PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. K-State Recap

Sooner04
1/10/2009, 05:13 PM
I already had my theme picked out for this game about ten minutes into the contest. No matter how good Blake is, or how good Willie is, we're a point guard short. K-State, a team full of feisty, but mediocre, guards, was eating our lunch and they aren't any good. Troublesome was the fact they were making us look worse. Austin was having as bad a game as I could remember. I looked at the post game box score and was surprised to see he was credited with only one turnover. There was a stretch in the first half where he drove into the lane repeatedly and never got off a shot. He was either stripped or blocked, and down the floor went the Wildcats.

A point guard short, and for a while an entire backcourt short. Crocker was way off, and Willie looked timid. We're down 26-19, and K-State is hot from three. Capel calls timeout and comes out with a defense very warm to the hearts of Sooner BBall fans: 1-3-1. You'll remember the havoc the '02 team wrought with Daryan Selvy uptop. While this zone didn't cause that kind of chaos, it completely befuddled K-State. They put up a goose egg for the remainder of the half while we scored the final ten points. I was a little shocked we didn't stick with it because K-State had a little success at the start of the second half, but when we went back to it the boys in purple went back inside their shell and we pulled away for a 61-53 win that was more lopsided than the final indicated.

As hot and cold as I run with him, I thought Austin Johnson played a wonderful second half, and it showed in how efficient our offense became once he dislodged his cranium from his rectal cavity. His five assists led the team, and his six rebounds were second best. After K-State tied the game at 31, AJ hit a key trey that put us up 34-31. We never trailed again. Are we still a point guard short? I think so. Can we beat a lot of teams when we get competent, efficient play at that spot? I think so there too.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 12
2nd - 17 [dang me]
3rd - 16 [flesh-eating bacteria]
4th - 16 [gout in the bloodstream]

[b]SCORING LEADERS:
29 - Blake Griffin: This easily could've been 40. He missed quite a few close ones, and he was a one-man bricklaying crew at the line.
10 - Willie Warren: An oustanding second half.

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
15 - Blake Griffin: A lot of them came early. Couldn't go nuts after them because of foul trouble.
7 - Taylor Griffin: solid early.
6 - Austin Johnson: many key ones down the stretch.

PLUSES:
1. Blake Griffin: 29 and 15, and that's probably a tad low. He dominated today, but he could've had a few more. The zone and foul trouble caused him to not pursue several defensive boards with his normal vigor. He easily could've gone for 40 and 20. EASILY.

2. Willie Warren: Hit a couple of key threes when K-State tried to make a run early in the second half. One of them was a key response. I thought he was too timid early, but I also didn't think they were looking for him while Blake was getting isolation. When we needed him in the second half, he was there.

3. Austin Johnson: Solely a second half plus, because he was rancid baby food in the first half. He did a great job filling up the sheet in the second half, though, and was an integral cog when we pulled away. Got to give us better minutes early or we'll dig a big hole against the better teams.

4. Rebounding: Aside from a couple of second half stretches where we treated the caroms like loose strains of Ebola, I thought we did a great job of controlling the glass. We had 15 offensive boards, and I know K-State had 14, but half of those came on two separate possessions. The rest of the time, the glass was ours.

MINUSES:
1. Bench: Hard to imagine the bench every being less useful than it was today. The bench combined for 19 minutes, 1 point, three rebounds and four fouls while only taking three shots. The writers for The Simpsons had many names for Homer's crew at the Power Plant in Sector 7-G. In that light, our bench today was either a pack of carbon blobs or organ banks. Whatever they were, they were useless. Thankfully, they weren't needed. They will be Monday night.

2. Denis Clemente - You may be Roberto's second cousin. And you may wear 21, just like Roberto Clemente but you, boy, are no Roberto Clemente. I think I found a guy to root against EVERY night.

