PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Starting lineup...

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2009, 07:33 PM
Of course barring no early exits....

Offense:
* = Returning Starter
LT: Trent Williams *
LG: Stephen Good
C: Ben Habern
RG: Jarvis Jones
RT: Donald Stephenson
TE: Jermaine Gresham *
WR: Jameel Owens
WR: Dejuan Miller
SL: Ryan Broyles *
FB: Matt Clapp *
RB: DeMarco Murray *
QB: Sam Bradford *

Defense:
* = Returning Starter
DE: Frank Alexander or Auston English *
NT: Adrian Taylor *
DT: Gerald McCoy *
DE: Jeremy Beal *
WLB: Travis Lewis *
MLB: Austin Box (maybe Reynolds) *
SLB: Keenan Clayton *
BCB: Brian Jackson *
SS: Quintin Carter
FS: Sam Proctor
FCB: Dominique Franks *

Special Teams:
* = Returning Starter
P: (No other punter listed)
K: Tress Way
KR: Ryan Broyles
KR: Mosis Madu *
PR: Ryan Broyles *
H: Carter Whitson *
LS: Derek Shaw *

JLEW1818
1/11/2009, 07:35 PM
Reynolds was only a junior this year, but i think his knees might have had it.

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2009, 07:38 PM
Reynolds was only a junior this year, but i think his knees might have had it.

For some reason I was thinking he was a senior.

He may not make it to the next level...but his knees should be fine for at least one more year.

However, I probably would put Box or Balogun ahead of him in the depth chart.

JLEW1818
1/11/2009, 07:40 PM
yah, Balogun did a decent job, but I see Box being the Future for Oklahoma D

pappy
1/11/2009, 07:42 PM
on the punter spot I see tress way punting and maybe the bryce easley kid from norman north that we're getting will be the kicker or hopefully stevens improves alot over the summer. also murray will be a kick returner

soonerfan28
1/11/2009, 07:42 PM
I think Balogun and Box may be the biggest competition on D next year, but Ibiloye @ 1 of the safeties will be a hell of a battle also.

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2009, 07:46 PM
on the punter spot I see tress way punting and maybe the bryce easley kid from norman north that we're getting will be the kicker or hopefully stevens improves alot over the summer. also murray will be a kick returner

Not next year. Not after 2 straight years of season ending knee injuries.

pappy
1/11/2009, 07:49 PM

I don't know man, he's so dangerous as a kick returner...he could get hurt on any play whether it be on a return, a catch, a hand off whatever so I think as dangerous as he is with the ball in his hands its worth the risk.

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2009, 07:52 PM
I don't know man, he's so dangerous as a kick returner...he could get hurt on any play whether it be on a return, a catch, a hand off whatever so I think as dangerous as he is with the ball in his hands its worth the risk.

He may have been dangerous...but with two terrible injuries to his knees, he will make it back and be great...but he will also be a step slower. He won't be able to cut like he used to. Let's not forget having surgery on a quad will take some of his strength as well.

I hope he does, he is fun to watch. But reality has to set in sometimes with some of our fans.

soonerfan28
1/11/2009, 07:55 PM

Offense:
* = Returning Starter

Defense:
* = Returning Starter

Special Teams:
* = Returning Starter
Dont forget we get Brian Simmons back. I think Jones moves to tackle.

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2009, 08:00 PM
Dont forget we get Brian Simmons back. I think Jones moves to tackle.

I know we have Brian Simmons coming back.

Stephenson and Williams will be the tackles. Good will be a guard along with Jarvis Jones. Habern and Hannan will battle for the starting Center Spot.

I think Simmons is a back up next year just like this season.

pappy
1/11/2009, 08:04 PM
simmons actually started a couple games this year at left guard...I only remember it b/c I was wondering why duke didn't.

StoopTroup
1/11/2009, 08:21 PM
All these folks who think Sam would leave do to losing a few guys on Offense really should take a few minutes to look at this thread IMO.

I can see why he might feel he should stay in School. It's easy to say you might go back and finish Law School after the NFL...but how many really do follow through? I think some folks don't understand the guy or his Dad and for that matter....Bob Stoops and his Coaching Staff. I'd like to think things are pretty solid and that anyone leaving won't have that big an impact on fielding a good team next year. Sure Sam is a great Player..but that doesn't mean there aren't more waiting in the wings.

