PDA

View Full Version : Injuries

Dan Thompson
1/10/2009, 06:30 PM
I say Manny get hit along the left side line early in the game and I don't think he ever came back in.

I thought the hit was a little late, but they never seem to call any PI.

delhalew
1/10/2009, 06:32 PM
Well it wasn't late. It was early. No PI was called and Manny was fine. He made some catches.

PLaw
1/10/2009, 07:09 PM
Well it wasn't late. It was early. No PI was called and Manny was fine. He made some catches.

Yeah, the replay pic was great there was Manny reaching back for the ball, the UF DB's helmet under Manny's chin strap, and the ball hitting the DB square in the back. Yeah, I'd say he was early.

Those ACC officials reminded me of the eyes of texass from the 80's.

BOOMER

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2009, 07:09 PM
The hit on Manny was perfectly legal and it was an NFL-level play by the safety. Got there right as the ball arrived.

He came back in the game and made a couple of catches after that.

Edit: the play I'm talking about was a go route on the first drive. Others may be talking about another play. Anyhow, the ball was past and below Manny's shoulder when he got hit

Getem
1/10/2009, 09:06 PM
This is the point of impact. Looks like it's early to me...

http://members.cox.net/gswood64/manny-pi.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 10:07 PM
Looks early to me too and I was screaming it at the time.

But that isn't what lost the game...just a frustration to see that kinda crap.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2009, 10:15 PM
That one is never going to be called.

delhalew
1/10/2009, 10:19 PM
Even a gator fan I was shackled with during the game thought it was early, but it was a SWEET hit. Manny surely felt that for a while. To pull it off legally(with the exception of his timing) was all the more impressive.

SoonerMom2
1/11/2009, 09:36 AM
Even a gator fan I was shackled with during the game thought it was early, but it was a SWEET hit. Manny surely felt that for a while. To pull it off legally(with the exception of his timing) was all the more impressive.

That is an idiotic statement. "To pull it off legally (with the exception of timing)" means it should have been flagged. Think you should find your way out the door after that comment. Calling a SWEET hit -- give me a break. The defender tried to take out our player and led with his helmet. Getting there early is not a SWEET hit -- it is a penalty. Some of you new posters are dense to be kind.

SoonerMom2
1/11/2009, 09:39 AM
The hit on Manny was perfectly legal and it was an NFL-level play by the safety. Got there right as the ball arrived.

Edit: the play I'm talking about was a go route on the first drive. Others may be talking about another play. Anyhow, the ball was past and below Manny's shoulder when he got hit

After looking at the picture, would you care to rephrase your comment that he got there as the ball arrived? NFL-level play leading with the helmet?

AgriGator
1/11/2009, 09:39 AM
This is the point of impact. Looks like it's early to me...

http://members.cox.net/gswood64/manny-pi.jpg

Meyer seemed to like it.

Harry Beanbag
1/11/2009, 10:09 AM

That one is never going to be called.

Wow Mike, you couldn't be more wrong on this one.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2009, 12:21 PM

I call it more of a college-level play. In the NFL, they just don't allow DBs to time a hit with the ball unless they at least pretend to be looking back at the ball. IF the safety comes in head-down like this playing the man, they get a hit-on-defenseless-receiver flag. If they hit contacts the guys helmet, they will also get a fine from the league the following week. It doesn't matter if they time it perfectly (which wasn't the case on this play).

Bonehead
1/13/2009, 10:23 AM
The Florida DBacks played extremely aggressive football all night. Mostly I blame the OU wide receivers for not stepping up their intensity to match how UF was defending them.

Did this play affect the outcome of the game? Possibly.

This play and the one before it when an OU receiver was held while trying to dive for the ball (and that was caught by the TV commentators who pointed out the hold) weren't called by the officials. There were no calls by the officials on consecutive, should have been called penalties by the Gator DBacks. And this on the first possession of the game.

