PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather lose 5 BCS bowl games...

PDXsooner
1/13/2009, 12:06 AM
...in a row, or win 5 straight Holiday Bowls?

rainiersooner
1/13/2009, 12:18 AM
Good point. Or put another way, would you rather be Texas, or Oklahoma?

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 12:19 AM
That's not even a real question Ranier...I'd rather be 0-12 and Oklahoma than undefeated BCS Champions and saxet

aero
1/13/2009, 12:31 AM
I'd rather not lose any game but I'd prefer to play in BCS games over 2nd tier bowls. If we're in BCS games, it means we did well and are in contention to win it all. 2nd tier bowls mean "nice" season, here's a consolation prize. I find it humorous that people act like somebody sucks because they lose championships. The Braves did NOT suck, the Bills did NOT suck, the Vikings did NOT suck. Did Marino suck because he never won the SB? Did Don Mattingly suck? Great teams and players. We've won our fair share. There's not another team out there that should be talking sh!t about us. We are the ONLY team to have played in 4 title games in 9 years. We have certainly had our run of losses in BCS games and, while it sucks big time for us, what other team can compare their bowl games and level of opponents. Boise and WV were good teams and its easy for other teams to point to those games as if we lost to bad teams but you know they wouldn't be talking smack if their teams had to play them. Win or lose, any time I'd rather be playing for the title or in contention. Win like a champion, lose like a champion. Relax.

rainiersooner
1/13/2009, 12:48 AM
That's not even a real question Ranier...I'd rather be 0-12 and Oklahoma than undefeated BCS Champions and saxet

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I agree!!!

And I think that's my answer vis-a-vis Holiday Bowl wins versus BCS bowl game losses. If we're in a BCS bowl, we've won our conference...something we've done 6 times and Saxet has done once. So that would be my vote....

Frozen Sooner
1/13/2009, 12:50 AM
Jack Mildren said it best. See below.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 12:59 AM

Damn right! Anyone wanna question Mildren???? Anyone????

Bueller?

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 01:00 AM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I agree!!!

And I think that's my answer vis-a-vis Holiday Bowl wins versus BCS bowl game losses. If we're in a BCS bowl, we've won our conference...something we've done 6 times and Saxet has done once. So that would be my vote....

Yep...You get it bud!

TopDawg
1/13/2009, 01:11 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about your signature. I have signatures turned off and am too lazy to change it. I can live without knowing what Mildren said, but if you don't mind.......

Anyway, this is an easy question to answer. Let's try some tougher ones. Would you rather lose 5 BCS bowl games in a row or...

Win 4 BCS (non-title) games and not qualify one year?
Win 3 BCS (non-title) games and lose 1 non BCS bowl and not qualify?
Win 2 BCS (non-title) games, lose 1 BCS title game and lose 2 non BCS bowls?
Win free socks for a lifetime?

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 01:18 AM
I'd rather lose and go back to Oklahoma's locker room than win and go back to anyone else's.-Jack Mildren

There ya go!

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 02:03 AM
I want the 3-8 seasons back. then at least we prove to the nation that we suck! [/sarcasm]

I say we win 5 straight BCS Bowls would be better. But I will settle for 6 Big 12 Titles instead if we do lose 5 straight!

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 02:09 AM
I'm with ya man!

JLEW1818
1/13/2009, 02:38 AM
Hard question to really answer......a team that went to 5 holidays bowls vs. 5 bcs bowls..... well 1 of those teams is not accomplishing anything but winning a meaningless December bowl consecutively........now trust me losing 5 bcs bowls in a row really really sucks....but to be honest I’m only really mad at 3 of those.....(lsu)(usc)(fl)..... those our the only 3 losses that we had a chance to be champions.... winning 5 holiday bowls does nothing for a program, but make them 10th best..ish....recruits want to play in BCS bowls, and take the chance of winning one. So yes I would rather lose 5 bcs bowls in a row, b/c the program will get better players and more money to develop….. as a fan I’ll take the criticism from friends, just as long as Our players have everything first class.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 02:45 AM
You know what though?

