PDA

View Full Version : Postseason All-Star Games

Rhino
1/13/2009, 11:49 AM
East-West Shrine Game (http://www.shrinegame.com/) (rosters (http://www.shrinegame.com/rosters.php))
Saturday, January 17 (3pm CST) - ESPN
• Manuel Johnson
• Lendy Holmes
• Jon Cooper

Senior Bowl (http://www.seniorbowl.com/)
Saturday, January 24 (6pm CST) - NFL Network
• Nic Harris
• Juaquin Iglesias
• Manuel Johnson
• Phil Loadholt
• Duke Robinson
• Rhett Bomar*

Texas vs. The Nation (http://texasvsthenation.cstv.com/) (rosters (http://texasvsthenation.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/2009-rosters.html))
Saturday, January 31 (2pm CST) - CSTV
• Mike Reed*

Desert Sapper
1/13/2009, 12:00 PM
Mike Reed getting another shot is wonderful news. I hope he shows everybody what he can do. Just wish he didn't have all that family adversity while he was a Sooner.

TXBOOMER
1/13/2009, 01:14 PM
I didn't realize he went and played at Central Oklahoma. I thought he was quitting football to take care of his children.

soonerfan28
1/13/2009, 01:56 PM
So why all the BS about Reed quitting to take care of family? UCO had him listed at 6'2 270. The dude is huge.

Rhino
1/13/2009, 02:17 PM
So why all the BS about Reed quitting to take care of family? Read about Reed. (http://newsok.com/ou-football-sooners-castoff-mike-reed-finds-his-place/article/3317456?custom_click=headlines_widget)

Collier11
1/13/2009, 02:21 PM
I hope he gets drafted and makes some money

setem
1/13/2009, 02:30 PM
So why all the BS about Reed quitting to take care of family? UCO had him listed at 6'2 270. The dude is huge.

I don't think there was any BS about his family. His wife or one of his children was very sick and and UCO gave him the best way of taking care of his family and still play football. OU was too demanding of his time and energy for him to stay.

soonerfan28
1/14/2009, 11:02 AM
I read an article about his move to UCO and what OU demanded of him. I hadn't read it before the previous post.

Collier11
1/14/2009, 11:21 AM
what?

TXBOOMER
1/17/2009, 01:18 PM
Bomar will be playing in the Sr. Bowl. Phil and Duke blocking for him and Juaquin catching it. Seems a little strange. Maybe they won't be on the same team. If that is the case Nic might get a pick.

Desert Sapper
1/17/2009, 04:27 PM
Manny is wearing #1, Cooper is wearing #50, and Lendy is wearing #22 right now on ESPN2.

SoonerSig
1/17/2009, 05:19 PM
Lendy with the TD saving tackle

Collier11
1/17/2009, 06:35 PM
Lendy is good at that

Desert Sapper
1/18/2009, 09:54 AM
He got juked out of his jock, but made a great adjustment and accelerated to make the tackle at the end of the run. Too bad that was his only highlight.

I thought Cooper did really well. Every time the West had a big run, all they could talk about was the CSU running back, but it was always a run through either the 1 or 2 hole. Don't know who the Guards were, but they did a decent job, too. I just kept seeing Cooper knocking his dude off the line, then downfield blocking. He was good in pass protection, too. All the pressure came from the edges.

I didn't even see the ball get thrown in Manny's direction the whole game. Ah, well, maybe he'll show up for the combine.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Bowl practices begin today on the NFL Network...

Interesting side story is Bomar throwing passes to Iglesias this week...

Collier11
1/19/2009, 11:03 AM
Ive been hearing that Bomar is a 2nd or 3rd rounder with good workouts, have you heard anything like that STEP?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2009, 11:25 AM
I have him listed in my top 5 quarterbacks for the draft...Most of the scouts/writers I've talked with have him on that top 5 list as well...I think with good workouts, he could go 3rd round....

My top 5

1. Freeman (developmental)
2. Sanchez
3. Stafford
4. Bomar
5. Davis

Most of the guys I work with have those same top 5 guys, just in different orders...This class is so weak...One scout that works for the Browns told me that Stephen McGee is on their list of guys to look at in the late rounds...

Nathan Brown from Central Arkansas could move into that list and bump somebody out....

Collier11
1/19/2009, 12:16 PM
Now that we are talking, would you mind sharing the consensus on the OU guys?

