PDA

View Full Version : Why we hate Tim Tebow...

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2009, 05:48 PM
Hate is a strong word, but since the only thing I have heard recently regarding sports has been hyperbole, I am going with the flow here.

I watched the game at a bar and got several texts that the announcers were talking only about tt. I just finished watching the game and taking notes and here is what I came up with.

First and foremost the adoration of tt was ridiculous and was not sent Bradford's way. In the first half tt was not effective in the least. He threw 2 picks. Harvin was the playmaker. OU's offense was moving the ball at will and Bradford was getting no love. The level of play wasn't even close. tt was weak. Bradford was strong.

First half mentions of tt by name (not including face time, graphic pop ups, and special stories, jeez) - 55
Times he was referred to as Superman- 3
Times that Bradford was mentioned by name - 45

During the Half Time report, both qb's were mention only twice.

During the second half tt's play improved considerably. This is when it got grotesque. I stopped when the game clock hit 0:00.

Second half mentions of tt by name - 64
Referred to as Superman - 1
Times Bradford was mentioned by name - 22

Total tt mentions - 123
Total Sam Bradford mentions - 67

Gushing comments about tt during the game -

"The Passion, the Fire of the unquestioned greatest leader in college football and an even more impressive young man."

"if you are lucky enough to spend five or twenty minutes around Tim Tebow your life is better for it."

"Wow. Desire. Power."

The announcers then spoke of tt's Ole Miss post game press conference and quoted it verbatim. Then they played the clip. I had to hear the same thing twice.

"His remarkable achievements off the field define him far more than those on the field... he fed needy children... lived in an orphanage, a leper colony. Just an extraordinary young man."

"He's an AMAAAAAZING kid"

"So many things you hear about him and none of it does him justice."

On Dom Franks comment of tt- "That might be the single most ridiculous statement that anybody has ever uttered."

The announcers also said that there are a bunch of kids at these missions that are named after him.

After tt taunted Nic Harris with the gator chop and got a PF the announcer said "might be the first thing he has ever done wrong in his life."

WTF??? Are these ****ers out of there minds?
One of their receivers got a PF for giving a first down sign after a nice catch. Tebow had a 15 yd run and got up screaming, running, waving his hands and punching the air. No question that he was celebrating and it was excessive. No flag.

One of Fla's players got a PF for taking off their helmet. When tt did it and was talking directly to an official. No flag.

Positive comments about Sam Bradford during the game -
"...the most accurate passer in college football."

"He has a different style of leadership than tt, but it's no less effective."

"...another extraordinary young man to lead [OU]."

This was a massive disparity in the type of talk about the two teams. Fla was always talked about in a positive lights, while OU was lucky to be in the game.

This is the kind of **** that makes me sick and it's why a lot of us hate ESPN (FOX too after that crap). I have been hearing about tt for 3 years and someone needs to shut the **** up about this guy before I kill him... and he rises 3 days later. BTW, how would you like to be his brothers? They have been on all of the same missions. No one talks about how great they are as humans.

Also, no one talks about how great Sam Bradford is as a human. He's awesome. He played a great game and **** espn, kirk herbstreit and those sorry Fox announcers.

Ok, I am done.

G8RB8
1/10/2009, 06:01 PM
Let it go

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2009, 06:07 PM
Let it go

Hey. Did you come up with that g8r name yourself?

Nice. Really nice work.

L-Boy
1/10/2009, 06:08 PM
Somebody needs a new Hobby.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 06:09 PM
Somebody needs a new Hobby.

No kidding, still not welcome on your own gatorbater boards?

L-Boy
1/10/2009, 06:10 PM
No kidding, still not welcome on your own gatorbater boards?

Still "not impressed" with Percy Harvin?

Widescreen
1/10/2009, 06:11 PM
You gators can go away now. Seriously.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 06:12 PM

Nice try retard, I wasn't one who said I was not impressed with him. ;)

L-Boy
1/10/2009, 06:15 PM
Nice try retard, I wasn't one who said I was not impressed with him. ;)

When I pointed out 2007 season Harvin had 1700 all purpose yds,you said you were not impressed. At least man up to what you said.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2009, 06:17 PM

He was very impressive, just like Maclin. Don't think anyone ever said he wasn't impressive.

What you Florida folks seem to miss is that your speed wasn't the factor that everyone said it was. OU had their opportunities to win this game. Fla did their job, but it wasn't a lock until the 4th with 3 minutes to go.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 06:26 PM
When I pointed out 2007 season Harvin had 1700 all purpose yds,you said you were not impressed. At least man up to what you said.

Why, because I can separate being less then impressed with a whopping 1700 yards, and the abilities of the player that got them?

1700 all-purpose yards is not that great.

Do you now understand dumas?

L-Boy
1/10/2009, 06:27 PM
He was very impressive, just like Maclin. Don't think anyone ever said he wasn't impressive.

What you Florida folks seem to miss is that your speed wasn't the factor that everyone said it was. OU had their opportunities to win this game. Fla did their job, but it wasn't a lock until the 4th with 3 minutes to go.

No arguments at all from on that one. OU neutralized most of the "speed" that was being argued, in terms of the "pure" speed of Rainey, Demps and Brandon James. Harvin is more than just speed, and he had a great game, even though he wasn't 100%. I would argue that the D held OU production to lower levels, partially due to speed, especially in the defensive backfield. A few of those plays that were broken up or intercepted may have been TD's in the Big 12.

A few on here were arguing Harvin was not particularly special, and that the Gators had "no go to guy". Curly specifically said Harvins stats were not impressive.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 06:30 PM
A few on here were arguing Harvin was not particularly special, and that the Gators had "no go to guy". Curly specifically said Harvins stats were not impressive.

OK idjit, one more time...Curly is smarter then you, Curly can separate the fact that 1700 all-purpose yards is not that great, Curly knows that does not mean the player that compiled those yards is not a good player.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2009, 06:34 PM
No arguments at all from on that one. OU neutralized most of the "speed" that was being argued, in terms of the "pure" speed of Rainey, Demps and Brandon James. Harvin is more than just speed, and he had a great game, even though he wasn't 100%. I would argue that the D held OU production to lower levels, partially due to speed, especially in the defensive backfield. A few of those plays that were broken up or intercepted may have been TD's in the Big 12.

The goal line stands... The weird interceptions... Freakish. No one would believe that those plays could be made, but they were. That's why I don't feel particularly bad about this loss.

I can and will bitch about the announcing though. When I watched the game at home today, I was blown away at the tone. Shameless.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2009, 06:35 PM
Let it go

Don't tell Sooner fans what to do on our board.

GG84
1/10/2009, 06:38 PM
This thread is useless without this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxWFDgQyZgo

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2009, 06:42 PM
Let me elaborate, Gator Fans:

JW3K is a longtime poster here. He is allowed to say whatever he likes about Tim Tebow or, really, any opposition player within the bounds of reasonable decorum and avoidance of civil liability.

You, however, are not welcome to tell any Sooner fan to do anything while a visitor here.

If you do not like the tone of the threads here, please feel free to migrate back to GatorCountry or wherever.

Personally, I don't give a rat's *** about who got more face love from the announcers. JW3K does, and that's his right. He's among Sooners and if he wants to vent among Sooners, that's OK. If you don't like it, shove off or be shoved.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2009, 07:03 PM
Let me elaborate, Gator Fans:

JW3K is a longtime poster here. He is allowed to say whatever he likes about Tim Tebow or, really, any opposition player within the bounds of reasonable decorum and avoidance of civil liability.

You, however, are not welcome to tell any Sooner fan to do anything while a visitor here.

If you do not like the tone of the threads here, please feel free to migrate back to GatorCountry or wherever.

Personally, I don't give a rat's *** about who got more face love from the announcers. JW3K does, and that's his right. He's among Sooners and if he wants to vent among Sooners, that's OK. If you don't like it, shove off or be shoved.

And I thank you.

If I hadn't been texted by multiple parties during the actual game, I wouldn't have done this little experiment at all. I had time to watch the game today and just did tally marks. The tone was pretty incredible really. I suspect not unlike the political landscape over the last election.

I tried to post all of the compliments that I heard for both qbs and I was just shocked at how lobsided it was. Sam deserves more credit for all that he has done as a role model, a student, and a player.

PLaw
1/10/2009, 07:05 PM
Let it go. But for ESPiN to say there has "never in the history of college football been a player like TT" is a stretch here are a few QB's that I think had similar games. A few of these may have had MORE success than TT with the same level of talent:

1) Donovan McNabb
2) Michael Vick
3) Vince Young
4) Cordell Stewart

And then there was Culpepper and McNair.

Yeah, I think we have seen alot of equal and similar QB's

BOOMER

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2009, 07:22 PM
Let it go. But for ESPiN to say there has "never in the history of college football been a player like TT" is a stretch here are a few QB's that I think had similar games. A few of these may have had MORE success than TT with the same level of talent:

1) Donovan McNabb
2) Michael Vick
3) Vince Young
4) Cordell Stewart

And then there was Culpepper and McNair.