I've worn one of my Sooner caps every day since the game and I've received nothing but priase for OUr guys...on the west coast. Everyone I've talked to says we were better this year but that things just fell screwy in the game.

JLEW1818
1/13/2009, 02:47 AM
damn goal line......2 TIMES.................****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKK

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 02:54 AM
Man..I know...

AAAAHHHHRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pappy
1/13/2009, 03:18 AM
i think if we went and won 5 holiday bowls in a row we'd be looking for a new coach. losing 5 bcs bowls sucks too. you also didn't specify that we got into those 5 bcs bowls by winning our conference. so that means we didn't necessarily win our conference and got to the bcs games and still lost 5 times in a row in which case I think we'd again be looking for a new coach. winning the conference makes a big difference in this question.

that being said...I'd rather win 1 holiday bowl and 4 bcs bowls and have a 5 - 0 bowl record instead of a 4 - 6 after 10 years.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 03:25 AM
i think if we went and won 5 holiday bowls in a row we'd be looking for a new coach. losing 5 bcs bowls sucks too. you also didn't specify that we got into those 5 bcs bowls by winning our conference. so that means we didn't necessarily win our conference and got to the bcs games and still lost 5 times in a row in which case I think we'd again be looking for a new coach. winning the conference makes a big difference in this question.

that being said...I'd rather win 1 holiday bowl and 4 bcs bowls and have a 5 - 0 bowl record instead of a 4 - 6 after 10 years.

Of the 7 BCS games we have been too. Only 1 has been a result of not winning the Big 12 Championship. 2003.

The rest we have been the conference champs.

Chances are, if you do not win the Big 12 you are not going to a BCS Bowl.

pappy
1/13/2009, 03:45 AM
Of the 7 BCS games we have been too. Only 1 has been a result of not winning the Big 12 Championship. 2003.

The rest we have been the conference champs.

Chances are, if you do not win the Big 12 you are not going to a BCS Bowl.

yeah I know that too...but he didn't ask the question with the stipulation that it was based off our history...just would you rather lose 5 bcs or win 5 holiday bowls. and actually since 2000 we've had 2 teams in it 5 out of 8 years. so I can't really go with you on the "if you don't win the big 12 you aren't in a bcs bowl.

08 texas without winning the conference
07 kansas without winning the conference
04 texas without winning the conference
03 oklahoma without winning the conference (national title game)
01 nebraska without winning the conference (national title game)

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 03:56 AM
yeah I know that too...but he didn't ask the question with the stipulation that it was based off our history...just would you rather lose 5 bcs or win 5 holiday bowls. and actually since 2000 we've had 2 teams in it 5 out of 8 years. so I can't really go with you on the "if you don't win the big 12 you aren't in a bcs bowl.

08 texas without winning the conference
07 kansas without winning the conference
04 texas without winning the conference
03 oklahoma without winning the conference (national title game)
01 nebraska without winning the conference (national title game)

Not 5 out of 8 years. It would be 5 out of 12 years. So the odds are good if you do not win the conference then you are not going to a BCS game. Simple math bro, simple math.

pappy
1/13/2009, 04:21 AM
Not 5 out of 8 years. It would be 5 out of 12 years. So the odds are good if you do not win the conference then you are not going to a BCS game. Simple math bro, simple math.

before you throw the simple math bro, simple math comment...I said since 2000 in that comment which is 8 years and the bcs has been around since 1998 which would be 10 years not 12...still want to use the simple math comment?

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 04:26 AM
before you throw the simple math bro, simple math comment...I said since 2000 in that comment which is 8 years and the bcs has been around since 1998 which would be 10 years not 12...still want to use the simple math comment?

Actually it would be 11 years.

1. 1998
2. 1999
3. 2000
4. 2001
5. 2002
6. 2003
7. 2004
8. 2005
9. 2006
10. 2007
11. 2008

count 'em up!

Big 12's first year was in 1996. Actually 13 years but that is what I was referring too. Either way...who cares. point is if you don't win the Big 12, chances are you are not going to a BCS Bowl game.

Even if you go from 2000, that is 9 years not 8.
1. 2000
2. 2001
3. 2002
4. 2003
5. 2004
6. 2005
7. 2006
8. 2007
9. 2008

pappy
1/13/2009, 04:28 AM
ok so we both suck at math apparently...however since they added the 5th bcs bowl (the bcs national championship game) instead of just calling one of the bcs games the national title the big 12 has had 2 teams in a bcs bowl 2 out of 3 years. I don't know I think we're gonna end up agreeing to disagree.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 04:33 AM
Also pappy, since we are talking about OU and not the entire conference...OU has been to 7 BCS Bowl games. 6 of which resulted because we were Big 12 Champs. 1 was when were not Big 12 champs.

And you can go down the line.

Texas has been to 3 BCS Bowls. 2 of which resulted from Big 12 Championships. 1 when they were not.

A&M 1 BCS Appearance, Big 12 Champs.
KU 1 BCS Appearance, not big 12 champs.
Colorado 2 BCS Bowls, 2 Big 12 Championships.
Nebraska 3 BCS appearances. 2 Big 12 Championships.

see what I am trying to get at?

pappy
1/13/2009, 04:36 AM
see it. I think now though with the 5th bcs bowl game. the big 12 has a great chance at sending 2 teams most years

pappy
1/13/2009, 04:37 AM
anyway the important thing is that we start winning some of these bcs games.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 04:40 AM
anyway the important thing is that we start winning some of these bcs games.

I can agree with that. ;)

And I see what you are saying about the 5th BCS Bowl.

hell this year there should have been 3 Big 12 in the BCS.

TexasLidig8r
1/13/2009, 09:25 AM
Good point. Or put another way, would you rather be Texas, or Oklahoma?

Actually.. of our 5 bowl game winning streak, 3 have been in BCS bowls including one of which is regarded as one of the greatest college football championship games of all time.

With Bob's inability to win BCS games, I understand why you were confused.

Continue.

TopDawg
1/13/2009, 10:19 AM
Actually.. of our 5 bowl game winning streak, 3 have been in BCS bowls including one of which is regarded as one of the greatest college football championship games of all time.

Yeah, we had the misfortune of completely shutting down the team we beat in the BCS championship game. We would've been better off to barely win like you guys. Then we'd be legendary!!!

But, seriously, congrats on your convincing win against a great Ohio State team.

No, seriously.

I'm not kidding.

Seriously.

TexasLidig8r
1/13/2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, we had the misfortune of completely shutting down the team we beat in the BCS championship game. We would've been better off to barely win like you guys. Then we'd be legendary!!!

Completely shutting down? Like.. to the tune of 24 points and with them taking a knee at the end of the game when they were once again, in scoring position?

And yes. .it's always better to win than lose.

But, seriously, congrats on your convincing win against a great Ohio State team.

Thanks. Here's hoping Sam returns next year and both programs enjoy a great year.

:D

sooneron
1/13/2009, 10:27 AM
If only the bucknuts had an offense. Lid would not be over here lying to the effect of Bob's inability. Which, is a lie seeing, as how Bob has won two BCS bowl games.

TopDawg
1/13/2009, 10:38 AM
Let me say it again, this time with emphasis for the reading impaired.

So, yes, two points given to them by our long snapper would be completely shutting them down.

With Mack's inability to get to multiple BCS championship games, I understand why you were confused.

MamaMia
1/13/2009, 10:42 AM
We have this thread every year. The number just gets higher. :(

For the record I would rather our team have the honor of playing for the National Championship and lose, as hard as it is to say that word, than to play in any other game, however being blown out like in TGOWWDNS is an experience I would much rather live without. :O

Penguin
1/13/2009, 11:12 AM
I'm assuming you're talking about your signature. I have signatures turned off and am too lazy to change it. I can live without knowing what Mildren said, but if you don't mind.......

Anyway, this is an easy question to answer. Let's try some tougher ones. Would you rather lose 5 BCS bowl games in a row or...

Win free socks for a lifetime?

Hmmm.... I'll have to think about that. They make nice socks these days.

Desert Sapper
1/13/2009, 11:44 AM
I'll say this...

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have played and lost
Than never to have played at all.

