PDA

View Full Version : If Sam Opts for the Cash

PLaw
1/13/2009, 01:14 PM
Then, it appears we are big time thin at QB. Have to assume Landry Jones is the starter.

Who is No. 2? Anybody know anything about John Nimmo or Ben Sherrard? Does Drew Allen hit the depth chart or RS?

Any JUCO QB's on a leash that we could throw (no pun intended) a 'ship?

BOOMER

Jason White's Third Knee
1/13/2009, 02:24 PM
Good question. I know we are recruiting well, but with no line and no qb experience... well, it'll be a sketchy season.

Desert Sapper
1/13/2009, 03:13 PM
He's gonna get beat up. Much better to stay 2 more years, gain some more college experience, drop to a better team, sit behind a vet for a couple years and start when you're ready than to get thrown into the meat grinder after your RS Sophomore year of college. Question - has a QB gone after their RS Soph year? If so, how successful were they? All the best NFL QBs I can think of left after their senior year. Can anybody think of some underclassmen that were successful in ways other than a bigtime paycheck they didn't earn?

soonerlaw
1/13/2009, 03:55 PM
yes, what about Vince You.. oh wait, nevermind.

oudivesherpa
1/13/2009, 04:39 PM
As a OU Alumni I hope he stays, as a graduate of the Price College of Business (MBA) I hope he goes. (Note: For all aggie trolls on this board see if you can figure out the prior statement).

PLaw
1/13/2009, 11:18 PM
Let's try to steer this back to the unthinkable and assume Sam is a multi-millionaire before this semester is over. What does the QB depth chart look like in '09 and what can we expect?

Landry may be the next coming of Sam, but after that there won't be a QB on the roster who has taken a Div. 1 snap.

BOOMER

adoniijahsooner
1/13/2009, 11:23 PM
Well drew allen is an early enrollee, so he'll gain experience.

BigGobbler
1/13/2009, 11:30 PM
We will be in a bind if Sammy leaves... That's why I have to think he is coming back. I think if there was much doubt we would be throwing a few offers out there to available QBs... There's actually a couple in state guys that could pan out.

yermom
1/14/2009, 12:38 AM
without Sam, that BYU game looks a whole lot scarier

i'm thinking 2005 TCU, only not at home

Crucifax Autumn
1/14/2009, 02:39 AM
BS...We could just run OUr azzes off against BYU while getting a QB comfortable.

God thing it won't matter since I see Sam as a Sooner kinda guy. He's an Okie and he can see from alifetime of experience that a hero at OU trumps a "maybe" nfl career in total dollars earned if you aren't a crack dealer or retard, whih he's not.

yermom
1/14/2009, 02:53 AM
yeah, my gut says he stays

i've been wrong before though

Crucifax Autumn
1/14/2009, 02:59 AM
ME too, but always with guys from friggin' texas, so...

We'll see!

rainiersooner
1/14/2009, 03:55 AM
without Sam, that BYU game looks a whole lot scarier

i'm thinking 2005 TCU, only not at home

I was thinking the same thing; although at least our D will be darn good (better than it was against TCU). Miami away could be tough too.

Desert Sapper
1/14/2009, 05:51 AM
BS...We could just run OUr azzes off against BYU while getting a QB comfortable.

God thing it won't matter since I see Sam as a Sooner kinda guy. He's an Okie and he can see from alifetime of experience that a hero at OU trumps a "maybe" nfl career in total dollars earned if you aren't a crack dealer or retard, whih he's not.

He's already a Sooner hero. I'm hoping he becomes a Sooner legend (gotta win the big one).

MrJimBeam
1/14/2009, 05:56 AM
It will be tough without Sam. We go on the road to Miami, Neb., and Tech with a new starting QB and remade line. Scary stuff.

Desert Sapper
1/14/2009, 09:17 AM
Could be an interesting year on O with or without him. As far as hunting QBs, there don't seem to be a bunch in the JUCO ranks that aren't 'dual threat' guys. Drew Allen seems to fit the mold that we want. It would seem that we should pull in two QBs this year. I just don't see it happening.

MojoRisen
1/14/2009, 09:37 AM
He's gonna get beat up. Much better to stay 2 more years, gain some more college experience, drop to a better team, sit behind a vet for a couple years and start when you're ready than to get thrown into the meat grinder after your RS Sophomore year of college. Question - has a QB gone after their RS Soph year? If so, how successful were they? All the best NFL QBs I can think of left after their senior year. Can anybody think of some underclassmen that were successful in ways other than a bigtime paycheck they didn't earn?

I am pretty sure Michael Vick went after his RS Soph year, I can't think of another QB that did though. It is a tough position to just pick up and play at an NFL level. Sam is about as Accurate as he can be though and the guaranteed money is well guaranteed. I think I would prefer to get that big contract after 3-4 seasons of development on a good team - but who knows if it would ever come. You can get that big money now and never set foot on an NFL feild - which too me is flawed for the Veterans. When the kid from Atlanta although had an excellent year- makes more than Tom Brady with 3 rings.

Desert Sapper
1/15/2009, 01:18 PM
I am pretty sure Michael Vick went after his RS Soph year, I can't think of another QB that did though. It is a tough position to just pick up and play at an NFL level. Sam is about as Accurate as he can be though and the guaranteed money is well guaranteed. I think I would prefer to get that big contract after 3-4 seasons of development on a good team - but who knows if it would ever come. You can get that big money now and never set foot on an NFL feild - which too me is flawed for the Veterans. When the kid from Atlanta although had an excellent year- makes more than Tom Brady with 3 rings.

Vick was a pretty unique talent. I guess I thought he was a junior when he left, but I guess he was a RS Frosh when he led Va Tech to an undefeated regular season and that Sugar Bowl loss against FSU. Dayyum.

I am so glad Sam is coming back. I can't imagine watching him get pummeled for a subpar Lions team next year. That would have sucked. Maybe this is the year for 8?