PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa World- "Bradford getting comfortable with choice"

The_Red_Patriot
1/13/2009, 03:23 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090113_92_0_Thefat420085

Bradford has until midnight Thursday to choose between returning to play at OU next season or jumping to the NFL.

In a Tuesday telephone interview with the Tulsa World, Kent Bradford said he suspects Sam knows what he wants to do.

“Do I think he’s going back and forth? No. No, I don’t,” Kent Bradford said. “I just think he’s trying to become comfortable with his choice, I guess.”

He said Sam has met with OU head coach Bob Stoops, quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel, associate athletic director for media relations Kenny Mossman and others in recent days to help him determine a course of action.

“It’ll be his call and his time,” Kent Bradford said. “How he and Josh and Stoops and Mossman and all those guys handle it, I don’t know.”

Kent Bradford said he thinks he knows what his son is going to do, but admits he isn’t positive.

“I think I probably know his choice,” he said,
“but I’m not totally sure of it.”

Kent Bradford said he’s receiving numerous phone calls each day about whether Sam will stay or go and tells everyone the same thing: he doesn’t know.

“He and I have talked, sure. And no, I’m probably not totally in the dark,” Kent Bradford said. “But you know, he has not actually made his final choice known to me yet. I truly think I know it, but hell, I may not.”

Kent Bradford clarified a report Monday that his son’s draft grade from the NFL advisory committee came back with an evaluation between the 10th and 20th picks of the first round.

“I think there is a huge amount of inaccurate information out there about how that eval works,” he said. “They don’t tell you a 10 to 20 or a top 5 or 20 to 25. They tell you round 1. End of story, period.

“From what they told me, (the grade report given to underclassmen) says 1 (first round), it says 2-3 (second or third round) as a grade, it says second day as a grade or it says not draftable. They actually told me that there are four options.

“If you’ll truly stop and think about it, nobody knows. You know? There are however many teams there are out there, (but) that eval grade comes from a consortium of only five teams.

“Now, probably where that grade of 10 to 20 comes from is that is probably the spot that whoever they talked to places that player in. Now, there’s probably a hundred other people you might actually talk to who might say top 5, top 3, 20 to 25. My whole point is that it’s all based on opinions and there will be as many opinions as there are people you actually talk to.

“Plus, the opinion you have right now may or may not match an opinion after the combine, after the pro days, the interviews and on the actual draft day in April.

Scotty
1/13/2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the post!

Knippz
1/13/2009, 03:38 PM
He's gone.

Scotty
1/13/2009, 03:39 PM
My thoughts exactly.

IBleedCrimson
1/13/2009, 03:45 PM
cya sammy. thanks for the memories and youll always be one of my favorite sooners

TUSooner
1/13/2009, 03:47 PM
Everybody's a ****ing tease. :mad:

But I sense he's gone.

Can't blame him really, but ****. :(

KaleoHolley
1/13/2009, 03:57 PM
I kinda think he stays..... Gut feeling i guess...

Hot Rod
1/13/2009, 04:06 PM
Either way, I'm happy to have watched him play and break records in only 2 years at OU.

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2009, 04:13 PM
“It’ll be his call and his time,” Kent Bradford said. “How he and Josh and Stoops and Mossman and all those guys handle it, I don’t know.”

If he were staying, it would be pretty easy to predict how all those guys would handle it.

tbl
1/13/2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, grown men doing cartwheels. This, not so much.

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2009, 04:31 PM
Mr. Bradford could just mean "how they handle communicating the decision". In the meantime, we should try to set the record for #threads started on the same subject. ;)

n8v_ndn
1/13/2009, 05:08 PM
I thought this was about Sam & Tashard becoming friends.

Knippz
1/13/2009, 05:13 PM
I thought this was about Sam & Tashard becoming friends.

If that was the case, then that would mean that Sam would be coming to the Cowboys, which would make me STOKED! Never gonna happen...

sooner ngintunr
1/13/2009, 05:31 PM
He's not going anywhere. JMO.

dirtyjoo
1/13/2009, 05:33 PM
It would be nice if he would stay!!!!!

