PDA

View Full Version : Who stepped up this year ?

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2009, 04:24 PM
I posted the following after the KSU "loss". I say loss, because the tone of the board was that negative you would thik we lost and I couldn't take it anymore. I was so hoping to repost this message after winning the MNC, and we came so close.

You Debbie downers are missing out on a very interesting season in 2 ways by focusing on the negative.

1) When times are tough, how a team comes together is the true test of the team and the individual players. Times are tough for the defense right now and they are struggling to find an identity. We all knew we were thin at LB all the way back to spring ball and losing RR was the worst possible guy to lose. We are forced to try new schemes and players at new positions mid-season. This is going to result in busted assignments and big plays, period. Can we find an identity? Who will step up? Can we cut down on the big plays? The clock is ticking. I find it all very interesting. I also detect a ray of hope. How many 3rd down conversions did KU have? How many forced turnovers today? How many sacks?

2) Sam and the offense are something very special this year. Remind yourself of that, cause you'll really miss it when it's gone. Even if the D can't get better, Sam and the boys are worth the price of admission.

So who did step up to get us all the way to the title game? I can't really put a finger on any one player (more on that later). The running game got a whole lot meaner and part of that was Murray getting healthy. But it was more than that because Brown and Madu also got more productive, so the line and maybe the scheme got better. The turnovers and sacks we got a peek at in the KSU game kept coming. Kickoff coverage got a little better while our kick returns got better too. Sam was not happy with his performance against KSU (less than 50%) and that never happened again. The defense definitely cut down on the big plays.

But if I had to pick the *one* key player, it would be DeMarco Murray. Not because he "stepped up", but simply because he got healthy and could play to his ability. It was not just the touches and big plays that he produced, but he forced the opponents D to account for him on every play and it opened up things for other players. This is why I so lament the fact he got injured. Both because he deserved to be in the CCG and MNC and we were not full strength without him.

(No disrespect to Reynolds here; I'm just tallking about the players that picked us up after the UT game)

JLEW1818
1/10/2009, 04:34 PM
Lewis and Clayton

Sam Bradford of course

and like I've always said, we need Chris Brown to win

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 04:37 PM
All the LB's minus Crow. Not that that was Crows fault. He got thrown into a hostile enviroment when we needed him most.

delhalew
1/10/2009, 04:40 PM
Defense as a whole. Sorry, I just cant pick one.

fadada1
1/10/2009, 04:53 PM
defense as a whole - linebackers get special recognition.