PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to Rueben Randle

KingDavid
1/14/2009, 07:17 PM
Dear Rueben Randle,

Here we are on a day of unprecedented magnitude for OU football, and perhaps all of college football, when three Grade 1 underclassmen (Bradford, Gresham, McCoy) have uniformly elected to forego the draft and come back and seek a national championship. Has that ever happened before? Anywhere?

Perhaps you wrote us off after the loss to Florida. I don't blame you. Perhaps you questioned our prospects for returning to the Big Show. But what does this announcement tell you, my man, about where we're planning to be next year? Have you sent a text to Sam yet? Maybe you should . . .

For now, I ask you this: are you not READY TO COME TO NORMAN?!?

Or . . . do you go want to go somewhere where the offenses are archaic and average a pedestrian 60 offensive plays/game? Rather than coming here where the offense runs almost 80 plays/game? That's 20 more touches to spread amongst an offensive roster filled with gifted athletes. How many of those 80 plays will go to you?

Do you want to go somewhere with an offense in transition and no proven quarterback . . . or how about this instead: how about catching laser-like spirals from the reigning Heisman Trophy winner?

Do you want to go into a conference with inferior offenses (SEC) that will diminish your opportunities to showcase your talent? Or would you like to come play in the Big XII amongst some of the most advanced, innovative schemes in the country, and come play in the conference that produced all six of both the Mackey Award finalists AND the Belitnikov finalists in 2008, and the same conference that has produced the Belitnikov winner for that last two years running?

Are you ready to come line up every day across from - and be challenged by - what will be one of the best and most improved, and most experienced defenses in the country next year, a defense sure to include no less than 6 players that will be on pre-season watchlists for national defensive awards? Are you ready to test and develop your skills against that type of competition?

Are you ready to line up in an offense that will force defensive coordinators, through a superior system operated by immense off-the-field minds and world-class on-the-field talent, to think long and hard about trying to double-team you . . . out of fear of being exposed by the likes of Demarco Murray out of the backfield, or Ryan Broyles in the slot, or best of all, Jermaine Gresham flexed out wide on the opposite side of the field . . . not to mention the emergence of the next great WR star from the likes of Blue Chip recruits like Jameel Owens, Dejuan Miller, Brandon Caleb, or others? . . . And all of those weapons at the command of the Quarterback who might very well be remembered as the most saavy, accurate, and efficient passer in the history of college football?

Do you think you have what it takes to be the #1 WR target and the top deep threat on the best offense in the history of the game? Or do you need to work under the safe shadow of a Julio Jones in an offense that had trouble getting HIM the ball, much less the #2 man? Or in the low expectation (and thus safer) environment that LSU will supply, not unlike the rest of the SEC with the exception of Florida and perhaps Ole Miss. Consider the fact that of the 38 times that the Alabama QB dropped back to pass against Utah, almost 25% of the time, not only did the football never leave the pocket . . . but furthermore, neither did the quarterback! Dude! That just can't be good for the morale of a WR like you who will be working like a fiend to run a true route and get in a position to receive the ball.

And there's still more . . .

Are you up to the task - can you take the heat!?! - of playing next year in what is certain to be the most anticipated regular-season college football game in the last decade, the Red River Shoot-out against Texas? How will you perform in that game, the game more so than any other regular season game that will be played next year - that is most likely to determine at least one of the teams to play in next year's national championship game? (Think about it, man! Would you rather take your chances that somehow LSU or Alabama will manage to piece together enough of a team to beat the long SEC odds and get to the national championship game? Here's a hint, Rueben: if you really are committed to staying in the SEC and want the best chance to play for all the marbles next year, you probably need to re-open your shortlist to a team wearing blue and orange.)

When you get in that National Championship game with us, Rueben, will it be YOU who has the chance to haul in a perfectly thrown deep post ball thrown by slinging-Sammy? Will YOU be able to bring that ball back to your chest before a stingy defensive back steals it away? Will YOU be the difference-maker we need in the Rose bowl?

Think about it, Rueben!

Think hard!

You can become that man. You can seize a destiny and build a legacy here that will be better, stronger, and last longer than anything you can do anywhere else.

Come to Norman, Reuben! There's never been a better time.

COME BE A SOONER, BABY! You know where to sign!

Yours truly,

KingDavid

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/14/2009, 07:38 PM
Wow, where is my letter of intent?????

MojoRisen
1/14/2009, 07:46 PM
Throw in the Cadi ???? Just kidding that was pretty darn good pitch!

pappy
1/14/2009, 08:43 PM
put it in the mail! or email!

LRoss
1/14/2009, 11:08 PM
Well I'm convinced.

Of course, I'm also a Sooner fan.

And I'm also 5'11" 145. And slow. And too old.