Yeah, I think we have seen alot of equal and similar QB's

BOOMER

Hey, thanks! Now, without an opinion I won't need to post on this message board any more.

Thanks for thinking for me PLaw. If I could remember anything that you had ever posted, I am sure that I would respect your post even more.

A Sooner in Texas
1/10/2009, 07:39 PM
JW3K is right on the mark with his assessment of the announcers. Even my co-workers the next day (two horn fans and a Tech fan, all of whom were rooting for the Sooners - my horn boss even wore a red shirt the day of the game to show his support) were as flabbergasted as I was over the deification of tebow. It was disgusting and unbelievable. He is a great player, but no better than Sam. Tebow is just a better showboater. Sam is more cerebral - for you gator fans, that means he's more intellectual. Smarter. And more humble. Sam doesn't like the spotlight on him...he'd prefer to share it with his team. Tebow never shies away from it, and I always thought Christians weren't supposed to tout their good works.
You gators who actually have the audacity to tell Sooners what they can and cannot say on our own board...**** the hell off.

BOOMER SOONER

TUSooner
1/10/2009, 07:51 PM
See my signature? That sums up the way I view the sports media. I'm not going to argue that Tebow is not a great player or person. And I like to see virtue and hard work rewarded. It'[s better than glorifying the gangsta life for sure.

But there are a lot of barking dogs these days and, as JW3K pointed out, hyperbole is the flavor of the decade. You really can't blame folks like JW3K (and me) for saying enough is enough, especially when the gushing and teeny-bopper style hysteria is all about the "other" guy. And Thom Brennaman's gushing is surpassing the great Brent Gushberger himself. The ongoing hagiography of Tebow is overdone even by today's standards. Nobody's perfect, not even Tebow. And let's get this straight: Tebow did not hop out of the manger one fine morning and rush off to feed the multitudes all on his own. His parents are missionaries, I believe. But neither one of them can lower a shoulder or throw a tight spiral, so they labor more quietly and will have their reward when it matters.

Tebow's wondrous great deeds have been trumpeted on the street corners enough; he's had his reward.
(as aptly noted by a Sooner in Texas)

I've had enough of Tebow-fest, and soon the whole nation will feel the same. Because we not only bark like dogs, we have short attention spans.

catsigater
1/10/2009, 08:02 PM
I always thought Christians weren't supposed to tout their good works.

I've yet to see an example of Tebow "touting his good works" in any manner Scriptures would condemn. If you have, please enlighten me.

For the record, while I'm a huge Tebow fan, I also think he's a kid who like all of us has natural characteristics which serve him well in some situations, but may make for some tough sledding in others. Nothing startling about that, just human nature.

But it seems that most of his detractors, including many on this board, get confused between the media's slobbery coverage of Tebow and his own words and actions.

I did find the comment wondering if Tebow may be bi-polar interesting. I'm not a fan of armchair psychologizing, but I can see how a casual observer may make that inference. Who knows?

Interesting to note that many scholars have pinned that same diagnosis on King David, who though he had many glaring failings was considered "a man after God's own heart."

Let the bashing begin...

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/10/2009, 08:05 PM
Tebow is a good tight end that can throw the ball just enough to get by. He won't be a qb at the next level. As for Franks comments, I agree. But I would say he is probably the 5th best in the south behind Robinson. He won't play QB at the next level. He may get there as a tight end.
As for Harvin, all we heard was how fast he was. His speed was so great that Usain Bolt couldn't catch him. If that was the case how did Lendy Holmes run him down?
The thing that I find ironic about the whole game is that Switzer has been saying for years that the option could still work in major college football with the right players. I just hate that he was proved right against us.

LawGator2011
1/10/2009, 08:19 PM
Here's a great article called - "Tebow is Human after all". If you can see thru your own bitterness and tears, it's a good read with alittle more realism.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2009/01/09/a1c_tebow_0110.html

GG84
1/10/2009, 08:22 PM
As for Harvin, all we heard was how fast he was. His speed was so great that Usain Bolt couldn't catch him. If that was the case how did Lendy Holmes run him down?

Harvin was maybe 80% healthy. You don't have to believe that if you want, but it's true. He is as fluid a runner as I've ever seen but you could tell, especially on his long runs, that he was laboring a little bit.

Gatorcarson
1/10/2009, 08:24 PM
It sounds like your problem is with the media, not Tim Tebow. Tim Tebow is one of the few athletes in this day and age who uses his spotlight and sets a good example. In this day and age, so many great athletes make the news for getting arrested, etc.

How in the world can anyone say they Hate Tim Tebow? He is a great kid and a great athlete. If you hate the media talking about him so much then say that. But to start a thread with the title of why you hate Tim Tebow is just low class in my opinion. Some people unfortunately think they have to put out someone else's flame to make their own shine brighter.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2009, 08:27 PM
In case you Gator fans have missed my TWO previous posts explaining this in this thread:

You do not get to make derogatory comments about Sooner posters in this forum, no matter what you think of their comments about Tim Tebow.

I've only been handing out two-point cards regarding this. The next infraction is a banning.

I am completely out of patience with this.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/10/2009, 08:32 PM
It sounds like your problem is with the media, not Tim Tebow. Tim Tebow is one of the few athletes in this day and age who uses his spotlight and sets a good example. In this day and age, so many great athletes make the news for getting arrested, etc.

How in the world can anyone say they Hate Tim Tebow? He is a great kid and a great athlete. If you hate the media talking about him so much then say that. But to start a thread with the title of why you hate Tim Tebow is just low class in my opinion. Some people unfortunately think they have to put out someone else's flame to make their own shine brighter.

He seems like he is a good kid and I agree that is rare in this day and age. So I agree with you, I don't hate him, I get tired of the media kissing his butt. But I would say the same about Pete Carroll and Les Miles and the list goes on and on. All I said about his was that he's not an NFL quarterback. He will play tight-end or fullback. Which is fine. Better than I would ever do.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/10/2009, 08:32 PM
But it seems that most of his detractors, including many on this board, get confused between the media's slobbery coverage of Tebow and his own words and actions.

I didn't find that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty one bit confusing.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/10/2009, 08:37 PM
Harvin was maybe 80% healthy. You don't have to believe that if you want, but it's true. He is as fluid a runner as I've ever seen but you could tell, especially on his long runs, that he was laboring a little bit.

How many snaps did the dude play? 50? healthest 80% I have ever seen. I'm not saying he isn't a fluid runner. I'm not saying he is slow. I'm just saying Lendy ran him down

Crimsontothecore
1/10/2009, 08:38 PM
I've yet to see an example of Tebow "touting his good works" in any manner Scriptures would condemn. If you have, please enlighten me.

For the record, while I'm a huge Tebow fan, I also think he's a kid who like all of us has natural characteristics which serve him well in some situations, but may make for some tough sledding in others. Nothing startling about that, just human nature.

I did find the comment wondering if Tebow may be bi-polar interesting. I'm not a fan of armchair psychologizing, but I can see how a casual observer may make that inference. Who knows?

Interesting to note that many scholars have pinned that same diagnosis on King David, who though he had many glaring failings was considered "a man after God's own heart."

Let the bashing begin...

I think the kids a good person..but lots of the kids playing on both sides are good kids. It's just absurd how he is placed on such a high pedestal. So he travels to the Philippines to help the less fortunate, Lot's of christian kids with wealthy parents do those things. Call it "missionary" work or whatever.

I don't know how "godly" he is when the cameras aren't following him around but I do know he taunted the OU players late in the game with that silly "Chomp" thing. Part of football? absolutely. Part of being a christian? not really. The kids just that...a kid like all the others. No better and no worse.

bluedogok
1/10/2009, 08:45 PM
Even you Gators have to admit that the media attention on Tebow has gone past ridiculous...and I see plenty of local deification of the Whorn athletes down here by the media, with the most lavished upon Vince Young a few years back. Even today there was a local hack (I know the Sooner fans will know who it was (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/01/10/0110bohls.html)) complaining about all the attention lavished on Tebow, as usual he had some good points in there sprinkled amongst the Whorn propaganda. The Fox station here on their local news had a "feature" that they had pimped all night on Colt McCoy's Diet (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=8217952&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=6.9.1).

I think most of us could respect Tebow the player, even the guy but as I pointed out in another thread, the media has built him up so much that he has nowhere else to go but down. In some ways I feel sorry for him that he can't be more like a "typical" college student/athlete and seem more "real" instead of a deity. It is awfully hard for anyone to maintain a persona that has been crafted about him in the media and they will be as quick to tear him down just as they have built him up. It may also be through no fault of his own, the media will bring him down just go on to the next "hot story".

catsigater
1/10/2009, 09:26 PM
I didn't find that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty one bit confusing.

But you are confusing my point with something else.

The "confusion" I was addressing in the post you quoted was the one that seeks to blame Tebow for "touting his own good works," in an un-Christian manner, when it's the media who's doing it, not him.

