PDA

View Full Version : Since I was at the game...

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 11:59 AM
I'm just now sitting down to watch the game coverage.

First off...while at the game many of us felt that Urban Meyer had used his guys to slow down our offense. There were more than a few times you would see his players lay down after the play like they had an injury. They would walk off and then be right back in on the next play. A couple of times they would even start acting like God himself had enacted a miracle to be able to bounce back so quick. If Meyer did practice with two offensive teams against their defense in an attempt to prepare them for our offensive juggernaut...they also prepared them to do this as well. Is it against the rules? I'm guessing it's not. Did it have an effect on our play. I believe it did. Is what I'm saying just an excuse. Yeah probably. Is it something that may need to be addressed by Wilson, Josh and Stoops. Absolutely.

This was a game for all the marbles. I hated seeing us lose. Again I'm proud of the way our guys played. They stood up to what was supposedly the best there ever was. They weren't. They pulled out every stop they could to disrupt the flow of our Offense. It worked. In the first half we failed in the Red Zone and we didn't adjust to it in the 2nd half.

The first sign of disruption problems IMO was the 1st drive where Manny caught a ball and the officials go blowing the whistle after Chris Brown is 7 yards down the field on 3rd down. Either Meyer or the Official go for a review as Sam snaps the ball. I have to believe that all of this watch the in stadium replay and make a decision right before the snap is a disruption that is bad for Football. Manny's play stood as called. It was a good catch and basically was an attempt to disrupt the flow of the beginning of the game by Meyer. I can't go as far as saying replay is bad for the game...but when it's used to slow things up for the Defense then maybe they ought to outlaw the no huddle. Either way...fair...I'm not sure it exists in College Football right now. I know texas fans feel it doesn't. :D

Anyway...post your thoughts on this if you want.

Desert Sapper
1/12/2009, 12:39 PM
I think we did plenty to disrupt our own timing. You'd think we would learn this year that when we 'check it to pancakes' at the line, we end up flat. We are much faster on offense when we go to the line and execute immediately. And several times during the game we were already set while the Gators were running all over the field.

Run the play!

Circle City Gator
1/12/2009, 12:42 PM
Meyer had nothing to do with that review. If he had requested it, Florida would have lost a timeout when the play was upheld.

MamaMia
1/12/2009, 12:47 PM
I'm just now sitting down to watch the game coverage.

First off...while at the game many of us felt that Urban Meyer had used his guys to slow down our offense. There were more than a few times you would see his players lay down after the play like they had an injury. They would walk off and then be right back in on the next play. A couple of times they would even start acting like God himself had enacted a miracle to be able to bounce back so quick. If Meyer did practice with two offensive teams against their defense in an attempt to prepare them for our offensive juggernaut...they also prepared them to do this as well. Is it against the rules? I'm guessing it's not. Did it have an effect on our play. I believe it did. Is what I'm saying just an excuse. Yeah probably. Is it something that may need to be addressed by Wilson, Josh and Stoops. Absolutely.

This was a game for all the marbles. I hated seeing us lose. Again I'm proud of the way our guys played. They stood up to what was supposedly the best there ever was. They weren't. They pulled out every stop they could to disrupt the flow of our Offense. It worked. In the first half we failed in the Red Zone and we didn't adjust to it in the 2nd half.

The first sign of disruption problems IMO was the 1st drive where Manny caught a ball and the officials go blowing the whistle after Chris Brown is 7 yards down the field on 3rd down. Either Meyer or the Official go for a review as Sam snaps the ball. I have to believe that all of this watch the in stadium replay and make a decision right before the snap is a disruption that is bad for Football. Manny's play stood as called. It was a good catch and basically was an attempt to disrupt the flow of the beginning of the game by Meyer. I can't go as far as saying replay is bad for the game...but when it's used to slow things up for the Defense then maybe they ought to outlaw the no huddle. Either way...fair...I'm not sure it exists in College Football right now. I know texas fans feel it doesn't. :D

Anyway...post your thoughts on this if you want.Over and over again, the refs failed to move out of the way until the gators D was set too. Notre Dame pulled that fake injury thing too to break our winning steak. Its not against the rules because how do you make a rule against something you cant prove. It is at the very least...bad sportsmanship.

No sour grapes...just keen observation. :pop:

1890MilesToNorman
1/12/2009, 12:54 PM
I swear there were twice as many commercials as offensive plays in this game? For those who were there, did it seem like there was more time waiting through the TV timeouts then actually playing the game?

I thought this slowed us down as well.

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 12:59 PM
Meyer had nothing to do with that review. If he had requested it, Florida would have lost a timeout when the play was upheld.

