PDA

View Full Version : Major Wright hit: Pass Interference and leading with the helmet...

DAWGS
1/12/2009, 04:27 PM
What is your opinion on this play? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o90ZtV9DKQA)

If hit pause on the replay at the right time, you can see the ball hit Wright on the back of his helmet/neck before it touched (if it every did touch) your WRs hands.

O yea...leading with the helmet into another players face is frowned upon as well in the rules.

SoonersEnFuego
1/12/2009, 04:31 PM
It was too close to call it a penalty.

Leading with the helmet is frowned upon but it's not really a big deal until you get to the pros. If he was a pro, he would've been fined. No doubt.

catsigater
1/12/2009, 04:39 PM
edit:

He got there early.

It was pass interference, no doubt. And they could've called spearing. What you can't see from that angle is if th DB's shoulder hit first.

Hot Rod
1/12/2009, 04:44 PM
Nic Harris got flagged for getting close to the helmet but making the hit on the shoulder pads against a Tech receiver. It's a judgment call apparently.

TUSooner
1/12/2009, 04:44 PM
So we won after all? AWESOME!!

:rolleyes:

But seriously, I thought that was PI at the time because of how the ball hit the d-back's back. But Thom Brennamanananananan was busy clearing his throat for his next teb0gasm and didn't say anything about it.

Desert Sapper
1/12/2009, 05:00 PM
Is it time to drop that particular play, which, although probably pass interference, had about as much to do with the outcome of the game as me shouting at the screen when it happened?

Circle City Gator
1/12/2009, 05:09 PM
Darned close, could be a bad call (I don't think it was, but I'm as biased as you are), but it did not change the outcome of the game. The game was pretty poorly called BOTH WAYS. It did not effect the outcome. There have been games where it did, but this was not one of them.

OUMallen
1/12/2009, 05:12 PM
I think 84 on the sidelines should have been flagged for taunting. Other than that, too close to call. Good play on the ball by the defender and I think it might have hit him in the helmet like the original poster said. The only way that's a PI call is if the ref doesn't like that the defender never looked for/saw the ball.

Harry Beanbag
1/12/2009, 05:44 PM
It should have definitely been called PI or UC on the sideline, or both. It didn't decide the game though, it was like the third play or something.

And yeah, those officials were completely lost, they didn't see teams that athletic all season long in the ACC, which might have had something to do with it.

OUMallen
1/12/2009, 06:32 PM
I thought there were were no-call PIs. But the UC on the sideline a no-call?? I'm prety sure that gathering around, standing over, and taunting a player that just got hit should be a flag. It WOULD be in the middle of the field. Why no flag? I dunno.

Dan Thompson
1/12/2009, 06:39 PM
There is still picture on here somewhere, someone added it to one of my earlier posts.

It was clearly an early hit and the player is leading with the helment.

rainiersooner
1/12/2009, 06:48 PM
Generally, I would say time to move on...but there's a big, gaping 8/9 month hole before next season, and I'm still in shock from the game itself...so HELL YEAH THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A FLAG!!!

Dan Thompson
1/12/2009, 06:51 PM
Here is the earlier post, look at reply #5.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128393

snp
1/12/2009, 07:02 PM
It was too close to call it a penalty.

Leading with the helmet is frowned upon but it's not really a big deal until you get to the pros. If he was a pro, he would've been fined. No doubt.

No

Points of Emphasis

It is noted that the Code emphasizes the following unethical practices: “Using the helmet as a weapon. The helmet is for protection of the player...” and “players and coaches should emphasize the elimination of spearing.” Every participant in the collegiate football scene shares a responsibility for ethical conduct that enhances the future of this American tradition.

I think the DPI is too close for an official to call in realtime. I watched it in 1/15th speed and I could clearly see that Manny was jolted by Wright before the ball got to his shoulder pad/Manny's hand. But that was the definition of a spear and it should have been called.

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 07:14 PM
Pass Int no doubt, but it wasn't called and we have to move on.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2009, 07:58 PM
[Horn fan]What about all the holding that wasn't called?!?! I swear Florida was holding on every play! I have a still shot of one play where it is clear that the Gator offensive linemen have their hands on our defenders. When will Stoops learn that the game has changed and you have to hold on the offensive line?[/Horn fan]

liti-gator
1/12/2009, 09:26 PM
Any chance that the ball hit Wright before he hit Johnson? If so, it's a pass break up and the receiver is fair game.

I don't think Wright's helmet made contact with Johnson. His shoulder hit Johnson right in the chest before his head got close enough. If there was helmet to helmet contact at that speed, at least one of those guys wouldn't have got up for several minutes.

The only way to know for sure is to ask the guys involved or have a camera farther down the sideline to see the space between the players as the ball came in.