3. Free Throw Shooting: It's officially epidemic now. 10-21, a balmy 48%. That's as wretched as wretched can be.

4. Taylor Griffin: I thought he played OK, but at the end he had his brain snatched. He's a senior, and he turned it over on THREE straight possessions while we're trying to kill the clock. Thank God we were up 16, because they cut that thing down to single-digits quick. WAKE UP!

It may sound like I bitch a lot, but that's not my intent. I just think our guys are prone to brilliant stretches followed by Sampsonian moments of carelessness. When we play with our heads on straight, we play like a REALLY good basketball team. When we play like a bunch of carbon blobs, we're not worth a chicken-fried flip. Half-assed effort on Monday will be greeted by a two-cheeked butt kicking. We'll have to bring it against a team who has beaten us six straight times by an average score of 71-54. We already righted a big-time wrong today by winning the first road game against an opponent in the North of Capel's era.

Now let's get Jeff's first win against that burnt orange scum Monday night.

Thank you for your time.

OUSKINS
1/10/2009, 06:31 PM
4. Rebounding: Aside from a couple of second half stretches where we treated the caroms like loose strains of Ebola

Maybe your best line yet! :)

My overall assesment of your assesment is that your assesment was a bit too critical on this one. I thought we played a good overall game. That's my assesment for you.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2009, 06:53 PM
Here's my assessment:

I'm over Austin Johnson. I've defended him for a couple of years now, and I'm finally to the point where I'm going to say that he is the person who's holding this team back.

I hate saying it, because I know he's played through a lot of pain and he's toughed out a lot of stuff for OU. I just can't imagine how good Blake Griffin would be with a good point guard feeding him in the post.

Cam
1/10/2009, 07:09 PM
I've never understood the love affair for AJ from our coaches. I've just never thought he was that good. He's about as consistent as my golf game.

badger
1/10/2009, 07:33 PM
Finally people are jumping on my (NP) AJ disappointment bandwagon. I hope it inspires the kid to greatness, because when he's a cog in the system it's a thing of beauty. It's when he tries to create or drive things that everything goes to hell.

I've figured out what it is, though. he drives and creates without a plan. Other point guards go into the paint trying to pull a big man away from a post or to create an angle for a pass, but AJ does it expecting someone else to do it for him.

Just... stop doing that, and I'll go back to talking about how awesome that three was from the corner when everyone had forgotten about you on defense. Very few players have that ability to slink away from the defense without it noticing, and AJ has that. You never see Cade do it, and Crocker is a wrecking ball out there. But at least 2-3 times a game you see AJ all by his lonesome out there where the defense should be. Just keep doing that, AJ!

-NP

Sooner04
1/10/2009, 09:04 PM
I've never understood the love affair for AJ from our coaches. I've just never thought he was that good. He's about as consistent as my golf game.
We've tried like hell to recruit over him, we've just missed every time. He's really not a point guard. In '06 we brought in Chris Walker out of JUCO and, bless his heart, just wasn't very good. We brought in Omar last year, and he's decent, but he's too short.

We've got the guy for it next year, Tommy Mason-Griffin, but the rest of the parts will be gone. The maddening cycle continues.

8timechamps
1/10/2009, 09:05 PM
No doubt this was a nice win (for all the reasons you mentioned above).

I'm still not sold. Not sold on this teams determination when it's asked to come together. Mabye "sold" isn't the right word. Concerned maybe better.

K State is a decent team, and possibly a tournament bubble team (although they are probably a NIT bound team). As I mentioned in OUSKINS thread, Blake was played by "single coverage", not surprised he had a good game.

My concern is when we play our conference competition with good post games. That starts Monday. We'll get to see just how much the "other 4" can come together.

Boomer.....
1/11/2009, 12:16 PM
As wretched as AJ is offensively most of the time, he does play some good defense. He guards well and blocks a lot of shots.

sooner2b09
1/11/2009, 02:03 PM
I just love how athletic we are. When we went into that 1-3-1 zone we absolutely destroyed Kansas States offensive game plan by using our long arms to make those small passing windows even smaller. Granted K State isnt a top tier team but I think Capel did an outstanding job by implementing that defense.

