PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help in Tulsa

Skysooner
1/15/2009, 11:16 AM
I have a 1.5 year old Dell desktop that was built for gaming. It has Vista (most likely the big problem), a big harddrive and 2 GB of Ram. I have found that in the last 6 months or so that after playing World of Warcraft, the video framing seems to freeze up quite a bit until I reboot. I defragment the hard drive once a week, and I clear the caches on all users every couple of weeks.

I'm currently using the McAfee firewall and virus program. I do not think it regularly scans for spyware which I think might be the issue (even though I'm clearing cookies). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tweaking up the performance or what kind of spyware program would work well for this.

I have another high performance system that I keep in Dallas (I commute back and forth) that has Trend Micro Security on it that does scan for spyware), and it seems to be doing much better. Of course part of the issue might be that my wife uses the other one more than I do (although on a user name that does not have admin rights).

Tulsa_Fireman
1/15/2009, 11:37 AM
Verify you're on up to date video drivers. Once that's done, have your mechanic put the 750 cfm four barrel on it. With that, a set of over the counter headers and an oil change, you should be good to go.

JohnnyMack
1/15/2009, 11:50 AM
Stop playing WoW and go for a walk. After it warms up of course.

Flagstaffsooner
1/15/2009, 11:53 AM
Dude, you got a Dell!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/15/2009, 12:10 PM
get rid of the McAfee

yermom
1/15/2009, 12:38 PM
how are the fans?

soonerboomer93
1/15/2009, 02:59 PM
I have a 1.5 year old Dell desktop that was built for gaming. It has Vista (most likely the big problem), a big harddrive and 2 GB of Ram. I have found that in the last 6 months or so that after playing World of Warcraft, the video framing seems to freeze up quite a bit until I reboot. I defragment the hard drive once a week, and I clear the caches on all users every couple of weeks.

I'm currently using the McAfee firewall and virus program. I do not think it regularly scans for spyware which I think might be the issue (even though I'm clearing cookies). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tweaking up the performance or what kind of spyware program would work well for this.

I have another high performance system that I keep in Dallas (I commute back and forth) that has Trend Micro Security on it that does scan for spyware), and it seems to be doing much better. Of course part of the issue might be that my wife uses the other one more than I do (although on a user name that does not have admin rights).

You're using crap AV/Firewall software

if you have an nVidia card, that's most likey. It's a driver issue from nVidia. Vista makes a call to unload the video ram to increase performance, but there's a problem with the drivers reading it.

Also try running in windowed mode. Vista will actually perform better windowed in some circumstances and with some games.

OU-HSV
1/15/2009, 07:44 PM
get rid of the McAfee

That aint no shat.
I second this motion.

BudSooner
1/15/2009, 07:55 PM
McAfee may be slowing it down but it's better than Norton, sorta.
But what the hell do I know, I use AVG free.

OU-HSV
1/15/2009, 08:24 PM
McAfee may be slowing it down but it's better than Norton, sorta.
But what the hell do I know, I use AVG free.

I also use AVG free, thanks to the advice given to me by some of you fellow Soonerfans. AVG is good.