PDA

View Full Version : Florida State's Rolle headed for Oxford

bluedogok
1/12/2009, 10:41 PM
On other "good" news as opposed to players behaving badly in other threads.....

CBS Sports - Report: Florida State's Rolle headed for Oxford (http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11252491)
Jan. 12, 2009

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -Florida State safety Myron Rolle will study at Oxford instead of entering this year's NFL draft.

Rolle won a Rhodes scholarship in November and plans to seek a one-year master's degree in medical anthropology, The New York Times reported Monday in an entry on its college football blog.

"I'm very excited to go," Rolle wrote in a text message to the newspaper.

Rolle, projected to be an early round pick, said he plans to enter the 2010 NFL draft.

Rolle, from Galloway, N.J., got his undergraduate degree in pre-med after two and a half years, and has been taking graduate courses at Florida State this year.

After his NFL career, Rolle has said he plans to attend medical school and then open a clinic for the needy in the Bahamas.

Congrats to Rolle.

Scotty
1/12/2009, 10:46 PM
Why the hell anyone would want to go to Ole Miss is beyond me .

rainiersooner
1/12/2009, 10:48 PM
Good for him - congratulations, that kid is a stud.

GG84
1/12/2009, 10:50 PM
He was always a step to slow against the Gators. I will miss him being in the FSU secondary.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 11:00 PM
It's a great story. Impressive kid.

Curly Bill
1/12/2009, 11:17 PM
Rhodes Scholar, pffffft...been there, done that.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2009, 11:27 PM
I must be missing something in how Rhodes Scholarships are awarded. What exactly has he done academically that is so impressive?

All I have l learned so far is that he has a 3.75 GPA in pre-med (so has half the pre-med majors in the country) and finished his degree in two and a half years (pretty good, but not uncommon in the era of Advanced Placement). I looked a little more and found that he plays the saxophone (big whoop), sang in a school play (yeah, okay) and was the sports editor of his school newspaper (which should academically disqualify him, heh).

Is there something about his academics that I have overlooked?

sooner59
1/12/2009, 11:35 PM
I must be missing something in how Rhodes Scholarships are awarded. What exactly has he done academically that is so impressive?

All I have l learned so far is that he has a 3.75 GPA in pre-med (so has half the pre-med majors in the country) and finished his degree in two and a half years (pretty good, but not uncommon in the era of Advanced Placement). I looked a little more and found that he plays the saxophone (big whoop), sang in a school play (yeah, okay) and was the sports editor of his school newspaper (which should academically disqualify him, heh).

As a fellow pre-med senior, I will give it up to him. Making a 3.75 GPA in pre-med courses is not easy by itself, let alone in 2 1/2 years. Like you said, though, its not "completely" out of the ordinary. But to do that while playing Division I football is just amazing given his time commitments. I give it up to him. Rhodes Scholarships are awarded to well-rounded, gifted students. He fits this category. I have no problem with him winning the scholarship.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 11:39 PM
I'll tell you this much: I really enjoyed my days at Oxford. Lots of great pubs. Man, I loved England.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 11:40 PM
Well, OK, it was really just an afternoon in Oxford. But I stayed a couple of days with friends who lived in Abingdon, which is just a few miles away.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 11:41 PM
I'm not kidding about the pubs, though. Mmmm... ...beer.

TXBOOMER
1/12/2009, 11:43 PM

Took me a minute....LOL.....Good ol Oxford Mississippi

GottaHavePride
1/12/2009, 11:44 PM

You have to apply. Your University has to endorse you, and you submit several letters of recommendation from professors, as well as the application itself and several things you write on your own. Then they select a certain number of people from each district (which can be several states) to go through an interview process. After THAT they decide who gets a Rhodes Scholarship.

And the guidelines say specifically that Cecil Rhodes didn't want winners of his scholarship to be "mere bookworms" - he wanted well rounded individuals committed to doing work that benefits others.

It's like getting a federal grant. Putting together a good application is key.

Viking Kitten
1/12/2009, 11:54 PM

Are you the fat, zitty Internet guy that talks about how you'd never date Jennifer Anniston because she's not really "your type"?

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2009, 11:56 PM
As a fellow pre-med senior, I will give it up to him. Making a 3.75 GPA in pre-med courses is not easy by itself, let alone in 2 1/2 years. Like you said, though, its not "completely" out of the ordinary.

Especially considering that pre-med majors are the biggest grade whores on campus. "Give me an A! Give me an A!" I have taught at two universities with pre-med programs and the students were insufferable.

Not saying Rolle did that. Just saying that pre-med majors with high GPAs are fairly common.

And the guidelines say specifically that Cecil Rhodes didn't want winners of his scholarship to be "mere bookworms" - he wanted well rounded individuals committed to doing work that benefits others.

I suppose you're right. I had always thought Rhodes Scholars to be the cream of the crop academically. It sounds more like he was a very good football player and a fairly good student.

rainiersooner
1/13/2009, 12:07 AM

Do you hate little puppies?

sooner59
1/13/2009, 12:36 AM
Especially considering that pre-med majors are the biggest grade whores on campus. "Give me an A! Give me an A!" I have taught at two universities with pre-med programs and the students were insufferable.

What do you want a cookie or something? I know plenty of ********* people like that but its not like all of us pre-meds are. Sounds like you are jealous or something. Neither I, nor any of my friends (that I know of) have ever begged for a grade. I take what I get...if I get a B or something, then I could have tried harder. I deserved it. I will say that I am just under a 3.75 in my pre-med studies, and I worked damn hard for it. There is no way I could have done near as well as Rolle if I were in his position. Its admirable. That was the point I was trying to get across. He seems too humble to beg anyway.

rainiersooner
1/13/2009, 12:42 AM
It's not admirable. I hate the world and everyone in it!!!

illinisooner
1/13/2009, 01:06 AM

Have you seen the Grove? If you have, then you know why guys want to go there.

