PDA

View Full Version : Joe Schad's 2009 preseason top 4

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 11:21 AM
1.Florida
2.USC
3.OU
4.Texas

I believe this was his ranking yesterday on Sportscenter. I think with Sanchez going pro and the fact that USC loses 7 starters, but not Taylor Mays on defense he would have to drop them to like 8.

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2009, 11:29 AM
Schad's the same guy that kept saying that Bradford would be the #1 pick in the draft and apparently, that wasn't the feedback Sam got from the real pros. Schad was also positive that Gresham would declare for the NFL.

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 11:38 AM
I know but he's the only guy that I've seen talk about next years rankings and he's got us ahead of Texas and potentially #2 so he's my new best friend.

achiro
1/15/2009, 11:41 AM
"Herbie" had the same preseason rankings. I don't understand the love for USC, they lose 8-9 of 11 starters on defense and more than likely their QB. Not sure who else goes on O but good LORD!?!?!? Then most of their "tough" conference games are away and there is no way anyone that knows anything about football should be putting them at #2.:rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2009, 11:48 AM
A lot of times rankings are based on schedule and reputation as much as anticipated team. USC has won or shared the Pac10 like 7 or 8 times in a row. But as much as USC owns the Pac10, it has always been some big underdog conference team that knocks them out of the MNC to last 3 years.

kssoonerfan7
1/15/2009, 11:53 AM
"Herbie" had the same preseason rankings. I don't understand the love for USC, they lose 8-9 of 11 starters on defense and more than likely their QB. Not sure who else goes on O but good LORD!?!?!? Then most of their "tough" conference games are away and there is no way anyone that knows anything about football should be putting them at #2.:rolleyes:

it is on reputation but its probably not a far fetched ranking. Whenever they lose guys they just run the next all american out there.

MojoRisen
1/15/2009, 11:56 AM
QB is going to be an issue for them, Aaron Corp or Mitch Mustain will have growing pains... I don't think Mustain is that good either.

They will loose right out of the gate in Columbus- I have no doubts.

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 12:24 PM
Matt Barkley will be for sure ahead of Mustain and possibly the starter. Mustain should've stayed at Arkansas. I think the rankings were with Snachez there. Without him they are probably a lil above average. Oregon 2009 Pac-10 Champs. They were young and they bring back quite a few pieces. Not sure but I think they go to USC. Not that that matter because a weak Stanford team beat USC at home 2 years ago. They will really be hurting at LB next year they lose Maualuga, Cushing and Matthews.

IBleedCrimson
1/15/2009, 02:57 PM
They will really be hurting at LB next year the lose Maualuga, Cushing and Matthews.

this

aero
1/15/2009, 03:46 PM

There's just as much reason for love of USC as there is us. They're got talent and are going to get more, just like us. I've got no problem with teams ranked ahead of us. How many teams were ranked ahead of us in 2000? Until we PROVE ourselves again in a bowl, people can talk what they want. We'll either prove them an azzhat or prove them right.

Collier11
1/15/2009, 04:04 PM
Herbie just had us #2 now behind florida

Soonersince57
1/15/2009, 04:08 PM

Can you imagine if Tebow played for USC? Good lord, the commentators would have to change their pants every time they were mentioned. ;)

OklahomaTuba
1/15/2009, 04:16 PM
We have a great shot at Pasadena if we can get past texass and Tech.

The Maestro
1/15/2009, 04:18 PM
BUT USC WON THE ROSE BOWL AND THAT IS SUCH A HUGE GAME!!!!

Must be nice to play your bowl game 11 miles from home while the not-so-great other team is 2,000 miles away.

USC has some big holes to fill...game at Cal next year and Ohio State look interesting.

IronHorseSooner
1/15/2009, 04:39 PM
We have a great shot at Pasadena if we can get past texass and Tech.

I wouldn't worry much about Tech. Nebbish or KU has a better shot against us next year than Tech. BYU and Miami are interesting games. Once again, if are in the mix, OUr strength of schedule next year will help. The ACC stinks, but Miami has just as good of a shot to do what Cincy did this year in the Big East.

TXBOOMER
1/15/2009, 05:03 PM
If we take care of all OUr bidnass next year, we will get another shot at the Gators on a truly neutral field and they'll get to see the Demarco Murray show.

TXBOOMER
1/15/2009, 05:06 PM
The ACC stinks, but Miami has just as good of a shot to do what Cincy did this year in the Big East.

Agree they'll get to get their a$$es kicked by OU early in the season, win their conference and go to a BCS bowl.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/15/2009, 06:07 PM
Matt Barkley will be for sure ahead of Mustain and possibly the starter. Mustain should've stayed at Arkansas.

