PDA

View Full Version : McCoy staying for junior year...

Straz1999
1/12/2009, 04:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3828320

A sign of others to follow?? I sure hope so.

continentalpong
1/12/2009, 04:13 PM
Reportedly, McCoy has been trying to round up the underclassmen who are thinking about the draft and talking them into staying.

http://www.windmilltilting.com/ponderos/source-mccoy-trying-to-convince-players-to-return

MarylandSooner
1/12/2009, 04:13 PM
I down, three to go.

Boomer.....
1/12/2009, 04:15 PM
Sweet!

Straz1999
1/12/2009, 04:17 PM
I sure hope he has a nice sit-down with Sammy Boy and Jermaine. I do agree that it would be hard to see Gresham improving his draft status any more than it already is, but I guess you never know. I too think Sam stays, Trent stays and I pretty much think Gresham is a goner. Our defense is gonna be pretty dang good next year. Nic Harris will be hard to replace, though.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 04:18 PM
One other interesting tidbit was about Gresham. There’s actually a sliver of hope that he’ll return, although how he could possibly improve his draft position is beyond me.

The answer is he may not be motivated completely by draft position. The majority of players are, but Leinart came back because he liked the college experience.

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 04:18 PM
Yeeesssssssss!!!!

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 04:19 PM
Come-on Sammy and Jermaine!!! Stay!!!

Desert Sapper
1/12/2009, 04:21 PM
The answer is he may not be motivated completely by draft position. The majority of players are, but Leinart came back because he liked the college experience.

Leinart was the king of LA. Now what is he? An overpaid benchwarmer? He was smart to go back. Money is farrrrr from everything, especially when you don't have to worry about it much.

Gresh is an Oklahoma kid, as is Sam, as is GK. I think we are fortunate that those three are Okies. Maybe they can sway Trent to stay, too.

continentalpong
1/12/2009, 04:22 PM
Boulder. If you saw Antonio Gates yesterday, Gresham is his twin. As much as I'd love for him to stay, I really don't know why he would. He's as ready as AD and Roy were.

KingDavid
1/12/2009, 04:24 PM
Reportedly, McCoy has been trying to round up the underclassmen who are thinking about the draft and talking them into staying.

http://www.windmilltilting.com/ponderos/source-mccoy-trying-to-convince-players-to-return

McCoy is such a stud. What a leader.

Part of me wishes this would have been Bradford.

Toronto Sooner
1/12/2009, 04:27 PM
Great stuff, indeed. The way our D played in 3 or the last 4 games (against ranked teams), and the way we are set up next year, it may be an awesome year next year D wise.

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 04:29 PM
McCoy coming back is huge. No Matter what happens this gives the team a chance to be really good, especially if we have to break in a new qb. Early on we may simplify the offense if Sam leaves, and just play hard nosed football and stifling D.

TMcGee86
1/12/2009, 04:31 PM
Man, that D-Line rotation is going to freaking rawk next year.

McCoy, McGee, McFarland & Grainger.

Sounds like an Irish law firm. :D

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/12/2009, 04:32 PM
Awesome...Our defense is going to be great!!!

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 04:34 PM
Boulder. If you saw Antonio Gates yesterday, Gresham is his twin. As much as I'd love for him to stay, I really don't know why he would. He's as ready as AD and Roy were.

I don't disagree. The McShay article postulated there is no reason for JG to stay since he couldn't improve his draft position. I'm saying that's a draft-centric way of looking at the world and there are other factors for some players. I fully expect Gresham to declare and don't blame him - but I don't know his motivations and neither does McShay.

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 04:37 PM
I sure hope he has a nice sit-down with Sammy Boy and Jermaine. I do agree that it would be hard to see Gresham improving his draft status any more than it already is, but I guess you never know. I too think Sam stays, Trent stays and I pretty much think Gresham is a goner. Our defense is gonna be pretty dang good next year. Nic Harris will be hard to replace, though.

I hear Joseph Ibiloye is a gonna be a star, and at 6-4 205, I dont see too many deep balls going towards him.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/07-08/video/m-footbl/02feb/20080206_joseph_ibiloye.wmv&school=okla&

continentalpong
1/12/2009, 04:41 PM
McCoy is such a stud. What a leader.

Part of me wishes this would have been Bradford.

Well, if what I'm hearing is true, McCoy's trying to lead by example here. I think his draft position would probably be in about the same range as Sam's, so hopefully this decision has some sway.

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 04:41 PM
Next years line will be the most dominant stoops has had period. Adrian Taylor is a good player too.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/12/2009, 04:42 PM
I hear Joseph Ibiloye is a gonna be a star, and at 6-4 205, I dont see too many seep balls going towards him.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/07-08/video/m-footbl/02feb/20080206_joseph_ibiloye.wmv&school=okla&

I wonder how fast he is??

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 04:44 PM
Check out this horn board. Caution foul language.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27344&sid=8da6ab4f8d554c21c21955e335824899

Toronto Sooner
1/12/2009, 04:46 PM
Man, that D-Line rotation is going to freaking rawk next year.