Scott D
1/13/2009, 02:41 PM

Not saying Rolle did that. Just saying that pre-med majors with high GPAs are fairly common.

I suppose you're right. I had always thought Rhodes Scholars to be the cream of the crop academically. It sounds more like he was a very good football player and a fairly good student.

How many of those pre-meds you taught were also making a full commitment to division 1 football at the same time?

Scotty
1/13/2009, 02:52 PM
Have you seen the Grove? If you have, then you know why guys want to go there.

Actually, I have. Went there for a SEC game a couple of years ago.

However, I doubt the tailgating scene is a deciding factor in any recruit's mind.:rolleyes:

texas bandman
1/13/2009, 03:20 PM

LOL That's what I thought from the title. :D

TheGodfather889
1/13/2009, 06:05 PM
I remember when Myron Rolle was being recruited and he was a very highly rated safety, definitely a blue-chip recruit. I wanted him to come to OU very badly and was disappointed when he decided to go to FSU. I didn't realize that he was very intelligent as well as talented and ambitious about other things besides football. That's very commendable that he was a Rhodes Scholar. I really figured him as just another freak of an athlete safety that would play his three years in school and leave for the NFL.

bluesmagoo
1/13/2009, 11:56 PM
What do you want a cookie or something? I know plenty of ********* people like that but its not like all of us pre-meds are. Sounds like you are jealous or something. Neither I, nor any of my friends (that I know of) have ever begged for a grade. I take what I get...if I get a B or something, then I could have tried harder. I deserved it. I will say that I am just under a 3.75 in my pre-med studies, and I worked damn hard for it. There is no way I could have done near as well as Rolle if I were in his position. Its admirable. That was the point I was trying to get across. He seems too humble to beg anyway.

I never have understood why someone would actually major in "Pre-Med", as if that is a real discipline. What are you going to do with it, if you don't get into med school? Teach? HAHAHA. And I can laugh, because I'm a physician. I was an anthro major, among other things. Med school sucks anyway. You really don't know anything until you've been out for a few years. Good luck.

SoonerShark
1/14/2009, 12:13 AM
Great effort with perspective. Wow!

sooner59
1/14/2009, 12:38 AM
I never have understood why someone would actually major in "Pre-Med", as if that is a real discipline. What are you going to do with it, if you don't get into med school? Teach? HAHAHA. And I can laugh, because I'm a physician. I was an anthro major, among other things. Med school sucks anyway. You really don't know anything until you've been out for a few years. Good luck.

Did I say my major was "pre-med"? No. My major is Biomedical Sciences. I also have minors in History of Science and Anthropology. And yeah med-school will suck, everyone that I know in it right now says so. But its worth it if thats what you want to do. And I could care less if you are a physician or not. Doesn't mean you are a good one.

sooner59
1/14/2009, 12:46 AM
The only reason I chimed in anyway was to have Rolle's back. Something good happens for someone and some people just want to hate them for it, or at least not be happy for them. I thought it was great for him. Im done getting off-subject in this thread.

Leroy Lizard
1/14/2009, 03:57 AM
I never have understood why someone would actually major in "Pre-Med", as if that is a real discipline. What are you going to do with it, if you don't get into med school? Teach? HAHAHA.

Rolle's major is exercise science.

Something good happens for someone and some people just want to hate them for it, or at least not be happy for them. I thought it was great for him.

No one's hating on him. I was just expecting a grander academic career for a Rhodes Scholarship. Only 32 are given out each year in the entire country.

I have taught many students who were borderline genius, as in "What's the point of even testing them?" I had one Chinese student who was a virtuoso violinist and finished an electrical engineering degree in two years with a solid 4.0 GPA, and I imagine every campus has a number of those students around.

Now, I admit that maybe there was other stuff on his application that I am not aware of.

BigRedJed
1/14/2009, 12:06 PM
:les: DOCTOR FIGHT!!

Freelemur
1/14/2009, 12:14 PM
he was pretty much a bust as a player. Mcshay calling him a second or 3rd round pick is based on size and hype alone. I cant remember him making a single big play in a big game.

olevetonahill
1/14/2009, 12:34 PM
Leroy Maybe you should Go back and study to become a Proctoligist .
You Might Find Yer head .

bluedogok
1/14/2009, 10:26 PM
You really don't know anything until you've been out for a few years.
That's pretty much true for any major/profession unless you stay in the academic world.

olevetonahill
1/15/2009, 01:03 AM
You really don't know anything until you've been out for a few years. Good luck.

I agree . Hell I was 5 or 6 Before I learned to read :D

olevetonahill
1/15/2009, 02:30 AM
Did I say my major was "pre-med"? No. My major is Biomedical Sciences. I also have minors in History of Science and Anthropology. And yeah med-school will suck, everyone that I know in it right now says so. But its worth it if thats what you want to do. And I could care less if you are a physician or not. Doesn't mean you are a good one.

My Major was Forestry and Parks Management .
MY Minor was In Smartassolgy :D

Leroy Lizard
1/15/2009, 03:12 AM
Leroy Maybe you should Go back and study to become a Proctoligist

The dumb**** can't even spell.

sooner59
1/15/2009, 03:16 AM
My Major was Forestry and Parks Management .
MY Minor was In Smartassolgy :D

Well I try...heh.