As I said, the kid's got flaws, as do we all. From a Christian standpoint it might be fair to say he doesn't easily turn the other cheek (hence the taunting), but that wasn't the criticism, was it?

It may also be through no fault of his own, the media will bring him down just go on to the next "hot story".

They will if they can. The only thing the media loves more than raising up heroes is destroying them.

L-Boy
1/10/2009, 09:32 PM
The goal line stands... The weird interceptions... Freakish. No one would believe that those plays could be made, but they were. That's why I don't feel particularly bad about this loss.

I can and will bitch about the announcing though. When I watched the game at home today, I was blown away at the tone. Shameless.

It was in some ways kind of an odd game, and I in no way think we dominated OU - a few things go differently and OU wins that ball game. I would submit some of those freakish plays were at least partly due to UF's players doing, not just random events.

I don't disagree at all on the excessive praise lathered on Tebow - overall I think Fox BCS broadcasts were terrible. But I am not going to hold the media's excesses against Tebow, he is a good kid and a very good football player.

Bamadad
1/10/2009, 09:38 PM
Just look at it this way. He's got along way to go to catch Elvis. He'll never be half of what Elvis was.

delhalew
1/10/2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah, yeah. he's a good kid. Thats lovely. Unfortunately, thanks to Fox I wanna puke at the sight of him. I dont need to be sickened during an OU game, because the announcers want Tebow to take them behind the bleachers.

Like it or dont. I could give a damn.

L-Boy
1/10/2009, 09:40 PM

Let the bashing begin...

As to bi-polar, I have grown much more knowledeable of this affliction than in the past, but still have more to learn. There are different types of bi-polar. The most common is "mania", and in adults usually manifests itself with fairly long cycles going from depression on the low cycles to irrational elation and feeling invunerable on the high side. These cycles usually go from days to weeks. There are other types of bipolar though

What I see in Tebow is just somebody is extremely and maybe even irrationally competitive. There are those who can be very calm affable people, but put them in a competition and they can be absolutely fearless, rude, or do just about anything to win. Is that bi polar? Probably not. Is that level of competitiveness good or bad? It depends, can be both.

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 10:05 PM

My biggest complaint is I never saw him outrun any Sooners under 300 pounds all game long.

The "confusion" I was addressing in the post you quoted was the one that seeks to blame Tebow for "touting his own good works," in an un-Christian manner, when it's the media who's doing it, not him.

I find nothing confusing about a guy who takes a camera crew to watch his missionary work, boil-lancings, and circumcisions and hams it up for said camera and somehow manages to have this video pop up on sports shows.

Dio
1/10/2009, 10:18 PM
Anybody know where I can get a "WWTTD?" visor or wristband?

TIA

redhawk49
1/10/2009, 10:31 PM
In case you Gator fans have missed my TWO previous posts explaining this in this thread:

You do not get to make derogatory comments about Sooner posters in this forum, no matter what you think of their comments about Tim Tebow.

I've only been handing out two-point cards regarding this. The next infraction is a banning.

I am completely out of patience with this.
Thank You! While I am a professional lurker it is making me absolutely nauseous again having to hear (read) about st. tebow all over again on OUr own board!

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 10:37 PM
Thank You! While I am a professional lurker it is making me absolutely nauseous again having to hear (read) about st. tebow all over again on OUr own board!

How much income can someone bring home doing that? ;) :D

NawlensGator
1/10/2009, 10:39 PM
WOW!! Thanks Sooners - what a funny thread!!

So Timmy got more mentions than Badfert. Wow!!

He also got more 1st place Heisman votes.

Did you really expect Sam to get talked about more than Tim? If so, Why?? I didn't. Mentioned twice as much sounds about right.

redhawk49
1/10/2009, 10:42 PM
How much income can someone bring home doing that? ;) :D

You'd be suprised!:D

Ground_Attack
1/10/2009, 11:22 PM
How in the world can anyone say they Hate Tim Tebow? He is a great kid and a great athlete.

Well, look at it this way. Cheesecake is a great dessert. It looks great and tastes great. I LOVE cheesecake (especially with cherries on top) but if I eat 37 pieces, I'm gonna want to puke the next time someone puts a plate in front of me.

I think Tebow is a good person and a very good football player. I think I would really like him as a person. However, I think I might puke the next time I hear his name.

Okie35
1/10/2009, 11:28 PM

Did you really expect Sam to get talked about more than Tim? If so, Why?? I didn't. Mentioned twice as much sounds about right.

its all good tim is a great college player i dont really see him doing anything significant on the next level though might as well stay in his domain another year...

8timechamps
1/10/2009, 11:40 PM
Tim Tebow is a runaway train heading for a brick wall. Unfortunately, it's not of his own making.

When this kid messes up once...just once, he'll be sent to the woodshed like no public figure ever.

I don't hate or dislike Tebow. However, the media has made me sick at the sight of him.

And, for all the gator fans, trust me, NOBODY outside of the Gator faithful and the media can stand TT. Just sorry you don't see that.

Nice first post JWTK!

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/11/2009, 12:11 AM

I don't pretend to be an expert on Christians or Christianity. But the true Christians I have known and respected would have said to the media, "Guys, I understand your game but this is between me and my Lord and I don't want it publicized. Even if my church is willing to release that video of me and the kids, I would prefer to keep my own good works private."

And they also would have asked themselves, "Who would Jesus taunt?" and not done the chomp in Nic Harris's face. No matter how much he might have provoked them earlier. Because Christians are supposed to turn the other cheek.

Just my two cents, YMMV.

TUSooner
1/11/2009, 12:13 AM
Well, look at it this way. Cheesecake is a great dessert. It looks great and tastes great. I LOVE cheesecake (especially with cherries on top) but if I eat 37 pieces, I'm gonna want to puke the next time someone puts a plate in front of me.

I think Tebow is a good person and a very good football player. I think I would really like him as a person. However, I think I might puke the next time I hear his name.

BINGO

A Sooner in Texas
1/11/2009, 01:42 AM
I don't pretend to be an expert on Christians or Christianity. But the true Christians I have known and respected would have said to the media, "Guys, I understand your game but this is between me and my Lord and I don't want it publicized. Even if my church is willing to release that video of me and the kids, I would prefer to keep my own good works private."

And they also would have asked themselves, "Who would Jesus taunt?" and not done the chomp in Nic Harris's face. No matter how much he might have provoked them earlier. Because Christians are supposed to turn the other cheek.

Just my two cents, YMMV.

That two cents is right on the money. :D

Tebow loves the publicity, and one of these days it's gonna come back and bite him on the butt. How wonderful that he does these good things, but Christians aren't supposed to show off their good works. They are much more meaningful when done without seeking to make a name for yourself through them.

SPuL
1/11/2009, 02:16 AM
I have been hearing about tt for 3 years and someone needs to shut the **** up about this guy before I kill him... and he rises 3 days later.

lmao niceee

This thread is useless without this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxWFDgQyZgo

"They give you a little option... give you a little play action... then they give you a little Tebow."

"He's the QB your most want your daughter to marry."

"He can high jump too!!"

rofllll it's so rediculous.

When other plays celebrate excesively it's "oh wow, look at that unsportsman like conduct. Disrespecting the game!"

when it's Tebow though it's "THERE HE GOES!!! LOOK AT THAT PASSION!!"

I can't wait till he flops in the NFL.

All they'll be left to say is "Look at the way he sits on that bench. The kid is simply amazing at what he does."

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2009, 02:18 AM
Tim is the perfect embodiment of what I would call "false humility."

Here is a quote that I think sums up my problems with Tebow: "Humility is like underwear, essential, but indecent if it shows."

And with Tebow, he wears his humility like Madonna used to wear her bras.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2009, 08:22 AM

How could anyone's flame shine brighter than tt's? I have heard about this guy for 3 years. The first of which he did nothing.

Did you read the first sentence of my post?

Did you?

Did you read it?

Did you?

That's how I can say I hate tt. Just like I can say I hate anything and not really mean it.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2009, 08:45 AM

Glad you enjoyed it. I suspect that this will be one of your last posts here.

I'll answer your question. I expected the clash of the Heisman qb's to be announced as such. It was tt verses some other guy. Read the quotes. Staggering.

Bradford's parents didn't drag him all over the world to force their religion down vulnerable people's collective throats. Bradford is an exemplary young man. He fits the phrase Role Model to a t, regardless of his religion.

He did win a of couple of nice awards this year while smashing records of offense production. He deserved better than het got.

I wonder if tt had come to these hard hit places without food and other relief items, if he would be so well received. My guess is he would have been slaughtered and eaten and then praised.

AgriGator
1/11/2009, 09:44 AM
http://cappythompson.com/stained_glass_jaypegs/fox_grapes.jpg

TUSooner
1/11/2009, 09:51 AM
http://cappythompson.com/stained_glass_jaypegs/fox_grapes.jpg

nice try :rolleyes: But sometimes the grapes really are sour... or rotten. I'll bet that a zillion or so people with no real rooting interest in the game are sick of being fed all these Tebow grapes.