Nic
Lendy
Phil
Duke
Coop
Walker
Iglesias
Johnson

I would appreciate it!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2009, 08:33 PM
Phil and Duke have slipped from the beginning of the year..From what I've heard, Duke has eaten himself into the 3rd or 4th round..I know he looked awful in the championship game..Loadholt has flexibility issues amongst other things but will likely fall somewhere in the late 3rd or 4th as well...I can tell you scouts love Cooper, but feel he is undersized for the next level. I would say somebody may pick him up in the 6th or 7th, but a lot of teams will be offering invitations to camp if he isn't picked..

Most scouts are expecting Nic to put up a slow time, but they like the way he plays..say he reminds them of (guess who?) with better cover skills. If he did manage to run around 4.55 or so, he could be somewhere in the 2nd(depending on time) to the middle of the 4th..

Iglesias and Johnson..I expect Manny to be a RFA and go to camp somewhere. I expect Iggy to be around the 5th round as most have him right outside the top 100. They like his hands, runs better routes than Kelly did, but isn't strong enough to make his own separation..

I think the wildcard is Walker....If he works out well, he will go well in front of Loadholt and Robinson..I just don't know what kinda shape he is in...

Lendy...Nobody is really high on him right now...He'll get a shot somewhere...If he could get out and play corner, that would be his best bet..

Of course workouts change it all...Chris Chester nearly worked himself out into the 1st round..

Collier11
1/19/2009, 08:48 PM
THX

NormanPride
1/20/2009, 10:17 AM
Iggy above Manny? Wow. I'm not sure what tape people watched this year, but that's not what I saw. Whoever picks him up gets a steal if he's a free agent.

Walker was our worst OL this year. Why do scouts like him so much? People talk about how poorly we did on the goalline in the MNC game, but it was Walker blowing his assignment twice in a row that killed us.

Lendy will be picked up somewhere just because of his speed. You can't teach the closing speed that he has, and he's proved it many, many times on the field. I don't know how Nic gets drafted, though. As much as I love the guy...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2009, 11:02 AM
Most NFLer's think Iglesias is a more polished WR than Johnson..the Soonersports roster has Manny at 6', 183, which is a little smallish...Even though Iglesias only measured at 6' yesterday, he weighed in at 204, a weight he has played at all year.

Walker is the wild card..If he shows up in shape and tests well...thats all they care about..measureables..

Thats why Lendy would probably be best going at the corner than safety..

Scouts drool over Nic Harris size..If he runs a solid 40, he's gonna go.

Received this text from the Senior Bowl practices yesterday

The players who helped themselves in the first session were:

Darius Butler
Keenan Lewis
Ramses Barden
Kory Sheets
Kraig Urbik
Ron Brace
Mitch King

Players who hurt themselves:
Alex Mack
Phil Loadholt
Louis Delmas
Trevor Canfield

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2009, 11:28 AM
This from the National Football Post:

former Oklahoma SS Nic Harris will attempt to make a transition to OLB in front of scouts this week. He displayed quick feet and good range to the perimeter against the run. However, he is very slow to read and react at the line of scrimmage and struggles taking on blockers inside. He is a work in progress, but, as many expected, he struggled in his first action.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2009, 11:31 AM
QB Rhett Bomar was solid. He has a compact motion with good zip and arm down the field. However, he lacked timing in the pass game and wasn’t as natural in the pocket as the other two. He should improve as the week goes on, but his lack of playing at a high level was apparent.

The other 2 being Graham Harrell and Nathan Brown.

Harrell looked good under center and made some decent throws..Arm strength is questionable though..

Nathan Brown looked pretty good too..

Loadholt measured 6'8, 343 yesterday

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2009, 11:37 AM
Nic Harris measured 6'2, 233

NormanPride
1/20/2009, 02:21 PM
I keep forgetting that only the good franchises have learned that people that play football > people that have measurables. Manny will surprise people if he gets a chance.

Collier11
1/20/2009, 03:56 PM
That just shows how stubborn and idiotic the draft process is, since when has the "measurables" argument every worked excessively for the scouts

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2009, 04:02 PM
Well its worked as much as it hasn't worked...Matt Ryan(look at his college stats, not impressive but the prototype built quarterback) and Chris Johnson(40 time) both tested well, Johnson just being an afterthought until he ran his time..and thats just last year.

You have Mike Mamula who had probably the greatest combine ever who didn't pan out. Ryan Leaf..But the guys who don't pan out get the attention because they were supposed to make it while the guys who are expected to be studs that make it are overlooked

Collier11
1/20/2009, 04:34 PM
It is a crapshoot mroe or less with a lot of lucky picks and alot of bad ones, just look at Jeff George vs Tom Brady

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2009, 04:45 PM
exactamundo...

soonerfan28
1/21/2009, 02:11 PM
I think Chaney will have a chance to impress at the combines. He'll have the measurables that the NFL looks for. He didn't have an invite though so that will have to wait for OU's Pro Day.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2009, 02:30 PM
He's got the height they would like..He rounds off his routes too much and looks awkward at times...He'll go to a camp for sure

soonerfan28
1/21/2009, 02:37 PM
I believe he also had one of the fastest 40's on the team. I beleieve it was around 4.45. He needs some work on routes for sure, but he's not a bad downfield blocker either so that may work in his favor.

8timechamps
1/22/2009, 01:33 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Nic moved to LB at the next level.

His size is very prototypical of a NFL LB.

Good updates STEP, keep 'em coming.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 09:34 AM
Note on Loadholt:

He might be to big for his own good. He dominates when he gets his hands on his opponent, but he struggles to do just that

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 09:49 AM
Looks like Manuel Johnson is down there now, being invited after quite a few players were injured/left...gonna get a chance to show what he can do

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 09:58 AM
comments from Iglesias concerning Bomar:

"It shows you that whatever happens, you've just got to roll with it,'' Iglesias said. "You've got to live with the moment. All that stuff is in the past. It was unfortunate but we're both here now. So that's what matters.

"He was cool when he was with us, and he's a cool dude now. He's just the same guy. He might have matured, but he's just cool to me and he's just my friend.''

He also isn't counting out the possibility that the Sooners could have had just as much success with Bomar taking snaps instead of Bradford.

"The success would have been the same, if not better,'' Iglesias said. "I really believe in Rhett's talent and what he can do on the field. They're both good quarterbacks, so I don't think it would have mattered who would have been in.''

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 10:01 AM
From Russ Lande:

Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma. As expected, he reached out and plucked passes out of the air with his hands, looking very natural. Despite running sharp routes, he did not show any quickness or burst off the snap.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 11:00 AM
Wow...By day 3, it appears Nic is making strides at OLB

Oklahoma prospect Nic Harris is really making strides as a linebacker this week. He possesses good footwork and changes directions as well as any linebacker on the North team. Plus, he was able to get consistent pressure off the edge and proved he can slip blocks and get after the QB.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 11:01 AM
More on Loadholt from day 3:

Oklahoma OT Phil Loadholt has struggled all week with his flexibility and footwork, and his flaws really stood out today. Loadholt lacks the first-step quickness to get out to the corner and struggles playing with leverage. DE Tim Jamison consistently was able to get inside of him on the counter move, and DE/TE Connor Barwin was able to win their battles by gaining leverage and driving his legs. Loadholt needs to play on the right side to have any chance in the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 11:05 AM
Iglesias had a huge 3rd day of practice...enough thats there is buzz of him moving up into the top 60...Note: He started out right outside the top 100 before the Senior bowl and noticed he had moved up a few notches to the 80-85 rangeafter the first 2 days....

WR Derrick Williams has grabbed headlines all week, but it was Oklahoma WR Juaquin Iglesias who stole the show today. Iglesias has been the most natural receiver here and consistently showcases an ability to separate on all levels of the field. What makes him stand out is not just his ability to create plays in one-on-one drills but also during seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills. Iglesias looks to be solidifying a spot in the top 60 on draft day.

The Maestro
1/22/2009, 11:27 AM
From cnnsi.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/21/senior.bowl.day3/index.html

NormanPride
1/22/2009, 11:51 AM
Man, why couldn't he separate in the MNC, then? Frustrating...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 11:54 AM

You thats the knock I had on him as well that he isn't capable of creating separation...Maybe a NFL coach worked with him to show him something he could do better..

Big John
1/22/2009, 12:06 PM
Manuel Johnson was practicing for the North team today on the NFL network wearing #22. He wore a smaller, more flexible brace/pad then he was wearing at the end of this season. Both he and Iglesias looked good in my opinion. They seemed to have a lot of balls come their way.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2009, 02:37 PM
Looks like Nic is gonna be getting his pay check playing at the Will...Everybody is talking about him....

