PDA

View Full Version : It's really not that complicated

aero
1/10/2009, 07:01 PM
It seems some fans would rather we went to the Holiday Bowl. Or perhaps the Alamo. Maybe the Independence Bowl. How about the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Man, just think of the stellar bowl record we could rack up. Now, we could lose one of those bowls just as easy as the BCS Championship but our chance of winning those would certainly be better. Is that what we want? Not me.
Truth is, college football is probably more competitive than at any time in its history. The elite teams are very good. So are teams that may not have the history of others. ANY team can beat another on any given day. While I find it hard to believe that our Sooners are able to EVER lose a game, sensibility says we will. And the more we play in championships, the more likely we may lose. I have wished since I was 10 years old that OU would NEVER lose a game. That's a lot of years since that I've been gut-kicked with EVERY single loss. I finally figured out some time ago that, much to my chagrin, OU was going to lose games. Sometimes to inferior opponents. Sometimes to better teams. Yes, that's right. Sometimes there are actually better teams. But I've always known that's the way it is. I'm not sure it would be better if we didn't have to struggle. Kind of like winning every game of checkers with a 5 year old or winning 3 out of 10 games of chess against a master. Yes, we're paying in advance for number 8. And maybe number 9. But OU still is what most college football teams aspire to be.
Oklahomans have probably been called just about every derogatory name one could think of. Primarily out of ignorance. Many times out of jealousy. I've never let it bother me. I know what we truly are. I know that because of who and what we are, we can handle the adversity, keep our heads high, and when we win our next MNC, we handle it with the grace of a champion.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2009, 07:29 PM
Hey, it sucks to lose, but at least we are losing to the #1 ranked team. Not sure why we dropped to 5th after the loss, but what do I care?

I am with you. I'd rather go to the NC game and lose than to win the Boulan Weedeater bowl.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2009, 07:40 PM
We dropped to fifth simply because we ended up with two losses. The teams above us finished with only one loss or no losses.

In the eyes of the pollsters, it is better to beat a sissy Big-10 team like Ohio State or Penn State in a bowl game than lose to the eventual national champion.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2009, 07:43 PM
By the way, there is a connection to a playoff system in this thread.

In a playoff system, all teams finish as losers every year except one. So those that criticize OU for a season-ending loss had better be prepared for that same losing feeling every year.

So those fans of UT or USC that criticize OU for its loss in the national title game are hypocrites if they favor a playoff system.

Crimsontothecore
1/10/2009, 07:46 PM
It seems some fans would rather we went to the Holiday Bowl. Or perhaps the Alamo. Maybe the Independence Bowl. How about the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Man, just think of the stellar bowl record we could rack up. Now, we could lose one of those bowls just as easy as the BCS Championship but our chance of winning those would certainly be better. Is that what we want? Not me.
Truth is, college football is probably more competitive than at any time in its history. The elite teams are very good. So are teams that may not have the history of others. ANY team can beat another on any given day. While I find it hard to believe that our Sooners are able to EVER lose a game, sensibility says we will. And the more we play in championships, the more likely we may lose. I have wished since I was 10 years old that OU would NEVER lose a game. That's a lot of years since that I've been gut-kicked with EVERY single loss. I finally figured out some time ago that, much to my chagrin, OU was going to lose games. Sometimes to inferior opponents. Sometimes to better teams. Yes, that's right. Sometimes there are actually better teams. But I've always known that's the way it is. I'm not sure it would be better if we didn't have to struggle. Kind of like winning every game of checkers with a 5 year old or winning 3 out of 10 games of chess against a master. Yes, we're paying in advance for number 8. And maybe number 9. But OU still is what most college football teams aspire to be.
Oklahomans have probably been called just about every derogatory name one could think of. Primarily out of ignorance. Many times out of jealousy. I've never let it bother me. I know what we truly are. I know that because of who and what we are, we can handle the adversity, keep our heads high, and when we win our next MNC, we handle it with the grace of a champion.

Great post. I will be a happy man if we lose another 3 title games over the next ten years because it will mean we've had some hellacious seasons along the way.
BOOMER SOONER!

AlbqSooner
1/10/2009, 09:35 PM
In all candor, I don't think I would be a happy man if we lose another 3 title games over the next ten years. Grateful? You betcha. Reasonably satisfied? Oh yeah. Happy? probably not.

I am a fan of the Oklahoma Sooners and have been since they were in the early stages of a 47 game win streak. I am spoiled ROTTEN with the success of my chosen team. Happy? I really doubt it. That is what happens when you have the success that we have had.

I understand your point, and I realize that the fans of the Vanderbilts, Kentuckys, Iowa States and Pokies would be dancing in the streets to have a ten year run like we have just finished.

After the reality check of the 90s, I am really grateful for this 10 years and I can smile and continue to brag about the Sooners. But Bud, Barry, and Bob, along with some of the finest football players ever to have strapped on the chin strap in college have spoiled me to the point that happiness needs a bit more. I want number 8. Sooner fans can understand this feeling. Very few other teams have fans who can relate.

BOOMER SOONER!

delhalew
1/10/2009, 09:44 PM
In all candor, I don't think I would be a happy man if we lose another 3 title games over the next ten years. Grateful? You betcha. Reasonably satisfied? Oh yeah. Happy? probably not.

I am a fan of the Oklahoma Sooners and have been since they were in the early stages of a 47 game win streak. I am spoiled ROTTEN with the success of my chosen team. Happy? I really doubt it. That is what happens when you have the success that we have had.

I understand your point, and I realize that the fans of the Vanderbilts, Kentuckys, Iowa States and Pokies would be dancing in the streets to have a ten year run like we have just finished.