I wish any of the guys luck that want to leave for personal reasons...but the guys that can't make that choice are the ones that really warm my Sooner Heart. Thanks guys for a Great Season and all of your hard work.

ST

Toronto Sooner
1/11/2009, 08:40 PM
How about Cory Brandon?. He has a bit of experience, backing up Loadholt the last couple of years. With Trent switching to LT (if he doesn't go pro), perhaps Brandon can compete for the RT position. I like his listed size, at 6-7, 308 lbs.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing if Vinson (the JC transfer) has any game. He's from the same place as Balogun, and has some beef - 6-6, 348 lbs.

I remember the coaches talking well about Desmond Jackson (safety). Also, I've always liked how Ibiloye looks on video, especially his speed and quickness. His listed size (6-4, 205) is quite amazing, especially for someone that looks fast. On paper, he seems to bring a lot to the table. He might make an ideal fit with Carter at safety, with Ibiloye bringing the speed and Carter bringing the hits. I think it might be good competition between D. Jackson, Ibiloye and Proctor for the 2nd starting safety position. And, our depth chart will be good, with the 2 guys that don't make it as starters.

BASSooner
1/11/2009, 11:10 PM
simply put, if we can reload on the OL....

...we will be even better next year.

Assuming Sam, JG, and GK stay (I think all but JG will)

BigGobbler
1/11/2009, 11:40 PM
simply put, if we can reload on the OL....

...we will be even better next year.

Assuming Sam, JG, and GK stay (I think all but JG will)

Completely agree with that statement... OL will be sick next year. Sooner's will be loaded with talent up front. Can't wait to see how the D takes ownership of the team next year. Damn, still 8 months left?

Toronto Sooner
1/12/2009, 05:52 AM
Alex Williams - does anyone know anything about this guy? Any word on his development or what the coaches think of him? I never hear anything about him, yet his name was on the depth chart all this past season, as the primary back up to Brandon Walker (RG). Alex Williams was a redshirt freshman this past year, and is listed at 6-6, 300 lbs.

I wonder if he is good enough to get decent playing time next year. The coaches must think he at least has reasonable talent to list him as a primary back up in his RS Freshman year.

SoonersEnFuego
1/12/2009, 09:20 AM
This year was a hamstring injury, by the way.

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 09:30 AM
Jarvis Jones would give us nice size at guard but didn't he play tackle at LSU? Either way we look good up front next year. The only thing that worries me is we open up with BYU and thats not going to give our line much time to gel. We really needs Sam's leadership next year so I hope he comes back. Anybody thing that Murray won't be full strength come August? If he's not does Calhoun get some snaps? Just intrigued by what Calhoun has shown, granted thats not at the college level.

Toronto Sooner
1/12/2009, 01:18 PM
Jarvis Jones would give us nice size at guard but didn't he play tackle at LSU? Either way we look good up front next year. The only thing that worries me is we open up with BYU and thats not going to give our line much time to gel. We really needs Sam's leadership next year so I hope he comes back. Anybody thing that Murray won't be full strength come August? If he's not does Calhoun get some snaps? Just intrigued by what Calhoun has shown, granted thats not at the college level.

It looks like he backed up at both tackle and guard at LSU.

From his profile on the soonersports.com website:

"2007 (At LSU)
Saw action at both tackle and guard in a backup role during his freshman season ..."

JLEW1818
1/12/2009, 01:22 PM
Good is going to be the real deal. The OLine will take some criticism during the off-season from the media, which might end up helping. This year’s oline was god to the media

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 01:26 PM
My thinking is that next years line will be more athletic then what we were this year. Loadholt was beat by speed guys off the edge more then you like to see and he really improved that a lot this season, but I think we'll be a little smaller up front next year, but we'll be quicker.

JLEW1818
1/12/2009, 01:28 PM
they might have more passion, being younger

Toronto Sooner
1/12/2009, 02:13 PM
Based on what I have heard, most O-line guys either run block well or pass block, but few can do both well. What made our O-line so special this year is that the entire line was able to both run block and pass block at a exceptionally high level (except the few times against Texas when Loadholt struggled against their DE player). This was critical to the success of our fast pace/no huddle offense. It meant we could stick with the same guys on every play, regardless of whether it was a run play or pass play. In many instances, this likely provided an advantage to our offense.