Well...the announcer didn't help that be very believable. Right after that he said he'd s/w Meyer and that he said he was going to question anything close.

I admire you for chiming in...but I saw lots of BS you couldn't see on TV.

What I'm doing now is listening and watching the game.

I'll post a further opinion once I'm through it all.

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 01:01 PM
Mama and 1890. Your absolutely right.

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 01:08 PM
1:25 left in the 2nd.

Manny makes a catch. Late hit out of bounds IMO by Gator #29.

Cheap shot at the very least.

JLEW1818
1/12/2009, 01:15 PM
I tend to watch the games on mute

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 01:16 PM
I keep trying to put that bobble by Manny out of my head with 10 secs left.

Great break by Florida.

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 01:17 PM
2nd half just started.

I love DVR. :D

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 01:20 PM
Announcer to Meyer: What did you like in the 1st half?

Meyer: I liked our defensive stand other than that I didn't like BLEEP!"

LMAO!

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 01:24 PM
Defense makes a good stop on Florida. Travis levels Tebow. Very nice.

Got to go to work.

I'll get back to it later.

JLEW1818
1/12/2009, 01:26 PM
2nd half just started.

I love DVR. :D

tell me if we win.....:D

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 02:08 PM
tell me if we win.....:D

I might have some bad news.

Prepare yourself...OK? :D

OffroadOUFan
1/12/2009, 03:25 PM
I swear there were twice as many commercials as offensive plays in this game? For those who were there, did it seem like there was more time waiting through the TV timeouts then actually playing the game?

I thought this slowed us down as well.

I agree with this assessment. I hated watching either commercials or the umpteenth mention of the games sponsors BEFORE being able to watch the replay of the previous play (which would finally play about 5 seconds before the next snap). It was absolutely frustrating from a fan-in-the-stands perspective.

Dan Thompson
1/12/2009, 03:35 PM
I don't like it when they show the same play for the fifth or sixth time and have to hurry to get back to live play.

bri
1/12/2009, 03:42 PM
East Carolina pulled the same stunt against Tulsa in the C-USA title game. Any time the 'Cane offense started clicking and moving the ball, the phantom injuries would start. They weren't even being sneaky about it, either; the dude would lay there for a few seconds and then once play was stopped, he'd hop up and miraculously jog off the field under his own power. Two plays later, he'd be right back in there, fine and dandy. It reached a point where every time a ECU player got "hurt", I'd wave and yell "See you in two plays, dude. Enjoy the Gatorade."

As more teams employ the no-huddle, you're gonna see some rules changes to stop this bullsh*t, hopefully.

Vaevictis
1/12/2009, 03:55 PM
Its not against the rules because how do you make a rule against something you cant prove. It is at the very least...bad sportsmanship.

My attitude is if the game is going to get disrupted by injuries, there should be injuries. And it just so happens that this is something that our team can control.

If they're going to play dirty like that, our guys should too.

bri
1/12/2009, 03:59 PM
So you're sayin' we should sweep the leg, Sensei? :D

Vaevictis
1/12/2009, 04:00 PM
As more teams employ the no-huddle, you're gonna see some rules changes to stop this bullsh*t, hopefully.

IMO, if a player delays the game with an "injury", they should have to sit the rest of the quarter out.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2009, 04:06 PM
how about "accidentally" kicking the ball a few yards when your D is gassed. The ref doesn't call delay on that?

bri
1/12/2009, 04:10 PM
IMO, if a player delays the game with an "injury", they should have to sit the rest of the quarter out.

Or at the very least, the rest of the current drive.

TUSooner
1/12/2009, 04:15 PM
I say unless a player's got a part broken off or bent at an unnatural angle, or he's bleeding significantly, the game should proceed while he lays on the field. Hey, it happens in girls's soccer all the time!

Lott's Bandana
1/12/2009, 07:54 PM
I've been quietly recovering while my tan fades.

Since ST started a thread I had considered, I'll contribute to his instead:

To follow up on the last part of ST's OP...

***The first quarter was the most poorly managed football game I have EVER seen. The referee CLEARLY was overwhelmed and clueless.
I'm not talking about bad calls. I'm talking about consistent clock sputters, wrong calls on the stadium mike after penalties, leaving the stadium mike on during play, phantom play reviews, phantom timeouts.
I am not saying it favored either team, but it didn't help either team.
When a hi-powered spread offense gets six weeks off, they are rusty. The first quarter is a opportunity for this kind of offense to get going and establish some timing. Not in this game. The first quarter simply was an example of how poor officiating can hamstring a quality matchup.