After the reality check of the 90s, I am really grateful for this 10 years and I can smile and continue to brag about the Sooners. But Bud, Barry, and Bob, along with some of the finest football players ever to have strapped on the chin strap in college have spoiled me to the point that happiness needs a bit more. I want number 8. Sooner fans can understand this feeling. Very few other teams have fans who can relate.

BOOMER SOONER!

And somehow you and aero both right. Crazy world.

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 09:55 PM
wow...A thread full of sensibel posts. You guys have it all right. We oughtta be spoiled and the monster oughtta get fed, but on those years when the monster only gets an appetizer we can still feel good about OUr team.

Jack T.
1/10/2009, 10:08 PM
12-2, Conference Championships, BCS games are, quite honestly, *average* for Oklahoma.

You're happy being average?

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 10:37 PM
Average for OU is godlike for any other team, so yeah...and next year we can hope to be above average for OU and win it all.

westcoast_sooner
1/11/2009, 10:00 PM
As I've posted in another thread, OU fans ARE lucky to have had Bob Stoops for the last 9 seasons. He's taken our beloved Sooners to 4 BCS Championship games. I realize we're 1-3 in those games, but Mack Brown would give both his n*&s to play in that many championship games. Come to think of it - in that span, Mack has played in exactly 2 Championship games.

OU is about Championships - Texas appears to be about rhetoric.

TheGodfather889
1/11/2009, 10:23 PM
I don't want to go to mediocre bowls just to win them and rack up stellar bowl records. Even if OU wins BCS bowl games as long as it isn't the National Championship I do not believe the failure will fade and erase. I want OU to go to the National Championship every year and compete because the goal that they want to achieve and that the school and fanbase want to achieve is winning National Championships. That is why you play the game to win the biggest prize of them all. I believe if we play in enough of these games we will eventually win.

WildHorse
1/12/2009, 10:52 AM
As I've posted in another thread, OU fans ARE lucky to have had Bob Stoops for the last 9 seasons. He's taken our beloved Sooners to 4 BCS Championship games. I realize we're 1-3 in those games, but Mack Brown would give both his n*&s to play in that many championship games. Come to think of it - in that span, Mack has played in exactly 2 Championship games.

OU is about Championships - Texas appears to be about rhetoric.

In the last 10 years, Texas and Mack have only been to one Championship game.

Hot Rod
1/12/2009, 11:05 AM
Here's my take on the last few bowl losses.

Against LSU - we played a great close game, we didn't get throttled, just outplayed at the end
Against USC - got beat by the best team in college football that year
Against BSU - got beat by hungry undefeated team who prolly could've beat most teams that night
Against WVU - got beat by, to me, the best team that year, but had an unfortunate loss late in the regular season. If they've would've won that, they've would've won the NC.
Against FU - got beat by the best team in college football that year

We're not losing to ordinary teams. And no, you can't say well they're Boise State. Utah clobbered up on 'Bama, we fought BSU in OT.

Give me the conference championships when Texass chokes in the regular season. We have just as many wins as they do this year!

SoonerFaninAZ
1/12/2009, 12:55 PM
'Tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.

MojoRisen
1/12/2009, 01:17 PM
I am pretty much kicked in the gut, and I don't like loosing BCS games. As long as I feel our team put it on the line I can handle the adversity.

We have been on the loosing end of some unbelievable games and I have been to all of em which makes it a little tougher.

LSU, Bosie and Florida all could have easily went our way. As long as I feel like we are prepared and played our arse off we can be proud.

I don't like loosing though and find it unacceptable - we are running into some pretty damn good teams though and playing for it all.

This year I felt we were the best team and if Bradford comes back along with our other underclassman - I think Undefeated and payback to TEBONER will more than atone for this loss!

OUAlumni1990
1/12/2009, 01:18 PM
Oklahomans have probably been called just about every derogatory name one could think of. Primarily out of ignorance. Many times out of jealousy. I've never let it bother me. I know what we truly are.

Trust me brother, I know. I have lived on both sides of the border for many years. From what I can gather, its like this: Texans have NO class and NO sportsmanship, but think they do. OKLAHOMANS have TONS of class (but don't know it) and are some of the FRIENDLIEST people in this country. Kind of a vicious cycle. It goes far beyond the game, its all about class...

soonerfan28
1/12/2009, 01:30 PM
113 seasons and 7 national titles. They don't come very often but when they don't I'll still be a fan.

soonermix
1/12/2009, 01:34 PM
We have been on the loosing end of some unbelievable games and I have been to all of em which makes it a little tougher.

i'm afraid that i'm going to have to confiscate your tickets

MojoRisen
1/12/2009, 03:04 PM
i'm afraid that i'm going to have to confiscate your tickets

Maybe, however I think it was when my ex girlfriend took beads from an old lady in New orleans that were LSU color. I told her that she probably just F'd up our Mojo because she decided to go ahead and wear them.

She is long gone

TopDawg
1/12/2009, 05:31 PM
By the way, there is a connection to a playoff system in this thread.

In a playoff system, all teams finish as losers every year except one. So those that criticize OU for a season-ending loss had better be prepared for that same losing feeling every year.

In a 120-team playoff, yes. In an 8-team playoff, no.

In an 8 team playoff we'd increase the number of teams that finish as losers by 3. (Instead of 4 BCS bowls yielding 4 winners and 4 losers, we'll have 7 playoff games yielding 1 winner and 7 losers).

85Sooner
1/12/2009, 07:09 PM
If OU is a Championship caliber team, there is no reasonable explanation why when we meet a team of Similar talent, coaching, schedule, etc..... that we should lose 75% of the time. That is underperforming. Currently, that is what we are seeing. Now, one can be a homer, just glad to get the nomination type, or the type that expects OU to perfrom to a certain level. Just because expectations are not met does not mean we ought to throw the baby out with the bathwater but to not question the results and expect change is plain homerism.