Circle City Gator
1/11/2009, 10:10 AM
Tebow is a good tight end that can throw the ball just enough to get by. He won't be a qb at the next level. As for Franks comments, I agree. But I would say he is probably the 5th best in the south behind Robinson. He won't play QB at the next level. He may get there as a tight end.

You didn't actually watch that game, did you? Tebow made some great throws, on a line. Seriously, at this point that kind of stuff just sounds like sour grapes.

Perhaps because the "ankle sprain" we've been hearing about all this time turned out to be a broken ankle, but he played on it anyway. Also, Lendy Holmes had a huge angle on him. He did not run him down from behind.

AgriGator
1/11/2009, 10:13 AM
nice try :rolleyes: But sometimes the grapes really are sour... or rotten. I'll bet that a zillion or so people with no real rooting interest in the game are sick of being fed all these Tebow grapes.

I guess opposing fans get sick of the media love he gets. I get kinda sick of it too, when all they do is repeat themselves time and time again ad nausem. Tim is a great QB, as is Bradford. What can I say. I am glad he is a Gator and hope he returns for his senior season. I hope Bradford returns as well as I am a fan of college football and don't really care for the NFL.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2009, 10:27 AM
I guess opposing fans get sick of the media love he gets. I get kinda sick of it too, when all they do is repeat themselves time and time again ad nausem. Tim is a great QB, as is Bradford. What can I say. I am glad he is a Gator and hope he returns for his senior season. I hope Bradford returns as well as I am a fan of college football and don't really care for the NFL.

I actually like tt. I think he is weird and the press on him is just stupid, but he's got good intentions, good character, and he's a damned good player.

The title of my thread is "why we hate tt", not that any of us really do hate the guy.

Sadly, I think Sam will (and should) head to the NFL. It's his best shot for a high pick. tt (much to my dismay) needs to stay in school another year and raise his nfl stock.

I might have to put a plexiglass shield in from of the tv before next football season, if that is the case.

The hype couldn't get any worse, could it? Now he has 2 rings, so I expect the worst.

L-Boy
1/11/2009, 11:25 AM
That two cents is right on the money. :D

Tebow loves the publicity, and one of these days it's gonna come back and bite him on the butt. How wonderful that he does these good things, but Christians aren't supposed to show off their good works. They are much more meaningful when done without seeking to make a name for yourself through them.

Is Tebow the one seeking the publicity? It seems to me the media is doing that. Tebow and Tebow's dad were doing this stuff long before any of this media publicity. So the assertion is that he is supposed to intentionally avoid publicity to his work, and essentially keep it a secret??

There can be value bring attention to good works, because others may want to assist, either with their efforts or their money, or maybe they see this and decide to do something along the same lines. If they were doing this simply to pimp Tebow, then I would agree with you, but they have been doing this for years, so I doubt its done all for Tim's benefit.

As I understand it, years ago his dad made quite a significant investment to do this, so its not as if they are doing this for material or monetary gain.

L-Boy
1/11/2009, 11:32 AM
I actually like tt. I think he is weird and the press on him is just stupid, but he's got good intentions, good character, and he's a damned good player.

The title of my thread is "why we hate tt", not that any of us really do hate the guy.

Sadly, I think Sam will (and should) head to the NFL. It's his best shot for a high pick. tt (much to my dismay) needs to stay in school another year and raise his nfl stock.

I might have to put a plexiglass shield in from of the tv before next football season, if that is the case.

The hype couldn't get any worse, could it? Now he has 2 rings, so I expect the worst.

What is sad is that I get your intention in the thread - you don't like the media oversaturation, which is very understandable, and you are using hyperbole in your "hate" of TT. I get that. What is unfortunate is that others here choose to make it a character assassination of a good kid.

I understand its fun for some to sit behind the anonymous safety of their PC screen and take potshots at a decent kid that they will never have to defend publically, hell, all teams fans have boards like that, including the Gators. Still it is pretty distasteful, and it shows something about people when they feel the need to tear down the good works or question the faith of a kid just because he was part of a college football team that beat the team that you pull for.

bluedogok
1/11/2009, 12:51 PM
Still it is pretty distasteful, and it shows something about people when they feel the need to tear down the good works or question the faith of a kid just because he was part of a college football team that beat the team that you pull for.
It just isn't the OU fans that are sick of him, pretty much ALL college football fans outside of UF fans are sick of the media saturation of Tim Tebow exceeded only by the media infatuation of Obama. I live in Austin, the UT fans are sick of hearing about Tebow, so are my Texas Tech, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Michigan and Ball State co-workers. It is like he has become the ONLY story in college football to the national media people, THAT is what makes the population outside of the Gainesville faithful grow to dislike the Tebow persona (I will not say Tebow the person) because it has started to become more of a caricature of the player and person. That is a disservice to him, especially when the day comes that the media will turn on him, because they ALWAYS do at some point. As I and others have stated in this and other threads, it is going to be a mighty fall for him and I truly feel sorry for him when that event does happen.

NawlensGator
1/11/2009, 03:20 PM
Good article over on GatorCountry dot com I'm sure many from Sooner Nation will want to read comparing Tebow to Gen. Douglas McArthur. How a 21 yr old kid can survive all the media hype is beyond me.

TheGodfather889
1/11/2009, 03:50 PM

I don't hate Tim Tebow at all I always perceived him as a decent guy that just happened to be stubborn and has a competitive streak. However I do think he's a little strange but I'm sure that has to do with his upbringing. He did after all grow up praying all day and doing missionary work while being homeschooled instead of becoming more socialized not that I'm judging that, it was his life. I like Tim Tebow a lot better than Matt Leinart because I thought Matt Leinart was a poor excuse for a human being and was simply an arrogant *******. I'm not bitter either of Tebow beating us because my skin at this point is thicker than any alligator's skin. I was born in 1984 so I grew up in the Gibbs, Schnellenberger and Blake years along with the BCS failures all of that has enabled me to handle setbacks in football well by experiencing failure in every aspect from the 1990's to the BCS losses while at the same time being able to witness them reaching the pinnacle with them winning the National Title in 2000.

G8RB8
1/11/2009, 03:51 PM
I agree that the media coverage about Tebow is a bit much, but I can't believe the thread starter actually wasted his time during the National Championship game to count how many times someone's name was mentioned. JW3K, you may as well not turn on your TV next season, Tebow is coming back...

colhu7
1/11/2009, 04:13 PM
spending 5-20 minutes with tebow will not better my life. i cant believe a grown man said that about a college athlete. i personally think tebow is insecure b/c he always mentions Jesus every chance he gets. i know extremely religious people who dont metion Jesus as much as him. im so glad i was at the game and not listening to the slobbering on tv.

L-Boy
1/11/2009, 04:20 PM
It just isn't the OU fans that are sick of him, pretty much ALL college football fans outside of UF fans are sick of the media saturation of Tim Tebow exceeded only by the media infatuation of Obama. I live in Austin, the UT fans are sick of hearing about Tebow, so are my Texas Tech, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Michigan and Ball State co-workers. It is like he has become the ONLY story in college football to the national media people, THAT is what makes the population outside of the Gainesville faithful grow to dislike the Tebow persona (I will not say Tebow the person) because it has started to become more of a caricature of the player and person. That is a disservice to him, especially when the day comes that the media will turn on him, because they ALWAYS do at some point. As I and others have stated in this and other threads, it is going to be a mighty fall for him and I truly feel sorry for him when that event does happen.

I have never disagreed that he is being overhyped by the media. My issue is with those who feel the need to question Tebow's Christianity, character and deeds. I am sure others outside of Tebow-land feel the same way, but it seems there is a bit heavier dose of Tebow jealousy in this forum.

The whole thread started with a person who felt compelled replay the game and to count the number of times Tebow was mentioned vs Bradford - so I submit its as much about Bradford not getting the hype vs Tebow getting the hype. One could argue we are getting a little obsessive in here.

The ghost of Dr Worm
1/11/2009, 04:31 PM
Maybe you have too much ketchup.

delhalew
1/11/2009, 07:29 PM
I haven't said anything negative about Tebow the person. So I'm gonna start now. Have you ever heard someone described as pious as a negative. At least half of this media attention would be impossible without his cooperation.

Whats more I've always hated it when an athlete points toward heaven when making a play. Or being interviewed and every other word out of his mouth is GOD. A relationship with GOD is personal and not a sideshow.

If Jesus is my copilot, what the hell is Tim Tebow?

For L-boy: If your offended by my anonymity PM me. You are in Texas were I spend alot of time. We can have this conversation in person.

The Remnant
1/11/2009, 08:03 PM
After the game I would like to have asked Tebow how the taunting penalty for which he was flagged fits into his Christian ethics. It's not the media's fault that Tebow wears his religion on his sleeve. It's not the media's fault that Tebow acted like a jerk near the end of the game. The media is responsible for its one-sided lovefest.

The Remnant
1/11/2009, 08:06 PM
P.S. I don't hate Tim Tebow. I just think he is an idiot.

