PDA

View Full Version : National title games and playoffs

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2009, 11:45 PM
I know a lot of you, including me, are bummed about losing to Florida in the national title game. I've gotten over it, but I am sure some of you are still smarting.

It sucks having your team lose its final game. No matter how well they did during the year, a last-game loss wipes out all that was accomplished. I remember back to our basketball loss to Kansas in the title game. I have no fond memories of that year. Frankly, if OU had never even made it into the playoffs it might have felt better from a pure emotional standpoint. All I can remember from that year is the loss.

OU has now lost its last game of the year too many times in the last five years, I think we can all agree. And part of our bitterness is just based on ending one season after another with a loss.

If such is the case, be prepared for this to become even worse with a playoff system. In a playoff, only one team ends the year feeling good. The rest feel like we do right now. And frankly I am not looking forward to that.

This is why I don't follow OU basketball. At all. What's the point? If I had followed the team every year since the playoffs were instituted, I still would not be able to look back fondly on a single season. If you lose in the playoffs, it doesn't make any difference how far you advanced. Okay, so you get a silly $5 banner to hang from your ceiling. Big whoop.

This losing in the last game of the season really sucks. And sure, maybe OU would win the national title every fifth year. That means four out of every five years I would feel like crap about the season. Kinda' like now.

I like the bowl system. If you get into the Capital One Bowl Game and win, you feel great. Who do you think is happier right now? Horn fans or Sooner fans? Sure, we can logically show them that OU had the better season since it got to play for the national title. But a loss in the final game wipes out the good feelings.

1890MilesToNorman
1/11/2009, 11:58 PM
Never feed your Lizard Cheetoh"s!

It's entertainment for crying out loud. Very few teams in any sport win their last game of the year.

85sooners
1/12/2009, 12:01 AM
:gary: