PDA

View Full Version : Why did we lose ? { 3 reasons}

boomermagic
1/14/2009, 03:13 PM
I have not addressed this because It has taken me some time to absorb it all I guess... these are not excuses but there are alway's a reason or reasons we lost.. here IMO are some of those reasons..

1. Home game for Florida { That alone is worth 3- 7 points at least}

2. Granger and Murray.. {Great players who didn't get a chance to contribute}

3. The long layoff effected our offense more than Florida's.. { I truly believe this to be a factor}

soonerfromdetroit
1/14/2009, 03:14 PM
I have not addressed this because It has taken me some time to absorb it all I guess... these are not excuses but there are alway's a reason or reasons we lost.. here IMO are some of those reasons..

3. The long layoff effected our offense more than Florida's.. { I truly believe this to be a factor}

Great points. Id' love to see the Cotton Bowl host the BCS championship.

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2009, 04:01 PM
As with any list on this board, I'll counter with my own list.

1) Not having Murray. Without Murray, UF is a better team because we don't have that player they have to account for on every snap. It opens things up for everyone. If we have Murray, I think the teams are even.

2) Television coverage hurts our offense more than UFs. Lots of delays and commercials. That's no excuse because we know that going in, so we have to overcome it. I think the layoff hit teams evenly because UF looked rusty in the 1st half.

3) Although this is really the most important point - they made the plays and we didn't. Whether it was coaching calls or execution, that is part of the team making plays. We forced 2 turnovers in the 1st half and got the ball back on a roughing the kicker call - UF made their share of mistakes. When we didn't lead at half after those plays, I knew we were in trouble.

Hot Rod
1/14/2009, 04:05 PM
Florida had their Murray...Percy Harvin. It would've been nice to see if Murray could've had some runs like that against their D.

boomermagic
1/14/2009, 04:11 PM
I think the layoff hurts our offensive style more than an option like Fl. runs.. Just my opinion..

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2009, 04:14 PM
Florida had their Murray...Percy Harvin. It would've been nice to see if Murray could've had some runs like that against their D.

Exactly. Going into the game, I thought UF would be slightly better if both teams were at full strength. But after the way our D and STs played, I actually think we were slightly better, *if* we had been at full strength. But just because they had the edge, it was still close, and we could have won if we made the critical plays.

I didn't really detect a home field advantage. I didn't see problems with communication on the offense or busted plays due to crowd noise. Very hard to judge that one, because they did have more fans there.

Sooner Among The Pack
1/14/2009, 04:37 PM
I'll be captain obvious. To me, the three reasons we lost were three missed red-zone opportunities. One was nullified by a holding penalty, one ended on the goal-line "miss", and the last one at the end of the 1st half.

Sooner Among The Pack
1/14/2009, 04:52 PM
DP

cheezyq
1/14/2009, 05:03 PM
Shotgun formation, and our obsession with it. That's the BIGGEST reason for the loss. Our offensive line dominated Florida when there was both the threat of the run and the pass. Lining up in shotgun tipped Florida as to what we were doing and it was game over. This is the SAME reason we lost to LSU in 2003/4.

RedstickSooner
1/14/2009, 05:20 PM
Actually, I can clear this mystery up -- we lost because my wife was watching. Apparently, from what I can gather in talking to her about it after the loss, we *usually* lose when she watches. She didn't watch at all back in 2000, and since then she hasn't watched many games, but apparently she's watched just *enough* to spoil things for us. She wasn't watching the NCG at all 'til her father called her in the fourth quarter and told her what an awesome game it was.

Needless to say, I've already secured her promise to never, ever watch another Sooner game again.

Oh, and she watched the ENTIRE game that we do not speak of, because I was there with my father, and she was hoping the kids might spot us on TV (we had front row seats, down in the corner of the end zone).

Can't believe I didn't figure this out before now. I mean, I'm *married* to her, for goodness sake. Her ability to jinx things is legendary, and I simply failed to extrapolate out a power to ruin Sooner games.

ratedrsuperstar
1/14/2009, 05:38 PM
The reason our Sooners lost is they didn't finish 2 drives in the first half leaving 10 points off the score board and the Florida staff made better adjustments at halftime.

One other thing.

If you have never put on the helmet and pads or coached OU it isn't "we". When you have to buy your way into a stadium for the game you are a fan, not part of the team.

madillsoonerfan5353
1/14/2009, 06:11 PM
Red Zone O-Fence SUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD!!!