I looking forward to seeing which players win the starting jobs at O-line next year. I think we will have some very spirited competition at both the spring and summer practices. I agree with the person that suggested that the O-line will be re-energized next year. There was no competition this year due to our all NFL line already being set going into the season. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our current O-line candidates will soon begin work on getting in the ideal physical shape (stamina, etc.) in preparation for the April practices. The opportunities are there for guys this year, and a lot of guys will likely try to make the best of it - competition should be fierce. We have a good qaulity pool to pull from (with many guys having some form of limited experience):

1) Cory Brandon (6-7, 308)
2) Stephen Good (6-5, 305)
3) Ben Habern (6-4, 275, Centre)
4) Jason Hannan (6-3, 283, Centre)
5) Jarvis Jones (6-7, 294)
6) Donald Stephenson (6-6, 275)
7) Alex Williams (6-6, 300)
8) Trent Williams (6-5, 308) - if he does not go pro
9) Jeff Vinson (6-6, 348)

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2009, 02:29 PM
Having unknowns at WR and TE really makes me nervous.

And breaking in two new safeties should be interesting.

But we've been through this before I suppose.

Toronto Sooner
1/12/2009, 02:42 PM
10) Kody Cooke (6-4, 291) - he was a RS Freshman this past year, and a 3 star guy from Oklahoma. Otherwise, I know absolutely nothing else about him. Let's see if he can push some of the other guys for some back up playing time at O-line.

picasso
1/12/2009, 06:48 PM
remember the end of the '02 season. Folks were saying we couldn't replace key positions on offense.

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 07:03 PM
There is no guarantee that Gresham goes pro. I think he's an NFL lean, but I heard a report that said that his mom was very adimate about him getting his degree so maybe mom knows best. Best case scenario our team looks something like this.

OFFENSE
QB-S.Bradford
TB-C.Brown(2)D.Murray(3)J.Calhoun
FB-M.Clapp
WR-R.Broyles(2)J.Owens(3)D.Miller
SL-M.Madu
TE-J.Gresham
LT-T.Williams
LG-S.Good
C-B.Habern
RG-B.Simmons
RT-J.Jones

DEFENSE
DE-A.English & F.Alexander
DT G.McCoy & J.McFarland or S.McGee
DT-A.Taylor & D.Granger
DE-J.Beal & R.Washington
SLB-K.Clayton
MLB-M.Balogun
WLB-T.Lewis
CB-D.Franks
CB-B.Jackson
FS-J.Ibiloye or S.Proctor
SS-Q.Carter

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 07:08 PM
You don't see Box beating out Balogun ?

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 07:10 PM
You don't see Box beating out Balogun ?

I think Box is injury prone.

Scotty
1/12/2009, 07:17 PM
1) Cory Brandon (6-7, 308)
2) Stephen Good (6-5, 305)
3) Ben Habern (6-4, 275, Centre)
4) Jason Hannan (6-3, 283, Centre)
5) Jarvis Jones (6-7, 294)
6) Donald Stephenson (6-6, 275)
7) Alex Williams (6-6, 300)
8) Trent Williams (6-5, 308) - if he does not go pro
9) Jeff Vinson (6-6, 348)

At first I thought this was odd....

sorry. i guess I'm a little slow;)

Scotty
1/12/2009, 07:24 PM

WR is actually a position I'm looking forward to in 2009. I don't think people realize how big of an advantage Dejuan Miller's size is(6'5"). I see him being a possession receiver that we were lacking for the most part. I also think Owens athleticism will open alot of peoples eyes, much like - if not more than- ryan broyles did in 2008. Also, hopefully this is the year Adron Tennell lives up to his potential

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 07:36 PM
Any idea where Lamar Harris is in his development? He was suppose to compete at CB last year.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 07:37 PM
WR is actually a position I'm looking forward to in 2009. I don't think people realize how big of an advantage Dejuan Miller's size is(6'5"). I see him being a possession receiver that we were lacking for the most part. I also think Owens athleticism will open alot of peoples eyes, much like - if not more than- ryan broyles did in 2008. Also, hopefully this is the year Adron Tennell lives up to his potential

I share your optimism. No disrespect intended to our senior WRs, but none of them proved to be big play-makers. They were efficient and played well in the system. Manny was making plays before he got hurt, but was never the same after.

But I don't see anyone coming close to Gresham in the pipeline.

josh09
1/12/2009, 07:38 PM

Offense:
* = Returning Starter

Defense:
* = Returning Starter

Special Teams:
* = Returning Starter

I think we have other WR's that are better than those 2, but other than that, I like the way we're looking next year.

