PDA

View Full Version : I was just thinking

JLEW1818
1/13/2009, 02:21 AM
Say you’re a junior or RS sophomore….. and your a lock for being a first rounder…. But you go back to college……. YOU JUST TURNED DOWN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS……. I’m just saying that most people would not do that…..That has to be a crazy feeling, knowing that you “could” have been a millionaire……just saying people....

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 02:42 AM
I agree...but I don't.

If I played for Tech for example and I was a Jr or redhirt sophomore, I'd be likely to leave. On the other hand, If I was born in Norman like I was and we we were this close to a BCS title and a lifetime of glory in my home despite whatever happened to me as a pro...I think I'd roll Crimson all the way and live comfortably either way. I'm just too into OU I guess, but I couldn't do it in the situation you describe,

JLEW1818
1/13/2009, 02:46 AM
G. McCoy just made an investment......if he stays healthy

But one has to admit, he is taking a big risk …….

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 02:57 AM
Yep...But really...

A LEGEND if he stays. A CHAMPION if he stays. A HERO if he stays.

You get what I'm saying...and barring a truly career ending injury the man has plenty of reasons to believe that he can earb plenty next year. It's not like he's THAT known nationally. Should be, but go to LA or NY and say his name...

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 03:18 AM
Here...let me put it this way...

I grew up OU. I love the state of Oklahoma along with the University of Oklahoma. I have been to numerous games (maybe not as many as others here, but quite a few). If I had a scholarship to play football at my favorite university I would take it.

If I had the chance to leave early for millions of $$$$ and the NFL. It would probably be a hard decision. But I would also know, I would only have one chance to play football at OU or any college for that matter. I would not get those years back.

If I was good enough this year to go to the NFL, why would I not be good enough after the next year or two to play in the NFL?

Some things in life look great. But just how great are they when you get there?

I played college football. I loved every minute of it. Unfortunately I was not good enough for the NFL...But I miss playing with the brothers I made in college. So why pass it up for a quick money, when you know you can make that money in the very near future? The friends you make in College last a life time. The friends you make in the NFL may not be around next season!

It is hard decision to make. But if the kids think with their brains and not their wallets, they will ulitmately make the best choice in the long run.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 03:21 AM

You take that risk walking down the street at night too. You take that risk flying on an airplane or driving a car.

You never get your youth back...and once you start making money in the sport, you are no longer a youth. You have to grow up fast because you have everyone and their dogs coming to you asking for money. You learn real fast what that money brings. You will find out that you have relatives you did not know you had!

olevetonahill
1/13/2009, 05:25 AM
What 75 said
If Sam Had all his Degree requirements Out of the way ALA Matty Id say He would be gone In a New York Minute .
There Is still a lot at OU he wants and Needs to do.One More Year and He has accomplished them , Plus He has stated he is Going to Stay . I believe Him .
Rest easy My Brother He aint going anywhere . ;)

P3 Gator
1/13/2009, 07:36 AM
UF's pre-season starting tight end, Cornelius Ingram could have gone pro after last year but decided to come back for his senior year. Blew an ACL in fall camp. His rehab has gone well and he should perform well in the NFL combine, but he cost himself a lot of money. I understand coming back for the NC, but football is hard on the body and if you're looking at millions and decide to go back for a senior season, you're rolling the dice.

adoniijahsooner
1/13/2009, 07:40 AM

I don't consider what McCoy is doing a risk. If the guy gets hurt or doesn't have a great season, the worst that can happen is he falls back on his degree. Paul Thompson, Jason White, and Josh Huepel are not living paycheck to paycheck. So the idea that money is the cure all is only true to the person who deems it so, but not to everyone. I remember a guy who decided after going to a combine that he did not want to play, because he felt like a piece of meat.

aero
1/13/2009, 08:10 AM
At first blush, it would seem any player would be better served to stay and get his degree. Plus, as a fan, we always want them to stay but that's just being a fan. Sam's case is a little interesting. I personally think he needs another year of physical development. I haven't heard anything about his parents or their outlook on his career/degree, but that could be the big factor. With the season he had this year and with the O line losing some guys, I'd say take the money this year. Now I fully expect to reload next year and Sam could very well exceed what he did this year but I would say his best shot at maximizing dollars is to go this year. Of course, he would never go wrong staying. He just might not get as much money later.

Boomer Mooner
1/13/2009, 08:28 AM
I stated I thought he would, and probably should, go pro this year on an earlier thread. But looking at it now I think there are more compelling reasons to stay.

Insurance...As a Heisman Winner and based on all the speculation he would go in the first round if not be the first pick, he can maximize the payout he would get from the insurance.

Personal Goals...When I posted earlier it was before the NC game. I really figured we would win that one and then what would he have left to prove? I think Sam would probably like to come back and win the Championship.

Preparation for the Pros...I would love to see Sam grow into himself a bit before going pro. Colt really seemed to add a lot of muscle from the previous season to this one. Wouldn't hurt Sam to bulk up a wee bit before going.

boomermagic
1/13/2009, 10:58 AM
Sam is gone IMO.. I wish he would stay because I am a huge Sooner fan but Sam has already been injured and had to have surjery already will he risk an injury that could cost him Millions upon Millions ? I don't think so.. Sorry, But he's gone..

Leroy Lizard
1/13/2009, 12:05 PM
There aren't too many injuries a QB can sustain that would cost him any chance of an NFL career. Think about it: How many QBs are lost each year to injury and never recover?

RBs are different because speed is so important to them.