***Commercials (and lots of them) between plays or anytime during the game is ****ing INSULTING to fans that paid a lot of money to be there. Show them at halftime and between quarters.

***The halftime show was amateur-hour. Gee, how cliche is listening to a recording of Gloria in Miami? That's as bad as Thunderstruck in the Ford Center. At least it didn't take up 45 minutes.

***My first comment after the game was over:

"This is the first time in 42 years of watching OU football that I remember losing an important game (we should have won) in the first half."
The gloom in my Crimson end zone was palpable the entire second half. Hope was still there, but it was muted, rather like the second half in Dallas.

Vaevictis
1/12/2009, 08:28 PM
***The halftime show was amateur-hour. Gee, how cliche is listening to a recording of Gloria in Miami? That's as bad as Thunderstruck in the Ford Center. At least it didn't take up 45 minutes.

And it's still 100 times better than the halftime show at TGOWWDNS.

Vaevictis
1/12/2009, 08:30 PM
So you're sayin' we should sweep the leg, Sensei? :D

Sweep the leg? Please, that's a ***** move.

Execute a flying arm bar. Break at the elbow, then use the sharp edge of the compound fracture to tear it off.

c8_FevrLdaw

;)

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 12:42 AM
So you're sayin' we should sweep the leg, Sensei?

Me...not exactly...for me it's like...

Well, you know those plays where you see an opposing player's helmet go rolling down the field? There oughtta be a head in it if they've been faking injuries to slow the game.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 02:25 AM
I agree with what has been said here, but there are other things that shot us in the foot offensively and defensively as well.

1. The first pass play down field to Manny should have been a 15 yard Pass Interference call. The DB made great hit, but just a tad bit early.

2. The holding call on the first drive by Duke Robinson. Bradford had already let the pass go. There was no need to hold at all. Yes, Sam would have gotten hit but we would have enjoyed a 1st and goal at around the five intead of a 2nd and 20 and settling for a punt 2 plays later.

3. Kevin Wilson's play calling. Sure some plays we seen a lot. Like the off tackle inside the five. However, so has Florida. And has much as we ran that play during the season inside the 10, they knew that it would be coming. So why not pick a play action pass to Gresham? Or even a boot leg.

4. Was the INT right before half time. A friend and I were yelling at the TV that Florida was bringing heat off the corners and ends. What happens? they bring heat off the corners and ends. The LBs dropped into coverage. If I seen Florida telegraphing that from the TV, why couldn't Wilson or Bradford? We should have taken a timeout and got a better play called. A screen or draw woudl have scored on that play instead of a quick slant to Iggy (No offense Iggy).

5. The blocked FG. Stevens was 8-11 on the season. He has not taken a shot at a FG over 40 yards. All of the sudden we are going to trust him in the NCG with a FG attempt over 40 yards? WTF? We had less than 5 to go for the first down. Why not go for it? At that point in time, the Gator defense was still really winded and we were able to move the ball on them.

6. Fourth Quarter defense. Why did we fail to substitute on defense? Why did we fail to spy Tebow? We spied him almost all game long before the 4th, so why did we stop?

7. Last one. They had absolutely no answer for our run game or for Gresham. Why did we abandon either of them late into the game?

Dont get me wrong. I am proud of the way the Sooners played and I thought the coaches had a great game plan overall. However, there were things that occured during the game that I was questioning.

Do I think I would have done a better job? No. But the coaches get paid millions or well enough to do a better job when it matters most. And this coaching staff we have at OU is among the best in the nation. It saddens me that we fail on the big stage more than naught.

Anyway...BOOMER SOONER AND #8 in 2009!

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 02:39 AM
2,3, &4 are my main bitches...

But you know...We'll take it next year and screw phlorida and the SEC. They know they were lucky to get out alive.

olevetonahill
1/13/2009, 05:49 AM
So ST did we win ?
Any one Have a Vid Of the dude Kicking the Ball ? I missed it during the Game .

hellogoodbye
1/13/2009, 09:15 AM
I was also contemplating this during the game. If the strategy of the no-huddle hurry up offense is subject to be influenced by gimicky tactics of the other team, does it make it a gimicky strategy? And if the ref team officiating the game thinks its gimicky strategy, and prevent it's effectiveness, is it worth employing?

oupride
1/13/2009, 11:11 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for the post. Do you think the officials seemed unprepared for the no-huddle as well?

Desert Sapper
1/13/2009, 12:24 PM
We would have been fine with the no-huddle if we didn't change the play call every single freaking time we came to the line. Might as well huddle up.