TheGodfather889
1/11/2009, 10:19 PM
Those who way the media will turn on Tim Tebow are exactly right. They do that to everyone since in sports and especially college football guys do come and go. I personally thought the media love for USC, Matt Leinart, Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush was worse than the love for Tim Tebow. I imagine if Tim Tebow were to screw up next year on the field or it may take until after he leaves college that the media will ignore him because I am one that does not believe he will be a great player in the NFL. The love for Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush went away after college and it especially helped since those two are busts anyway.

L-Boy
1/11/2009, 10:25 PM
I haven't said anything negative about Tebow the person. So I'm gonna start now. Have you ever heard someone described as pious as a negative. At least half of this media attention would be impossible without his cooperation.

Whats more I've always hated it when an athlete points toward heaven when making a play. Or being interviewed and every other word out of his mouth is GOD. A relationship with GOD is personal and not a sideshow.

If Jesus is my copilot, what the hell is Tim Tebow?

For L-boy: If your offended by my anonymity PM me. You are in Texas were I spend alot of time. We can have this conversation in person.

I appreciate your generous gesture, but you get my point (or maybe you don't).

While as a non religious person my preference would be for religious people to keep their beliefs to themselves and keep it personal, but that is you mine, and maybe your opinion. From my upbringing in a fundamentalist church, I can tell you that many faiths don't think its just a personal private thing. They believe you should be compelled to spread the word and "save" souls. Personally I find that quite irritating, but to imply it is a private matter is not consistent with many faiths.

Having said that, if a person feels compelled to point to the sky or give a shout out to Jesus, in the scheme of things who does that harm? As long as its not over the top, and from what I have heard, Tebow usually does not belabor the point. (when religious overtures get into the political arena, I am much less tolerant of it, that is a whole different ball game)

I am sure there are Tebow detractors out there everywhere, but the press wouldn't be oogling over him if most people feel negatively towards him. The press generally give people what they want. So I can only conclude the nearly 100% Tebow disapproval on this board (the level of disapproval varies from moderate to extreme) I think is an aberration, and can only be explained by the fact that he is the QB of the team that beat you, and Sam is not getting the same level of public love as Tebow, so the tearing down of Tebow is a way of trying to rationalize and cope with the outcome of the Title game.

The good thing is you get to experience a whole another year of Tebow Mania. Thank you Jesus. :D ;)

bluedogok
1/11/2009, 10:35 PM
I am sure there are Tebow detractors out there everywhere, but the press wouldn't be oogling over him if most people feel negatively towards him. The press generally give people what they want. So I can only conclude the nearly 100% Tebow disapproval on this board (the level of disapproval varies from moderate to extreme) I think is an aberration, and can only be explained by the fact that he is the QB of the team that beat you, and Sam is not getting the same level of public love as Tebow, so the tearing down of Tebow is a way of trying to rationalize and cope with the outcome of the Title game.
So that's why everyone else with no connection to OU is sick of hearing about him as well? That sound more like a rationalization by those who worship at the altar of Tebow. Go check any other board, I can guarantee you they are sick of the media love for Tebow as most of us have been stating, not Tebow the person....for the 100th or so time.

Curly Bill
1/11/2009, 10:38 PM
I was sick of Tebow before this season ever started.

delhalew
1/11/2009, 10:47 PM
I appreciate your generous gesture, but you get my point (or maybe you don't).

While as a non religious person my preference would be for religious people to keep their beliefs to themselves and keep it personal, but that is you mine, and maybe your opinion. From my upbringing in a fundamentalist church, I can tell you that many faiths don't think its just a personal private thing. They believe you should be compelled to spread the word and "save" souls. Personally I find that quite irritating, but to imply it is a private matter is not consistent with many faiths.

Having said that, if a person feels compelled to point to the sky or give a shout out to Jesus, in the scheme of things who does that harm? As long as its not over the top, and from what I have heard, Tebow usually does not belabor the point. (when religious overtures get into the political arena, I am much less tolerant of it, that is a whole different ball game)

You don't have to tell me. My wife was raised Jahovah's witness.

The good thing is you get to experience a whole another year of Tebow Mania. Thank you Jesus. :D ;)

Many people just eat up whatever is rolling off of the hype machine at any given moment. As far as the team that beat us goes. I was over him 2 yrs ago, and quite clearly in the run up to the NC.

If you don't think his constant witnessing is excessive or contrived, fair enough. We'll just agree to disagree.

soonerscuba
1/11/2009, 10:58 PM
but it seems there is a bit heavier dose of Tebow jealousy in this forum.Absolutely not. Tebow is a good player, from everything I can tell a decent person, and obviously a winner. But our quarterback just piloted what was perhaps the best offense in college football history. In an alternate universe with Tebow as our QB, we don't even make it to the NC because he doesn't have the particular skill set to run our system which piled on at the end of the season to convice people we belonged. Tebow takes too long in the pocket, and rarely gets past his second read, but he makes up for it with being a beast. It works great for Florida, but it wouldn't work here. Tebow was minor factor in our loss (7 teams scored more on us this season than Florida), if I were jealous of anything, it would be your red zone defense.

TheGodfather889
1/11/2009, 11:53 PM
Sam is not getting the same level of public love as Tebow, so the tearing down of Tebow is a way of trying to rationalize and cope with the outcome of the Title game.
Not for long, Sam will play on sundays as an actual quarterback. Tim Tebow might be a tight end or a fullback in the NFL but won't get the same attention that Sam will in the NFL. On another note you've got to realize a lot of OU fans are pretty pissed off about the teams failures in the last 5-6 years. It's straight up embarrassing that such cursed events would happen to a program like Oklahoma which is one of the top 3 programs in the history of college football. I expressed a lot more hatred and venom toward Matt Leinart four years ago because I thought he deserved it since he's a pompous asswipe. You know the UF fan base would be pissed as well if such events happened to the football team. Barry Switzer called the Oklahoma fanbase "The Monster" and now the Monster is even hungrier. It is fed up with Big XII Titles and wants crystal so very badly. However though I am very glad that Florida has now overtaken the title in the country as the best and most talented football program right now over USC. I still hate those bastards from L.A.

007sooner
1/12/2009, 02:34 AM
However though I am very glad that Florida has now overtaken the title in the country as the best and most talented football program right now over USC. I still hate those bastards from L.A.
+1. any season that doesn't end with a suc national title = a good season.

Also though I have a modicum of respect for Tebow for not being one of those players who run their mouths about God and Christianity whenever they get in front of the cameras but do nothing to show their faith in the rest of their lives, you can't have the media image of you as a saint without setting yourself up for a serious backlash when doing something like taunting opponents in the closing minutes of a game you clearly won. Sorry, you just can't.

And you're right about one thing L-Boy - we're mad Bradford doesn't get the same amount of respect from the media. At least I am. Or at least I was. Cause it does matter when it comes to actual results and polls that determine rankings. And because Bradford is an excellent, smart, talented QB who has, for all intents and purposes, actually managed to stay humble. Unlike Mr. You-will-never-see-anyone-play-harder-than-me-in-the-entire-history-of-the-world.

TheGodfather889
1/12/2009, 02:49 AM

What will be really funny is when he falls off the face of the earth. Don't take that as jealousy either because there are hundreds of athletes that are more worthy to be jealous of than Tim Tebow. The guy is just another sad case of a fanatic Christian that uses his faith as a coping mechanism. He many have a Heisman Trophy which I won't lie I've wanted one since I was very young but it's pretty obvious that once college is over for him that the media will turn on him and they will focus their attention that he generated on someone else like the media always does. However though I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see Tim Tebow on tv in the future, once his short NFL career is over he might move to Bangladesh or the Philippines and start an insurance company like Gator Insurance or something like that. He'd probably try to advertise it world wide just so he's not forgotten or God forbid that his faith has been forgotten.

tbl
1/12/2009, 09:23 AM
Here's the thing; my opinion is that he needs to say something about all this attention he's been getting. Not once have I heard him say anything in an interview to try and curb this love affair; not once. I know it's a possible catch 22 b/c if he did, the media might say "look how amazingly, humbly, passionately, willed, glorious, blah blah", but it would make the rest of the 49 states view him in a much more positive light... and would probably do an even better job for his Christian witness.

The problem most people have with him as a person is that he has completely embraced this image that the media paints of him and seemingly relishes in it. Still, I just wonder how much love the media would continue to have for him if he were to attempt to set them straight...

cheezyq
1/12/2009, 09:47 AM

Wow, if this ain't a hypocritical post...

OUmillenium
1/12/2009, 09:57 AM
Radio went undefeated beating OU, Ohio St, and USC. My vote goes to fumbles over Tebow, even though I like Tebow better.

cheezyq
1/12/2009, 10:01 AM
Tebow = great football player. But that's it. Sure he has outside interests that are...generous, so to speak. But he isn't the saint that the media makes him out to be.

Think of all the NON-college football stars who do the same kinds of things out of the pure goodness of their own hearts, without the constant media attention, without the support of millions of college football fans and media members. Where's the camera when those people are literally risking their lives to accomplish good? Oddly, Tebow can't seem to accomplish these kind acts without a camera around.

