PDA

View Full Version : Pokes title contenders? (LOL)

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 01:43 PM
Did anyone catch the "predictions 2009" by Mark Schlabach, he thinks the pokes will be nc contenders in 2009:

4. The Big 12 will still be the best conference
Texas Tech and Missouri will be rebuilding in 2009, but the Big 12 will still have three national-championship contenders: Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The SEC will be the country's second-best conference, but traditional powers Auburn and Tennessee will have big rebuilding jobs under new coaches. Georgia will take a step back, too, after quarterback Matthew Stafford and tailback Knowshon Moreno enter the NFL draft.

W.......T.......F? x 100

Source:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&page=predictions09/ncf

Widescreen
1/12/2009, 01:53 PM
Well, they did make those awesome orange Big 12 Championship wristbands. So maybe they'll make 2009 National Champions wristbands this year.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/12/2009, 01:54 PM
Not sure about national title contender, but they should be really good. They return almost all their offense. It will depend on if they can find a defense. I'm glad we get them in Norman next year!

MichiganSooner
1/12/2009, 02:00 PM
In the 1/11/09 Tulsa World an article is talking about Tracy Moore of Tulsa Union committing to OSU after having a "good meeting" with Gumby. "Coach Gundy and I had a good meeting," Moore said. "He said they're going to play in bowl games, and he said that their ultimate goal is the national championship."

hobbes2702
1/12/2009, 02:05 PM
They will be a Big12 South contender but not a national title contender. If their D can play well they have a chance

OKLA21FAN
1/12/2009, 02:06 PM
team on the rise............once again :gary:

Hot Rod
1/12/2009, 02:14 PM
In the 1/11/09 Tulsa World an article is talking about Tracy Moore of Tulsa Union committing to OSU after having a "good meeting" with Gumby. "Coach Gundy and I had a good meeting," Moore said. "He said they're going to play in bowl games, and he said that their ultimate goal is the national championship."

Woah, there Mr. [hairGel] .

Don't you think you should try to win a division first? Just sayin':rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2009, 02:38 PM
Don't you think you should try to win a division first?

Thats not one of his goals. :texan:

007sooner
1/12/2009, 02:42 PM
I can't believe Mark Schlabach has anything at all good to say about the big xii, ever. I'm not at all shocked that it's at OU's expense in favor of okie lite, though. That guy has about as much impartiality and originality as a two year old.

NYC Poke
1/12/2009, 02:47 PM
Whoever wins the Big XII South will have a shot at a national title. This will be our best shot at it in a very long time.

ADs_Agent
1/12/2009, 02:48 PM
I'd agree they were a contender if bedlam wasn't in Norman.

007sooner
1/12/2009, 03:00 PM
they can play us just fine in norman if they want, esp when we get cocky. see '01. yeah, the last couple bedlam games in norman have not been tight, but its a rivalry for a reason. should be a very good game, i'm looking forward to it already.

silverwheels
1/12/2009, 03:14 PM
If their defense improves, then they have a shot, especially if they can beat Texas at home. This is probably their best chance to win the South since the Big 12 was formed.

hgarmorer
1/12/2009, 03:14 PM
Did you see #15 "The Big 12 South will finish in a three-way tie
Once again, the Big 12 South will be a jumbled mess at season's end. Texas will beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma will beat Oklahoma State. The Cowboys will beat the Longhorns. Texas will get the nod over the Sooners because the Longhorns will be the highest-rated team in the BCS standings. Under the league's new tiebreaker rules, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State receive a consolation prize: They get to play Missouri's defense again."

So we lose to Texas but the Pokes beat them. I'm all in favor of UT getting beat, which I think both (OU and OSU) can do next year. Then it all comes down to the game in Norman as previously mentioned. I still see TT being dangerous but with Crabtree and Harrell both gone. I say we take that one as well even in Lubbock.