Oh, and the OU O-line was holding all game too.

delhalew
1/12/2009, 09:27 PM
[Horn fan]What about all the holding that wasn't called?!?! I swear Florida was holding on every play! I have a still shot of one play where it is clear that the Gator offensive linemen have their hands on our defenders. When will Stoops learn that the game has changed and you have to hold on the offensive line?[/Horn fan]

Cute, but what Wright did is serious. Behavior like that is why we all hate USC for being the first class terds that they are.

Dan Thompson
1/12/2009, 09:42 PM
USC favorite defensive play is - late hit out of bounds.

RacerX
1/12/2009, 09:44 PM
I thought there were were no-call PIs. But the UC on the sideline a no-call?? I'm prety sure that gathering around, standing over, and taunting a player that just got hit should be a flag. It WOULD be in the middle of the field. Why no flag? I dunno.

bingo

snp
1/12/2009, 09:45 PM
Any chance that the ball hit Wright before he hit Johnson? If so, it's a pass break up and the receiver is fair game.

No. I've rewatched that play several times in slow motion and the reciever clearly gets hit before the ball is touched.

I don't think Wright's helmet made contact with Johnson. His shoulder hit Johnson right in the chest before his head got close enough. If there was helmet to helmet contact at that speed, at least one of those guys wouldn't have got up for several minutes.

The only way to know for sure is to ask the guys involved or have a camera farther down the sideline to see the space between the players as the ball came in.

It's still spearing. He hit him run on the chin or just underneath it. He used the crown of his helmet to punish a player. That is spearing.

SoonerSon
1/12/2009, 09:53 PM
When I saw the hit live, I thought it was a little early. But I agree with SNP after watching again on DVR. In the frame by frame slo-mo, Manny is jolted before he has a chance to catch the ball. PI could have easily been called...and should of, as Major appeared to be head hunting. I bet Urban got his guys keyed up to set the tone early...even with a penalty.

I do not agree with some, though, that it would not have had an impact on the game. It was our first drive...which we have scored on all year long, I believe. If Manny makes that catch on the 20, we most likely score on the next 2-3 plays...setting OUr offensive tone and confidence early. Instead, we fail to cash in on the subsequent interceptions and go into half, tied at 7...for first time all season.

All water under the bridge, of course...and have to keep on keeping on...but it's one of the many frustrating "what if" plays that stood out for me.

BTW......OU is up 38-27 over TX at half. Sahweet!!!

liti-gator
1/12/2009, 09:54 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong but with only one view/perspective of the play, I don't think you can say that his helmet hit Johnson's chin, helmet, etc... If the crown of Wright's helmet hit his jaw/chin, it would have been broken and probably a concussion.

liti-gator
1/12/2009, 09:56 PM
I love how people are saying it was a bad call after watching the play numerous times on frame-by-frame slow motion. You guys do realize that the ref has one chance at full speed to make the call, right?

SoonerSon
1/12/2009, 10:06 PM
I love how people are saying it was a bad call after watching the play numerous times on frame-by-frame slow motion. You guys do realize that the ref has one chance at full speed to make the call, right?

Yes, I realize that it would have been a tough call...but it was suspect...even at full speed, and it didn't get a second thought. That's football. Again, not complaining...just a little frustrating.

CrimsonJim
1/12/2009, 10:16 PM
I do not agree with some, though, that it would not have had an impact on the game. It was our first drive...which we have scored on all year long, I believe. If Manny makes that catch on the 20, we most likely score on the next 2-3 plays...setting OUr offensive tone and confidence early. Instead, we fail to cash in on the subsequent interceptions and go into half, tied at 7...for first time all season.

I agree with you 110%, SoonerSon. While it was only one play, it was one of a select few that changed/set the tone for the rest of the game.

Yes liti-gator, before you jump on me, I realize this single play did not change the outcome of the game - BUT it was one of a very select few, that when added together, made the difference in the entire game.

I am not making excuses. Gators made the plays when they had to and we didn't.....just sayin'. :)

soonerhubs
1/12/2009, 10:16 PM
The only way to know the absolute truth is to ask tt? ;)

liti-gator
1/12/2009, 10:28 PM
CrimsonJim - I never said anything about the effect it had on the game, but I'm guessing that Iglesias might have been thinking about getting drilled when Black stole that ball from him in the 4th quarter.

G8trGr8t
1/12/2009, 10:49 PM
If you want to talk about holding that went uncalled, please watch the OU OL play.

The Wright hit was a fraction of a second early but I think it happened too fast for the referee to be able to tell if it was early or timely. Cannot tell from the one angle if the helmet contacted the chin or not. Wright is a head hunter, always goes for the big hit. That cost us the Ole Miss game when he gave up a long touchdown late in the game.

In all fairness, OU fans need to look at the play of Nic Harris before they start throwing stones. He kneed Tebow in the head, pulled on Harvin's leg, and was jawing all game, even pre-game at Tebow. Tebow doesn't normally taunt like he did with the chomp as he was backing away from Harris and that tells me that Harris had gotten under his skin with a full game of trash talking.