McCoy, McGee, McFarland & Grainger.

Sounds like an Irish law firm. :D

Don't forget about A. Taylor too - he is excellent also. We could see a 5 man all star D tackle rotation next year, if Granger comes back alright and if McGee and McFarland lives up to the billing. At the very least, we have 2 stud starters (McCoy and Taylor) with stamina to play most of the game, with decent enough back ups to fill in here and there. The success of the entire D starts with D tackles, IMO - stopping the run game.

BoomerSooner, esq.
1/12/2009, 05:03 PM
Finally some good news.....

TMcGee86
1/12/2009, 05:06 PM
Don't forget about A. Taylor too - he is excellent also. We could see a 5 man all star D tackle rotation next year, if Granger comes back alright and if McGee and McFarland lives up to the billing. At the very least, we have 2 stud starters (McCoy and Taylor) with stamina to play most of the game, with decent enough back ups to fill in here and there. The success of the entire D starts with D tackles, IMO - stopping the run game.

Oh no doubt, Taylor's a stud. Didn't mean to leave him out.

And then mix in English and Beal, and then Washington and anyone else who steps up, and this line will be scary good.

Toronto Sooner
1/12/2009, 05:07 PM
Did you guys notice Auston English in the Florida game. I thought his play was amazing, especially in the first 2 or 3 quarters. I was thrilled to see him back to his normal self. He actually looked like the 2007 Auston English, I kid you not. That was the one big positive I got out of the NCG.

Is this special or what?

1) G. McCoy - tackle
2) A. Taylor - tackle
3) D. Granger - tackle
4) J. Mcfarland - tackle
5) S. McGee - tackle
6) A. English - DE
7) J. Beal - DE
8) F. Alexander - DE
9) R. J. Washington - DE

This is like a dream D line.

TXBOOMER
1/12/2009, 05:14 PM
Grrrrrrreat! Our Defensive line is ging to be as strong as it has in a while next year. Also, LB's got experience and DB's kept improving. Boomer!

Desert Sapper
1/12/2009, 05:22 PM
The safeties will be the sole questionmark on the D going into spring ball. Given the unreleased talent at that position waiting for a shot, it should be fun to see who steps up the most.

Harry Beanbag
1/12/2009, 05:33 PM
If they come back, they will all suffer career ending injuries in the RRS

They can get out healthy now. If they come back, it is their funeral

Classy horn as usual.

The fact that Bradford & Gresham have waited this long to make an announcement is a little bit puzzling.

Because they didn't call a press conference over the weekend?

Toronto Sooner
1/12/2009, 05:56 PM
The safeties will be the sole questionmark on the D going into spring ball. Given the unreleased talent at that position waiting for a shot, it should be fun to see who steps up the most.

Below is something I previously posted on another thread. My gut feel is we will get our 2 solid starting safties our of the 4 guys I mentioned below. I think they will all bring the physical aspects to the table, but it will be a matter of how smart they are, and how quickly they can excel in Venables' defense.

By the way, another thing I just noticed from the Ibiloye video is how much range he covers. It totally impresses me. The reason it impresses me so much is it reminds a lot of LaRon Landry of the Washington Redskins. Very few safeties cover as much ground as LaRon, and as hard hitting as him either. LaRon was the 5th or 6th player taken in the draft, just ahead of Adrian Peterson, and is currently the top defensive player on the Redskins. Let me make this perfectly clear, I haven't a clue if Ibiloye is any good at all (although he looks great on video), and I am certainly not comparing him to LaRon, I'm just saying that the range of coverage he demonstrates on video in the safety position reminds me a lot of LaRon.

"I remember the coaches talking well about Desmond Jackson (safety). Also, I've always liked how Ibiloye looks on video, especially his speed and quickness. His listed size (6-4, 205) is quite amazing, especially for someone that looks fast. On paper, he seems to bring a lot to the table. He might make an ideal fit with Carter at safety, with Ibiloye bringing the speed and Carter bringing the hits. I think it might be good competition between D. Jackson, Ibiloye and Proctor for the 2nd starting safety position. And, our depth chart will be good, with the 2 guys that don't make it as starters."

MojoRisen
1/12/2009, 06:59 PM
Come on Sammy, Gresham & Trent...

We will get a rematch with SAXET and TEBONER!

Our D has the potential to be stiffling next year! 12-0 or 14-3 sounds like a reasonable goal in the RRS!

rainiersooner
1/12/2009, 06:59 PM
And for my 700th post, let me say: GERALD MCCOY IS THE MAN!!! BOOMER!

sendbaht
1/12/2009, 07:10 PM
Great news!!!! Now the rest of "the guys" stay and we have a GREAT year again....

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 07:17 PM
I think Ibiloye is bigger then 205. He can lay the lumber too.

MojoRisen
1/12/2009, 07:28 PM
Mccoy, now that dude is a gamer! He can improve his intelligence & speed, get a ton of all season long love from the media and go as high as anyone!

