PDA

View Full Version : Sam will not win the Heisman Again...

setem
1/15/2009, 12:17 PM
Because DeMarco Murray is going to have his best year yet. I think with the injuries and criticism he was delt this year he has something to prove and he will do it. It is going to be hard because he will be splitting carries with CB again but Darren McFadden made runner up twice and he shared the load with Felix Jones. I think Murray has enough tools and mostivation to do better than McFadden. DeMarco Murray will be this year's Heisman Trophy winner!

I am not some kind of gypsy psychic by the way, but it would be nice to see Murray go nuts this season. If the O-line plays crappy no one from OU will be winning the Heisman, but I believe they will be one of the best lines out there. Jarvis Jones and Trent Williams have veteran experience already so we have anchors and almost all of the backups have played just as much as the starters. So it is not like they are complete rookies. We all know that our passing game is great so if we have a Heisman-esk running game we will be winning games left and right.

Discuss...

boomermagic
1/15/2009, 12:22 PM
I think Sam will have an excellent chance.. For one thing the award has become a qb award lately and Sam will be the best qb in the nation once again...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/15/2009, 12:24 PM
Murray won't have the numbers to win it splitting carries with Chris Brown

1890MilesToNorman
1/15/2009, 12:26 PM
There is no way to know who will win anything at this point. There will be favorites but that's about it.

Am I stating the obvious here? :D

boomermagic
1/15/2009, 12:29 PM
There is no way to know who win win anything at this point. There will be favorites but that's about it.

WEEEELLLLLLLL, Ya might be...:D

meoveryouxinfinity
1/15/2009, 12:33 PM
i was DeMarco's biggest cheerleader and defender on here, but I'll say there is NO way. It took him half of the season to come back from his last injury, and this one looks to be more serious.

setem
1/15/2009, 12:34 PM
I know there is no way to know. But it would be SWEET right?

Boomer.....
1/15/2009, 12:35 PM

agree.

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 12:41 PM
We also have a guy by the name of Jermie Calhoun. He'll see the field this year and that's why Murray has no shot. I don't know what the time frame of Murray's injury is but if he's not 100% by two a days then I think he gets passed by Calhoun on the depth chart. Murray didn't come back at 100% last year and didn't look good at the beginning of the season. Calhoun is a beast! Bold statement, maybe but the guy has the skills.

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2009, 12:47 PM
i was DeMarco's biggest cheerleader and defender on here, but I'll say there is NO way. It took him half of the season to come back from his last injury, and this one looks to be more serious.

Where did you get that? A fractured patella is a very serious injury and takes a full year of recovery post-surgery. I don't know that much about the hamstring tendon injury, but why do you think it is more serious?

Scotty
1/15/2009, 01:36 PM
Where did you get that? A fractured patella is a very serious injury and takes a full year of recovery post-surgery. I don't know that much about the hamstring tendon injury, but why do you think it is more serious?

He won't be able to do anything for 5 months, so they say.

Am I the only one that doens't give a **** about the heisman next year??

FlatheadSooner
1/15/2009, 01:37 PM
We also have a guy by the name of Jermie Calhoun. He'll see the field this year and that's why Murray has no shot. I don't know what the time frame of Murray's injury is but if he's not 100% by two a days then I think he gets passed by Calhoun on the depth chart. Murray didn't come back at 100% last year and didn't look good at the beginning of the season. Calhoun is a beast! Bold statement, maybe but the guy has the skills.

Methinks Bob and staff will show loyalty to DM and, right or wrong, as soon as he's healthy will give him plenty of chance to play out his final year. I just hope DM can get back to 100% quickly and I would love nothing more than for him to be a heisman contender.

Of course I've become a bigger fan of CB as well - so I want to see them both do great.

Scotty
1/15/2009, 01:41 PM

Calhoun and Murray have very contrasting styles. Murray is more of a speed guy who brings alot of versatility. Calhoun is not as fast but more of a power back, even more so than CB. If Murray comes back 100%, this will bring us alot of options to have Murray and Calhoun or Murray and CB in the same formations.

Get well soon, DM.

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 01:50 PM
So if Calhoun doesn't play then when does he transfer? You know coaches will come calling regardless of whether or not it's against NCAA rules. I know that it doesn't make real sense unless he goes D-2 because after 2009 Brown and more then likely Murray ar gone and Calhoun would be a possible starter as RS-Soph. Still not bad.

ratedrsuperstar
1/15/2009, 01:54 PM
The Heisman is Colt's to lose no matter what Tebow or Bradford does this coming season. If the Horns beat OU again and go to the Big 12 Championship, Colt will win it in a land-slide !!!!

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 01:57 PM
Whose Colt gonna throw to? Kirkendoll, Shipley and who else? Irby?

Dan Thompson
1/15/2009, 02:25 PM
Shipley is a senior. Check out their roster, which lists him as a senior.

soonervegas
1/15/2009, 02:36 PM
I can tell you right now as of January 15th 2009 that the Heisman has already been decided for next year. It's not a race...it's a coronation.

fadada1
1/15/2009, 02:40 PM
the 2010 heisman race should be great.

honestly, it'll be tebow's to lose - based on the slurping noises coming out of bristol, cn. mccoy wins it based on the whining noises coming out of austin.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/15/2009, 02:43 PM

Shipley was given an extra year of eligibility a while back

ouleaf
1/15/2009, 03:03 PM
With the depth we have a RB, there is just no way DM wins the heisman. He really isn't guy that our offense runs through, like AD was after Jason White left. I love it when he is out there for us, but I really hope the coaches are smart about not letting him on the field until he is absolutely 100%. We have more than capable players to fill his shoes.