OklahomaTuba
1/15/2009, 10:32 AM
I think I will have a Rueben for lunch.

OUmillenium
1/15/2009, 01:02 PM
There is only 1...Oklahoma.

rainiersooner
1/16/2009, 03:58 PM
King David - I think there's a job for you on the Sooner football team!

TopDawg
1/16/2009, 06:19 PM
Recruits don't read letters anymore. You're going to need to text that.

Rueben,

Here we R on a big day 4 OU fb, & m/b all clg fb, when 3 gr8 underclassmen (Brad4d, Gresh, McCoy) all sed NOTHX 2 da draft...

KingDavid
1/16/2009, 11:51 PM

classic.

"An Open Text Message to Rueben Randle"

Is there such a thing as an Open Text Message?

I'll be it's expensive to have that on your phone plan . . .

LSUdeek
1/17/2009, 11:39 PM
Do you want to go into a conference with inferior offenses (SEC) that will diminish your opportunities to showcase your talent? Or would you like to come play in the Big XII amongst some of the most advanced, innovative schemes in the country, and come play in the conference that produced all six of both the Mackey Award finalists AND the Belitnikov finalists in 2008, and the same conference that has produced the Belitnikov winner for that last two years running?

It's Biletnikoff, and Florida held your advanced and innovative scheme to 14 points after averaging 60 in your previous three outings. I'd say it's pretty much now a foregone conclusion that it isn't the SEC offenses that suck, it's the Big 2 defenses. What made it o so worse is that I was pulling for OU to win that effing game.

And all of those weapons at the command of the Quarterback who might very well be remembered as the most saavy, accurate, and efficient passer in the history of college football?

Maybe I'm just pissed at the Pratt situation, but Bradford will be remembered as just another in a long line of Heisman Trophy winning QB's to lose the national championship game and go on to do nothing in the NFL.

Or in the low expectation (and thus safer) environment that LSU will supply, not unlike the rest of the SEC

:confused:

SEC fanbases have collectively the highest expectations in football. The two longest tenured coaches in the league... one having a BCS national championship and the other having an undefeated season under their belts were fired after this past season.

(Think about it, man! Would you rather take your chances that somehow LSU or Alabama will manage to piece together enough of a team to beat the long SEC odds and get to the national championship game? Here's a hint, Rueben: if you really are committed to staying in the SEC and want the best chance to play for all the marbles next year, you probably need to re-open your shortlist to a team wearing blue and orange.)

Considering that the last 3 BCS CHampionship games and the last 4 of 6 were won by SEC teams, 2 by Florida and 2 by LSU.... not to mention Alabama possibly having the chance to represent the SEC in the BCS game by virtue of beating Florida in the SEC championship game, it seems silly to argue that LSU or Alabama couldn't possibly get there. If OU is a shoo-in to appear in the game again, that speaks more to the futility of the Big 2 conference rather than the toughness of the SEC.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/18/2009, 01:14 AM
It's Biletnikoff, and Florida held your advanced and innovative scheme to 14 points after averaging 60 in your previous three outings. I'd say it's pretty much now a foregone conclusion that it isn't the SEC offenses that suck, it's the Big 2 defenses. What made it o so worse is that I was pulling for OU to win that effing game.

Maybe I'm just pissed at the Pratt situation, but Bradford will be remembered as just another in a long line of Heisman Trophy winning QB's to lose the national championship game and go on to do nothing in the NFL.

:confused:

SEC fanbases have collectively the highest expectations in football. The two longest tenured coaches in the league... one having a BCS national championship and the other having an undefeated season under their belts were fired after this past season.

Considering that the last 3 BCS CHampionship games and the last 4 of 6 were won by SEC teams, 2 by Florida and 2 by LSU.... not to mention Alabama possibly having the chance to represent the SEC in the BCS game by virtue of beating Florida in the SEC championship game, it seems silly to argue that LSU or Alabama couldn't possibly get there. If OU is a shoo-in to appear in the game again, that speaks more to the futility of the Big 2 conference rather than the toughness of the SEC.Tigerbaitsbeus.org needs you back. you can talk to your own recruits over there.

KingDavid
1/18/2009, 01:42 AM
Deek, I feel really bad for you, knowing the high expectations of the LSU program, that Les Miles' wrecklessness coupled with the collapse of just about every other team last year somehow allowed LSU to stumble into a championship while under his reigns.

You are going to be stuck with Lester for probably five more years before everyone in your otherwise excellent football program realizes that Coach Miles is nothing more than a big ole bag of red-necked bravado who had an uncommon run of luck, which luck included the use of the prior coach's exceptional recruits.

"Search your feelings, Luke. You know this to be true."

