PDA

View Full Version : Of the three underclassmen considering the leap, who stays?

Desert Sapper
1/11/2009, 04:40 PM
I saw a mock draft (McShay from ESPN) that had all three going in round one. I'm not sure, but I think Sam is the first QB taken if he leaves. I think GK McCoy could go in the top 10. Gresh could go in the top 10-15. Those $$ are mighty big incentive. But so is playing for a championship. Will we lose all three? What are the chances of keeping them all?

SoonerMom2
1/11/2009, 04:42 PM
I would say that keeping them all would be very high since McCoy said he was staying and Gresham said before Christmas that he and Bradford were staying. With an insurance policy taken out on Bradford I would say the chance of his coming back is extremely high.

Desert Sapper
1/11/2009, 04:44 PM
That's good news. When did these guys say this stuff?

josh09
1/11/2009, 04:45 PM
My opinion:

Sam-Stays

McCoy-Stays

Gresham-Goes

Hotrod3157
1/11/2009, 04:51 PM
Its funny how the guy who was the most vocal all year about staying is now the one that everybody thinks is going pro. I feel the same way though of the 3 I think Gresham is most likely to go pro then McCoy then Bradford. It would be freaking outstanding if they all would come back maybe the 3 will decide as a group to give it one more run. My prediction
Gresham - goes
McCoy and Bradford - stay

BigBoomerInBigD
1/11/2009, 04:52 PM
Man, I'd love it if they would all come back.

soonerfan28
1/11/2009, 05:07 PM
My opinion:

Sam-Stays

McCoy-Stays

Gresham-Goes

That how I see it and I'm not sure about Murray. He had a good season, but he won't be able to work out for scouts so that will hurt him and he might not care about the money up front. I Think he'll get payed eventually. He's probably just tired of being injured and he knows that there is talent behind him. He might get hurt again and never see the field at OU.

TXBOOMER
1/11/2009, 05:09 PM
I would say that keeping them all would be very high since McCoy said he was staying and Gresham said before Christmas that he and Bradford were staying. With an insurance policy taken out on Bradford I would say the chance of his coming back is extremely high.

Do you have any of this information confirmed as factual? All I've heard on these have been internet rumors.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2009, 05:14 PM
No one even mentions Chris Brown and I see him as an interesting case. He fits the mold of so many NFL backs that alternate with the featured back just as he is doing now with Murray. He very reliable, can block, catch the ball out of the backfield and he doesn't fumble. I see him as a mid-round pick, but I don't really see his stock going up staying another year.

Toronto Sooner
1/11/2009, 05:16 PM
We should look out for Trent Williams' decision also. He said he received a 2nd round grade from the NFL. He said he's thinking about it, but didn't hint in which direction he is leaning.

Trent seems to possess all of the fundamentals to be a first round pick next year, if he stays in school and continues to develop. However, I guess it comes down to a personal decision. C. Lofton, M. Kelley and R. Smith were all 2nd round picks last year. T. Williams might be happy settling for that also. Let's hope not though, as an O-line guy (a position normally highly coveted by NFL GMs), Trent has a legitimate chance of improving his value (and the big 1st round contract) if he stays in school and develops.

Let's hope he is getting good advice.

http://newsok.com/bcs-national-championship-oklahoma-sooners-might-lose-several-to-nfl-draft/article/3336541

tulsaoilerfan
1/11/2009, 05:25 PM
I hope they realize that all 3 players that left early last year were projected to go higher than they did and cost themselves some serious cash by not coming back for their senior years

CrimsonJim
1/11/2009, 06:11 PM
That how I see it and I'm not sure about Murray. He had a good season, but he won't be able to work out for scouts so that will hurt him and he might not care about the money up front. I Think he'll get payed eventually. He's probably just tired of being injured and he knows that there is talent behind him. He might get hurt again and never see the field at OU.

I seriously doubt Murray will be leaving. He has to prove to the NFL that he's not injury prone. If he can stay healthy and have a good season next year - then he's probably gone.....IMHO.

JLEW1818
1/11/2009, 06:17 PM
I think we will know tomorrow morning

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2009, 06:30 PM
I think we will know tomorrow morning

Oh, don't ruin it for us. ;)

TXBOOMER
1/11/2009, 07:42 PM
I remember a couple of years ago lots of Sooner fans believed AD would stay. I had very little doubt that he would go. I don't know that anybody has ever been more physically ready for the NFL than AD. It is great to have good players but it sucks when they leave early. I am holding out hope that Sam wants to stay another year if for nothing else to add some bulk and get a little more experience. I don't know the numbers but I would like to know what team has lost the most underclassmen to the draft over the last five years.

soonerfan28
1/11/2009, 07:47 PM
I seriously doubt Murray will be leaving. He has to prove to the NFL that he's not injury prone. If he can stay healthy and have a good season next year - then he's probably gone.....IMHO.