SouthFortySooner
1/13/2009, 01:55 PM
I'll say this...

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have played and lost
Than never to have played at all.

Well said, well said ole chap!

sendbaht
1/13/2009, 08:11 PM
I'd take the 5 wins at the Holiday Bowl. Losing hurts so much and a win at a Holiday Bowl feels good. That's how i see it.

OK2LA
1/13/2009, 10:02 PM
damn goal line......2 TIMES.................****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKK

Still lose by 4

pappy
1/14/2009, 03:13 AM
Still lose by 4

actually we should've scored a td on the 1st trip and gotten atleast a fg on the 2nd trip which would've tied the game at 24

Leroy Lizard
1/14/2009, 04:19 AM
With Bob's inability to win BCS games, I understand why you were confused.

I have a question: How can Mack Brown coach a team like Texas for the last 10 years and only win one conference title? Is he the Switzer-era Tom Osborne of the conference?

trey
1/14/2009, 11:14 AM
i'd rather lose 5 bcs bowl games, but since we are dealing in hypotheticals...what if the 5 holiday bowl wins were all blowouts vs. usc. in that scenario, i'd take the holiday bowls.

Crucifax Autumn
1/14/2009, 11:20 AM
Can we just win 5 BCS games in a row instead?

TopDawg
1/14/2009, 11:40 AM
I'd take the 5 wins at the Holiday Bowl. Losing hurts so much and a win at a Holiday Bowl feels good. That's how i see it.

The off-season feels a little better after a bowl win, but the actual season feels better during a BCS year.

In our 5 BCS bowl-losing seasons, we've gone 58-6 during the regular season and conference championship. If we take our regular season in our Holiday Bowl-winning season and multiply it by 5, we'd be 35-20.

JLEW1818
1/14/2009, 11:41 AM
The off-season feels a little better after a bowl win, but the actual season feels better during a BCS year.

In our 5 BCS bowl-losing seasons, we've gone 58-6 during the regular season and conference championship. If we take our regular season in our Holiday Bowl-winning season and multiply it by 5, we'd be 35-20.

yep

UTgradOUfan
1/14/2009, 05:06 PM
I don't want this to get lost in this thread, esp. since Lid is lurking. The Whorns under Mack Brown have won ONE conference championship- ONE!
That is the only conference championship he has EVER won as head coach. Since the obvious implication of this thread was to compare whether one would prefer to have a Whorn-type record (as per the Holiday Bowl reference) or our record i.e. Smack's record at UT or Stoop's record at OU.
NO CONTEST
Agonize all we may about getting so close to NCs #'s 8 & 9 there is absolutely no doubt about the better program. OU and/or UT may not always play for the NC every year(although in the case of us Sooner fans excuse us for it feeling that way) we always are playing for the BigXII South. Smack blathers on and on about that being the team's goal on the airwaves here in Austin ad anuseum. And for all his arm-waving about 10 win seasons he can never get out from under the brutal reality that his record in getting to and winning the CCG is abysmal. It is one of my favorite facts that stops all Whorn fans in their hopeless efforts to establish that their football program is in the same class as Oklahoma's.
Yes, I am a graduate of the University of Texas and I live in Austin. I am proud of my degree and of the school from which I recieved it. I love the city of Austin and the Hill Country in general.
BUT the average Whorn fan is an insufferable and delusional dolt. The "But we're Texas" attitude is as real as it is idiotic and wears real thin real quick. Smack Brown is the whiniest grown man I have ever had any exposure to. Deloss Dodds is an evil idiot(I still remember what he did to Abe Lemons). And it still only takes about 2 minutes for someone in most any group of Whorn football fans to recall that "we were the last all-white NC team". It is real revealing how these closet bigots hold so tight to that one. UGH!
So, would you rather be a Sooner or a Longhorn?
Ask a recruit if being a Sooner and playing in CCGs and going on to play every other year on an even bigger stage has more appeal than playing in the Holiday Bowl.
OR
Would thay rather play for the Whorns who named their field after a Sooner star.

Use any yardstick you care to-The Sooner Football Program is superior to ANYTHING in Texas.