PDA

View Full Version : If you think OU got rid of Jarboe too quickly...

Rhino
1/12/2009, 12:40 AM
...I give you this:

In the cafeteria at Troy today, Jarboe decided to pick a girl up by her throat and choke slam her on a table. He then preceeded to try and fight the cop that tried to arrest him, got his *** beat, and then was finally arrested. (http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1437916)Confirmed by GoTroyTrojans.com (http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12683) too.

GottaHavePride
1/12/2009, 12:47 AM
WTF?

OU-HSV
1/12/2009, 12:49 AM
Good thing we kicked him off. I think that dude is just a ticking time bomb.

delhalew
1/12/2009, 01:04 AM
Classy guy.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 01:18 AM
Asshat.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 01:18 AM
Not you, Rhino.

Crucifax Autumn
1/12/2009, 01:25 AM
That's pretty screwed up.

rainiersooner
1/12/2009, 01:30 AM
Wow! Can't wait to hear him rap about this one!

Crucifax Autumn
1/12/2009, 01:32 AM
Wow! Can't wait to hear him rap about this one!

wow...

lol

CrimsonJim
1/12/2009, 01:51 AM
Impressive..........

yermom
1/12/2009, 02:03 AM
count me as one that was apprehensive we gave him the chance before the video...

badger
1/12/2009, 06:06 AM
Think of all that teams do to suppress negative news about the team to protect their image and keep the team together. If what we hear about Jarboe is bad, imagine what we don't hear about him.

RacerX
1/12/2009, 07:25 AM
I'd like to hear his high school coach chime in on this one.

badger
1/12/2009, 08:00 AM
I'd like to hear his high school coach chime in on this one.
What I imagine he would say:

Jarboe's Coach: Well, let's see here... You guys signed him, then two weeks later, he brought a pistol to school, (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-08-13-jarboe-troy_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip) got expelled, got arrested but he still graduated somehow through online courses. What else you want me to say?

Boomer.....
1/12/2009, 08:41 AM
I bet he still thinks he can play anywhere.

badger
1/12/2009, 08:52 AM
I bet he still thinks he can play anywhere.

Well, anywhere except Troy and Oklahoma :D

Tulsa_Fireman
1/12/2009, 08:53 AM
Pacman can do it, so can I!

SoonersEnFuego
1/12/2009, 09:06 AM
At least he didn't powerbomb her and then give her an elbow drop.

ratedrsuperstar
1/12/2009, 09:08 AM
Florida State will give him a chance and he will fit right in.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/12/2009, 09:15 AM
http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12683

XingTheRubicon
1/12/2009, 09:16 AM
You guys are rediculous. Who here hasn't had a cafeteria throat-slam.

CincySooner
1/12/2009, 09:16 AM
Considering I couldn't find the story in the Troy newspaper or on the local TV news feed, I'd say this is largely unsubstantiated.

SouthFortySooner
1/12/2009, 09:42 AM
"you can't take the thug outa some guys" - heh.

NormanPride
1/12/2009, 10:24 AM
You guys are rediculous. Who here hasn't had a cafeteria throat-slam.

It's how I met badger.

She did a leg drop after that...

OUTrumpet
1/12/2009, 10:32 AM
It's how I met badger.

She did a leg drop after that...

It's not as romantic as SoonerDood's Hulking up move to meet Mrs SoonerDood.

Dan Thompson
1/12/2009, 10:41 AM
USC

Dan Thompson
1/12/2009, 10:42 AM
USC is recuriting him as I type.

Partial Qualifier
1/12/2009, 10:47 AM
What a Jerkwad.

Partial Qualifier
1/12/2009, 10:48 AM
Not you, Jed.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 11:10 AM
I thought all along that OU got rid of him too slowly.

Gun + school = gas + flame

RacerX
1/12/2009, 11:18 AM
= dumb + ***

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/12/2009, 11:42 AM
Geeeeez...what a punk.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/12/2009, 11:43 AM
Not you, PQ.

Desert Sapper
1/12/2009, 12:01 PM
What a shame. I was hoping this kid would take the gift he was given at Troy and move on with his life. Apparently some folks don't and won't ever...get it.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 12:05 PM
This kid has Lawrence Phillips written all over him. He needs some kind of therapy - maybe shock therapy.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2009, 12:17 PM
Just another bad apple.

OUmillenium
1/12/2009, 12:34 PM
Great move by us "getting rid of him." Not such a great move in us pursuing him as long as we did.

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 01:25 PM
Another reason we should love Bob Stoops!

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 01:27 PM
What a shame. I was hoping this kid would take the gift he was given at Troy and move on with his life. Apparently some folks don't and won't ever...get it.