He showed his dominance - in this big game... He can train on strength speed and explosiveness for another year and show out in the combine. Unfortunately at the next level it is not always how you can play or if you have a nose for the ball & instincts - when it comes to being drafted high.

How fast, how big are your hands, how high can you jump BS ---- I would draft football players anyday of the week- like they get in New England year after year...

Thank you McCoy! Let's make it not even a gamble in next years draft!

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 07:49 PM
I think Ibiloye is bigger then 205. He can lay the lumber too.

Have you seen him up close in a high school game?

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 07:52 PM
Mccoy, now that dude is a gamer! He can improve his intelligence & speed, get a ton of all season long love from the media and go as high as anyone!

He showed his dominance - in this big game... He can train on strength speed and explosiveness for another year and show out in the combine. Unfortunately at the next level it is not always how you can play or if you have a nose for the ball & instincts - when it comes to being drafted high.

How fast, how big are your hands, how high can you jump BS ---- I would draft football players anyday of the week- like they get in New England year after year...

Thank you McCoy! Let's make it not even a gamble in next years draft!

That's one reason I didnt put too much stock into the speed argument. New england has been the faster team, but the pats kept winning rings. Having football smarts and intelligence is more important than anything else, and McCoy is a great football player who knows the game.

oubose
1/12/2009, 07:54 PM
Sweat, thats the best news I've heard all day!!!!!!!

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 08:11 PM
Have you seen him up close in a high school game?

No, I have a cousin who played for Wylie and they played them in the playoffs his senior season.

JLEW1818
1/12/2009, 09:22 PM
very good news, he will be a good leader for J. Mcfarland

G8trGr8t
1/12/2009, 11:04 PM
McCoy played great in the BCS game. Hope he can afford insurance, He will be a real force in college ball next year. Congratulations

MojoRisen
1/12/2009, 11:26 PM
If football is our career and we have something too learn and a year of of advantage is like trying to get to any next level and produce immediately.

God willing we won't get hurt.... Insurance may cost a little but I think it can be managed with the upside of being top 5... guarantee

I just shut up and now will be a huge McCoy supporter

sooner59
1/12/2009, 11:51 PM
I honestly believe that too many juniors make the jump to the NFL too quickly. If you don't fall in the top 7-10 spots, then you are taking a big risk. Even if you do, you run the risk of jumping while not being ready. Some juniors are just ready....they don't have anything else to learn and little to prove. But many jump just for the money. This is understandable, but for some, the extra year could mean the difference between 2-4 years in the league and 8-10 years in the league (which would ultimately lead to more money in the long run). I understand that you run the risk of underperforming or getting hurt, but each case if different I guess.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 11:58 PM
I honestly believe that too many juniors make the jump to the NFL too quickly. If you don't fall in the top 7-10 spots, then you are taking a big risk...

Well, it looks like there are about 30 So./Jr. already signed up for those 7-10 slots - I guess hope springs eternal. ;)

The only Sooner I see making a mistake by going is Williams. If they really do move him to left tackle next year and he plays well, he could really move up. Left tackle is the rock star position on the O-line and is very high profile at a program like OU.

MojoRisen
1/13/2009, 12:15 AM
I guess our coaching is capable of wining MNC's and teaching fudnamentals for us to loose a lot of sophs and Juniors..

What do they have in store, other than a gut check and a f'n BCS National Championship .

sooner59
1/13/2009, 12:27 AM
Well, it looks like there are about 30 So./Jr. already signed up for those 7-10 slots - I guess hope springs eternal. ;)

The only Sooner I see making a mistake by going is Williams. If they really do move him to left tackle next year and he plays well, he could really move up. Left tackle is the rock star position on the O-line and is very high profile at a program like OU.

You got it. I don't have a problem with Gresham or Bradford.....other than that, they should probably stay.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 12:57 AM
They should all stay.

DMAFB_Sooner08
1/13/2009, 06:28 AM
I wonder how fast he is??

It doesnt matter he will never be as fast as SEC backs ;)

Soonerman08
1/13/2009, 08:39 AM

What about Quinton Carter??? He has enough experience from the past year that only one safety should be a question mark.

oupride
2/19/2009, 11:08 AM
For you, all day.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2140
Enjoy

Sam.England
2/19/2009, 11:46 AM
For you, all day.
Enjoy

Awesome little article there! Thanks for sharing:D

swardboy
2/19/2009, 03:18 PM
They should all stay.

Good call, btw.....

TMcGee86
2/19/2009, 04:30 PM
Last week my best friend and I made our way to Norman, Oklahoma to shoot a feature of the UO offensive front five.

Why the hell was he in Norman if he was doing a feature on Oregon's OLine?

47straight
2/19/2009, 06:41 PM
For you, all day.
Enjoy

That's a *great* photo of McCoy. I contacted the photographer, here are the prices for a print:

8 1/2” X 11” $50.00

11 X 17 $175.00

13 X 19 $300.00

soonerfan28
2/20/2009, 02:17 PM
McCoys photo will make a nice background on my PC until August.

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 03:02 PM
Kiper said he would be his number 2 player behind crab