PDA

View Full Version : Coaching or execution?

achiro
1/14/2009, 11:23 AM
I saw short clips of the 3 runs by Brown, 2 at the goal line and the one on 4th and short. In all three he is running sideways when he gets tripped from behind. He is basically facing the sidelines. Yes there was penetration through the o-line but if he had just squared up and pounded it would it have worked better?
I don't have the game recorded to go back and look at the plays but thats what it looked like on the clips I saw.

sooner518
1/14/2009, 11:28 AM
on one of the running plays (I believe it was the 3rd down at the 1 play), Clapp was the fullback and completely whiffed on a block and the guy was able to hit CB in the backfield. Otherwise I think he is able to get in pretty easily.

I imagine the coaches were aiming for the strongest part of our O-line, the left side and counting on Duke and Big Phil to knock the Florida D-line back.

I would go back and watch but I deleted it frmo my DVR before it stopped recording.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2009, 11:41 AM
On, the 4th down play, the right guard used the bull fighting technique

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2009, 11:43 AM
Brown is not a power back, regardless of what the announcers say. I can't even remember him dragging or bulldozing tacklers for extra yards. Compare that to DM who did it all the time. CB has great vision, picks the right hole and is very slippery.

Personally, I hated both calls on the goal line. Not the fact that we ran and not the fact that we went on 4th down. I hated the formation. Our 2 most dangerous players, Bradford and Gresham, were taken out of the plays as threats. If Gresham is in the slot - even as a decoy, the defense cannot attack the LOS like they did.

JLEW1818
1/14/2009, 11:50 AM
thats true Boulder

fadada1
1/14/2009, 12:06 PM
the 3rd and goal from the 1/2 yard line, imo, should've been a QB sneak. you've got 18 inches to go behind the best O-line we've had in a generation, and QB that is 6'4". use them. was disappointed not to see that.

Cappy
1/14/2009, 12:11 PM
Brown is not a power back, regardless of what the announcers say. I can't even remember him dragging or bulldozing tacklers for extra yards. Compare that to DM who did it all the time. CB has great vision, picks the right hole and is very slippery.

People assume it because he has been our short yardage back the past two years. The just fail to open their eyes, or pull their heads out and see its that he gets through the hole quickly, not necessarily because of his strength. That has been bothering me every time he comes in and the announcer says "Here come's the Sooner's power runner now..."

Toronto Sooner
1/14/2009, 12:29 PM

Personally, I hated both calls on the goal line. Not the fact that we ran and not the fact that we went on 4th down. I hated the formation. Our 2 most dangerous players, Bradford and Gresham, were taken out of the plays as threats. If Gresham is in the slot - even as a decoy, the defense cannot attack the LOS like they did.

As was one of my points in the KW thread, nothing wrong with attempting even a 5 yard jump ball to Chaney. You know, our 6-5 Chaney vs their 5-10 d-backs. Yes, Chaney had a 7 inch advantage. They went to Chaney a few times in the first half, and Chaney delivered big time. The 5-10 yard play to Chaney should have been a staple play for our offense all game long. The 7 inch difference was too huge for Florida to defend.

soonercastor
1/14/2009, 12:40 PM
I assume we didn't sneak it b/c Sam was injured and could fumble (Big 12 title or OSU), but I don't see anything wrong w/ Brown sneaking it. and why no play action on third, though it would have been an obvious call. Anyway they should heve run it straight donw, no left or right

Flagstaffsooner
1/14/2009, 12:45 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about texass sentencing guidelines.:texan:

Bourbon St Sooner
1/14/2009, 12:48 PM
On the third and 1 in the second half, I remember on the replay, that when the play was snapped Brody Eldridge, who was at the point of attack, just stood there while the guy who made the play ran right by him. It looked like he was in la-la land.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2009, 01:34 PM
People assume it because he has been our short yardage back the past two years. The just fail to open their eyes, or pull their heads out and see its that he gets through the hole quickly, not necessarily because of his strength. That has been bothering me every time he comes in and the announcer says "Here come's the Sooner's power runner now..."

like when Kejuan Jones would come in on short yardage...I would laugh at loud at anybody calling him a power runner