Dude, I'm truly sorry. I like the LSU program, in general. Probably my favorite SEC team. But you all are in for a long road (see Phil Fulmer & Tennessee), my friend.

rainiersooner
1/18/2009, 01:54 AM
What do people think our chances are of getting this kid? There are a lot of tangible reasons he might choose OU - are there any intangibles pulling him to us, or to someone else?

KingDavid
1/18/2009, 02:11 AM
What do people think our chances are of getting this kid? There are a lot of tangible reasons he might choose OU - are there any intangibles pulling him to us, or to someone else?

The general consensus is that it will be a long-shot. Bradford staying maybe left us with a ray of hope. Very tough to pull a kid out of SEC country when he's being recruited as heavily as he is.

There is still hope, though. If the kid looks at the facts of what will serve him best in terms of a career, I think we'd have to have a very good shot, given the opportunity he has to come in and compete for a starting spot right away.

But there are other forces at work - like family that would like to stay close (read: LSU).

Hella Sideburns
1/18/2009, 02:37 AM

**** this made me laugh so hard

Desert Sapper
1/18/2009, 05:18 PM
I hope Bob used some of the same language the last time he talked to him. This kid will be an asset if he comes here. He'll be watching us compete for a conference and national title if he doesn't. None of the other teams he has on his list will be competing for a championship of any kind next year.

LSU = Jordan Jefferson? Bradford had 10 times the passing yardage and more than 10 times the TDs.
Bama = New QB in '09.
Miami = New QB in '09.
Ole Miss = Uh, well, Snead is good, but, c'mon...it's Ole Miss.

As far as contenders in the SEC, UF is it next year, and they know it. If Randle has a brain, he'll come here. It's the perfect situation. Proven QB, OU coming off a year with 2 #2 WR, not a single NFL-level #1. Defense to take off the pressure. Big XII Defenses (with the exception of UT) will not have the cover corners to contain somebody with this level of talent. Plenty of national exposure. He'd be a fool to go anywhere else, but we said that to Julio Jones and he didn't listen either.

My guess is that Randle stays home. He doesn't say it in the article below, but 'no, not really' to the question of narrowing his choices to LSU and Bama doesn't tell me he's really still considering the three other schools (Miami, Ole Miss, and OU), either.

http://www.bastropenterprise.com/sports/x1017440197/Randle-discusses-recruiting

KingDavid
1/18/2009, 11:59 PM
His father indicated that OU, LSU, and Alabama are the top three. I would expect a decision sometime after his official to LSU next weekend.

My money is on LSU.

But hey, maybe this is our year? Last year we rolled snake eyes after the bowl loss: we lose three underclassmen who all should have stayed. And then we lose Julio Jones after getting down to his top two.

This year, it seems like things have been going the other way. We kept all four NFL draft prospects, three of which with 1st round grades who probably should have gone. Who knows, maybe we hit the jackpot and RR goes to OU? Crazier things have already happened this year . . .

Desert Sapper
1/19/2009, 12:12 AM
At the very least, it's encouraging that he has us in his top 3. I really hope Sam coming back was all he needed. Although, if a top notch QB to sling him the rock is what he was looking for, Bama and LSU wouldn't have been in his top anything. We'd be fending off UF and UT for his services. I just see it as a stretch that we pull him in, much like Julio last year. Everybody in his community has probably been pumping him with LSU all year. Either that made him sick of hearing it, or he'll go there just to shut them up. I'm hoping for the former, but guessing the latter.

If he goes to Bama, it's Julio Jones begging him to give defenses somebody else to key on and it's Nick Saban silver tonguing (at which, I sincerely doubt there are many better).

Here's to Rueben thinking about beautifully accurate throws allowing him to make the best of all that real estate after the catch. The possibilities are endless if he makes the choice we all want him to make.

MojoRisen
1/19/2009, 10:43 AM
Based on an interview he gave, our Tangiables are definitely the strongest case for him to come to OU. Immediate Playing time, big time QB, National exposure every week, chance for a Tittle immediately.

It seemed like he was putting LSU in a negative light with the fan base offering him money to play at LSU.

Neither School is going to get the best out of him in his Freshman year, which seems pretty important too him.

If staying home out weighs what he list's as most important, well impossible to compete with that- however I think he would have narrowed his list to SEC teams only.

SeattleOUstudent
1/19/2009, 01:35 PM
Oh, and dont start making rap videos about guns and shooting people. TIA

LSUdeek
1/20/2009, 02:43 PM
Deek, I feel really bad for you, knowing the high expectations of the LSU program, that Les Miles' wrecklessness coupled with the collapse of just about every other team last year somehow allowed LSU to stumble into a championship while under his reigns.

There's no question that we needed a lot of things to go right in order to win the championship in 2007. However, our two overtime losses during that season were squarely on the shoulders of a defense that gave up 43 and 50+ points. We've remedied that this offseason.

