PDA

View Full Version : Who replaces Texas Tech?

8timechamps
1/14/2009, 04:33 PM
Last year it was a three horse race in the Big XII, although the poor pokies wanted so badly to be the forth horse.

With Tech expected to drop off from last year, who is going to pick up the pace?

My initial thinking is Nebraska. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see KSU or Colorado make a run. I do think it'll be a team from the North.

Thoughts?

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2009, 04:50 PM
I don't see another 3-way tie happening ;) I think Texas will be odds-on favorite to win the conference. OU will be a strong second (assuming all the rumors today are true about everyone coming back). OSU should be next followed by whoever emerges from the north. My pick from the north would be NU too, but not a strong pick.

King Crimson
1/14/2009, 04:51 PM
why KSU? Colorado is a year away from being a legit contender but if they can get some recent recruits on campus and some from last year eligible/out of trouble and/or healthy could be pretty salty on D in 2010. next year, i do think CU should (not saying they will) be a factor in the North since they get KU, MU, and Nebraska. If they aren't, it's probably time to cut bait with Hawkins and his WAC staff. it's year 4 and he's still talking about being "young" and "rebuilding the culture"...time to put up or shut up.

scheduling favors CU and NU is likely to have the best D, but i think KU has a chance to be the "best" team in the North.

King Crimson
1/14/2009, 04:52 PM
why KSU? Colorado is a year away from being a legit contender but if they can get some recent recruits on campus and some from last year eligible/out of trouble and/or healthy could be pretty salty on D in 2010. next year, i do think CU should (not saying they will) be a factor in the North since they get KU, MU, and Nebraska. If they aren't, it's probably time to cut bait with Hawkins and his WAC staff. it's year 4 and he's still talking about being "young" and "rebuilding the culture"...time to put up or shut up.

scheduling favors CU and NU is likely to have the best D, but i think KU has a chance to be the "best" team in the North.

ArkanSooner
1/14/2009, 05:23 PM
Don't laugh, but I think the Pokes will.

Nebraska will win the north and finish top 15-20, but UT/OU/OSU will be a three-team race like there was this year, I think.

fadada1
1/14/2009, 05:32 PM
the pokes will do one of two things:

1 - lose early and whine about eleventy billion reasons why they're still a national title contender.

2 - lose late (several times) and continue to complain that they don't get any national recognition.

somehow, we're never surprised at either scenario.

Mac94
1/14/2009, 05:37 PM
If Oklahoma State doesn;t fall apart following an opening game loss to Georgia then thye could. The other three OOC games should be cake walks .... they play at my Aggies but we are in full rebuild mode, host Missouri who will also be rebuilding, host Tech and the Poke - Red Raider series has been home dominated. Their other tough game prior to ending in Norman is hosting Texas. But, it is very possible to see a 9-2 (6-1) Cowboys squad coming into Norman next Novemeber.

soonerfan28
1/14/2009, 06:24 PM
OK-State has a chance to have a good season especially with Moreno and Stafford turning pro. They probably have some really tough noncon games scheduled like Arm Pit State and whoever else will come to Butt Pickers Stadium. They get Texas and Tech at home but they seem to find ways to be up on Texas late and still lose.

JLEW1818
1/14/2009, 06:42 PM
but can they beat texas

soonerfan28
1/14/2009, 06:44 PM
No

XFollower
1/14/2009, 06:45 PM
Well my last mention of Baylor was regarding replacing them with TCU. That didn't go over well with Sic'em, so I'm going to vote for Baylor to replace tech. I know it's a long shot, but I just want to show my respect to Sic'em.

soonerfan28
1/14/2009, 06:50 PM
Can we please have TCU?:D

adoniijahsooner
1/14/2009, 06:51 PM
OSU is an injury to either Bryant, Robinson, and Hunter from being very mediocre. I was surprised to see that one player getting injured made them look completely ordinary.

soonerfan28
1/14/2009, 06:52 PM
With that said who replaces Tech in the south?

JLEW1818
1/14/2009, 06:57 PM
1) OU
2) UT
3) OSU
4)Tech
5)Baylor
6)TAMU

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2009, 08:39 PM
but can they (OSU) beat texas

They might be able to take a 3TD lead into the 4th, but to answer the question. No.

JLEW1818
1/14/2009, 08:40 PM
They might be able to take a 3TD lead into the 4th, but to answer the question. No.

thats how i feel too

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/14/2009, 08:56 PM
If OSU could find anything on defense they could be good. I would say they have the best chance of challenging Texas and OU for the south. As for the north, does it really matter?

StormySooner-IN
1/14/2009, 11:57 PM
oSu will be a legit Big XII contender and a possible MNC contender next year. IT sounds fantasy....but

I think they'll be ranked at least Top 10 next year, maybe Top 5 for preseason. They just need to improve on D a little, and not choke...

OUMallen
1/15/2009, 12:13 AM
OSU is a BIG XII contender but not an MNC contender. No way they beat BOTH OU and UT...but they'll beat one of us....

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2009, 01:13 AM
OU is gonna skip the horseshat and just replace saxet, sand aggie, and themselves and win the 3 way mpd tie. Then, we can just argue amongst ourselves as usual and this time we ALL win, no planes and banners needed.

sooner59
1/15/2009, 01:31 AM
OSU is the only team that has a realistic chance to force a 3-way tie. They probably lose to us in Norman. They have a chance at beating the whorns in Stilly. And Tebow forbid that we don't beat the whorns next year, that would do it. Dont see it happening, but that is the only chance. I think if we beat texas we could go undefeated into the MNC, IMO. I think some are underestimating the quality of linemen that we have waiting to step up this year that didn't see the field due to the quality players ahead of them and lack of injuries on the line. The defense will be solid next year. The group that im interested in watching next year will be the wide receivers. We have Broyles and Gresham (TE) back, but I think the line will be fine and we will be watching the young WRs to see how the season goes. Miller, Caleb, Owens, Tennell, and maybe a spring surprise will all have their shot. Reuban Randle will have a chance to start as a freshman on a MNC-quality team if he chooses us. Should be interesting.

soonerfan28
1/15/2009, 10:19 AM
OSU won't even make it a close game in Norman next year, but they could beat Texas at home. Our defense is going to be very good next year and we are going to have quality depth at every position on D. Our offense will not start the season as a powerful offense but they will be great by the OSU game, so I think OSU has no shot at us in Norman.

Salt City Sooner
1/15/2009, 10:35 AM
OSU is an injury to either Bryant, Robinson, and Hunter from being very mediocre. I was surprised to see that one player getting injured made them look completely ordinary.
I'm certainly no aggie apologist, but if you're referring to the Holiday Bowl, they had 2 major injuries. Bryant tried to one-leg it a good chunk of the game, & Robinson played about 2 1/2 quarters with a separated shoulder, 2 pretty stiff obstacles to overcome, IMO. Point taken about their depth issues, though.

kssoonerfan7
1/15/2009, 01:29 PM
the three best teams will clearly be OU,Texas, and OSU in no particular order. in the north nebraska looks like the team to beat but dont overlook Kansas. They seemed to figure it out towards the end of the year and return almost every key player.