PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Moreland & Jimmy Stevens

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 07:47 PM
Any reason Stoops didnt burn Way's red shirt? Did he need development? Is he better kicker than these 2 guys? I don't want to sit through another year of holding my breath when we try pat's.

Crimsontothecore
1/12/2009, 07:48 PM
I heard Way wasn't getting it done in practice either.

swardboy
1/12/2009, 07:50 PM
I heard Way wasn't getting it done in practice either.

Wow.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 07:50 PM
I can't imagine Stoops would have worried about pulling a RS if he thought he could get a better kicker.

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 07:54 PM
bad news for next year if we have close game and need a clutch kicker. We we have been spoiled at placekicker.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 07:59 PM
bad news for next year if we have close game and need a clutch kicker. We we have been spoiled at placekicker.

Who knows. After competition in the spring and fall camps, the guys we have may be much better.

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 08:02 PM
Thats true.

Collier11
1/12/2009, 08:20 PM
he wasnt as good or not good enough to burn a RS...and in all fairness, the last half of the season Jimmy Stevens kicked pretty well although I doubt he is the kicker of the future

OU-HSV
1/12/2009, 08:45 PM
I've said this before...all I know is I remember when Tress Way was kicking at Union and when I watched them play a couple games on t.v. that kid was kicking it out of the endzone on kickoffs consistently. And I'm talking out of the back of the endzone. Seems like he was a very accurate fg kicker too back then. So if nothing else it seems we could have utilized his leg strength on kickoffs this season, may have helped our kick coverage out.
I still am guessing that he's the best kicker we've got...and we shall see that next season. Someone will have to bump this thread at that point and either call me out on it or tell me my guess was correct. :D

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 09:02 PM
We're all hoping to *not* call you out. But I still doubt Stoops would value the RS on a kicker enough to endanger a shot at a title. Maybe Way doesn't practice well or is having problems w/o the kicking tee...

OU-HSV
1/12/2009, 09:09 PM
We're all hoping to *not* call you out. But I still doubt Stoops would value the RS on a kicker enough to endanger a shot at a title. Maybe Way doesn't practice well or is having problems w/o the kicking tee...

Oh I agree completely, that's what surprised me this season. I figured after seeing our kickers early on, they would've at least given Tress some playing time to see how he does in game situations.
I mean seriously, who cares if Jimmy Stevens or Matthew Moreland practice better or not...the bottom line is he was too inconsistent in actual games. That's why I was shocked when Stoops didn't pull Tress' r/s off. But maybe he figured we were putting up enough points that missing occasional field goals and extra points weren't going to matter. That way he could keep Tress ready for a long college kicking career.

(And I'm not meaning to tear down Jimmy Stevens or Matthew, maybe they'll be able to improve before next year as well)

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 09:18 PM
Oh I agree completely, that's what surprised me this season. I figured after seeing our kickers early on, they would've at least given Tress some playing time to see how he does in game situations.
I mean seriously, who cares if Jimmy Stevens or Matthew Moreland practice better or not...the bottom line is he was too inconsistent in actual games. That's why I was shocked when Stoops didn't pull Tress' r/s off. But maybe he figured we were putting up enough points that missing occasional field goals and extra points weren't going to matter. That way he could keep Tress ready for a long college kicking career.

(And I'm not meaning to tear down Jimmy Stevens or Matthew, maybe they'll be able to improve before next year as well)

No one thinks that, and thats not the reason I started this thread. Kicker could have been a serious problem this year, and it needs to improve next year.

Breadburner
1/12/2009, 09:23 PM
I've said this before...all I know is I remember when Tress Way was kicking at Union and when I watched them play a couple games on t.v. that kid was kicking it out of the endzone on kickoffs consistently. And I'm talking out of the back of the endzone. Seems like he was a very accurate fg kicker too back then. So if nothing else it seems we could have utilized his leg strength on kickoffs this season, may have helped our kick coverage out.
I still am guessing that he's the best kicker we've got...and we shall see that next season. Someone will have to bump this thread at that point and either call me out on it or tell me my guess was correct. :D

This is true...I watched the kid for 3 years.....

JLEW1818
1/12/2009, 09:35 PM
who knows , we brought Crow in against texas b/c he was so called "the most ready at MLB" yet box ended up starting at the end..... so who knows.