You never will be able to understand those ganster types. They are a totally different breed. They truley don't care..

RacerX
1/12/2009, 01:38 PM
Great move by us "getting rid of him." Not such a great move in us pursuing him as long as we did.

bingo

JLEW1818
1/12/2009, 01:43 PM
How can some people be so worthless? With a huge future

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2009, 03:05 PM

I would bet everything that I own that he blames everyone but himself for getting booted.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 03:14 PM

Some people are just broken - whether by nature or nurture. If someone is born with a deformed leg or it is broken by injury, we accept that they are physically limited. If a something similar thing happens to someone's brain, we can't see the problem, so we don't understand it. Not much a coach can do except try to filter these guys out up front, or get rid of them later.

85sooners
1/12/2009, 03:14 PM
:eek:

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2009, 03:21 PM
Jerry Jones just signed him to a multi-year deal.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/12/2009, 03:29 PM
Too bad we can't add "Cafeteria Throat-Slam" to the list of advice in SicEm's "So I met a girl..." thread.

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 03:35 PM
I thought you had to be married 20+ years before you were allowed to do the cafeteria throat slam. Who does Jarboe think he is anyway????

bri
1/12/2009, 03:56 PM
At least he didn't powerbomb her and then give her an elbow drop.

Well, the table was supposed to give way on the chokeslam. Nothing worse than a botched table spot.

VZyZY20UO3k

SoonersEnFuego
1/12/2009, 04:36 PM
Nice, bri. :D :D :D

"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke-slam a bitch?!?!"

Bosley
1/12/2009, 05:25 PM
Another reason we should love Bob Stoops!

Bob Stoops could get the NC game every year and lose by 30 points every time and I'd still love me some Stoops.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 06:05 PM
Wait... ...he already does!

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 06:06 PM
I am so just kidding. Loves me some Stoopsie.

:les: IT WAS A SOFTBALL, PPL!

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 06:39 PM
Stoopsie poopsie!!

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 06:40 PM
Boomer Stoopsie!!

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 06:41 PM
Wonder where Billy be at???

bluedogok
1/12/2009, 10:36 PM
Considering I couldn't find the story in the Troy newspaper or on the local TV news feed, I'd say this is largely unsubstantiated.
It has hit the papers now.....

Dothan Eagle - Troy freshman wide receiver arrested by campus police (http://www.dothaneagle.com/dea/sports/college/troy/article/troy_freshman_wide_receiver_arrested_by_campus_pol ice/54344/)

By Drew Champlin

Published: January 12, 2009

Troy freshman wide receiver Josh Jarboe was arrested Sunday by Troy University police and charged with misdemeanor harassment.

According to an arrest report obtained by the Dothan Eagle, Jarboe, 19, of Atlanta, was arrested at Stewart Hall, a dining facility. No description of the harassment was on the arrest report.

The report did say that Jarboe was sober, did not resist arrest, was not armed and that there were no injuries. The arresting officer is listed as Harold Purifoy. On the report, it says Jarboe was arrested “on view,” meaning the officer was there and the report showed no warrant was issued at the time of arrest.

No one at Troy University commented on the issue Monday. Coaches are at the National Football Coaches Convention in Nashville, Tenn. Attempts to reach Purifoy Monday were unsuccessful.

Jarboe enrolled at Troy in early August after being dismissed from Oklahoma. The school petitioned the NCAA to get him eligible for this year, but the NCAA turned that down since Jarboe had already been granted admission to OU for the fall semester. He used the year as his redshirt and spent most of the season on the scout team.

According to combined reports, Jarboe was dismissed from Oklahoma on Aug. 1 when a 74-second profanity-laced freestyle rap video of him surfaced on the internet. In March of last year, he was arrested when an assistant principal at Cedar Grove (Ga.) High School told police he saw Jarboe get a gun from his car.

Since Jarboe was a first-time offender, judges reduced the charge to a misdemeanor and sentenced him to two years of probation and 80 hours of community service.

The 6-foot-3 Jarboe is expected to compete for a starting receiver spot when the Trojans, who went 8-5 last year, open spring practice.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 10:42 PM
Wait a minute... ...are you suggesting that Rhino is a credible source, even when he hasn't posted a mainstream media link? Man, if only I had known that for the past 9 years or so...

sooneron
1/13/2009, 09:19 AM
What a FPOMF!!!

sooneron
1/13/2009, 09:19 AM
Not you, Jed!

birddog
8/14/2010, 12:35 AM
jarboe is officially kicked off the usc lite.

what an arse hat.

yermom
8/14/2010, 12:41 AM
i guess he's always got that rap thing to fall back on

Piware
8/14/2010, 12:44 AM
Hope so since the day job thing is clearly not his cup of tea. :pop:

Leroy Lizard
8/14/2010, 01:25 AM
Wow. He has gone from the University of Oklahoma to Troy State to Northeast Mississippi Community College.

