PDA

View Full Version : Just took my concealed-carry class

GottaHavePride
1/10/2009, 08:18 PM
Easy. Now just have to get fingerprinted and such.

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 08:28 PM
I gotta get mine here in Texas.

What did you use to qualify with?

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 08:32 PM
A gun?

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2009, 08:36 PM
Easy. Now just have to get fingerprinted and such.Just to test ya, what is the FIRST thing you do after you've kilt some drug crazed bastard(besides reload)?

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2009, 08:38 PM

What did you use to qualify with?I did mine with a Taurus P145. Great little compact for carrying. Plus, it shoots a flame about 2 foot out when you fire it.:D

GottaHavePride
1/10/2009, 08:40 PM

What did you use to qualify with?

Glock 19. Slightly too big to actually carry every day.

Just to test ya, what is the FIRST thing you do after you've kilt some drug crazed bastard(besides reload)?

Heh. Call the police and tell 'em ya took care of one for 'em. ;)

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 08:40 PM
A gun?

I don't know. You were there.

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 08:41 PM
I thought this was about magic.

http://www.schoolassemblyshows.com/images/DennisMichael5.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2009, 08:41 PM

Heh. Call the police and tell 'em ya took care of one for 'em. ;)The Attorney that spoke in our class said to call him first:D

GottaHavePride
1/10/2009, 08:46 PM
The cop that spoke in ours said call the police first, THEN the attorney. Heh.

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2009, 08:49 PM
The cop that spoke in ours said call the police first, THEN the attorney. Heh.That's all good and stuff but, you know the popo will keep you on the phone until they get there and tazer your ***.:D

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 08:49 PM
I don't know. You were there.

Whoops, my bad. I thought GHP said a gun.

I shoot a CZ75B but it's way too big to carry.

Need an excuse to get another handgun, but I'm building an AR-10 right now.

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 08:52 PM

You better apologize...I might get mine soon. ;)

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 09:46 PM

Congrats, and welcome to the club. I carry a Glock 23, same size as the 19 but is a .40 as opposed to a 9mm.

Okla-homey
1/10/2009, 09:47 PM
Easy. Now just have to get fingerprinted and such.

and to burn into every ounce of your brain, you won't skin it unless you fully and irretrievably intend to kill your assailant.

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 09:51 PM
What does sailing have to do with this?

I might not do well when I take my class.

GottaHavePride
1/10/2009, 10:01 PM
and to burn into every ounce of your brain, you won't skin it unless you fully and irretrievably intend to kill your assailant.

Oh, I'm already on board with that. I've never been one to just wave something around to feel more secure about myself, but if it's a choice between me or someone I care about coming to harm or some other ****er eating some hot lead, well, I hope he brought some Tabasco sauce.

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 10:06 PM
Oh, I'm already on board with that. I've never been one to just wave something around...

Go on...:pop:

GottaHavePride
1/10/2009, 10:20 PM
Heh.

And come to think of it, I think PG qualified with a 19. I had the 17.

Jerk
1/10/2009, 10:59 PM
Congrats, and welcome to the club. I carry a Glock 23, same size as the 19 but is a .40 as opposed to a 9mm.

Are you professional enough to carry a Glock 40?

PfVZjbyzFGQ

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 11:08 PM
He's my favorite Gun Safety Teacher....lol

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 11:10 PM
That's some funneh **** right there.

Curly Bill
1/11/2009, 12:47 AM
I wore mine to the WalMarts tonight and didn't get to shoot it...

....on purpose or accidently.

goodonya
1/11/2009, 01:53 PM
Here in Texas my wife and oldest son are qualifying for theirs as I type this. She is using a Sig P229, son is using my Glock 27 carry gun.

Here everything is turn-key. Class, photos, prints, shooting all in 7-hours.

GottaHavePride
1/11/2009, 02:00 PM
Well, we did the class and the shooting. Photos and prints have to be done elsewhere. Then it's a 45-day wait to get the approval back, and then you have to go to the DMV to get the permit issued.

Okla-homey
1/11/2009, 02:27 PM
Well, we did the class and the shooting. Photos and prints have to be done elsewhere. Then it's a 45-day wait to get the approval back, and then you have to go to the DMV to get the permit issued.

Here's on more tidbit. The thing is, yes, we have a statute in Oklahoma that basically says you don't have a duty to retreat from an assailant.* But, please remember, you need to be able to convince a jury you, or anyone else in your shoes for that matter, felt your life was indeed at risk if you decide to pop a cap in a thug. Moreover, it would be good for you if the whole fandango went down on yours, or at worst, neutral turf not involving a drop of alcohol on your part.

If you can't keep all that in mind, and aren't a pretty even-tempered type feller, best leave said pistola in your bedside table.

*Don't know about Kansas law, but given they just passed concealled carry and may not have amended their self-defense statute as Oklahoma has, it may well be that you have a duty to retreat up there.