Murray's had 2 good years. He's just had freak injuries at the end of the season the last 2 years. My logic is that if he gets injured next year at Ou then he may not be able to pass Madu Brown and Calhoun on the depth chart. It might just be better to take your chances in the NFL. I believe it was Willis MCGahee who got injured in the 2002 Fiesta and still went pro. He wasn't drafted high but he had a chance to prove it at that level.

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2009, 07:49 PM
Everything I have read on the internet....Gresham, Bradford, McCoy all return to OU next year.

They are all Oklahoma Boys that worshipped OU growing up. That is one thing.
Gresham knows he needs to work on his hands and get some more strength before making the leap.
McCoy, he has a promise to his mother to keep.

southern sooner
1/11/2009, 07:59 PM
this could be Bob's biggest recruiting job keeping them. Also, what about Josh, does he go to Minn for the OC JOB?

Curly Bill
1/11/2009, 08:34 PM
Some of you are putting way too much stock in the players saying during the season that they were staying. Think back over the years around the country to how many players actually said during the season that they were leaving...our guys said they were staying during the season because that's what most all players say during the season.

They may all stay, and they may all go, but to put any stock into something they said during the season is pretty high on the list of naivete.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2009, 08:40 PM
Everything I have read on the internet....Gresham, Bradford, McCoy all return to OU next year.

Yeah, but that is just us posting our wishful thinking :P

SOONER STEAKER
1/11/2009, 08:40 PM
I think if Sam stays Gresham will have more incentive to stay, if Sam goes, Gresham goes. McCoy will stay no matter what. As for Heupel, he needs to spread his wings and become an OC. He has been tutored by one of the best in Kevin Wilson. I know I would like Josh to stay because I think him staying or going will play a role in whether Sam stays or goes.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2009, 08:43 PM
Some of you are putting way too much stock in the players saying during the season that they were staying.

I agree. The only correct answer for a player during the season is a definite "no, I'm not leaving early". Admitting they are going will be a distraction and saying they haven't decided will just keep the question coming. And saying "It's none of your business, ***hole" is considered rude :eek:

Newbomb Turk
1/11/2009, 08:45 PM
Some of you are putting way too much stock in the players saying during the season that they were staying.

agree.

we'll just have to wait it out.

Rhino
1/12/2009, 12:25 AM
Chances of leaving early (this year), from highest to lowest:
1. Gresham
2. Bradford
3. McCoy

Money-wise, Gresham needs it the most. Problem is that Pettigrew and Coffman may be selected before him and TE isn't a highly draft position.

IMO, if Bradford does go, he'll fall like Quinn or Rodgers.

McCoy got a 1, but he's staying.

westcoast_sooner
1/12/2009, 12:48 AM
I'm in agreement with most others - Sam and Gerald will likely stay, while Jermaine will likely go. All three will benefit greatly, IMO, from coming back. Demarco is another one that is eligible to go, but his injury situation, not being ready for the combines will likely keep him here.

I wish them all the best in what ever decisions they make, but hope they all stay.

TheGodfather889
1/12/2009, 02:34 AM
I believe realistically that all three will leave. I also believe that Trent Williams will leave because I believe he has the skills to be a very good player in the NFL. However I have heard from some that Sam Bradford is considering staying as much as leaving and Jermaine Gresham said earlier this year he didn't think he was good enough or ready for the NFL which I don't believe. I think players always say that kind of stuff and then usually just jet off.

badger
1/12/2009, 08:01 AM
You should have created a pole. :(

SoonerinSouthlake
1/12/2009, 08:44 AM
Sam is #1 in most mock drafts. NO WAY he stays.

Going overalll 1 is every QB's boyhood dream as well as a lotto ticket for the ole bank account.

swardboy
1/12/2009, 09:18 AM
I don't feel that Heupel has much guidance he could give Sam at this stage, but who would be guiding the younger QB's if he jumped to Minnesota?

Rhino
1/12/2009, 02:14 PM
I also believe that Trent Williams will leave because I believe he has the skills to be a very good player in the NFL. I know he wants to go but he received a 3 Grade, which means You're Stupid if You Come Out Now.

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2009, 02:20 PM
Balogun says he is sticking around for next year. ;)

KingDavid
1/12/2009, 03:01 PM
I've decided to wait around until next year and see if I can improve my spec position before entering the draft.

Sooner_09
1/12/2009, 04:03 PM
GK is staying. That's a big plus for our D next year

Desert Sapper
1/12/2009, 04:16 PM
Sam is #1 in most mock drafts. NO WAY he stays.

Going overalll 1 is every QB's boyhood dream as well as a lotto ticket for the ole bank account.

Going overall #1 might just be suicidal if somebody doesn't trade up with Detroit.

But I agree, big buckeroos to be the equivalent of a tackling dummy.

josh09
1/12/2009, 07:40 PM
My opinion:

Sam-Stays

McCoy-Stays

Gresham-Goes

1 for 1! Hopefully I go 2 for 3 on this one (hoping that JG stays).