Movin' on up!
To the east side (Northeast, that is.)

soonerfromgeorgia
8/14/2010, 06:19 AM
He'll now play at North Alabama for Bobby Bowdens boy Terry, he has been signing up "troubled" players and giving them 2nd and 3rd chances. He actually just picked up the WR from FSU that failed all the drug test 2 weeks ago.

TXBOOMER
8/14/2010, 09:29 AM
All I can say is he better be glad Roger Huerta wasn't around.

badger
8/14/2010, 09:44 AM
I liked his hair.

The rest of him, glad it's gone.

SouthFortySooner
8/14/2010, 09:58 AM
bad parenting.

SteelClip49
8/14/2010, 10:44 AM
It has hit the papers now.....

This isn't it.

OU-HSV
8/14/2010, 10:50 AM
What did he do this time?

w0lfe
8/14/2010, 11:47 AM
Wow what a lunatic

Leroy Lizard
8/14/2010, 12:48 PM
He'll now play at North Alabama for Bobby Bowdens boy Terry, he has been signing up "troubled" players and giving them 2nd and 3rd chances. He actually just picked up the WR from FSU that failed all the drug test 2 weeks ago.

No, not even Terry Bowden wants him (evidently).

budbarrybob
8/14/2010, 12:54 PM
Good thing we kicked him off. I think that dude WAS just a ticking time bomb.

Fixed. ;)

soonerloyal
8/14/2010, 02:03 PM
I thought all along that OU got rid of him too slowly.

Gun + school = gas + flame

I must plead guilty on the opposite. :(

Dear Coach Stoops,

It is with a contrite and embarrassed heart that I come to you asking forgiveness.

I second-guessed your decision to release Josh Jarboe from the team, thinking from a mother's POV that the young man needed what you and your staff could impart to him. Unfortunately for him, he refused to heed what I should have known you were trying to get across to him all along.

I humbly ask that you accept my apology, and that you will deem me worthy to keep my OU stickers on my car, even though I failed you. I promise you on all my signed memorabilia, of which each piece I hold dear, that I shall try never to question your judgement of players again.

Crimson-facedly yours,

L. L. H.
:)

swardboy
8/14/2010, 02:26 PM
TROY -- Troy wide receiver Josh Jarboe has been dismissed for violating team rules.

Coach Larry Blakeney said the onetime Oklahoma signee will transfer to Northeast Mississippi Community College, where he can play this season.
Jarboe has twice been cited by university police. The sophomore was cited in January 2009 for misdemeanor harassment and earlier this year for disorderly conduct.
Jarboe came to Troy in 2008 after he was kicked off the Oklahoma team for making a profane Internet video that shows him rapping about guns and killing people.
Blakeney says a couple of incidents occurred during preseason camp that led to his decision.
Jarboe caught 15 passes for 248 yards and a touchdown last season.
-- AP

OU-HSV
8/14/2010, 04:57 PM
Fixed. ;)

:D

Leroy Lizard
8/14/2010, 07:16 PM
In my view (as unpopular as it will be), we need to sign recruits that have demonstrated that they have earned the privilege of playing for the Sooners by their actions. Instead, many in here look at the OU football team like a halfway house, HOPING that the star player work outs.

And sometimes they do. But at what cost? What happens to the academic environment for all students when we bring in people like Jarboe? What happens to the school's reputation?

I guess the question is: How badly do we really want to win?

For me, not that badly.

stoopified
8/14/2010, 08:11 PM
I bet he still thinks he can play anywhere.Tom Osborne just loves domestic abusers,maybe he tells Bo to give the kid a call.

The Ghost of Mex
8/14/2010, 08:20 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/lNVxedatlu0/0.jpg

tulsaoilerfan
8/14/2010, 08:38 PM
Its amazing how some kids are just natural born **** ups

soonerborn30
8/15/2010, 12:08 AM
In my view (as unpopular as it will be), we need to sign recruits that have demonstrated that they have earned the privilege of playing for the Sooners by their actions. Instead, many in here look at the OU football team like a halfway house, HOPING that the star player work outs.

And sometimes they do. But at what cost? What happens to the academic environment for all students when we bring in people like Jarboe? What happens to the school's reputation?

I guess the question is: How badly do we really want to win?

For me, not that badly.

I get what you're saying overall, and I actually agree, but specifically, these kids aren't really doing anything to the academic environment for the other students. You think Jarboe and those of his ilk actually go to class?