Someday, people will learn not to call Tebow out or be prepared for what is coming. When Harris pulled on Harvin's leg for no reason, Tebow turned up the volume and put OU away. Like they say, you don't tug on Superman's cape.

Met a bunch of great OU fans at the game and spoke with some afterwards and all but two were really great people. Most were miffed that they had to play UF in Florida like they had to play LSU in New Orleans.

You have a great program, coaches, and fans. Congratulations are in order.

SoonerSon
1/12/2009, 11:10 PM
Someday, people will learn not to call The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah out or be prepared for what is coming. When Harris pulled on Harvin's leg for no reason, The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah turned up the volume and put OU away. Like they say, you don't tug on Superman's cape.

You have a great program, coaches, and fans. Congratulations are in order.

And you G8'rs wonder why there's a thread on "Why we hate TT..." :D

Thanks...yes, we do...and you guys are building your own tradition, too. Good luck in '09.

OUDoc
1/13/2009, 09:31 AM
Someday, people will learn not to call The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah out or be prepared for what is coming. When Harris pulled on Harvin's leg for no reason, The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah turned up the volume and put OU away. Like they say, you don't tug on Superman's cape.

That's funny.

1890MilesToNorman
1/13/2009, 09:37 AM
The hit was early but that was the point of the game when the officials were still figuring out what the hell that thing hanging around their neck was. At that point they thought it was for blowing plays dead for bogus reviews or to tell a good joke to the umpire.

sooner518
1/13/2009, 11:09 AM
watching live, i thought it was early and spearing. i thought it should have been called, but it WAS pretty close so I guess I can see how they didnt call it.

JGATOR
1/13/2009, 11:20 AM
Yes, I realize that it would have been a tough call...but it was suspect...even at full speed, and it didn't get a second thought. That's football. Again, not complaining...just a little frustrating.

A ref is NOT supposed to call a penalty unless it is clearly seen. So if it is "suspect" you can are not supposed call it. That play could have gone either way and I would not have argued. The ref in the best position to make the call had an obstucted view.

PLaw
1/13/2009, 11:41 AM
It was PI all the way. How can it not be? The ball hits the defender in the back while the defender is hitting the receiver into the third row.

That play was an early indicator of how the officiating would go the rest of the night.

BOOMER

47straight
1/13/2009, 11:45 AM
Three penalties could have been called. Two were obvious - spearing and unsportsmanlike conduct.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/13/2009, 12:04 PM

Oh, and the OU O-line was holding all game too.

Ok, this guy is an idiot.

I thought that at superslow speed that it was indeed a foul. On the other hand, at full speed I couldn't see it. I can't fault anyone for not seeing something that was that close.

A taunting penalty was warranted for their player (sideline) talking ****. Punk.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/13/2009, 12:43 PM
When I saw the hit live, I thought it was a little early. But I agree with SNP after watching again on DVR. In the frame by frame slo-mo, Manny is jolted before he has a chance to catch the ball. PI could have easily been called...and should of, as Major appeared to be head hunting. I bet Urban got his guys keyed up to set the tone early...even with a penalty.

WINNER! BEST ANSWER!(IMHO)

OklaPony
1/13/2009, 12:58 PM
When I watched it as it happened (on TV) I went completely bananas... I thought it was pretty obvious.

soonerfan715
1/13/2009, 01:03 PM
definitely PI, I thought it at the time and still do.

OUMallen
1/13/2009, 01:14 PM
Ok, this guy is an idiot.

I thought that at superslow speed that it was indeed a foul. On the other hand, at full speed I couldn't see it. I can't fault anyone for not seeing something that was that close.

A taunting penalty was warranted for their player (sideline) talking ****. Punk.

This is where I fall. Probably was PI, can't blame the refs for not calling it in real-time, but the taunting almost certainly warranted a 15 yarder.

texas bandman
1/13/2009, 01:19 PM
On my 50 inch HD plasma it was very obvious. I was screaming at the refs as soon as the play happened. If called, it could have changed the shape of flow of the game. But scoring from the 1 yard line would have been been just as good. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...I hate those words!!

olevetonahill
1/13/2009, 01:27 PM
It dont matter WE lost Get over it .

Jason White's Third Knee
1/13/2009, 02:21 PM

Bossy old fart.

Bonehead
1/13/2009, 02:24 PM
According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association's 2005 Football Rules and Interpretations: "No player shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram an opponent or attempt to punish him. There shall be no spearing. No player shall strike a runner with the crown or the top of his helmet...."

texas bandman
1/13/2009, 03:05 PM

Okay, I'll never mention it again (but it still sucks) :D

L-Boy
1/13/2009, 10:08 PM
This is where I fall. Probably was PI, can't blame the refs for not calling it in real-time, but the taunting almost certainly warranted a 15 yarder.

I agree with your assessment of the play - technically PI, but the margin of time is so fast that human eye can't really judge. As for taunting, I don't think they call taunting too much on the teams own sideline.