I still believe USC was the absolutely wrong school for Mustain to transfer to. He would've been much better off going to Tulsa and be reunited with Malzahn or a similar school than get lost in the shuffle at a school like USC.

Desert Sapper
1/15/2009, 06:41 PM
Didn't Mustain win every game he started at Arkansas? 8-0 or something? I admit, I'm much more interested to see what Mallet does at Tulsa. That kid looked like the real deal in the AAA game a few years ago. Meatchicken totally hosed him. I don't think he should have had to sit out, what with 'RichRod' installing the spread option there.

bcgvh
1/15/2009, 06:45 PM
No way USC is going to return that strong.

soonermagic14
1/15/2009, 06:49 PM
We play BYU and Miami in non conference this year but....I think texass has a tougher non conference schedule which should help them for BCS purposes (or as Joe Pa says BSC)...right?

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 07:04 PM
Louisian-Monroe, Wyoming, Central Florida and UTEP. I pray you're kidding.

soonermagic14
1/15/2009, 07:05 PM
shoot man they're tough...I wish we could play a school from OUr own school system (UT-El Paso).

swardboy
1/15/2009, 08:07 PM
shoot man they're tough...I wish we could play a school from OUr own school system (UT-El Paso).

Altus School of the Blind?

bluedogok
1/15/2009, 10:08 PM
No way USC is going to return that strong.
With their schedule, they may not have to.....

USC Football 2009 Schedule
Sept. 5 San Jose State
Sept. 12 @ Ohio State
Sept. 19 @ Washington
Sept. 26 Washington State
Oct. 3 @ California
Oct. 10 Arizona
Oct. 17 @ Notre Dame
Oct. 24 Oregon State
Oct. 31 @ Oregon
Nov. 7 @ Arizona State
Nov. 14 Stanford
Nov. 28 UCLA

If they past the Buckeyes in Columbus, they will be set until the possible one game they don't show up for like they have for the past few seasons.

achiro
1/15/2009, 10:35 PM
There's just as much reason for love of USC as there is us. They're got talent and are going to get more, just like us. I've got no problem with teams ranked ahead of us. How many teams were ranked ahead of us in 2000? Until we PROVE ourselves again in a bowl, people can talk what they want. We'll either prove them an azzhat or prove them right.

I meant the love that folks were showing them in these preseason polls. I explained why they are wrong in those assesments. I understand the overall love shown for the program.

soonerfan28
1/16/2009, 11:19 AM
Is it possible that Notre Dame beats USC next year?

JLEW1818
1/16/2009, 01:43 PM
this will be the hardest schedule any usc player has played .... now that its been updated i'm going with this

1) Florida
2) Texas
3) Oklahoma
4) USC
5) LSU

JLEW1818
1/16/2009, 01:44 PM
Is it possible that Notre Dame beats USC next year?

it will be a game. the real question is can the pokes beat texas? finally

Scotty
1/16/2009, 01:52 PM
it will be a game. the real question is can the pokes beat texas? finally

This might be the best team aggie has ever fielded. If they get up for :texan: half as much as they do for us when we go to stillwater, this might be the year they actually pull off a W.

That being said, I think they had a better chance beating us last year than they do when they have to come into norman this year.

JLEW1818
1/16/2009, 01:55 PM
yah no way they get us in norman

Scotty
1/16/2009, 01:59 PM
did some research on the pokes

Their home games for next year

Georgia
Rice
Grambling State
Missouri
Texas
Tech
Colorado

Away games
Iowa State
aTm
us
TBD

They should be favored to win every game except maybe georgia, texas, and us

Next years game in norman might have a little bit more at stake then last years in stillwater.

Collier11
1/16/2009, 02:05 PM
5-2 at home and 4-1 on the road, 9-3 for their best season evar!

Crucifax Autumn
1/16/2009, 10:29 PM
Those a-holes will lose to Grambling, then declare themselves the greatest team in Oklahoma.

The Remnant
1/17/2009, 12:06 AM
I also don't get SC rated so high. Will the NCAA please drop the hammer on them.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/17/2009, 12:13 AM
As always, I'll be pulling for The Whorns up in Stoolwater. Hump 'em back, Whorns !

PLaw
1/17/2009, 12:22 AM
Before reading this from Schad, I was talking to a SoCali friend this morning. With Sanchez leaving and graduation, he believes SC is in for a "reloading" year and looks for UO to win the P-10.

BOOMER

PLaw
1/17/2009, 12:24 AM
I also don't get SC rated so high. Will the NCAA please drop the hammer on them.