Cam
1/11/2009, 05:31 PM
As wretched as AJ is offensively most of the time, he does play some good defense. He guards well and blocks a lot of shots.

Very true. He's much more consistent defensively.

the_ouskull
1/11/2009, 06:56 PM
I just wanted to jump in here to note that I've been saying terribly disparaging things about Austin Johnson, his play, and the level of disappointment I have in his development as a player for the past three years. Even if Blake leaves, we have the potential to be a better team next season, simply because AJ will be gone. I'm not kidding.

the_ouskull

John Kochtoston
1/11/2009, 07:08 PM
We've tried like hell to recruit over him, we've just missed every time. He's really not a point guard. In '06 we brought in Chris Walker out of JUCO and, bless his heart, just wasn't very good. We brought in Omar last year, and he's decent, but he's too short.

Omar is at best, decent. I was going to type serviceable, but I'll concede decent.

He's still a better offensive point guard than AJ.

Newbomb Turk
1/11/2009, 07:09 PM
I can't believe all of the hate for AJ.

04 said it. He's not a point and I guess he's our best option at that position.

Sooner24
1/11/2009, 09:47 PM
Any conference win on the road is a good win.

Judye
1/11/2009, 10:53 PM
UNDERRATED AUSTIN (Soonersports)
A Sooner who tends to get lost among OU’s higher-profile players is senior point guard Austin Johnson. The 6-3, 176-pounder ranks just fifth on the team with his 6.6 points per outing but ranks among the Big 12’s leaders in several other categories. Johnson leads the league (ranks in the top 10 nationally) in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.3-to-1) and ranks seventh in assists (4.3) and and eighth in steals (1.6). He also ranks just outside the top 10 in blocked shots (has 15 in 16 games).

I realize some of you AJ haters won't know what these stats mean, but the ones that do should realize that things are not as bad at the point as some would like you to believe. Know that grass is greener on the other side but you might surprised next year that things are not as great as you thought they would be with him gone. I am really impressed with him being ranked in the top 10 nationally in the assist-to-turnover ratio.

Ton Loc
1/11/2009, 10:57 PM
I can't believe all of the hate for AJ.

04 said it. He's not a point and I guess he's our best option at that position.

No **** about that. He drives me nuts some times but still. The dude has given more for his team than anyone else. Played through pain. Played through horrible teams. Played with the fact that the coaches were trying to constantly replace him bringing new point guards every year. Those people they brought in always sucked. And he continues to be our best option at the point even with his turnovers and on/off shooting. He plays defense, he plays hard, and he has kept us in more than a handful games. Jesus, we win our first Big12 road game by what should have been double digits and it turns into an AJ bashing thread.

Alright, rant over. Fantastic way to start the year. Let's go beat the ever living crap out of TX. And if ESPN says one thing about the fball team I'm going to throw up, hit mute, and listen to Bob.

Boomer Sooner

PDXsooner
1/12/2009, 12:13 AM
man, it's nice to see that others recognize that Austin Johnson's game is a FRAUD. If he brings the ball up against any type of decent defense in a clutch situation, chalk it up as an instant TURNOVER.

John Kochtoston
1/12/2009, 12:14 AM
UNDERRATED AUSTIN (Soonersports)
A Sooner who tends to get lost among OU’s higher-profile players is senior point guard Austin Johnson. The 6-3, 176-pounder ranks just fifth on the team with his 6.6 points per outing but ranks among the Big 12’s leaders in several other categories. Johnson leads the league (ranks in the top 10 nationally) in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.3-to-1) and ranks seventh in assists (4.3) and and eighth in steals (1.6). He also ranks just outside the top 10 in blocked shots (has 15 in 16 games).

I realize some of you AJ haters won't know what these stats mean, but the ones that do should realize that things are not as bad at the point as some would like you to believe. Know that grass is greener on the other side but you might surprised next year that things are not as great as you thought they would be with him gone. I am really impressed with him being ranked in the top 10 nationally in the assist-to-turnover ratio.