Too many 3 and outs!!!!!!!!!!!

O-Fence play calling SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO!!!!

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 06:22 PM
The reason our Sooners lost is they didn't finish 2 drives in the first half leaving 10 points off the score board and the Florida staff made better adjustments at halftime.

One other thing.

If you have never put on the helmet and pads or coached OU it isn't "we". When you have to buy your way into a stadium for the game you are a fan, not part of the team.

STFU
WE Lost cause I didnt Have MY HOME Crimson Undies On .
Nuff said .

rainiersooner
1/14/2009, 06:43 PM
STFU
Nuff said .

Seriously, who invited the killjoy to the party? Tsch, can't say "we" unless you played!!

Now, if you're a guy on the other hand and your wife gets pregnant, you should NEVER say "We are pregnant".

ratedrsuperstar
1/14/2009, 06:52 PM
STFU
Nuff said .

I looked over the stats, didn't see your stupid *** name anywhere !

JLEW1818
1/14/2009, 07:07 PM

dude you really need to get off this board, and take Leroy lizard or w/e his name is with you .

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 07:08 PM

THATS cause I didnt Play under "Olevet "
dumas :rolleyes:

BOB LABLAW
1/14/2009, 07:15 PM
We lost because Iowa beat the Paternos.....We could have been playing freakin Penn State.

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 07:18 PM
We lost because Iowa beat the Paternos.....We could have been playing freakin Penn State.

Dem Bastages :mad:

catsigater
1/14/2009, 07:35 PM
On the sooner board scale, I'm thinking ratedr's gotta ranks somewhere below even us gatortrolls.

(Or is it a bannable offense to speak ill of him, since he's an OU "fan"?)

delhalew
1/14/2009, 07:49 PM
On the sooner board scale, I'm thinking ratedr's gotta ranks somewhere below even us gatortrolls.

More power to ya.:D

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2009, 07:50 PM

I'm willing to pass out an indulgence here. (swings censer, chants)

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/14/2009, 07:54 PM

Nope I say ban him!! WE WE WE WE WE WE WE WE

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 07:59 PM

Hell No it gets Ya green from ME :D

1890MilesToNorman
1/14/2009, 08:09 PM
The only reason we lost to FU is because Vet ran off the road in the truck carrying the OVJ laced Gatorade buckets destined for the FU sideline. It was a great plan but failed miserably. :mad:

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 08:16 PM
The only reason we lost to FU is because Vet ran off the road in the truck carrying the OVJ laced Gatorade buckets destined for the FU sideline. It was a great plan but failed miserably. :mad:

Damn turd an Flag shouldnt Have Let ME be the DD

1890MilesToNorman
1/14/2009, 08:20 PM
Damn turd an Flag shouldnt Have Let ME be the DD

OK Turd and Flag, what have you got to say for yourselves?

TUSooner
1/14/2009, 08:27 PM

You really WANT to banned, don't you? Every post of yours has to have some snarky jab at US (And by US I mean WE who are the Sooners). Your posts are slightly less interesting than farts. Speaking of which, I bet you say "Pull my finger" at weddings. You are a turd in the punchbowl and should be banned right now.

MI Sooner
1/14/2009, 08:47 PM
I don't think you can say that one red-zone possession was nullified by a holding penalty, because there's no way Sam gets that pass off without the hold. The play was created by the hold in the first place, it wasn't away from the ball or a misalignment or something.

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2009, 08:56 PM
I don't think you can say that one red-zone possession was nullified by a holding penalty, because there's no way Sam gets that pass off without the hold. The play was created by the hold in the first place, it wasn't away from the ball or a misalignment or something.

I totally agree - the hold was obvious and necessary for the completion. You could say we blew it by letting the pass rusher get position. I didn't see if it was just a great pass rush or blown blocking assignment.

But these are the 1000 foot observations - I'm talking about the 50,000ft reasons we didn't win. We didn't make the big, critical plays. Whether it was the call from the coaches or the execution by the players. They made their big plays and we didn't and that's always the difference in big games with closely matched teams. It's disappointing because we did have our chances; we were not over-powered by UF. They made things difficult, but we made things difficult for them as well.

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 08:56 PM
You really WANT to banned, don't you? Every post of yours has to have some snarky jab at US (And by US I mean WE who are the Sooners). Your posts are slightly less interesting than farts. Speaking of which, I bet you say "Pull my finger" at weddings. You are a turd in the punchbowl and should be banned right now.