SCOUT
8/15/2010, 12:28 AM
I get what you're saying overall, and I actually agree, but specifically, these kids aren't really doing anything to the academic environment for the other students. You think Jarboe and those of his ilk actually go to class?

I disagree. The impact is to the third party viewer who now sees the involved school as troubled based on the actions of one jackwagon.

Por ejemplo, the University of Miami is a good academic institution. In fact, it was ranked in the top 50 by the US News and World Report. However, they are known as thug U cause of a few...well, thugs.

Leroy Lizard
8/15/2010, 01:17 AM

Yeah, they do. Most of your football programs require attendance and take steps to ensure that their athletes go to class. So players like Jarboe would actually go to class at OU (not sure about Troy State).

soonerborn30
8/15/2010, 09:05 AM
I'm calling BS on that. I had a history class with Kelly Gregg. He showed up one time. This was when we were terrible. I NEVER saw the players on campus. The bars? Yeah. The classroom? Not so much. I realize it's a different era now, but I'm going off of what I saw when I was there. And even if dumdums like Jarboe actually went to class, there are 100 other idiots just like him that don't play football that litter the halls as well. If anything it provides a good life lesson to the kids that are there to get their education and do a good job.

Scout: I don't really think the people that truly care about academics are the same people that care about the football teams.

Since it's true that a good football program can boost your enrollment, I guess one could come to the conclusion that a bad team, or one with a bad reputation, could hurt enrollment. My argument was for those that are there, and those that are just leaving.

When I was in the recruitment/hiring process where I work, I'd look at the school they went to, their GPA, their degree and how it was relevant to the job. Obviously, I'd think about in the back of my head "Aggie, huh? Nope, not hiring you." But what I actually ended up doing is assessing to the best of my ability if this person was right for the job. The school itself, unless extremely impressive, was bascially arbitrary...let alone the football team.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/15/2010, 03:45 PM
I'm calling BS on that. I had a history class with Kelly Gregg. He showed up one time.

I'm calling BS on your BS. My senior year I had one 200 level history general requirement left to complete my degree (along with the 300 and 400 level classes I was completing for my majors) and I attended it twice... the first day and the final. Result: A-. It was all about the people I knew from the class, borrowing their notes, completing the required reading, turning in the papers on time, and taking the final.

The point being that it is not only athletes who don't attend class regularly, and it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad students either.

And you are right. It was a completely different era with that sloppy moron in charge. Not only were athletes' attendance in class not checked, it wasn't checked for workouts or anything else either. (A scholarship baseball player during that time related that to me... told me they were hitting the weights more than a lot of the football players during that time.)

Now I do believe Mr. Stoops is rather insistent on his players attending class. That's why players even as talented as AD have gotten to ride some pine due to attendance issues.

soonerborn30
8/15/2010, 04:36 PM
I'm calling BS on your BS. My senior year I had one 200 level history general requirement left to complete my degree (along with the 300 and 400 level classes I was completing for my majors) and I attended it twice... the first day and the final. Result: A-. It was all about the people I knew from the class, borrowing their notes, completing the required reading, turning in the papers on time, and taking the final.

The point being that it is not only athletes who don't attend class regularly, and it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad students either.

And you are right. It was a completely different era with that sloppy moron in charge. Not only were athletes' attendance in class not checked, it wasn't checked for workouts or anything else either. (A scholarship baseball player during that time related that to me... told me they were hitting the weights more than a lot of the football players during that time.)

Now I do believe Mr. Stoops is rather insistent on his players attending class. That's why players even as talented as AD have gotten to ride some pine due to attendance issues.

I didn't say he didn't pass. I said he never showed. Which means he had exactly zero impact on me as a student. That was the whole point. Athletes have no impact on the student body academically.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/15/2010, 11:41 PM
I didn't say he didn't pass. I said he never showed. Which means he had exactly zero impact on me as a student. That was the whole point. Athletes have no impact on the student body academically.

And that's why I'm saying your argument is intrinsically wrong. Students, whether athletes or not, do not necessarily have academic impact on other students or the student body as a whole.

In fact, the very act of being a student, unless you are part of a competitive acadmic venture such as an engineering or robotics team, is one of self-improvement with very little impact on other students except to provide competition... i.e. "the curve".

In that sense, would you also say Sam Bradford had no impact on the student body academically? Really, as long as Gregg was helping to set the curve, whether you saw him or not, didn't he have some impact?

Why don't you ask some FSU folks while they are in town whether or not Myron Rolle had any academic impact on the FSU student body?

soonerborn30
8/15/2010, 11:44 PM
I don't think I was ever graded on a curve, FWIW.