BigGobbler
1/13/2009, 05:55 PM
Landry is loosening up the shoulder...

MojoRisen
1/13/2009, 06:09 PM
Could be the Bears at 17 - but let's go ahead and wait till next year! There is a 20 Million dollar difference from 1-25

soonercastor
1/13/2009, 06:11 PM
They are going to announce it on Sportscenter next

auto
1/13/2009, 06:14 PM
he's gone.

sooner ngintunr
1/13/2009, 06:27 PM
How many QB's playing in the NFL DID NOT go to college at least 4-5 years? (next year would be Bradfords 4th)

Thats the reason why I think he's staying.

sendbaht
1/13/2009, 06:49 PM
Guess...STAYING!

olevetonahill
1/13/2009, 07:07 PM
http://governing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/coin_toss.jpg
Call it .

SoonerLB
1/13/2009, 07:42 PM
Heads :D

sooner ngintunr
1/13/2009, 07:51 PM
How many QB's playing in the NFL DID NOT go to college at least 4-5 years? (next year would be Bradfords 4th)

Anyone? Anyone? All right, screw you guys then.:D

The answer is 2, yep 2. Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young/Kerry Collins (they both came out early, only one plays though;) )

Sam Stays.

Scotty
1/13/2009, 08:05 PM
Anyone? Anyone? All right, screw you guys then.:D

The answer is 2, yep 2. Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young/Kerry Collins (they both came out early, only one plays though;) )

Sam Stays.

I think you forgot to cite Jim Traber and the sports animal for that one ;)

OU-HSV
1/13/2009, 08:11 PM

The guys on the radio were talking about that tonight. They said something like only 2 current QBs in the NFL went to college for 4+ years (or something along those lines). That means damn near every NFL QB left college early. Not saying that's what Sam will do...just saying that's what the mainstream does.

sooner ngintunr
1/13/2009, 08:14 PM
I think you forgot to cite Jim Traber and the sports animal for that one ;)

Yeah you got it. I'm down with Plank and Pop anyway though!!;)

I still think it is a very shocking stat. I know that I was surprised!!

Scotty
1/13/2009, 08:16 PM
The guys on the radio were talking about that tonight. They said something like only 2 current QBs in the NFL went to college for 4+ years (or something along those lines). That means damn near every NFL QB left college early. Not saying that's what Sam will do...just saying that's what the mainstream does.

actually, i think it was the opposite of that. I may be wrong though

sooner ngintunr
1/13/2009, 08:18 PM

You have it backwards. Only 2 current NFL QB's went to school less than 4 years.

Scotty
1/13/2009, 08:21 PM
You have it backwards. Only 2 current NFL QB's went to school less than 4 years.

yeah thats correct. they were making the stat out to be in ou's favor of sam staying.

OU-HSV
1/13/2009, 08:22 PM

Okay. That makes more sense. When I heard them say that I thought that seemed pretty far out there, I wondered if they had their facts wrong. My bad, that's what I get for catching the tail end of a conversation on the Sports Animal

soonerfan28
1/13/2009, 08:30 PM
Bradford will be back. I think he needs it. Its already been said but he needs to out on some weight if he's gonna get the **** kicked out of him for a couple of years.

Scott D
1/13/2009, 09:33 PM
If the Tulsa World could flip flop more on this subject they'd be mistaken for a member of congress.

pardon the interREDtion
1/13/2009, 10:54 PM
where would Bradford be had Bomar not gotten busted?

nighttrain12
1/13/2009, 11:39 PM
I like how his dad explained how underclassmen are informed of their estimated draft chances. He sounds very informed.

adoniijahsooner
1/13/2009, 11:41 PM
unlike some parents who only hear and see $$$$$$$$$$$$!

josh09
1/13/2009, 11:49 PM
I've said this a couple times, but I dont think he's the kind of guy who wants to go out on a loss like that. I think he wants to improve on this past year. But then again, I'm not exactly in his head...

nighttrain12
1/13/2009, 11:51 PM
I've said this a couple times, but I dont think he's the kind of guy who wants to go out on a loss like that. I think he wants to improve on this past year. But then again, I'm not exactly in his head...