If they'd been flagged twice early on, might it have caused the UF Dbacks to step back a bit? Maybe. Might it have put a little hesitation in them? Possibly. Might it have put OU's offense into a good position to score on that first possession? Possibly.

But it is what it is. We'll never know.

On to next year

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/13/2009, 11:00 AM
I recall Reggie Smith making a very similar play last year. I didnt complain then so I'm not complaining now.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/13/2009, 11:09 AM
I felt that part of the problem on that play was Sam lofted the ball up too high and hung Manny out to dry. Put that throw on more a rope and Manny scores untouched. He had gotten behind the corner and the safety wouldn't have made it over.

yermom
1/13/2009, 11:21 AM
the first contact with the ball i saw was the back of the defender in the replays. i'm not sure how that is timed right

it was an awful place to throw the ball...

Frozen Sooner
1/13/2009, 02:06 PM
After looking at the picture, would you care to rephrase your comment that he got there as the ball arrived? NFL-level play leading with the helmet?

The picture is angled ahead of the play.

So no, I wouldn't.

Widescreen
1/13/2009, 02:38 PM
It should've been a flag. He led with his helmet, had no idea where the ball was and nailed Manny before the ball got there. The only way it was a "good play" is if you look at it from Florida's perspective since they didn't get flagged.

Scotty
1/13/2009, 03:10 PM
I recall Reggie Smith making a very similar play last year. I didnt complain then so I'm not complaining now.

If you are talking about this one

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOjZUuAIQmA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOjZUuAIQmA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

then i have to disagree.

Of course, this was a couple years ago so we might not be thinking of the same play.

oupride
1/13/2009, 04:07 PM
I remember watching the replay, the hit was made before the ball even came into the picture. I think it was a blown call by the officials.

delhalew
1/13/2009, 04:12 PM
Yep great big suckage on the part of the officials.

TahoeSOONER
1/13/2009, 04:18 PM
Great hit, PI none the less, but still a great hit on Manny. It's called setting the tone. I about kicked my TV when it happened and wasn't called but you'd take that 15 yards to start the game if your Florida. It sets the tone and let's the WR know your coming for them all game.

It was PI and let me be crystal clear that this game was poorly officiated and the tempo of this game was in part due to the poor officiating. The zebras seemed losted in many aspects and spot the ####### ball and get out of the way!

It's almost like they wern't prepared for how fast paced this game was suppose to be for OU.

Oh well, it wasn't meant to be clearly because we had every opportunity to shut that team up and failed. It's on OUs shoulders, not the lost officiating.

BOOMER!

soonerfan715
1/13/2009, 04:20 PM

I would have to disagree on this one. The pic posted shows the hit was clearly too early. It was obvious to me at the time.

Getem
1/13/2009, 07:38 PM
I think that would be called anytime the ref is sharp-eyed enough to see that the hit was before the ball. We didn't get that. Still, they could have made whatever call is reviewable and go to the tape and make the right call. Since they didn't do that, plus they didn't call either of the more obvious penalties on the play (spearing and taunting), I'm going to assume that they weren't even watching the game at this point. Probably using the first few minutes to brush up on the rules or something.

hgarmorer
1/13/2009, 08:24 PM
I like the part where the ball was spotted, and both lines get in position and then someone from the UF D-line smacks the ball away. OUr guys are looking around like WTF, the backjudge walks in and tells the ref what happened and points to UF mind you...no flag, just reset the ball and call it even. I couldn't believe that shat.

Widescreen
1/13/2009, 08:32 PM
I like the part where the ball was spotted, and both lines get in position and then someone from the UF D-line smacks the ball away. OUr guys are looking around like WTF, the backjudge walks in and tells the ref what happened and points to UF mind you...no flag, just reset the ball and call it even. I couldn't believe that shat.

How is that not a delay of game penalty? More weirdness. :confused:

Harry Beanbag
1/13/2009, 09:42 PM
The ACC officials were way out of their comfort zone in that game.