I've come to the belief that this ain't gonna happen and Petey will walk scot-free from the Reggie transgressions

BOOMER

Desert Sapper
1/17/2009, 12:27 AM
did some research on the pokes

Their home games for next year

Georgia
Rice
Grambling State
Missouri
Texas
Tech
Colorado

Away games
Iowa State
aTm
us
TBD

They should be favored to win every game except maybe georgia, texas, and us

Next years game in norman might have a little bit more at stake then last years in stillwater.

With all that UGA loses, they may actually stand a chance to go 6-1 or even :eek: 7-0 at home next year. I concur with the claim that this will be the best Poke team ever fielded.

KingDavid
1/17/2009, 02:51 AM
Louisian-Monroe, Wyoming, Central Florida and UTEP. I pray you're kidding.

To Texas' credit, they did make an effort to get Wisconsin on the schedule but Wisconsin wouldn't go for waiting until 2014 for the return home-game.

JLEW1818
1/17/2009, 01:20 PM
usc will always be ranked top 5 to start the season, to much talent

bluedogok
1/17/2009, 01:48 PM
To Texas' credit, they did make an effort to get Wisconsin on the schedule but Wisconsin wouldn't go for waiting until 2014 for the return home-game.
Yep, there was an article in The Statesman about it earlier this week.

Austin American Statesman - Texas unsuccessful in effort to beef up non-conference schedule (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/01/15//0115texfoot.html)
By Kirk Bohls
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, January 15, 2009

Texas' nonconference football schedule is booked up through the 2014 season, but the Longhorns recently considered a change in this year's slate with a potential date against Wisconsin and will explore the possibility of playing Notre Dame again, a Texas school official said Wednesday.

At the behest of ESPN, Texas had agreed to shift its game against Central Florida, set for Sept. 19, to a future year and substitute Wisconsin onto this year's schedule, but the schools couldn't arrange a return date to Madison, Wis., until 2013 and the proposal died.

"Every year ESPN throws out potential games to play in its September window," said Butch Worley, Texas' senior associate athletic director who handles the football scheduling. "They threw out several options. Some of them were attractive; some of them were not so. None of them materialized. Wisconsin was one of the names on the list."

The Longhorns' nonconference schedule remains unchanged; they'll play Louisiana-Monroe, Central Florida and Texas-El Paso at home and at Wyoming this season.

A series with Notre Dame is a possibility for a future season, Worley said.

"We'll probably roll something out there in their direction," Worley said. "We'd certainly think about it. We're not (officially) talking, but they have a new athletic director, and it's probably something we'll explore. But it probably will not be for seven, eight or nine years out."

Notre Dame associate athletic director John Heisler said no games with Texas are currently in the works. A date to play Baylor in the Dallas area was prevented by a Big 12 television contract rule.

Previously, Texas had tried to schedule Notre Dame, but the Irish wanted a marquee game in October or November and the Longhorns preferred dates in September.

If Texas-Notre Dame is scheduled, it could be played at the universities' home stadiums or at neutral site, such as the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington, Worley said. "We'd probably look at either option," he said

UT begins a two-year series with UCLA in 2010 and another with Ole Miss in 2012. After facing Arkansas in Austin this season, the Longhorns owe the Razorbacks a return trip, and that has been set for 2014.

Texas' less-than-attractive nonconference slate next fall could hurt it in the Bowl Championship Series standings. Last year, though, Texas' strength of schedule ranked 14th nationally in USA Today's Sagarin ratings, largely on the merits of the strength of the Big 12.

That might have been bolstered if a three-game series with Utah had not fallen through. Texas and Utah had a "letter agreement" in 2000 on a series that would have played two games in Austin in 2007 and 2009 with an away game in Salt Lake City in 2008.

"Before we got to the formal contract phase, Utah decided not to do it," Worley said. "They indicated they'd rather not play."

Utah finished 13-0 as the only unbeaten Division I-A football team in the country and was No. 2 behind BCS champion Florida in the final Associated Press poll. The Utes might have benefited from a game with Texas, because their strength of schedule was 56th, according to Sagarin. Texas and Utah have not talked about any dates since.

Spring dates set

The Longhorns will return to the practice fields on Feb. 27. Their spring scrimmage is set for Sunday, April 5. Teams are allowed 15 spring practices.

soonerfan28
1/17/2009, 09:53 PM
Man they are trying to schedule some tough games. Notre Dame has proven to be tough the last two year with something like 15 losses over that span.

Jdog
1/17/2009, 10:21 PM
I hope Stoops will get the fans up for Texas next year the way he did with Tech this last year.