Whether that's his fault or not doesn't matter. But what Tebow gets love for is his ability to run over a linebacker. If he couldn't do that, no one would give him a second thought for what he does overseas for Philippine children. He's idolized for his football skills and these outside acts he performs just gives the media a means to justify the god-like status they deem upon him.

When you think about it, it's actually quite sickening that they would exploit his kindness as an excuse to deify the football player in him.

SoonerLB
1/12/2009, 10:12 AM
I see the future for him and his religious rah-rah act as being under a Revival tent, bilking idjits out of their money. My current view of him is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/timenewman.jpg

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2009, 10:30 AM
Still it is pretty distasteful, and it shows something about people when they feel the need to tear down the good works or question the faith of a kid just because he was part of a college football team that beat the team that you pull for.

Our teams have never played and I have never had much of an opinion on Fla one way or the other (until the Spikes and DC comments that everyone seems to think were nothing compared to the nefarious Dom Franks). I have just been a fan that watched as much college FB as possible and was glad when Fla beat LSU.

However! The while tt was largely riding the pine behind Chris Leak, I was already watching his over hyped jump passes on ESPN and hearing how great he was. Hell, Leak was dogged a lot that year. Last year, the hype machine got tt a Heisman after going 9-3. When does that happen?

Seriously, are you sick of hearing about Pete Carroll and usc? I am. I was incredibly sick of tt well before I had any idea that we were in a game against Fla. Watching the game at a bar was fine. I couldn't hear it.

I knew what to expect when watching the replay, so I didn't hurt the tv, but I am sure that many football fans across the country wanted to pull an Elvis.

It's not just teams that play Fla. It's people that watch football and aren't Fla fans.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2009, 10:34 AM
I agree that the media coverage about Tebow is a bit much, but I can't believe the thread starter actually wasted his time during the National Championship game to count how many times someone's name was mentioned. JW3K, you may as well not turn on your TV next season, Tebow is coming back...

Dude. It was the replay. Why reply if you don't read the post?

G8RB8
1/12/2009, 10:57 AM
"Dude. It was the replay. Why reply if you don't read the post?"

Either way, you have too much time on your hands...dude

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2009, 10:57 AM
Whether that's his fault or not doesn't matter. But what Tebow gets love for is his ability to run over a linebacker. If he couldn't do that, no one would give him a second thought for what he does overseas for Philippine children. He's idolized for his football skills and these outside acts he performs just gives the media a means to justify the god-like status they deem upon him.

When you think about it, it's actually quite sickening that they would exploit his kindness as an excuse to deify the football player in him.

Like I said, his brothers do the same wonderful works. Who are they? Chip and Steve Tebow? Just a couple of **** heads that are lucky enough to be related to the great tt.

Should Thom Brenneman talk about their great works off the field? ...how their lives are equal to tt?

Remember, tt is defined by his OFF the field works, right? My ***. His brothers' sure as hell aren't.

TUSooner
1/12/2009, 11:32 AM
Let's not forget to share some blame especially with Thom Brenamananaman. He's the most hyper-hyping hypester in all of hyperdom.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2009, 11:44 AM
"Dude. It was the replay. Why reply if you don't read the post?"

Either way, you have too much time on your hands...dude

I don't waste my time to lurk on other message boards. You are just embarrassing yourself. Go away.

I got it. Go think up another g8r name. We've only had about thirty of you g8rs show up.

At some point, you'd think that one of you would say,"You know, the gee eight arr thing is a bit over done and not creative any more. It makes me look like a pee brained ******. I think I'll just spell it gee aay tee oh arr to spice things up."

NawlensGator
1/12/2009, 12:05 PM
I know you all will be glad to hear our very own Timmy set the all time NCAA record for 'Jump Passes For a TD by a Southpaw' on 1/8/09. This amazing feat will saturate the airwaves for the next 4 months thanks to all the college sports expert talking heads on TV and radio. You can call and congratulate Timmy on his cell at 836-239-0890.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 12:14 PM
Why the continuing threads about Tebow on this board? If we can earn the chance to play against him again next year, we can talk again. Otherwise, I see no point.

Dio
1/12/2009, 01:32 PM
so, can we call him TRRTTM for short?

sooner518
1/12/2009, 01:48 PM
this thread got alot funnier when T*bow got translated automatically

TUSooner
1/12/2009, 02:08 PM
I see the future for him and his religious rah-rah act as being under a Revival tent, bilking idjits out of their money. My current view of him is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/timenewman.jpg

I could see him as a TV Preacher. SPEK for the fark.

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 02:10 PM
ESPN just said Tebow has surgery this morning on his non-throwup arm this morning. They say he'll be back and ready to go soon.

zeke
1/12/2009, 02:28 PM
What tt said at the news-conference earlier this year is the same speech about 50 other young men gave...except the others said it to their team-mates in the locker room with NO camera to replay it over and over and over. Look at his little add on speach he gave about coming back next year. The kid likes the attention.

And if you think tt doesn't realize that the cameras are snapping and recording his helmetless muscle flex scream deal he does you are an idiot.

Yep I'm puke a little in my mouth everytime I hear his name or see his picture.

Is he a thug like some kids who play the game, nope, but he aint what he projects himself to be either, NO WHERE NEAR what the media makes him out to be either.

MamaMia
1/12/2009, 02:46 PM
Let it goYOU let it go mister!

God, I hate it when some internet user name gets all bossy. :D

Tim Tebow is a wolf in sheep's clothing, evident in the fact that our quarterback was not the one who got the unsportsmanlike call.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2009, 02:50 PM
I know you all will be glad to hear our very own Timmy set the all time NCAA record for 'Jump Passes For a TD by a Southpaw' on 1/8/09. This amazing feat will saturate the airwaves for the next 4 months thanks to all the college sports expert talking heads on TV and radio. You can call and congratulate Timmy on his cell at 836-239-0890.

Hey. You tricked me. I almost green spekked you for that. That was a close one.

NawlensGator
1/12/2009, 02:55 PM
Maybe you could put a sticky thread at the top of this board giving daily updates and latest news articles on what Timmy accomplishes/does/says/etc everyday for the forseeable future. Then all Sooner Nation could keep current on the amazing life of Timmy.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2009, 02:59 PM
Maybe you could put a sticky thread at the top of this board giving daily updates and latest news articles on what Timmy accomplishes/does/says/etc everyday for the forseeable future. Then all Sooner Nation could keep current on the amazing life of Timmy.

ESPN already did that to Sportscenter.

007sooner
1/12/2009, 03:03 PM
Hate is a strong word, but since the only thing I have heard recently regarding sports has been hyperbole, I am going with the flow here.

I watched the game at a bar and got several texts that the announcers were talking only about tt. I just finished watching the game and taking notes and here is what I came up with.

First and foremost the adoration of tt was ridiculous and was not sent Bradford's way. In the first half tt was not effective in the least. He threw 2 picks. Harvin was the playmaker. OU's offense was moving the ball at will and Bradford was getting no love. The level of play wasn't even close. tt was weak. Bradford was strong.

First half mentions of tt by name (not including face time, graphic pop ups, and special stories, jeez) - 55
Times he was referred to as Superman- 3
Times that Bradford was mentioned by name - 45

During the Half Time report, both qb's were mention only twice.

During the second half tt's play improved considerably. This is when it got grotesque. I stopped when the game clock hit 0:00.

Second half mentions of tt by name - 64
Referred to as Superman - 1
Times Bradford was mentioned by name - 22

Total tt mentions - 123
Total Sam Bradford mentions - 67

Gushing comments about tt during the game -

"The Passion, the Fire of the unquestioned greatest leader in college football and an even more impressive young man."

"if you are lucky enough to spend five or twenty minutes around The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah your life is better for it."

"Wow. Desire. Power."

The announcers then spoke of tt's Ole Miss post game press conference and quoted it verbatim. Then they played the clip. I had to hear the same thing twice.

"His remarkable achievements off the field define him far more than those on the field... he fed needy children... lived in an orphanage, a leper colony. Just an extraordinary young man."

"He's an AMAAAAAZING kid"

"So many things you hear about him and none of it does him justice."

On Dom Franks comment of tt- "That might be the single most ridiculous statement that anybody has ever uttered."

The announcers also said that there are a bunch of kids at these missions that are named after him.

After tt taunted Nic Harris with the gator chop and got a PF the announcer said "might be the first thing he has ever done wrong in his life."

WTF??? Are these ****ers out of there minds?
One of their receivers got a PF for giving a first down sign after a nice catch. The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah had a 15 yd run and got up screaming, running, waving his hands and punching the air. No question that he was celebrating and it was excessive. No flag.

One of Fla's players got a PF for taking off their helmet. When tt did it and was talking directly to an official. No flag.

Positive comments about Sam Bradford during the game -
"...the most accurate passer in college football."

"He has a different style of leadership than tt, but it's no less effective."

"...another extraordinary young man to lead [OU]."