Why you want to *****foot around .
Tell us what you really Think .:D

boomermagic
1/14/2009, 09:16 PM

One other thing.

One other thing..

Stop me from saying we if you can..:D

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 09:31 PM
OK Turd and Flag, what have you got to say for yourselves?

They Be hiding they Faces In :O

ZookSucks
1/14/2009, 10:22 PM
1. tim teb0w and percy harvin made really big plays, especially when they had to.

2. florida's defense is really good.

3. better halftime adjustments by florida.

SoonerBacker
1/14/2009, 10:48 PM
1. tim teb0w and percy harvin made really big plays, especially when they had to.

2. florida's defense is really good.

3. better halftime adjustments by florida.

I still say that if WE score TDs on the 3rd and one and the possession right before half, we win the game. If we're up 21-7 at the half, Gators have to change their gameplan to win. The way our D was playing, they don't overcome that lead.

One other thing...........

On this "WE" issue:

Get serious! First of all, those of us who are relatively new to this board should not come here trying to tell the long time members how to post. Some respect and a modicum of decorum is in order! Besides, I have 2 degrees from the University of Oklahoma. I think I have earned the right to include myself as a part of the Sooner family!

Wishboned
1/14/2009, 11:30 PM
RatedR is going to be crying, "We, we, we." all the way home.

olevetonahill
1/15/2009, 12:43 AM
RatedR is going to be crying, "We, we, we." all the way home.

But whos the Big Bad wolf ?;)

GKeeper316
1/15/2009, 12:50 AM
honestly it was mostly florida's dbs trying to ***-rape our recievers all night and the refs not calling it.

this was just another case of the game being decided by the only people on the field of play that dont play the game.

the acc should be ashamed of itself. seriously it looked like cherry and the rest of his crew had been threatened by some florida boosters. they didnt call **** on florida all night. no call when cooper gets the ball KICKED OUT OF HIS HAND... no call on the goal line "interception" where the florida dbs literally went THROUGH johnson to get to the ball... forget about the fact that the ball wasnt even there yet. no call on the pass interference down the sideline that hit the florida db in the ****ing back, and then no unsportsmanlike called right after for taunting on the sideline when the florida bench surrounded him.

im honestly convinced OU will never win anothe NC just because the refs decide our big games, not the teams on the field

Jason White's Third Knee
1/15/2009, 10:34 AM

And yet WE see your stupid *** name everywhere!

boomermagic
1/15/2009, 11:30 AM

One other thing.

OH, Another thing..

KMA !

OUmillenium
1/15/2009, 11:34 AM
Actually, I can clear this mystery up -- we lost because my wife was watching. Apparently, from what I can gather in talking to her about it after the loss, we *usually* lose when she watches. She didn't watch at all back in 2000, and since then she hasn't watched many games, but apparently she's watched just *enough* to spoil things for us. She wasn't watching the NCG at all 'til her father called her in the fourth quarter and told her what an awesome game it was.

Needless to say, I've already secured her promise to never, ever watch another Sooner game again.

Oh, and she watched the ENTIRE game that we do not speak of, because I was there with my father, and she was hoping the kids might spot us on TV (we had front row seats, down in the corner of the end zone).

Can't believe I didn't figure this out before now. I mean, I'm *married* to her, for goodness sake. Her ability to jinx things is legendary, and I simply failed to extrapolate out a power to ruin Sooner games.

+ I put on the Double-recording jinx. DVR and VCR. DVR was deleted at approximately 11:15 pm 1-8-09.

L-Boy
1/16/2009, 04:14 PM
Shotgun formation, and our obsession with it. That's the BIGGEST reason for the loss. Our offensive line dominated Florida when there was both the threat of the run and the pass. Lining up in shotgun tipped Florida as to what we were doing and it was game over. This is the SAME reason we lost to LSU in 2003/4.

You sound like Steve Spurrier, prior to December 1996. :D

L-Boy
1/16/2009, 04:29 PM

Using Vegas lines, a real home game tends to add 3-4 points in most circumstances. This was not a pure home game, so both teams had to travel. I'll give UF a slight edge, but not 3-7 points. As to the Cotton Bowl comment/wish - that didn't help against TX, so I don't think it turns out much differently there either.

Maybe, but OU did seem to run pretty well anyway. Perhaps Murray would have helped in the red zone.