85sooners
1/12/2009, 03:21 PM
:gary:

rainiersooner
1/12/2009, 03:24 PM
Good Lord - that would be the proverbial salt on the wound.

007sooner
1/12/2009, 04:30 PM
:rolleyes: It takes really ingenuity to predict that next season's quirky happenings will happen the exact same way next year. Just mix up the teams and maybe no one will notice!

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 04:49 PM
^Yeah, no kidding. It may take years before we finish with a 3-way tie again, and by then, we'll have a playoff so it won't matter. Instead of betting on a 3 way tie again next year, I'd be more willing to bet we never see it happen again our lifetime.

MichiganSooner
1/12/2009, 07:02 PM
Hey, if there is a 3-way tie next year and we don't get to move on, I'm volunteering to fly the airplane!!

Oldnslo
1/12/2009, 10:06 PM
they can play us just fine in norman if they want, esp when we get cocky. see '01. yeah, the last couple bedlam games in norman have not been tight, but its a rivalry for a reason. should be a very good game, i'm looking forward to it already.

Rivalry? Is it? Really?

No, I'm serious. We win that game 80% of the time. Here, there, it doesn't matter. Every so often, they pull it together or we lay an egg, but shouldn't rivalries involve somewhat equal teams?

As far as my Aggie in-laws are concerned, it may be a rivalry. I get a gloating phone call from my brother-in-law every time they win.

Haven't gotten a call in awhile. Just sayin'.

007sooner
1/13/2009, 12:21 AM
Yes, it is. Rivalries can be based on more than similar performances; try tradition or geography. any state with two schools who compete against each other in most sports is going to have a rivalry between those schools whether or not one of them is consistently better than the other.

Not like I was predicting an OSU win or anything. Just saying I hope it's a good game.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 12:26 AM
At least it says the Big 12 will be the best conference...

The rest is shat on the bottom of a shoe.

badger
1/13/2009, 06:22 AM
I think it would be funny if the new three-way-tie rule that the Big 12 inevitably makes works against Texas once again :D

Note: This assumes an OSU-Texas-Oklahoma three-way-tie like someone previously mentioned.

Of course, that would involve OSU not sucking. They can't play the underdog card for every game. They might be able to against the likes of Texas, but we always want to beat our little sister school.

swardboy
1/13/2009, 06:42 AM
All this talk of a three-way makes me horny.....

MrJimBeam
1/13/2009, 08:54 AM
Whoever wins the Big XII South will have a shot at a national title. This will be our best shot at it in a very long time.

Since '84 or '45?

OU4LIFE
1/13/2009, 09:23 AM
Well, they did make those awesome orange Big 12 Championship wristbands. So maybe they'll make 2009 National Champions wristbands this year.

Maybe they'll make some that say 'finish' this year... :rolleyes:

Widescreen
1/13/2009, 10:05 AM
any state with two schools who compete against each other in most sports is going to have a rivalry between those schools whether or not one of them is consistently better than the other.

I'm pretty sure Texas and Baylor don't have what you could consider a rivalry.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2009, 10:10 AM
I think most people are banking on

1. Bradford being gone and QB being down at OU
2. WR play down at OU
3. OL play being down at OU

while osu returns virtually everybody on the O side and has a good chance.

They will probably receive a high pre season ranking next season, top 10-15 most likely.

I think osu has the least amount of questions of any team in the big 12 going into next season.

NYC Poke
1/13/2009, 12:32 PM
Assuming we find a DC before the start of next season. :rolleyes:

007sooner
1/13/2009, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Texas and Baylor don't have what you could consider a rivalry.

I wouldn't ever make that claim in front of my friends who are Baylor fans. Just because Texas never loses to them doesn't mean Baylor can't claim the in-state rivalry... and as far as my familiarity with their fans go, they do. Look I get why you want to say bedlem isnt a rivalry game, because it might be making too much of osu's ability to play good football consistently, but to say t's a rivalry and it's cool isnt really giving them too much credit.