Basically, if we're going to be a NC contender again, we have to have Sammy come back. Thats the bottom line.

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 07:39 PM
Miller is supposed to be a very intelligent football player and with his size he could be a huge contributor next year.

josh09
1/12/2009, 07:43 PM
I hope that's the case. Because we had an awesome receiving core this year, and those are some big shoes to fill.

MojoRisen
1/12/2009, 07:57 PM
It would be huge for us to have Sam back, he can barely drink a beer...(although he could buy many shares in Budwieser and make it an American company again) 7-7 for the young recievers.

I think the young guys should have redshirted from what I saw they really were not ready for the speed. Summer Drills would be huge for them with the depth we have in the DB's busting each other's arse and practicing against Sam and getting Landrey ready to roll. Huepel is staying with a raise I hope and I believe with Tennell and Broyles - the rest of the guys can step up. They also think Hanah can be a split threat and a solid TE...

The more I think on it, we could definitely get #8 if we can keep our underclassmen intact!

No reason for Gresham to stay, although he takes the hits and he can only increase his combine with one more year of specific training..

We won't let Sam get hurt...

Who are our bets for recievers stepping up if Gresham is irreplaceable -

Can someone name all of our underclassman recievers? We got Wilson's brother, the kid from the deep south for Speed? The kid from Virginia with power and possession?

The Soph's Owens, Miller & Hannah

It would be interesting to see how they can develop with hard core summer drills and a leader in Bradford.

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 08:00 PM
whatever happened to Tyler Stradford? He had crazy speed but I know he left, so where did he go. I think Caleb and Tennell will be behind Broyles, Owens and Miller. I think Madu will be in the slot making it even more difficult for them to see the field. They've had time to prove themselves.

MojoRisen
1/12/2009, 08:10 PM
I didn't hear about Stafford leaving?

What is the latest on Corey Wilson and Brandon Caleb? I have seen Caleb blow people up on ST.. He is getting pretty big but I think runs that 4-6 thing with great hands..

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 08:11 PM
whatever happened to Tyler Stradford? He had crazy speed but I know he left, so where did he go. I think Caleb and Tennell will be behind Broyles, Owens and Miller. I think Madu will be in the slot making it even more difficult for them to see the field. They've had time to prove themselves.

He quit! One thing I noticed in CG is that Florida could match up with Igy and manny, because they were all the same size and had similar quickness. Julio killed those guys because he was bigger and could overpower them, but they were right there when he caught the ball, he was just too big.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 09:11 PM
He quit! One thing I noticed in CG is that Florida could match up with Igy and manny, because they were all the same size and had similar quickness. Julio killed those guys because he was bigger and could overpower them, but they were right there when he caught the ball, he was just too big.

Yep - we needed an MK type who wanted to be there. I was a bit disappointed we did see more of Chaney, especially in the redzone.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 01:45 AM

Not sure how far you followed the Sooners this year ;) But Quintin Carter looked a lot more impressive than Nic Harris did this year. And Desmond Jackson (I think that is his name) is being talked about a lot on sports talk 1520.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2009, 01:47 AM
10) Kody Cooke (6-4, 291) - he was a RS Freshman this past year, and a 3 star guy from Oklahoma. Otherwise, I know absolutely nothing else about him. Let's see if he can push some of the other guys for some back up playing time at O-line.

I got to watch him while he was in High School at Enid.

He is very physical and has pretty good speed for a linemen. IMHO he will definitely be pushing for a starting or back up role come next fall.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2009, 02:19 AM
Weird...already replied to this once, but it didn't take...

This kid sounds awesome. With him and some of the other recruits we have coming in on D and the returning starters we oughtta have the toughest D in the country.

Let's just get a co-D coordinator that's half Mike Stoops and half Buddy Ryan like I suggested in another thread and we should be set...particularly if Bob decides to play an active role in the D too.

adoniijahsooner
1/13/2009, 12:33 PM
Desmond Jackson missed the title game due to grades. will he be back?

SoonersEnFuego
1/13/2009, 01:01 PM
Not sure how far you followed the Sooners this year ;) But Quintin Carter looked a lot more impressive than Nic Harris did this year. And Desmond Jackson (I think that is his name) is being talked about a lot on sports talk 1520.
That's your opinion, is it?