I am not sure I really follow this one. Why should an equal break hurt OU more? I think UF had a superior D to most of the teams OU played, and that little bit of extra speed lead to superior pass coverage and a couple of close picks. Sometimes there's not much difference between an INT and a TD.

As to other points - the one made about TV - I actually think there is something to that, however having said that:

1. Most of the time OU stood up and looked for another play. I don't think TV had anything to do with that.

2. Its not like this is a surprise - this is a variable both sides should be able to plan for. If a system is not suited for a championship TV game, then maybe the system needs to be tweaked.

No offense to anyone, but how about this one:

- The better team won.

Yes that is subjective, but if you look at the momentum of the game. I think as time went on, UF adjusted, and UF wore OU down, and by the 4th qrtr. UF was in command.

tbl
1/16/2009, 05:01 PM
Going into the fourth I knew we were in trouble. You look at the two teams and UF has proven they can rally in the fourth to get the win. We haven't been in that position with this team (other than TX, and we know how that turned out) and it's never really been one of Bobs strong suits anyway. He's good at putting them away early, or grinding it out till the end. Making a huge fourth quarter comeback? Not so much... I may be wrong, but I don't recall many games where that has happened.

The 2 goal line stops were everything. After that, its one play here and another play there, but the biggest part of the game was UF holding us at the goal line. Uggghhhhh....

gotpoi73
1/16/2009, 05:21 PM
1) i thought bad thoughts about the teebus

2) i said bad things about the teebus

3) the empty drives before halftime

all 3 contributed equally

Charla
1/18/2009, 07:43 PM
Until we are able to play solid "D" we will not get number 8. Offense sells tickets and Defense wins championships. I have seen Houston,Rice and Tulsa all lead the NCAA in offense and I don't think they have alot of hardware between them. I still say that until we rank in the top 5 in the national in total D we will not get #8.

ashley
1/18/2009, 08:14 PM
Some people make it too compliated. If we had run the power and not the zone on our two possesions on the goal line in the first half we would have won. Check the video.

Dan Thompson
1/18/2009, 08:44 PM
I don't think Sam taking that 14 yard sack helped on the first drive.

I think the Refs could have called at least three PI.

Poor play calling inside the 5.

Going for the long FG.

gotpoi73
1/19/2009, 02:48 PM
bcscg haiku

i'm still so pissed off right now
pain won't dissipate
2009 please hurry

n8v_ndn
1/19/2009, 04:54 PM
Going into the fourth I knew we were in trouble...We haven't been in that position with this team (other than TX...and it's never really been one of Bobs strong suits anyway...He's good at putting them away early, or grinding it out till the end. Making a huge fourth quarter comeback? Not so much... I may be wrong, but I don't recall many games where that has happened.

I was thinking the same thing at the beginning of the 4th, and after that interception. I wonder what is the largest deficit a Stoops' coached OU team has overcome in the 4th quarter?

BoulderSooner79
1/19/2009, 05:09 PM
I was thinking the same thing at the beginning of the 4th, and after that interception. I wonder what is the largest deficit a Stoops' coached OU team has overcome in the 4th quarter?

Lost in all the hype over BSU beating OU in the Fiesta, was a great comeback engineered by Paul Thompson. OU was down by 18 and mounted a furious comback to tie the game which included at least 1 critical 4th down conversion and a 2 pt conversion. I don't know if it all happened in the 4th qtr, but most of it did. Then a pick 6 by the defense looked to seal the victory until that one boneheaded play on D allowed a hook and ladder to work as time ran out. Grrr.

Bonehead
1/19/2009, 09:22 PM
1. Florida defensive backs outplayed our wide receivers and essentially took them out of the game. Wideouts failed to match the intensity of UF's defensive backs. First possession of the game UF's db's committed two penalties that weren't called. OU's wideouts should have known then what kind of game they were in and stepped up.

2. Some inexplicable decisions with the play calling. When you have a Heisman trophy quarterback, and a 6'6" All American Tight End and you have the ball inside the 5, why don't you throw a pass up high and let him go up and get it, or if he can't let it sail out of the end zone? Why do you slow the tempo of your offense down when you scored on the two times you sped it up?

3. Inability to get UF offense off the field in that clock eating fourth quarter drive. Tebow took over the fourth quarter.

Crucifax Autumn
1/19/2009, 10:45 PM
It was me...I made a Schooner pic again.