In most jurisdictions that have the typical "duty to retreat" statute, you may only use deadly force when you are cornered and as a last resort. IOW, shoot only if you reasonably feel you cannot safely bail on the confrontation by complying with the perps demands or high-tailing it. Not to protect property, not to keep yourself from being robbed outside your home, not to end a car-jacking, etc. IOW, in lots of places, and Kansas may be one of them, you don't shoot unless you're in your casa, minding your own bidness, and you feel threatened by an intruder.

GottaHavePride
1/11/2009, 02:38 PM
Nope, Kansas has no "duty to retreat" - they removed it recently. And the cop teaching the class said that your car is considered an extension of your home, so as long as you feel* your life or someone else's life is threatened, you're OK to shoot.

* read: are pretty sure a judge/jury/attorney will agree with you

Heck, he said you don't have to see 'em to fire. If someone's trying to kick your door in and they aren't shouting "POLICE", he suggested just pegging them through the door. ;)

And property is out. Can't shoot a bastage just for stealing your ****.

And HELL no, I'm not drinking if I'm carrying, though the cop DID say Kansas is a bit odd - they've created a CWI law. If you're carrying with BAC over .08 you're in a heap of trouble.

Okla-homey
1/11/2009, 02:47 PM
which means if some skinny meth-head tells you to give him your wallet and you are pretty sure he ain't armed, it would be better to punch him in the mouth than shoot him.

I presume they also covered what to do if you do shoot a guy:

Call the cops, tell them you are a CCP holder who just shot a guy, and that you'll be the guy standing there with your hands up and your revolver/pistol on the ground with the cylinder open/slide locked back and well out of reach when they arrive.

As soon as you've done that and hung-up, call your lawyer. Then, answer no questions and keep your trap shut until your lawyer arrives. If you have a lawyer you use for other matters, by all means tell him about your CCP now, so if that call ever comes, he's prepared to handle it or have someone in mind who will.

Expect to be cuffed, manhandled and charged with a crime. If that doesn't happen, then yay you. But forewarned is better than peeing your pants when the cops roll in and treat you like a garden-variety punk.

StoopTroup
1/11/2009, 03:10 PM
They don't like it when you get to mount one of their trophies. :D

Jerk
1/11/2009, 03:38 PM
I agree with Homster about the golden rule here is STFU

but...

One thing you could consider saying as the popo arrives is this (it should be the first and last thing out of your mouth before your lawyer shows up):

"My God, officer! I'm lucky to alive and glad you're here. That mother$##er tried to kill me" then act like you're sobbing and then STFU.

Okla-homey
1/11/2009, 03:50 PM
I agree with Homster about the golden rule here is STFU

but...

One thing you could consider saying as the popo arrives is this (it should be the first and last thing out of your mouth before your lawyer shows up):

"My God, officer! I'm lucky to alive and glad you're here. That mother$##er tried to kill me" then act like you're sobbing and then STFU.

just remember, anything you volunteer (before or after being Mirandized) can and will be used, and spun, against you. In the legal biz, those volunteer statements are called "admissions," and they are generally admissable evidence the prosecution can use for any purpose, including putting you away at trial.

proud gonzo
1/11/2009, 06:11 PM
Heh.

And come to think of it, I think PG qualified with a 19. I had the 17.no, mine's a 17. Dad says yours was a 34.

GottaHavePride
1/11/2009, 10:39 PM
just remember, anything you volunteer (before or after being Mirandized) can and will be used, and spun, against you. In the legal biz, those volunteer statements are called "admissions," and they are generally admissable evidence the prosecution can use for any purpose, including putting you away at trial.

The cop running our class said the one thing you might actually WANT to say is "I was attacked" and note any evidence, such as if the ****er had a weapon, you might point it out. And then you clam up.

Curly Bill
1/11/2009, 10:47 PM
If I shoot someone I'm just gonna say:

Dude looked at me wrong, and so I capped his ***!

GottaHavePride
1/11/2009, 10:47 PM
no, mine's a 17. Dad says yours was a 34.

AH. Competition model. I knew mine was a big damn gun. I could probably carry a 19 regularly.

Or a Sig P229.

Or a 9mm HK USP.

Heh.

BigRedJed
1/11/2009, 11:01 PM
4H5GepjBRsM

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/12/2009, 11:39 AM
I did mine with a Taurus P145. Great little compact for carrying. Plus, it shoots a flame about 2 foot out when you fire it.:D

You need a gun to shoot out a 2 ft flame?! Puzzy!! ;)

olevetonahill
1/12/2009, 12:02 PM

One Of these ?
http://www.gunsnthings.com/Photos/CZ_folder/CZ75B.jpg
I have this .
http://www.keepshooting.com/productimages/firearms/handguns/cz52pistolbig.jpg

Echoes
1/12/2009, 03:00 PM
I need to as well, Pride.

