value he holds. Why have we as a society forgotten that sports is about more than just millions of dollars?
Who here has been "blasting" Sam? In any way whatsoever? The type of over-the-top rhetoric you're using there is just as bad as Whitlock's.

And Sam going to the NFL would have had NOTHING to do with "overriding every other value he holds." More inflammatory, exaggerated rhetoric. Personally, I was looking at it strictly as a business decision. He's taking a huge risk. I hope against hope that he has a great, healthy year and doesn't lose a fortune in the process.

Sam jumping as an assured first-rounder and probable first selection is quite different from some kid from a poor background jumping from high school to the NBA, for instance, going undrafted, and simultaneously ruining his opportunity for a college education. It's even different than a football kid who will land in the second or third round.

I use the NBA as an example mostly because up until recently it was possible to make that jump straight out of H.S., and there are a number of kids who overestimated their draft potential and screwed themselves out of college at the same time. Now, did Kobe or LeBron make the right choice? I'm thinking they absolutely did. But there are a lot of guys who did it and who are now bagging groceries or worse, with no prospects for anything better.

Sam is not even CLOSE to being in that position. Does anyone doubt whether he would have come back and finished college after his playing career, had he jumped? No. Does anyone doubt that he would have the financial resources to do so? No. Big difference. Jumping a year early would have zero impact on whether Sam is able to live out his dream of becoming a lawyer. None.

By the logic some are using here he should forgo the NFL entirely and go straight to law school after graduation. The only reason you wouldn't argue for that is because he only has four years of eligibilty. It's a selfish argument for a fan to make.

Despite the fact that I think it was a really risky decision, I reiterate that as a fan that I am unbelievably thrilled that he's staying.

Flagstaffsooner
1/16/2009, 03:24 PM
Pro sports is a f'n joke, most of the games are fixed. The NFL is just like pro wrestling. They are a bunch of over paid thugs who think they are above everybody. Let those bums go out and get real jobs like everyone else. I applaud Sam for staying in school.

A-M
1/16/2009, 04:12 PM
I heard that all 4 of the guys made the decision to stay in school in the locker room after the MNC. They want to finish what they started. I'm glad that they did stay and I had no idea if they made the right decision or not. Only time will tell for each one of them.

soonerfan28
1/16/2009, 04:26 PM
Pro sports is a f'n joke, most of the games are fixed. The NFL is just like pro wrestling. They are a bunch of over paid thugs who think they are above everybody. Let those bums go out and get real jobs like everyone else. I applaud Sam for staying in school.
That is why I beleive that we will see future generations become fans of the college game more then professional. I have liked the Dallas Cowboy since I was little kid and I think thats is due in part to the fact that both of my parents were fans of the Cowboys. I think what has happened to the Cowboys over the last 10 years and especially the last 3 or 4 with adding players like Owens, Johnson, and Jones has really hurt the reputation of the Dallas Cowboys. I know that the two and a half kids that I have will grow up rooting for OU and I think that is not only due in part to the fact that my wife and I are fans but due to the fact that college sports are much purer then professional.

ouengineer97
1/16/2009, 04:52 PM
Interesting thing about this article is that it does not take into account that Sam Bradford with his inate intelligence outside of Football will always be able to get a great job and make a good living in OK from now on. What company in OK would not want to hire or give Sam Bradford an opportunity?

He may not ultimately be $40M rich, but he will always have great opportunities that will be much easier to come by than most.

gotpoi73
1/16/2009, 05:44 PM
we all want to see see sam win a nat champ but also have long term success in the pros. here are some of the underclassmen qb's to come out since 1990
Andre Ware, Todd Marinovich , Tommy Maddox , Drew Bledsoe , Rick Mirer , Heath Shuler , Ryan Leaf , Tim Couch , Michael Vick , Rex Grossman , Ben Roethlisberger, Alex Smith , Aaron Rodgers , VY. some success there, but the odds are definitely stacked against you

007sooner
1/16/2009, 05:51 PM
Who here has been "blasting" Sam? In any way whatsoever? The type of over-the-top rhetoric you're using there is just as bad as Whitlock's.

Kinda think the guy who wrote the article in the original post was blasting him - or his decision at least. ;)

A-M
1/17/2009, 10:42 AM
I know that it is hard for some people to understand, but there are more important things in life then making $40M in your early 20's. For Sam, that is the case. Let him enjoy his life as the star of OU football before life slaps him in the face and makes him be an adult about everything. Personally, I would have given anything to have been able to use the band scholarship I was offered at OU, but my family made me be an adult and get a job and pay my own way at the age of 18. I thnik Sam will be just fine in life and he will not have to worry about money because he is a smart guy in more ways then one.