This was a massive disparity in the type of talk about the two teams. Fla was always talked about in a positive lights, while OU was lucky to be in the game.

This is the kind of **** that makes me sick and it's why a lot of us hate ESPN (FOX too after that crap). I have been hearing about tt for 3 years and someone needs to shut the **** up about this guy before I kill him... and he rises 3 days later. BTW, how would you like to be his brothers? They have been on all of the same missions. No one talks about how great they are as humans.

Also, no one talks about how great Sam Bradford is as a human. He's awesome. He played a great game and **** espn, kirk herbstreit and those sorry Fox announcers.

Ok, I am done.

Just had lunch with someone who dropped TT's name right and left and then couldn't even come up with bradford's name. bradley? he goes.

sigh. the injustice of it.
:P

soonerhubs
1/12/2009, 03:21 PM
What makes me laugh is that the "Experts" give all the credit to little Timmy when it was the Florida Defense that was playing amazing football Thursday night.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/12/2009, 05:15 PM

Just my two cents, YMMV.

I thought the Gospel said Jesus did a gator chomp to the money changers. I could be wrong.

TopDawg
1/12/2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not going to read this whole thread, so my apologies if someone has already posted this...

There's no doubt that the media gushed over Tim. But as far as the number of times he was mentioned during the game, I think our no-huddle, hurry-up attack plays into that with less time to talk about Sam between plays. Plus, time of possession. It seems as though Florida had the ball longer in the 2nd half. That may not be right, but if they did...it certainly makes sense that they'd talk about Tim when Florida's offense is on the field and if Florida's offense is on the field more, it makes sense that they'd talk about Tim more.

delhalew
1/12/2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not going to read this whole thread, so my apologies if someone has already posted this...

There's no doubt that the media gushed over Tim. But as far as the number of times he was mentioned during the game, I think our no-huddle, hurry-up attack plays into that with less time to talk about Sam between plays. Plus, time of possession. It seems as though Florida had the ball longer in the 2nd half. That may not be right, but if they did...it certainly makes sense that they'd talk about Tim when Florida's offense is on the field and if Florida's offense is on the field more, it makes sense that they'd talk about Tim more.

Except that we didn't run the hurry up. Florida ran 4 more plays than we did.

TopDawg
1/12/2009, 06:16 PM
Except that we didn't run the hurry up. Florida ran 4 more plays than we did.

And they had the ball about 10 minutes longer than we did.

You're right...we didn't run the hurry-up very much...but we ran the no-huddle a lot and always hurried up to the line. That changes the amount of time the announcers will spend talking about the previous play. If you're giving the illusion that you're about to run the next play, the announcers don't think they need to fill time by talking about the last play.

Crimsontothecore
1/12/2009, 08:13 PM
Anyone else hear Jim Traber today when he went off on a tangent about anyone who criticizes Tebow? He basically said that people who question Tebow only do so because they can't fathom that such a great and special kid really exists. He said that if this were biblical times, Tebow would probably be stoned to death for being so godly.
I used to have a small measure of respect for Traber but this had to be the most idiotic rant I've ever heard from him.

delhalew
1/12/2009, 09:00 PM

You're right...we didn't run the hurry-up very much...but we ran the no-huddle a lot and always hurried up to the line. That changes the amount of time the announcers will spend talking about the previous play. If you're giving the illusion that you're about to run the next play, the announcers don't think they need to fill time by talking about the last play.

Yeah sorry. I wasn't debating your main point. Just saying that was the slowest hurry up I'd ever seen. With the exception of a couple of textbook drives ending in disaster.

A Sooner in Texas
1/12/2009, 09:13 PM
The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah

heh. Whoever did this, it's greatness.

TopDawg
1/13/2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah sorry. I wasn't debating your main point. Just saying that was the slowest hurry up I'd ever seen. With the exception of a couple of textbook drives ending in disaster.

Yeah...I would've liked to have seen us push it a little more.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/13/2009, 11:45 AM

But double the mentions? Remember seeing any shots of Bradford on the sideline? 2 maybe. Tebow? Holy Moses. Tons of times.

The cut aways to video clips and the special features?

The drive that we started from their 35 and drove down to the one and got stopped... total of ZERO mentions of Bradford. Not once. When Greshem caught one of the TDs there was no mention of Bradford. Only Gresham.

TopDawg
1/13/2009, 12:12 PM
But double the mentions? Remember seeing any shots of Bradford on the sideline? 2 maybe. The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah? Holy Moses. Tons of times.

Well, I'd have to watch it again (which I'm not going to do) to get a better feel for it, but I just think that our offensive tempo and time of possession had a lot to do with that. The fact that Bradford accounted for 238 yards while Tebow accounted for 340 was part of it too.

The drive that we started from their 35 and drove down to the one and got stopped... total of ZERO mentions of Bradford. Not once.

The one that went:

1st and 10 at FLA 26 Chris Brown rush for 17 yards to the Fla 9 out-of-bounds for a 1ST down.
1st and Goal at FLA 9 Chris Brown rush for 5 yards to the Fla 4.
2nd and Goal at FLA 4 Chris Brown rush for 3 yards to the Fla 1.
3rd and Goal at FLA 1 Chris Brown rush for no gain to the Fla 1.
4th and Goal at FLA 1 Chris Brown rush for a loss of 2 yards to the Fla 3.

?

I agree that they were goofy with their drooling over Tebow...I just think there are some reasonable reasons why Tebow's name was mentioned more. I can also see why they'd be more likely to show sideline shots of Tebow instead of Sam...he's much more animated. Just like how we used to see a lot more shots of our defensive coordinator when it was Mike Stoops. It's not because they used to like our defensive coordinator and now they don't...it's because Mike Stoops makes for better tv than Brent.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/13/2009, 12:35 PM
I agree that they were goofy with their drooling over The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah...I just think there are some reasonable reasons why The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah's name was mentioned more. I can also see why they'd be more likely to show sideline shots of The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah instead of Sam...he's much more animated. Just like how we used to see a lot more shots of our defensive coordinator when it was Mike Stoops. It's not because they used to like our defensive coordinator and now they don't...it's because Mike Stoops makes for better tv than Brent.

CB was the drive, correct. But when tt was back, it was "tt changing the signal" or "tt gives it to Harvin", etc. Not once was Bradford mentioned on that other drive. And not mentioning Bradford on a td pass is weird.

I think I have pretty much beaten this one to death. I have considered running 2 stop watches and comparing face time with Time of Possesion, but this isn't an obsession. It's an annoyance.

I can't stand unfairness.

TopDawg
1/13/2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, the TD pass thing is weird.

I totally understand why it annoys some people. And while it might be unfair, I think it's unrealistic to expect it to be fair. The fact of the matter is that Tim outperformed Bradford in the game and was on the field longer than Bradford. It would stand to reason that he'd be acknowledged more. I'd argue that to acknowledge Bradford the same amount as Tim would be unfair because Tim did more.

Yes, many of the analysts and commentators went overboard with their praise of Tim. But the fact remains that he was the quarterback, passing leader, rushing leader and emotional leader of the national championship team and he's been doing missionary work for a good part of his life. I'd argue that he SHOULD be the player getting the most media attention.

I think we just need to understand that it's cyclical. As annoying as it is when other teams/players get the attention, it makes it that much more rewarding when it's given to our teams and players. One week after half of the posters on this board are bitching about how much ESPN hates OU because they're (correctly) picking Florida to win the game, ESPN dedicates a segment to how amazing Blake Griffin is.

cheezyq
1/13/2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, the TD pass thing is weird.
...The fact of the matter is that Tim outperformed Bradford in the game and was on the field longer than Bradford...

It would be silly to believe THAT was the reason they hyped Tebow over Bradford. In the first half, Bradford clearly outplayed Tebow, and Thom Brennamen went on his absurd spiel about "you're better just for having been around the guy" bull crap.

Yes, many of the analysts and commentators went overboard with their praise of Tim. But the fact remains that he was the quarterback, passing leader, rushing leader and emotional leader of the national championship team and he's been doing missionary work for a good part of his life. I'd argue that he SHOULD be the player getting the most media attention.

The argument isn't so much about Tebow over Bradford as it is Tebow being deified. Tebow is the youngest of 5 brothers. Where was all the media love for his entire family when they ALL packed up their things to do missionary work? The ONLY reason that ESPN cares about Tebow is because he can run over a linebacker. They don't care about the missionary work, they just care that he's a physical specimen. They use the missionary stuff to overexpose him and oversell their product, which is truly sad. Because as good as the work is that his family did, it becomes cheapened by ESPN's overindulgence.

I think we just need to understand that it's cyclical. As annoying as it is when other teams/players get the attention, it makes it that much more rewarding when it's given to our teams and players. One week after half of the posters on this board are bitching about how much ESPN hates OU because they're (correctly) picking Florida to win the game, ESPN dedicates a segment to how amazing Blake Griffin is.