Bad... Hopefully I'll do it in the summer, I keep putting it off

GottaHavePride
1/14/2009, 10:30 PM
1. Apparently my dad is the guy to beat in the local IDPA matches.

2. He was pretty happy when PG and I showed up at the gun range to practice shooting.

3. I tend to dip the gun slightly low and to the left as I pull the trigger. Not enough to miss a target, but enough that I need some practice. Got to try to keep up with the old man. ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2009, 12:46 PM
Oh, I'm already on board with that. I've never been one to just wave something around to feel more secure about myself, but if it's a choice between me or someone I care about coming to harm or some other ****er eating some hot lead, well, I hope he brought some Tabasco sauce.

I wave something around to feel more manly all the time.

Then again, if I wind up killing someone with it, something's gone horribly wrong.

Some really good advice from Homey in here. Heed it.

salth2o
1/15/2009, 01:24 PM
I completed my CHL training in November. Because of the huge rush of people taking the course, it is taking some people here in Texas up to six months to receive their license.

The instructor in my course was a retired police officer and he told us that if we ever put in a position to use deadly force to tell the police that "I was in fear for my life", then stfu.

C&CDean
1/15/2009, 02:02 PM
I carry whenever I feel like it. I have not, and will not ever attend some silly class and get fingerprinted for the legal right to do so.

Deal is, if you're driving and pull up to a light, and a couple thugs decide to jack your car and jump in waving a gun, and you shoot said jackhole/s in the face like they deserve, the fact that you possess a concealed carry dealio isn't going to matter either way. If it's in your home (and your car is an extension of your home) the CCP doesn't mean ****.

The odds of you needing a gun to protect yourself out at the walmarts is pretty slim. However, if jackhole is shooting the place up, and you drill said jackhole in the ear with your popgun I'm not sure whether you having a CCP or not really matters much. Either way, I always follow pop's advice: I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

StoopTroup
1/15/2009, 02:31 PM
Word.

OU4LIFE
1/15/2009, 02:41 PM
AH. Competition model. I knew mine was a big damn gun. I could probably carry a 19 regularly.

Or a Sig P229.

Or a 9mm HK USP.

Heh.

look errbody, tha redneck that's getting a CCP don't even know what kind of gun he's usin.

excellent.

oh and ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2009, 02:50 PM
Listen, pendejo, you try that bool**** on me, I take your gun away and stick it up your *** and pull the trigger until it go click, click, click.

olevetonahill
1/15/2009, 03:25 PM
I carry whenever I feel like it. I have not, and will not ever attend some silly class and get fingerprinted for the legal right to do so.

Deal is, if you're driving and pull up to a light, and a couple thugs decide to jack your car and jump in waving a gun, and you shoot said jackhole/s in the face like they deserve, the fact that you possess a concealed carry dealio isn't going to matter either way. If it's in your home (and your car is an extension of your home) the CCP doesn't mean ****.

The odds of you needing a gun to protect yourself out at the walmarts is pretty slim. However, if jackhole is shooting the place up, and you drill said jackhole in the ear with your popgun I'm not sure whether you having a CCP or not really matters much. Either way, I always follow pop's advice: I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Bingo
Hell Carry a revolver ( No brass laying around ) Defend Yer self , then Let the critters clean up after you .

yermom
1/15/2009, 03:33 PM
Listen, pendejo, you try that bool**** on me, I take your gun away and stick it up your *** and pull the trigger until it go click, click, click.

Jesus.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2009, 03:35 PM
Jesus.

You said it, man.

proud gonzo
1/15/2009, 03:42 PM

yeah, that's what the cop teaching the class said. But he also said that since you CAN get a legal permit to carry now, police are FAR less lenient if you just haven't bothered to get a permit.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, but if you register then when Obama's secret police force starts rounding up gun owners you mights as well not even WEAR your tinfoil hat, 'cause they'll know where you are anyhow.

C&CDean
1/15/2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, but if you register then when Obama's secret police force starts rounding up gun owners you mights as well not even WEAR your tinfoil hat, 'cause they'll know where you are anyhow.

****in' A man, ****in' A.

Jerk
1/15/2009, 09:57 PM

Don't joke about it, there is already a bill introduced in the House to license every handgun and semi-auto rifle owner in the U.S.

GottaHavePride
4/2/2009, 03:25 PM
Went and turned in my paperwork. In about 45 days I'll be able to go get my permit.

colleyvillesooner
4/2/2009, 03:42 PM
8 year olds dude...

walkoffsooner
4/2/2009, 04:26 PM
When fear is running a muck I fear not. What other rights are you willing to pay cash for? With no arguement.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2009, 09:05 PM
BUMP!

Just got my permit. Now I just have to figure out what to carry when I carry.

Oh, and spend some time at the gun range. Last time I was at an IDPA shoot I neutralized one target by putting a pair of rounds through the hostage's shoulder. You lose points for that. ;)