I think Sam's chances at winning a heisman depend on how well of a chemistry he is able to get going with the relatively new WR corp. Of course he has Jermaine out there as a safety....but Sam needs to have confidence in his WRs to put up better numbers than last year.

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 03:06 PM

Shipley was given a medical redshirt and will be back next year.

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2009, 03:20 PM
With the depth we have a RB, there is just no way DM wins the heisman. He really isn't guy that our offense runs through...

I have to disagree. I think DM is the single biggest reason our no-huddle was so dangerous and his absence was a huge boost to UF. The no--huddle would disallow the defense from inserting situation player packages. If they were stuck with their run D, we had a mis-match if DM split out wide. Likewise if they were in coverage and we switched to a power run formation. DM was also good catching passes out of the backfield for another twist. Chris Brown just wasn't that dangerous catching passes. I don't see DM a heisman type either because we won't get that many touches - but we really need a versatile back like that.

Breadburner
1/15/2009, 03:25 PM
I like DM but Chris Brown is the man...He quietly gets it done......Like I have said before he reminds me of a back that played for the Bills...

Soonersince57
1/15/2009, 03:52 PM
Referees created instant replay so they could admire Tim Tebow more than once.

ratedrsuperstar
1/15/2009, 04:10 PM
I like DM but Chris Brown is the man...He quietly gets it done......Like I have said before he reminds me of a back that played for the Bills...

He does kind of run like Joe Burns !

JLEW1818
1/16/2009, 01:49 PM

that was my first thought

oubose
1/16/2009, 11:48 PM
Yeh, they had to give Shipley one more year since colt was stay'n, if Shipley left there would be no one to go bass fish'n with colt and god knows what else those two are into.

BOOMER SOONER!!!

The Remnant
1/16/2009, 11:50 PM
Sam is focused on one thing next year, and it ain't the Heisman.

KingDavid
1/17/2009, 12:06 AM
There is no way to know who will win anything at this point. There will be favorites but that's about it.

Not at all. That was truly profound.

KingDavid
1/17/2009, 12:13 AM
I can tell you right now as of January 15th 2009 that the Heisman has already been decided for next year. It's not a race...it's a coronation.

I would have to agree with this. The only thing that keeps Tebow from getting a second trophy is a significant injury or if they find pictures of him naked with a 14 year old boy.

Bradford could beat his own numbers from this year by 10% and it wouldn't matter.

If McCoy repeats his performance and gets them into the championship (sorry: not gonna happen), he might make it close, but he'll lose.

Let's face it, folks. We're in for 8 months of a Tebow-love-fest next year.

Where can I launch this next batch of vomit?

Sooner70
1/17/2009, 08:37 AM
History shows repeats unlikely, but you never know. I'd say Colt has inside shot based on 9/11 returning on Whorns offensive team & how he placed last year in balloting. The only thing that could sidetrack that (& it could very well happen) is if Texas gets derailed in RRR come October, or somewhere else along the way. If OU is able to pull off another Big 12 Championship & get a shot at NC, then Sam might have a shot--but it's so very difficult to repeat on this one.

1/17/2009, 10:27 AM
I just checked the roster... good LORD we have some monsters on the OL coming up. My vote is for one of the big guys! I'm thinking Sam wouldn't have returned if he wasn't confident in OUr OL.

I know it would never happen, but how cool would it be to have an offensive guard or tackle in Heisman Park?

SOONER STEAKER
1/17/2009, 10:39 AM
I would bet all the money that you have that every OU player would opt out of all the individual awards to bring home the Trophy at the end of the season, the BCS NC Trophy.

Anyone want to give me their money now? :eek: :D

goingoneight
1/18/2009, 07:36 PM
Tebow has this thing in his back pocket already. Come on, people... barring injury... do you really see anyone other than Tim winning this thing? He's deserving of good things, don't get me wrong... but this reeks of a Troy Smith-kinda Heisman.

OUmillenium
1/20/2009, 10:33 AM
I was thinking right after Sam was announced as the 2008 Heisman winner that Colt would be the hands down favorite for 2009. Then came this ridiculous media worship for Tebow. Now I think that Colt is gonna get hosed out of the Heisman even if he puts up better numbers than this year and Tebow loses a game again. I would not mind Colt winning it. I hate Texass but he is a tough, fairly classy player who shows great leadership.

Who's the best best qb of the 3? Sam no doubt. But the media love will go to the other 2. That's fine. We need to win #8 next year and avoiding the Heisman distraction can only help us.

KingDavid
1/20/2009, 05:33 PM
how cool would it be to have an offensive guard or tackle in Heisman Park?

About as cool as finding a bottle with a real-live genie inside of it.

And about as likely, I'm afraid.

I can't think of a time an offensive lineman has even finished in the top 5 for voting. Can anyone else?

SoonersEnFuego
1/20/2009, 06:01 PM
They'll be focusing on QB at OU unless we start handing it off 75% of the time. I don't think it'll happen.

Sam the man will be in there.

ouwasp
1/20/2009, 08:20 PM
you older posters may remember the cover of the '79 Sports Ill. college football preview...had Billy Sims and Charles White grappling over the trophy, saying "Hey, that's my Heisman!"

I bet Slingin' Sam and Saint Tebow will be in a similar shot next summer.

8 long months from now...

richsooner
1/20/2009, 09:16 PM
Murray is a lot like AD. Accident prone. Can't stay healthy for an entire year. You can't win a heisman in half a year.................................