BigRedJed
1/18/2009, 10:23 AM
Kinda think the guy who wrote the article in the original post was blasting him - or his decision at least. ;)
Yeah, but I don't think anybody here disagreed that Whitlock is a royal d-bag. :D

BigRedJed
1/18/2009, 10:37 AM
I know that it is hard for some people to understand, but there are more important things in life then making $40M in your early 20's. For Sam, that is the case. Let him enjoy his life as the star of OU football before life slaps him in the face and makes him be an adult about everything. Personally, I would have given anything to have been able to use the band scholarship I was offered at OU, but my family made me be an adult and get a job and pay my own way at the age of 18. I thnik Sam will be just fine in life and he will not have to worry about money because he is a smart guy in more ways then one.
I think you confuse Sam with guys who would make $40 million and squander it on strippers and yachts. The difference between making $40 million, ensuring his financial security for life, being able to set up future generations of his family, likely (for Sam) making wise investments, setting up charitable foundations and the like --- and getting hurt and making lawyer money (NTTAWWT) for the rest of his life is an amazing (and would be a tragic) disparity. This is not about greed, or parties, or anything else, it's about lifechanging, multigenerational stuff, especially when you're talking about someone as bright and responsible as Sam.

I'm not inclined to debate this any more, though. Sam made his choice, which as an OU fan makes me extremely grateful and excited, and I damn sure don't want to be in a position to say "I told you so" at some point next year. I guess Jason White's failure to play in the NFL -- which I attribute nearly 100% to his knee injuries -- instructs my opinion on this, a lot. I'm rooting for Sam as much as anybody, it just seems that I'll be holding my breath for him on every snap more than most here.

soonerfan28
1/18/2009, 12:29 PM
Sam Bradford is someone like Peyton Manning. I think the things about pro sports is that 90% of what is written or reported is the bad things that happen with pro athletes and it gets old hearing about Owens drama and Pacman's bs. It turns people off to pro sports.

007sooner
1/19/2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, but I don't think anybody here disagreed that Whitlock is a royal d-bag. :D

Yep, this thread has pretty much been 100% on that point.

Perhaps it is a selfish thing to be ridiculously happy when your qb walks away from that money for at least a year to keep playing for your team... but I'm not gonna let awareness of the selfishness ruin the happiness. :D

#8 in '09!!!

SoonersEnFuego
1/19/2009, 10:16 AM
Whitlock was on Jim Rome a week ago or so and said Sam Bradford is the next Tim Couch. He said he is a system quarterback and will not be good in the NFL.
I wanted to call and curse him out on the radio because he is an idiot, but that's what he's all about, shocking the audience.
He's a joke.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/19/2009, 10:33 AM
That guy wants to be a rapper so bad it's crazy.

I am surprised that Bradford is coming back too. It's the wrong choice as far as the odds are concerned. If it works out for him, it will be the stuff that movies are made of.

bri
1/19/2009, 11:36 AM
Whitlock was on Jim Rome a week ago or so and said Sam Bradford is the next Tim Couch. He said he is a system quarterback and will not be good in the NFL.
I wanted to call and curse him out on the radio because he is an idiot, but that's what he's all about, shocking the audience.
He's a joke.

Yeah, but this is the same idiot who claimed that his alma mater's QB was the best player in the nation. The same QB that got skull-f*cked by TU's defense in the GMAC Bowl. Now, I love the 'Cane, but stifling defense isn't really their thing, so obviously Whitlock's expertise on things that aren't batter-fried is pretty much nil.

starclassic tama
1/20/2009, 02:06 AM
i don't understand how it's such a big risk to stay in school. even if he does get injured, they have something called modern medicine that can have you as good as new in virtually all cases. how about if his production does go down? we can safely assume that sam is going to have a good year regardless, because he is such a great player. if our o-line stinks and he doesn't have the kind of year he hoped, the scouts will still see that he can play and he will still get his shot. of course it helps to have a good year, but some people make it sound like he has to win another heisman to even get drafted. the NFL will recognize sam's skills and he will make a lot of money. period.

Crucifax Autumn
1/20/2009, 03:29 AM
I'm not pizzed...I'm fired up to see Sam light up