You are going to be stuck with Lester for probably five more years before everyone in your otherwise exceptional program realizes that he is nothing more than a big ole bag of red-necked bravado that had an uncommon run of luck, which luck included the use of the prior coach's exceptional recruits.

I heard it all on this board, especially the above. I was told more than once that Coach Miles would never even sniff the conference championship game while at LSU.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Search your feelings, Luke." You know this to be true.

Dude, I'm truly sorry. I like the LSU program, in general. Probably my favorite SEC team. But you all are in for a long road (see Phil Fulmer & Tennessee), my friend.

Both coaches are program CEO's rather than active on a particular side of the ball. The difference between Miles and Fulmer is that he's

1) shown a willingness to clean house when it's necessary.
2) helped these guys to get a job rather than outright firing them.

Mallory followed him from the pokes and Peveto's been on staff since he got here.

KingDavid
1/20/2009, 05:20 PM
There's no question that we needed a lot of things to go right in order to win the championship in 2007. However, our two overtime losses during that season were squarely on the shoulders of a defense that gave up 43 and 50+ points. We've remedied that this offseason.

I heard it all on this board, especially the above. I was told more than once that Coach Miles would never even sniff the conference championship game while at LSU.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Both coaches are program CEO's rather than active on a particular side of the ball. The difference between Miles and Fulmer is that he's

1) shown a willingness to clean house when it's necessary.
2) helped these guys to get a job rather than outright firing them.

Mallory followed him from the pokes and Peveto's been on staff since he got here.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It's NOT true! IT CAN'T BE TRUE!," cried young Luke Skywalker.

Vaevictis
1/25/2009, 05:17 AM

I remember having a conversation with some LSU fans after Les was hired.

My comment was: "He'll win a game every season he shouldn't win, and he'll lose a game every season he shouldn't lose. "

I think that's been pretty accurate.

starclassic tama
1/28/2009, 02:03 AM
isn't that every coach in the world?

Sabanball
1/29/2009, 04:55 PM
RR is going to LSU and that is just all there is to it.

KingDavid
1/30/2009, 06:13 PM
I remember having a conversation with some LSU fans after Les was hired.

My comment was: "He'll win a game every season he shouldn't win, and he'll lose a game every season he shouldn't lose. "

I think that's been pretty accurate.

It's not a one to one ratio with Lester, though. He's a 1:2 or 1:1.5 coach at best. For every one game he surprises you, there'll be two that he lets you down, hard.

KingDavid
1/30/2009, 06:14 PM
RR is going to LSU and that is just all there is to it.

Let's just shut down this thread, then.

KingDavid
2/5/2009, 02:54 AM
Dear Rueben Randle,

Here's the deal, man.

We have one returning starter at WR (Ryan Broyles) who'll likely be a pre-season all Big XII selection. We also have three running backs that can work effectively in the slot (Demarco Murray, Mossis Madu, and Justin Johnson). And then we have the top tight end in the nation, who we frequently split out wide or in the slot to get him in space - or really just to get him the ball however and whenever possible.

On top of that, you need to know that we have a couple of uber-talented WR's from last year's recruiting class (Jameel Owens, Dejuan Miller), not to mention some gifted and more experienced upper-classmen in Adron Tunnell, Brandon Caleb, and Corey Wilson . . . all of whom are chomping at the bit to get on the field and start making plays.

And then, of course, we have a couple of very strong recruits coming in from this year's class, including an extremely talented JUCO receiver (Cameron Kenney) who most feel will have a shot to become the next big-time Sooner wide-out.

So dude, we just want to be up front and let you know that you're going to have to compete to get on the field here, and even then, it might be hard to get you the ball with so much talent at the other skill positions. What's more, I gotta let you know that we're building a winner here in Norman, so we just can't afford to go chasing off your potential competition just to make you feel better about the depth chart.

In short, I guess what I'm saying is that you probably would be better off going to some place like LSU.

Yours truly,

KingDavid

FIXED.:D

LSUdeek
2/5/2009, 06:00 PM
It's not a one to one ratio with Lester, though. He's a 1:2 or 1:1.5 coach at best. For every one game he surprises you, there'll be two that he lets you down, hard.

That wasn't the case until this year. I can be happy with 3 consecutive 11 and 2 seasons, 2 BCS Bowls, 1 SEC and 1 MNC.

Les is a prime example of a coach who requires great coordinators to get the job done. He's an excellent motivator and recruiter.

We have one on offense. Not sure if we have ever had /great/ ones on D just yet. Our D sucked last year.

JLEW1818
2/5/2009, 07:05 PM
just beat florida on oct 10th, b/c i know yall will drop a game somewhere