Same thing could have been said about Adrian Peterson, however ...

RedstickSooner
1/14/2009, 12:39 AM

So, you've concluded he's staying, because you're capable of thinking of a good reason for him to stay?

Dude, I'm all for wishful thinking. It's nice. But we've got his dad coming as close as it is humanly possible to flat-out saying, "Yeah, my boy is gone."

Supposition is what we do when we've got no first-hand data to go by. In this case, we've got that data in plenty. His dad is saying he's going. Sure, it's possible Sam could truly change his mind, and decide to stay. It's also possible the UF squad will be revealed tomorrow to all be on the take, are now disqualified, and we "win" the crystal football by forfeit.

nighttrain12
1/14/2009, 12:55 AM
It also says on newsok.com and probably elsewhere that even if Sam declares for the draft, he has 72 more hours to change his mind as long as he doesn't sign with an agent.

rainiersooner
1/14/2009, 01:05 AM
But we've got his dad coming as close as it is humanly possible to flat-out saying, "Yeah, my boy is gone."

What makes you think his Dad says he's going? I didn't see that in the article (FWIW, I think he goes - but nothing his Dad said leads me to believe that).

Crucifax Autumn
1/14/2009, 02:33 AM
Honestly, I didn't either. He actually sounded opposite, though that may be wishful thinking on my part and Dad's. Seemed to me like Sooner Dad Ken was about to explode in Sooner pride over a decision to stay.

I hope so...

And I hope all these threads get merged soon.

birddog
1/14/2009, 09:36 AM

2, i think. :D

he's gone, fellers.

sooner ngintunr
1/14/2009, 11:20 AM
So, you've concluded he's staying, because you're capable of thinking of a good reason for him to stay?

I can think of at least 5 reasons why I think he stays.

I cannot think of even ONE reason why I think he goes.

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2009, 11:53 AM

I cannot think of even ONE reason why I think he goes.

I can think of MILLIONS.

sooner ngintunr
1/14/2009, 12:06 PM
I can think of MILLIONS.

That reason will still be around next year. The reasons for staying this year won't be around next year.

I don't think he makes the decision based on money, that's why I think he's staying.

TUSooner
1/14/2009, 12:11 PM
Are we supposed to expect an annoucement sometime today? Or is tomorrow the last day?

MI Sooner
1/14/2009, 12:13 PM

I'd say just the opposite. The five starting linemen (if Williams leaves) we lose says he goes. Bradford could easily have a Colt McCoy sophomore-type year next year if our line and receivers don't step up.

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 12:23 PM
Are we supposed to expect an annoucement sometime today? Or is tomorrow the last day?

Bro today is the deadline .

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2009, 12:31 PM
That reason will still be around next year. The reasons for staying this year won't be around next year.

I don't think he makes the decision based on money, that's why I think he's staying.

I was just responding with the easy answer to your statement that there is no reason for Sam to go pro. Obviously, there are reasons - along with reasons to stay. Sam will let us know soon enough which ones matter most to him. I selfishly want him to stay because I'm not much of an NFL fan.

sooner ngintunr
1/14/2009, 12:34 PM

I think it is tomorrow @ midnight.

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 12:44 PM
I think it is tomorrow @ midnight.

Ur right , Its the 15th I had heard the 14th .:O

soonermagic14
1/14/2009, 12:48 PM
Losing 4 starting offensive linemen and all three starting WR's doesn't help his decision to return. Losing those linemen especially Cooper and Duke will have a major impact on his decision (and maybe even Trent Williams). Anybody know anything about the guys who are projected to start in their places? We all know that it starts up front. Sam is the most accurate passer I've seen but with fresh meat coming in with little or no college experience?....that's something to be concerned about. I say he leaves.

sooner ngintunr
1/14/2009, 01:16 PM
I'd say just the opposite. The five starting linemen (if Williams leaves) we lose says he goes. Bradford could easily have a Colt McCoy sophomore-type year next year if our line and receivers don't step up.

Blasphemy!!!!