Yeah, but you don't hear stupid comments like, "We're all better for having been in the mere presence of the greatest human being ever to grace the dirt we walk on with his glorious, cancer-curing feet" when it comes to Blake Griffin. You DO here that when ESPN gushes over Tebow.

soonerfan715
1/13/2009, 01:30 PM
JW3K- I wonder if your count on the times T.T. was called "superman" is correct. I remember thinking "if they call him superman one more time
I am crawling thru the TV and killing someone!!" Give it a rest!! He is a good christian kid (although I agree with SanDiegoSoonerGals opinion on his lack of humility) but he is NOT faster than a speeding bullet, not faster than a locomotive, can't leap tall buildings in a single bound or bend steel with a single hand!! He is a kid who plays football with, honestly, some mediocre stats. Franks was right on the money, Teblow would have been the 4th best QB in the Big 12 this year. No insult, just the truth.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/13/2009, 01:40 PM
The fact of the matter is that Tim outperformed Bradford in the game and was on the field longer than Bradford.

But the fact remains that he was the quarterback, passing leader, rushing leader and emotional leader of the national championship team and he's been doing missionary work for a good part of his life. I'd argue that he SHOULD be the player getting the most media attention.

One week after half of the posters on this board are bitching about how much ESPN hates OU because they're (correctly) picking Florida to win the game, ESPN dedicates a segment to how amazing Blake Griffin is.

tt did NOT out perform SB in the first half and it wasn't even close, yet he still had 20% more mentions. TOP was pretty close.

Calling the QB of any team the passing leader is redundant. Sam just won the Heisman and smashed records for offensive production. He's a leader. I am not sure what an emotional leader is. Sam is a great student and role model. In fact, I would RATHER my daughter date SB than the fanatical god zombie tt.

Hey, I just came up with god-zombie. I am gonna hang on to that one.

Who is Blake Griffin? B-ball? Not my thing.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/13/2009, 01:49 PM
JW3K- I wonder if your count on the times T.T. was called "superman" is correct. I remember thinking "if they call him superman one more time
I am crawling thru the TV and killing someone!!" Give it a rest!! He is a good christian kid (although I agree with SanDiegoSoonerGals opinion on his lack of humility) but he is NOT faster than a speeding bullet, not faster than a locomotive, can't leap tall buildings in a single bound or bend steel with a single hand!! He is a kid who plays football with, honestly, some mediocre stats. Franks was right on the money, Teblow would have been the 4th best QB in the Big 12 this year. No insult, just the truth.

I am pretty close, I think. They referred to him as #15 a few times that I didn't count.

This really does suck. Again, he is totally weird and I wouldn't hang out with the guy, but he's probably a decent guy.

Just having this thread persist this long has to indicate that the sports channels, whatever they may be, need to spread the love around when it comes to good kids and not hold one above the rest.

He's a great player, but I call bull**** if anyone says he's the best. Kid's like Bradford and Paul Thompson, etc. should get far more credit than they do.

TheGodfather889
1/13/2009, 06:28 PM
Too bad it's not currently very interesting. His future appears to be even bleaker.

adoniijahsooner
1/13/2009, 07:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/timetimjim.jpg

TMcGee86
1/13/2009, 08:04 PM
personally, I dont like the guy at all, and it has nothing to do with religion or anything similar.

It's becasue he strikes me as a hyper-competative dooshrocket. I think that's precisely the reason he's so religious, he seems the type to get so into everything he does that he cannot possibly not be the best at it.

He's probably that guy that if you were to play xbox and you happened to beat him, he would stay up all night memorizing all the plays' probability of success and then demand a rematch in the morning.

Or the guy who if you give them a friendly punch to the arm, they insist on giving a slightly harder punch back to you, and would keep punching you back until you allow him to have the last hit or you knock each other out.

Dont get me wrong, this makes him a fantastic football player and a hell of an athlete, I take nothing away from him on the field.

But he just seems like a flipping doosh to be around.

bonkuba
1/13/2009, 08:48 PM
Tried to like the guy......really did. I had an open mind going into the game. All I can say now is that I hope he trips on his cape or the Sea comes crashing down on him as he is parting it for his faithful flock (flock=dumbasses).

OUAlumni1990
1/13/2009, 09:04 PM
When he started balling like a school girl after the Ole Miss game, thats when the doosh flags started flying...

bonkuba
1/13/2009, 09:36 PM
When he started balling like a school girl after the Ole Miss game, thats when the doosh flags started flying...

:D :D

L-Boy
1/13/2009, 09:43 PM
Speaking of hyping Tim Te bow, he is getting plenty of free pub on www.soonerfans.com. There must be something to this hype.

Oh, and I am sure sooner fans will agree 100% with this article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/01/13/mailbag/index.html?section=si_latest

I understand in today's age of media overkill, the most popular players get an extraordinary amount of coverage, and I understand we media types tend to throw hyperbole around too generously. But to anyone who's tired of reading or hearing about Tebow's on- and off-field greatness, I ask you: Who/what would you rather hear about instead? The prima donnas who view college as an unavoidable stopover on the way to the NFL? The guys who know they're so good that they only play hard when they feel like it? The guys who don't go to class, run afoul of the law and are genuinely jerks?

I'll admit it: I'm fully aboard the Tim Tebow bandwagon, and I couldn't be happier that he's returning for his senior year. In 10 years of covering this sport, I've never had so much fun watching a guy play -- and I think it's because of just how much fun he seems to be having.

Sooner70
1/13/2009, 10:14 PM
Tebow can't control what the media does. Like Stoops says, the media leads these guys down a path sometimes in their questioning, or their human interest stories in order to sell air time. There's no sense in blaming TT for all the press and accolades. I wonder if even he'd think it was over the top. I'd hope so. A fellow Sooner at work, an avowed heterosexual and happily married with three sons, said after listening to the announcers he was wondering about what he was missing in life not knowing Mr. Tebow personally. Some of those announcer comments seemed a little much. I like Ground Attack's cheesecake analogy. I think it's right on. TT is a great athlete & leader and appears to be a man of great faith who lives it in the way he feels he'd directed to. Why should he be maligned for either that or the press thereof? It's the media that's the problem. Too much cheesecake.

adoniijahsooner
1/13/2009, 10:18 PM
every opponents best player gets pub on our board. chase daniel, colt mccoy, and tim tebow. it will pass once spring football begins, and definitely when the season begins. gator boards still talk about the sooners, so cut the hypocrisy.
do you like the fark that soonerlb did for tebow?

TopDawg
1/14/2009, 01:25 AM
tt did NOT out perform SB in the first half and it wasn't even close, yet he still had 20% more mentions. TOP was pretty close.

By my count, Sam had 140 yards and Tim had 168. Both had 1 TD. Sam had 1 INT and Tim had 2.

It's pretty close in terms of production, and in an entire half of football, Tim had 13 more mentions. Heading into our final drive...the two-minute drill that ended with the goalline INT...Tim had been the rusher or passer on 24 plays and Sam had been the rusher or passer on 13 plays. It stands to reason Tim would have more mentions up to that point. Sam got another 11 plays on that drive, equaling things out at 24 plays each, but like I said earlier, I think part of the reason they talked about Tim more has to do with our offense's tempo...which was faster during the drive Bradford was most active in. Plus, your count of "name mentions" doesn't take into account negative mentions. A few of those extra mentions of Tim probably came after those interceptions.

Hey, if you want to hate Tim, don't let me stop you. And if you want to mock the media for their love-affair with him, go right ahead. I just think this "number of times he was mentioned" thing is a bit of a stretch. I know I'm not alone but I know you're not either...I was just stating my case for why I think it's not quite as criminal as you made it out to be.

Crucifax Autumn
1/14/2009, 01:52 AM
Speaking of hyping Tim Te bow, he is getting plenty of free pub on www.soonerfans.com. There must be something to this hype.

Oh, and I am sure sooner fans will agree 100% with this article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/01/13/mailbag/index.html?section=si_latest

I'm so FRIGGIN impressed! A swamptard actually managed to beat the Te-Scrote-Bag filter with...

Wait for it....

Wait some more....

Wait.......

For.........

It...........

The friggin' space bar! I congratulate you swamptard! You found all the keys!!!!!!!!!

Where's the "any" key????

Dunno?????

The key is that if you actually believe the shat you're spewing out your azz than you are even more idiotic than your nut-swingin' bretheren!

I guess being popular with the media is a good thing and proves the quality of your work....

Much like My Chemical Romance, William Control, and Fallout Boy are now classic rock and make Mozart, Bach, The Doors, Sabbath, Hendrix, Maiden and anyone before them chumps! Yep...Popularity TODAY matters!

Just ask Paris Hilton in 5 years!

You ARE the Weakest L-Boy!

:D

Crucifax Autumn
1/14/2009, 01:59 AM
An that article is full of gay love...

"Not that there's anything wrong with that", but give me the swimsuit issue. These guys fantasizing about having the ole browneye invaded by a saint just ain't my bag!

LosAngelesSooner
1/14/2009, 04:18 PM
I find Tebow to be a disingenuous, hypocritical ****** bag.

Carry on.