The Atlanta Falcons were one of the teams interviewing him today...Lofton and Harris playing next to each other would be pretty cool

stoops the eternal pimp
1/23/2009, 09:21 AM
Iglesias, Day 4 from Matt McGuire:

Iglesias gained a lot of separation today with his route running and didn't drop any passes when I watched him. However, he definitely doesn't have the second gear to stretch the field and corners will recover against him in the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/23/2009, 09:23 AM
His note on Manny

Johnson was a late add, but he has displayed sure hands, confidence, and decent separation.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/23/2009, 09:52 AM
Video of Nic-Nic is a darn good interview..

Nic Harris (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e4b970)

ouleaf
1/23/2009, 11:53 AM
I think Iggy will definitely develop into a solid possession receiver at the next level. He is a hard worker too and if he tests well he could go as high as the 3rd round.

I think Nick moving to OLB will definitely help him out, if he gets picked up by a team with a 4-3 base D.

I still don't think you can pass up on Duke. If he can keep his weight down, he has all the tools to be an All-Pro Guard.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/23/2009, 04:14 PM
some notes from a former coworker who was at the Senior Bowl:

Thursday

Phil Loadholt was coached up about standing up too straight after initial contact. When he keeps good technique he can really maul, and he showed quicker feet today.

On Manny

he looks like he more than belongs here. In the red zone drill he demonstrated polished routes, quick cuts, and consistent ability to snatch the ball with his hands.

Desert Sapper
1/24/2009, 04:28 PM

UF's secondary was unbelievably fast AND quick. They recovered extremely well, including on the big INT at the end of the game. If he had elite speed, he probably would have been able to maintain the separation, whether they recovered or not.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2009, 08:12 PM
Cullen Harper has a baby arm...Him and Harrell...Maybe the worst collective group of QBs at the Senior Bowl ever

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2009, 08:16 PM
I m starting to figure out why everybody is so down on Loadholt this week...They had him overrated going in...Many guys are saying he's slipped from out of the early second to the 3rd or 4th...Those of us that had him in the middle of the draft somewhere got just what we expected this week

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2009, 08:44 PM
Manny and Iggy getting a lot of PT in the game..when Marvin Lewis had the North team go to a hurry up, they were the only ones on the field that seemed to know what was going on

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2009, 08:52 PM
Nathan Brown and Iggy have no chemistry at all...I think he is ready for Bomar to come back in

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2009, 08:59 PM
Harrell back in...skips a screen pass off the ground...Loadholt is playing at right tackle......

Harrell is awful

gotpoi73
1/26/2009, 08:01 PM
i didn't see nic actually play in the game.. did i miss something?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2009, 08:07 PM
tweaked hammy...sat the game out

gotpoi73
1/26/2009, 08:12 PM
thanks!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2009, 08:06 PM
For bri: A report on David Johnson from the Texas vs The Nation practices

David Johnson (QB-Tulsa) - At times Johnson eerily reminds us of another Tulsa QB who put up astronomical numbers, Paul Smith. Johnson has a quick release, although with a small hitch, and he puts great zip on his short and intermediate passes. Johnson surveys the field well, but he was very cautious in 7 on 7s and 11 on 11s, sometimes holding the ball too long - but it didn’t prevent him from throwing an interception. His arm strength to make the deep pass is inconsistent and he’s looking like a low upside project.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2009, 08:08 PM
Another Tulsa player Tarrion Adams

Tarrion Adams (RB-Tulsa) - Adams has been more like Ogbonnaya than Moore and Scott. A good all around back with some skills and value to an NFL team, but not a gamebreaker. Like the rest of the Texas RBs, he catches the ball with WR hands, and tracks the ball well - Adams hauled in a deep over the shoulder pass like a seasoned WR Tuesday. He’s also sudden and crisp through the breaks in his routes and cuts in his runs

Moton Hopkins III (DE-Tulsa) - Hopkins had a strong day because of his high motor play, and he split a double team to bust up a play in the backfield during 11 on 11s.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2009, 08:11 PM
Another footnote on a guy I've been following for a while Jason Boltus

Jason Boltus(Hartwick) - Boltus holds on to the ball too long, and sometimes displayed happy feet, but he threw with the best velocity of any QB here, and he didn’t seem to be exerting himself to do it. Boltus didn’t sacrifice much accuracy to gain speed, either. Boltus is very quick in drops, and there’s no doubt he has a cannon arm. He’s probably in the top three to five QBs we’ve seen this month on raw tools alone.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2009, 08:15 PM
Dang..Mike Reed weighed in at a whopping 293 lbs....293 lb linebacker...holy hell....

He has played pretty well but runs out of gas very quickly