I don't hate Austin Johnson. He's a Sooner and, thus, deserving of support. I hate Illinois Nazis and Longwhorns.

If I was passing to Blake Griffin and Willie Warren, I'd have a pretty decent assist-to-turnover ratio, as well.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2009, 01:08 AM
Wow. And here I thought I expressed my respect for what he's tried to do and how hard he's worked.

And yeah, what ^he^ said. When you're throwing the ball into Blake Griffin in the post, you're going to wind up with some good assist numbers.

Judye
1/12/2009, 01:29 AM
man, it's nice to see that others recognize that Austin Johnson's game is a FRAUD. If he brings the ball up against any type of decent defense in a clutch situation, chalk it up as an instant TURNOVER.

Is this the reason he has way less turnovers on our team while handling the ball the majority of the time. Furthermore has the second least turnovers in the assist to turnover in any of the Big12 players.
You guys really need to check out the stats before you spout out your unfounded quotes.

John Kochtoston
1/12/2009, 01:48 AM
Furthermore has the second least turnovers in the assist to turnover in any of the Big12 players.

Which statistic is it that measures driving into a triple-team, then having to heave the ball to a teammate with a short shot clock after said drive results in 10 seconds of wasted offense? I get that one and field-goal percentage confused.

Ton Loc
1/12/2009, 08:43 AM
Here are the last seasons of the last three point guards we've had. I got the stats at statsheet.com in case you want to throw a larger more encompassing comparison together. I threw in AJ's stats from last since this year is not even half way over.

Let the discussion cough: (argument) continue.

Quannas White
2002-2003
Assists per Game 4.1
Turnovers per Game 1.6

Drew Lavender
2004-2005
Assists per Game 3.2
Turnovers per Game 2

Austin Johnson
2008-2009
Assists per Game 4.3
Turnovers per Game 1.3

2007-2008
Assists per Game 2.7
Turnovers per Game 1.3

Sooner04
1/12/2009, 09:46 AM
Is this the reason he has way less turnovers on our team while handling the ball the majority of the time. Furthermore has the second least turnovers in the assist to turnover in any of the Big12 players.
You guys really need to check out the stats before you spout out your unfounded quotes.
Most of us think this team plays it's best in the transition game, which is where Johnson is at his worst. We've got quite a few finishers out there, Johnson too often presses when he doesn't need to and slows it down when he needs to press.

Did you watch the first half Saturday? In a stretch of about five possesions, Johnson took the ball into the lane four times and never got off a shot. Twice he was stripped and twice he was blocked. If we're going to go as far as we're capable of going, he's got to be stronger with the ball.

NormanPride
1/12/2009, 10:07 AM
I feel really ****ty for stirring up stuff about AJ. I never meant to hate on the guy, but I kept hearing people talk about his A/T ratio and his amazing defense like he was an all-conference player, and I disagreed. I've gotten too vocal about it, and that was wrong of me. He is a tremendous defender and as I said previously he has a knack for finding weak spots in the D.

He's not a point guard, and he's been forced to play one every year because of our recruiting mishaps. It's not his fault and all he's done is play his heart out and learn how to feed the post better and better every year. I would say that's probably the thing he has improved on the most, and it is very important with who we have down there.

Threads like these have a tendency to get back to the players, so, I'm sorry for being harsh AJ. Especially after a good road win in the Big 12.

skycat
1/12/2009, 01:00 PM
From an outsider's point of view, you guys (<- all Sooners look alike to me ;)) underrate Johnson and severely overrate Crocker.

Ton Loc
1/12/2009, 02:10 PM

Threads like these have a tendency to get back to the players, so, I'm sorry for being harsh AJ. Especially after a good road win in the Big 12.

Very nice
http://bp0.blogger.com/_5iR59eaMjcQ/Rt8aSdp2Z_I/AAAAAAAAAG0/pQdezVArll4/s320/hand-thumbs-up.jpg