PDA

View Full Version : Up-Tempo offense. Do we really run it?

8timechamps
1/10/2009, 05:11 PM
With a few days behind me to recover and think about things, I watched the game again (for the last time). It's effortless to find the flaws in our game when you know the outcome. So, to analyze it would be pointless.

It struck me as frustrating Thursday night, and just strikes me as odd now, but I just can't really understand what type of tempo we are really trying to play.

There were so many times we snapped the ball Thursday with 5 seconds or less on the play clock (thanks to Fox's play "time until snap" clock when we had the ball).

Even in a "conventional" offense, you can huddle, sub personnel, break the huddle and be at the line with 10 seconds or more on the clock. I understand that not huddling keeps the defense from substituting many (if any) players. However, the times that we ran a real up tempo offense (snapping the ball within 15 seconds of the ball being spotted), we were truly successful.

Which, unfortunately enough, reminded me of the Texas game. Almost the same situation.

I think if KW spends time in the offseason, speeding up the offense, we could be just as lethal (if not more so).

I'm not dumb, I know that you can't run an offense like that the entire game, but you should be able to run at least every other drive like that. Then again, what do I know?!

bluedogok
1/10/2009, 07:00 PM
Sometimes I think the play callers tend to "over-think" the situation and try to call a "perfect" play but it allows the defense to get set. They seemed to move well when they were running more of a "hurry-up" instead of the no huddle and constantly checking back to the sideline and implementing a change late on the clock.

setem
1/10/2009, 07:09 PM
We do run the up-tempo sometimes! The other night when we were running the field on Florida we were running the up-tempo! When we got to the line and took our time to run the play that is not what I consider the up-tempo! Why we didn't stick with the fast paced game plan is beyond me! They get paid the big bucks for a reason so I can't complain.

Hindsight is 20-20...

8timechamps
1/10/2009, 08:32 PM
We do run the up-tempo sometimes! The other night when we were running the field on Florida we were running the up-tempo! When we got to the line and took our time to run the play that is not what I consider the up-tempo! Why we didn't stick with the fast paced game plan is beyond me! They get paid the big bucks for a reason so I can't complain.

Hindsight is 20-20...

That's what I'm saying.

If we stuck to that style a little more, it just seems like it would be that much more effective.

I'd love to see us spend some of the offseason working on it.

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 10:24 PM
I'm sure we will and if Sam stays part of that work will be getting him ready to call a lot of his own audibles which will spped things up significantly.

L-Boy
1/10/2009, 10:53 PM
I suspect UF having 5 weeks to prepare for it had something to do with it. I am sure they had people going over every game again and again, especially those games and those plays where things seemed to break down, or at least looking at what kind of looks tended to cause the offense to Prairie dog and call another play.

The UF D was changing their looks a lot, putting up a lot of fake blitzes. A team like UF can take more risks than some of the weaker Big 12 defenses.

MamaMia
1/10/2009, 10:59 PM
Maybe our no huddle offense would have been more effective if Cherry and his keystone gang would have gotten out of the way. The refs wouldn't move until the gators defense was set.

The offense had to keep changing it up because of that.

tulsaoilerfan
1/10/2009, 11:03 PM
Maybe our no huddle offense would have been more effective if Cherry and his keystone gang would have gotten out of the way. The refs wouldn't move until the gators defense was set.

The offense had to keep changing it up because of that.

What about the Florida player that kicked the ball on purpose while we were trying to line up? That was total bull****

8timechamps
1/10/2009, 11:18 PM
For those not familiar with how the no huddle works (or "up tempo) in today's college football, here's a quick overview:

The offense comes to the line (not fully set), sometimes with a play already called, sometimes not. The offensive coordinator "reads" the play from the booth or the sideline (the booth in our case). If he likes the way the defense is set, he'll keep that play "on", the ball is snapped and the play ensues.

Here's where it get's tricky: If the O-coordinator doesn't like the way the defense is set, he'll send down another play that is then sent in from the sideline (or he'll call it from the sideline).

The Oklahoma version puts Sam to the line (with a primary play) to "check" the defense. Sam gets set to take the snap, once the defense moves into their set, Sam backs out to see whether he is to stay with that play or go to a different one.

It's a cat and mouse game.

As Crucifax Autum said above, if Sam stays, it would be ideal to give him some of the play calling duties. That way, he could identify the changes in the defense and make the call on the fly. Speed things up.

westcoast_sooner
1/11/2009, 12:29 AM
Also, I did notice a couple of times that the offense snapped the ball when the Florida D was completely confused and was out of position. It wasn't enough, IMO and if we'd run more up-tempo, meaning get to the line quickly and go, I think it could have created some momentum.

pardon the interREDtion
1/11/2009, 12:42 AM
Seems when we go to a bowl game and have too much time to prepare, we change our philosophy on offense and forget what got us there.

pardon the interREDtion
1/11/2009, 12:44 AM
Also, all those damn time outs, breaks and tv ads really hurts our timing.